Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The creeping prominence of the Irish language

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Now seriously, I be very interested in understanding why this upsets you so much, because you are not alone in this matter. From time to time I encounter it here in Switzerland as well, where we have four national languages, one of which is also dying out.

Most people are indifferent to the fact that information is being provided in other languages so long as it is not preventing them from going about their daily life. Any yet a few people get very excited about it even though there is no logical reason for it.

So perhaps you can explain your concerns about it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's amazing the amount of zealotry that occurs with languages, imagine if historians or mathematicians went about promoting their subjects the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ireallydontknow

Your characterisation of this thread as containing aggressive hostility to the language seems patently wrong to me and perhaps explains your misconception. The most vociferous critic here has expressed his pride in Irish culture and that the language itself doesn't offend him. The issue is the way in which it is politicised, as well the tokenism of having it appear on signs not for its utility but its symbolism.

Ironically, you bemoan people saying 'only in Ireland' about annoyances common to most other countries too, but such expressions as that are themselves common to most countries!

I don't know I've ever heard an Irish person refer to someone in a derogatory way as a Paddy. And as for the belief that Ireland would be better under British rule, if it ever existed, it is now all but extinct. I can scarcely believe that you think it common. There will be some who will say John Bruton's calls for a return to the Commonwealth amount to the same thing, but as well as being a minority position, there's a very big difference between rule by Britain and being an equal member of an international political grouping to appease unionists.

An awful lot of supposition is required to interpret from my OP that I am upset/angered/etc. Another poster described me as having a 'bitch fit'. But I merely listed several examples and hypothesised that it was the result of covert language laws.

As I think should be obvious, the issue is not the reasonable inclusion of Irish, which has been on all traffic signs for generations, but the prioritising of Irish over English, which is inherently political. Hence why Darts in the last five years have reversed the announcement of stops from 'The next station is X; an chead stad eile Y' to 'An chead stad eile...The next station is...Y...X'. Ordering the announcements so that the one in the language understood by a small minority is first is incredibly indulgent.

I won't elaborate further. It's likely that if you haven't found anything in the thread compelling, nothing I will say will seem logical to you.

I don't see any prioritising of Irish over English anywhere in the country!

But even if it was, so what?

• Advertisement

I'm suggesting that independence wouldn't have helped as regards the Irish language. Prior to independence, education policy was, inter alia, to terrorise children into speaking English in preference to Irish. There was a 180 degree pivot almost instantaneously following the establishment of the Free State, to the extent that before we had a Department of Education we had a Department of Irish. But the teachers and parents of the immediate post-independence generation were carrying a message of antipathy to Irish that had been beaten into them - in many cases literally - for almost 70 years prior to that. It is hard to imagine how those teachers and parents could possibly have imparted anything like a positive attitude to Irish in the children in their charge or in their care. In fact, it is easy to imagine how they would have done the opposite, not in spite of the official policy of the State, but because of it. Past trauma is carried and held by people every bit as effectively as present trauma, so I'm not convinced that your mid-20th century illustrations hold up.

The Newfoundland thing is interesting, but I don't know enough about the make up of the immigrant population of Newfoundland to comment with any authority. There was a time when there were almost 200,000 Gàidhlig speakers in Nova Scotia, although today sadly there are fewer than 1,000. It's hard to believe that a motion to make Gàidhlig one of Canada's official parliamentary languages made it to the floor of the Canadian House of Commons.

My takeaway from your closing paragraph is that people aren't hostile to Irish because of learning it at school. They'd just prefer never to hear it again. That's probably my analysis, and the good news for them is that they'll eventually get their way.

In 2020/21, children in Gaelscoileanna were significantly more likely to be in classes of more than 30 than their non-Gaelscoil counterparts, and far less likely to be in schools with less than 20 pupils. Class sizes are smaller in Gaeltacht schools, but that is in line with the fact that class sizes are smaller in rural schools generally.

I'm a speaker of Irish and an advocate for the language, but I wouldn't dream of using the term "native tongue" to describe Irish on this island. It simply isn't; it is the mother tongue of a depressingly small and decreasing number of people here, trying to hold some space for itself against the background of a profoundly hostile history while competing with a cultural juggernaut. Anyone who has a genuine interest in preserving Irish and trying to extend its reach needs to start from that position of awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,904 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Problem is you spend 12 plus years being taught it, between primary and secondary schools, you do your leaving cert and 99% of people will never require it or have a use for it again.. either in their home / personal life or work life... I know it’s a cultural thing, an identity thing but for the subject to be mandatory for 12/13 years of your education and afterwards the vast vast majority of people won’t utter a syllable of Irish let alone have any use for it in their daily life... says to me that the ‘mandatory’ teaching of Irish is as much a political concern / issue as an educational one...

i did my leaving over 20 years ago and like many people, the majority I’d say have never been required to speak Irish or listen to and understand Irish since... not once, that’s an awful lot of time learning, studying...something, a language that’s not going to be used by you, by the vast vast majority of us...for the most part...

why I believe that certainly for junior and leaving cert, it probably should not be mandatory.. students should have the ability to opt in or out...

You've never been required to do calculus or quadratic equations either, or read someone else's calculus or quadratic equations. I doubt you have ever been required to recite, read or analyse any of the poetry or prose you had to cover on the English curriculum, nor have you ever been required to read anyone else's English poetry and prose analysis. So what?

The trouble is that people who have a fear of Irish (and as I said I think this is more about fear than anger) come up with all these excuses for dissing the language, but you'd be a long time searching for someone starting a thread moaning about calculus, T.S. Eliot or Sylvia Plath. Perhaps they don't have enough lazy tropes to make it worth their while?

• Advertisement

Correct, but Mathematics is the promotion of mental reasoning through numbers...which is why you learn mathematics...lots of industries require mathematics all be it calculus or quadratic equations indeed are not of tangible use... you’ll need maths in lots of industries..aviation, pharmaceutical, building/construction...loads more..

English ? We are taught poetry etc as it culturally resonates, we read, we write, we debate, we evaluate, you and I are doing so now...

I’ve never been of a ‘need’ to use Irish since I left secondary school, not close... not say don’t teach it, I’m saying it probably is not a requirement that it’s mandatory.

french, German, Italian, Spanish, are choices, we pick one but none of these subjects we are told we MUST do... perhaps Irish could just become a chosen language.

You could say the same thing about a lot of subjects and even parts of subjects that you learn and are examined on in school and third level.

I haven't used any of the geography or physics that I took for my leaving cert since leaving school. In the various I.T. related positions that I have held and do at the moment, I have never had to use the majority of the various maths disciplines that were separate subjects in my computer science degree never mind forming part of the leaving cert maths exam. Others who I know do use them due to the types of systems that they write. Same as the fact that a number of my extended family use Irish in their personal and professional lives on a daily basis, but I don't.

There's always an excuse for doing down what you fear. Maths something something OK, English something something OK, Irish - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH **** RIGHT OFF!

I thought English poetry was great. I also thought Irish poetry was great. I still read poems from both my Irish and English Leaving Cert courses. I still do algebra, quadratic equations and stuff like that. I've read History way beyond the somewhat limited (and very white) stuff we did on the LC. I've an abiding interest in Geography, and that sparked an interest in environmental science and politics. I'm still fascinated by Physics, and I've read through an entertaining collection of books on quantum mechanics and gravitational physics. I've never developed my French, although I do still keep up a bit of an interest in it along with one or two other Latin languages.

I wasn't required to do any of that, but I was and am fascinated and curious, so that's why I did it. I also didn't like some stuff more and some stuff less because it was mandatory or because it wasn't, and frankly, neither do those who have such a fear of Irish.

I'm happy with Irish, Maths and English remaining mandatory subjects. Some people think the problem is that Irish is promoted too much by the State; I think it's promoted too little and our standards are too low. Moreover, I think the same about English and Maths. I don't expect or even ask anyone to agree with me, but then I don't really give a crap whether they do or don't.

Both geography and physics I’ve used the majority or my working life and a level of mathematics would be required too ( aviation) I’ve lived and worked in France so French which I studied helped... History gives us an understanding of our world, politics, conflict, cultures and life... so the majority of education had some usefulness.

Who fears Irish ? That’s a slightly absurd claim, whether it’s taught or otherwise mandatory or otherwise will have zero impact on my life, it’s a discussion.

I didn't say that I didn't still have an interest in some and parts of those subjects, I just don't use what was part of the majority of the honours geography leaving cert syllabus when I did my leaving cert as an example on a daily basis.

I get use out of some of the various maths disciplines in both work and in my woodworking related hobbies, and I enjoy architecture and history as well.

As you said the majority of education has it's usefulness, which would include Irish, especially for those who use it for work or pleasure as also going by your argument. If you don't use the various subjects or even parts of them when they are multi discipline subjects like maths, in either your work or for personal life, the opposite could be said that they are of no use, which is the case with Irish as a subject for some, as would algebra, or geography for others.

I'd say a lot of people do. The irrational need some people have to bang on about the Irish language is difficult to explain away as just a matter of anger. That level of hostility is something you'd tend to associate with an element of fear. Why that fear exists is another matter. I do wonder if a lot of people still buy into that message of hostility and fear passed down the generations since the 19th century? I'm not saying that is the reason, but it's a bit of a struggle to see what else it could be. Someone else on the thread referred to English monolingualism, and a tendency among English-only speakers to expect everyone else to speak English to suit them. That could be an answer, but again I wouldn't be definitive. There is also some evidence out there of people perceiving learning a second or subsequent language as a sign of "privilege" or "elitism" - and in fairness you can see that viewpoint in some of the uglier comments in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Irish should be a subject like French after year 3, you can choose it if you want. The problem I see is most people never speak it after leaving school, if you live in a city, large town everyone speaks English . If you want to get a degree subjects like French maths physics are import to get a course or to get a job in real life. So how many millions are spent teaching Irish at leaving cert level while we are short of nurses and doctors, hospital wards , eg the Irish budget is limited, we are in a housing crisis . I don't care if someone emails me in Irish as long as there's an English copy to read learning history or maths English etc is not useless even if you end up working on a building site I think we need a new subject call it life skills, eg it covers basic medical topics, stds, how to Get a loan, what is a mortgage, interest rates, the importance of voting, family planning, things every adult needs to know

My day to day experiences of the Irish language: a) When I ring up a govenment service and have to wait for the recorded message as Gaeilge to get finished so I can get on with my business. b) There's some cracking looking birds on TG4 c) Laughing at none of the ROI soccer team knowing the words to the national anthem. You'd think they'd get (bribe) just one of them to learn the words. My money is on Caoimhin Kelleher belting it out if/when he starts a senior game d) being bored silly by morons who start using their name in Irish and suddenly think they're Sean O Riordain reborn.

I went to a Gaelscoil and did Honours Irish for the LC. I have no love for the language at all. But keep forcing it down people's throats on medicine bottles, street signs and other **** because you know there's nothing essential about it that would make the masses want to know it.

I don’t think learning or knowing a second language can be considered elitism because simply every student for about 13 years of their life is taught Irish and subsequently in post primary are taught French/German/Spanish/Italian etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Only Irish is mandatory, everything else is optional, English and Maths are ubiquitous because they are the most useful for any job and required for almost every professional job, the rest of the subjects are on a sliding scale of usefulness, Irish would not be high on this barometer, it's taken because it's mandatory, drop the mandatory nature and let those who love Irish get that funding to promote it in useful ways rather than not educating children to use it, it should always be an option and there should always be a class available for those who want to learn it, but forcing it onto people kills any passion they have for it.

Nothing at all like that. I don’t speak the language, but am happy that it’s protected. That’s the majority view.

I still urge the people offended by signs in Irish to organise. Getting angry on the internet serves no purpose. The rise of Sinn Fein as a political party popular amongst the young doesn’t bode well for your chances, but there’s probably some room for a party hostile to the Irish language with other issues attached (be sure to be pro cheaper housing).

Getting enough votes to get one candidate elected might be challenging, getting enough votes to become the majority of the dail to vote for the referendum might be even more challenging. Then you need to get the vote out.

lots of work there. And good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭65535

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's not that I'd prefer not to hear it again Uly, it's far more that it has little resonance for me. I think it's in a much better position than it was a few decades ago and isn't going anywhere soon and as far as I'm concerned that's a good thing for the language and those who speak it. That would be about the extent of my attitude to the language these days.

Now thinking more on it and what my attitudes were to it in my youth learning it, or indeed not learning it at school, they would have been different. I suppose I would have been glad that it was still around, somewhere, just preferably not around me kinda thing. 🙂 As an urban Dubliner going back to the egg I had no connection to it. It was "foreign" to me, a language of somewhere else and a somewhere else I didn't particularly relish. For me at the time it was the language of the parochial, the rustic, the cloying cassock, cute hoors, DeValeras's damp fields, up for the match, the past. And in before the Union Jackeen stuff, no I don't follow English soccerball or rugby and I'd rather have a wide awake spleenectomy than suffer through a game of cricket and consider one of the best moments in Irish history is when we kicked London out of our affairs. It's a great pity they buggered the language and the country for so long. It would have been great if we'd ended up a fully bilingual culture, but it wasn't to be and it wasn't just the "Brits" fault either.

I strongly suspect my attitudes would be different if I'd been a kid in the 90's or 00's rather than the 70's and the 80's. For a start the urban/rural divide is significantly narrower than it was on all fronts, the church is gone, as is DeV's Ireland. All good things.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You seem to have me confused with those who are railing against street signs and the like. I'm not. I quite simply don't care as it doesn't affect me one way or the other. I'm happy enough to have it as cultural window dressing for the majority(and tourists) and of some office to those who actually speak the language. That's about it.

Nothing at all like that. I don’t speak the language, but am happy that it’s protected. That’s the majority view.

Indeed and that's the dissonance. The majority are happy it's protected, yet the majority don't speak it. For a language that's not a great optic. It's like some archaic stone relic in a field, protected and people are happy it is, but of little import to most who pass it by.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

Some people here may not know this but in the 50's, 60's and early 70's you could get 100% in your Leaving in all other subjects but fail Irish and you failed the exam - no cert to wave. Probably hard to believe now but that's the way it was.

On leaving school and looking for a job in the Civil Service or any State company not having Honours Irish barred you.

This injustice caused a lot of grief to thousands of school leavers over a great many years and was a major factor in the ongoing hatred of the Irish language. (apart from the way it was taught).

An organisation was formed (can't remember the name of it) to fight against the injustice and, eventually, the rule was changed. If memory serves me correctly the late Gay Byrne was involved in it.

As long as we don't go back to "that sort of thing" I'm not concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I don't understand the issue here honestly at all. It's not like the English isn't also being used so people can't understand what is being written or said. Why is anyone getting so het up over the Irish now being included too for people who might want to read it? I went to a Gaelscoil for second level and honestly, while I don't use Irish every day, I'm glad I still have it. Like anything, I'm not down with the extremism on either side or ramming it down anyone's throat but I don't believe providing signage, notifications, governmental information etc in duel language format is really affecting anyone on a day to day basis. And if it is, then maybe those individuals need to examine why they are getting so annoyed about something so small.

Actually a lot of the time the interview is more to understand if the parents will help the child at home in terms of the learning of the language. For those with non-Irish speaking parents (not just immigrant families but families where no one speaks Irish anymore), it's a chance for the school to give them some materials to help them help the child and suggest any basic Irish courses. I know a couple of families who've been through them and said it's more about ensuring that the child is getting a full 360 help and that the school are helping the family too. I've never heard of anyone being rejected to the school after these interviews.

That's a downright lie about additional needs. I have relatives in a second level Gaelscoil, friends who are teachers in both primary & second level ones and friends with children in a primary Gaelscoil. All have a mix of individuals. My nephew has an SNA in his school to help with his ASD. He is not the only one in his class with additional needs let alone his year or school.

As for a little to no foreign nationals - the Gaelscoil beside me has about a 60-40 mix between Irish and immigrant families. It completely can depend on the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

The vast majority of school population didn't do the Leaving cert until the introduction of Free secondary education in 1967. This is evident in the census data.

The majority of both boys (60.1%) and girls (54.2%) aged from 15-19 in 1966 had only completed primary school education. For secondary school education the figures were 14.2% (Boys) and 20.1% (Girls). It thus didn't affect most people working in semi-states at non-managerial levels (vast majority).

Needless to say the pass in Irish for leaving cert was abolished as a mandatory requirement in 1973 by Fine Gael goverenment, likewise it's requirement for civil service entry was abolished in 1974. Anyone who passed Civil service exam before 1974 is retired (or dead) now.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ireallydontknow

This is a bad-faith argument. Could you imagine if every complaint was met with the challenge to go start a political party?

Effectively, that remains partly the case. The NUI universities require a pass in Irish for entry, regardless of the course. It may be that you now don't fail the the LC outright, but the only reason to do the LC is for college entry. Of course, the fact that Trinity, UL, DCU and the ITs don't require it mean that there are now alternatives that once didn't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

The amount of resources wasted in printing all these signs in Irish in Dublin where literally no one will read them in a practical sense - some will say I understand it sure, but they will read the english part if they need to - let's be honest - anyone saying they read the Irish in a practical sense is lying.

How about finding out what EU language is the biggest spoken/understood after English (I'd say Polish or Spanish) and printing these notices in those languages - so you know it would actually have use...

Nothing worse than those little gael goer fascists trying to push this dead language on us...

Advertisement