Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

The creeping prominence of the Irish language

• 02-10-2021 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ ireallydontknow

My university now sends me emails that are bilingual - sometimes with the texts side by side, sometimes with the Irish text first - with Irish often appearing in the subject line. The signs for lecture theatres have just this year been replaced to include Irish. A new student space is called 'Zón Mac Leinn'.

The Dart now makes announcements in Irish first. Signage in Pearse Dart station has been replaced giving Irish more prominence.

All council signs, such as those relating to pandemic restrictions, are bilingual, with the Irish appearing to the left or above the English.

The Lighthouse cinema is running a festival called Samhain na mBan, which is celebrating woman in horror.

It seems to me that certain laws about the prominence of Irish that were enacted quietly are now being acted on by Irish language zealots in public bodies.

Comments

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011

Would have passed at the time, easily.

A retrospective one with all the costs involved might not have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭ Cyclingtourist

Train announcements etc. is a typical 'box ticking' exercise. Can everyone who supports this type of carry-on please state whether they can actually converse in Irish.

For the record I can't but then I don't support this pseudo-revivalism

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ Reati

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,652 ✭✭✭✭ listermint

Muckity mucks.

Nearly spat out my finely poured pint of Guinness. Top drawer commentary !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ Reati

Those are some examples of line items.

What are the costs of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭ KaneToad

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011

FOI them if you want to know.

They aren't free, which is my point. The ILA brought in costs that didn't exist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement