Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I think I may rewatch the TASM films to prepare for No Way Home. They are by no means perfect but God they got some things so right. I watched the ending there on YouTube from the graveyard onwards and it's still one of my favourite endings in the genre. From Garfield's performance to the music and tease of the fight with Rhino it's so good.

Looking forward to Garfield getting some justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I really like the Garfield Spidey movies.

I didn’t like that they were setting up that Oscorp created all the Sinister Six equipment though.

The Rami movies were far too much like the Reeves Superman movies but Alfred Molina was a great villain.

I know about some of the secrets of No Way Home thanks to a blabber mouth a few rows back at Shang-Chi.

It doesn’t make sense to me (yes I know they are fantasy movies) that Peter Parker and other characters can be different people (they did this in the Arrowverse too) but it should be fun.

I’m hoping No Way Home has Parker in the traditional costume and colours. I don’t mind costumes changes and updates for any superhero but I prefer it when Spider-Man or Superman have the traditional look and colours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Never bothered with Amazing Spider-Man 2; that first film couldn't escape the feeling of a legal necessity, one so that Sony could retain the rights to Spidey. I mentally checked out at the scene when Martin Sheen's Uncle Ben made that long-winded monologue, the one trying hard to avoid saying "with great power comes great responsibility" again.

Garfield was a good choice, but they shouldn't have made it high school again. He and Emma Stone were fooling nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I found Garfield's Spider-Man quite unlikeable, almost cocky and the whole thing about his parents being involved in some conspiracy that gave him spider DNA was ridiculous. Sony's desperation to set up their own cinematic universe meant that the movies actually being made suffered massively.

I think his overall portrayal was uneven but I contribute that mostly to the terrible plot choices as you point out. By the end of TASM2 you see the potential of his Spidey which I hope NWH will follow through on.

It's peak Sony and people think they're past that just because of an animated film and an assist from Feige. They're still utter hacks that can't be trusted and Venom makes that plain to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,914 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh are there first impressions out for Venom and Carnage?

Looks like CGI hooplah to me, and the worst kind of CGI hooplah: poorly lit. Like the battle of winterfell. so I'm not that interested. Though, that's not a criticism of Hardy or Harrelson, both are great, this just seems like B-level comic book movie tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh, I certainly don't think Sony are past their rough period; I know Morbius is still lingering around like a bad smell, the studio still desperate for their Spidey Universe Without Spidey. Actually, scratch the spidey part - sometimes their output smacks of searching around for a hit.

The leaks I read for Morbius don't read that badly, however it's the execution I'm concerned about. The trailer did nothing to alleviate that.

Primarily I'm not impressed with the special effects I've seen for Leto's vampiric form. Just looks like CGI bollox. Would love to see a concept that's make up driven, kind of like Van Helsing on Netflix. Sometimes the minimalist approach is what works best even if you have the budget to do something fancier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement

More legal wrangling for Marvel/Disney; the latest being a court case to gain full control / ownership of various MCU properties, denying the heirs of their original creators from a share of profits. Now, how one defines the "creator" of something so commercial as comic book characters is a debate unto itself (and there have been some cons such as the Bob Kane / Bill Finger case with Batman), the legal arguments more so.

Disney’s Marvel unit is suing to hold on to full control of Avengers characters including Iron Man, Spider-Man, Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Falcon, Thor and others.

The complaints, which The Hollywood Reporter has obtained, come against the heirs of some late comic book geniuses including Stan Lee, Steve Ditko and Gene Colan. The suits seek declaratory relief that these blockbuster characters are ineligible for copyright termination as works made for hire. If Marvel loses, Disney would have to share ownership of characters worth billions.

Straight out of Stan Lee's playbook

To play devil's advocate I saw something on Reddit calling Ditko's brother a scumbag. A similar story to the Stan Lee elder abuse case and now he's trying to cash in on a brother he treated like ****.

I'm really not a fan of descendants claiming rights for something that had nothing to do with them. An example outside of this case would be Dacre Stoker being able to call his work a "direct sequel/prequel" to a distant ancestor's work.

Disney's own fault considering how they've destroyed copyright law to hold ownership of the mouse.

A company which has built a fortune on trying to take ownership of several historical open rights characters

TBH my first instinct was to presume the estates and heirs were simply trying to shakedown Marvel for some cash on a fortune of now-valuable properties; but then as @[Deleted User] remarked Disney themselves have spent years stacking the law in their favour through constant tinkering of IP law; they're as far from saints as you can get.

This is a scenario where naked avarice is visible on both sides, with the debate simply being who's the least worst side of the coin. So I'm in no hurry to side with the monolithic corporation now owning a huge swathe of Hollywood; while leaning towards families of artists often dícked over by rights owners (though as you say, they may have had zero input, or been raging shíts themselves)

Scarlett and Disney have settled the Black Widow lawsuit. No details on the settlement though - THR.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,378 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Deadline saying it’s more than a $40m settlement.

She will also continue to work with Disney with the next project being The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror park ride being turned into a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd assume she was already contracted for that gig.

Question is will she get any fresh deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Misogyny? She went at the big bad Disney hard in public when there was already a arbitration process in her contract which would have probably gotten to the same result. I dont see how you can claim she was treated any different than a man would be

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I feel you're really overegging any sort of 'backfiring' here - I don't see anyone outside of a very small bubble really caring about this at all either way, definitely not into the general consumer market that would impact Disney in any way. Youtube shows have to talk about something and the vast majority of commentators and 'film junkies' who would comment on this already have a strong distain for Disney anyway - look at how the majority of regular posters talk about Disney in most threads even here.

Nothing you mention there really stands up to any scrutiny on claims of misogyny:

Firstly, you're not comparing like with like here. Johnson is a far, far bigger star than Scarlett and they likely have very different contracts - one with a legacy Marvel contract and the other with a new contract with a separate part of the business. I'd fully agree you'd have a case of misogyny if say a Hawkeye movie came out around the same time and Renner was on the same contract as Scarlett and Disney chose to negotiate with him. You can't compare apples to oranges and then make a giant leap that different treatment is based on some form of bias.

Secondly, has it been confirmed Blunt received no additional money with the move to Disney+? If this isn't confirmed then claims of misogyny do not hold up.

Thirdly and most importantly, Scarlett had an option in her contract to go to arbitration to do exactly what you are asking for and renegotiate the deal. Rather than doing that she chose to take a very legally questionable route and try to go around arbitration and take a swing at big bad Disney in public via a lawsuit - something no male star has done. Again, you can't say they took a harder swing back than they would with a male star when no comparative MCU male star has taken those actions before - especially in a situation where there was minimal need to play nice as their character was dead.

• Advertisement

Reports of Charlie Cox's Daredevil picking up again as Disney+ show returning with season 4 with all the cast returning involving the new Echo show spinning off from it.

The show has major flaws but it'd be a crying shame if Vincent D'Onofrios Fisk never got a chance to shake up the MCU. The franchise sorely lacks cross film antagonists.

My first thoughts as well. We need his Kingpin.

We also need him to live. Not that there have been many good antagonists in the MCU in the first place, but every time a killmonger dies, I roll my eyes.

Mind you, I'd be confident we won't see the MCU Kingpin slam a car door on someone's head til it becomes pulp.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,931 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rumours of a certain ground breaking event in the Venom Post credits. We have a new member of the MCU family

To add context to the above post it is about a rumour about the stinger at the end of the new Venom film.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Netflix got so much right in their casting it was really unbelievable, pity we won't get their versions, I'd be happy enough for Disney to completely rip it off. With rumours of frank castle coming back I'm hoping for the kingpin too. I might just go back and rewatch the Netflix series of it's still on it.

Advertisement