Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Marvel are unbelievably good at this. None of the Disney+ shows so far and most of the movies do not change things so much that they can't be explained in a few lines of dialogue.

Most of the time a viewer wouldn't get the same enjoyment but the next one is definitely watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,892 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah its clear the shows wont impact movies that much after all. They are essentially comic book one shot stories. Or like Agents of Shield was just with the MCU universe.

I wouldn't downplay the shows like that, I'd argue they'll impact the overall MCU narrative as much as the majority of the MCU movies. For most movies if you missed one things are explained as needed relatively quickly to get people up to speed - be it new characters, new technology, or new powers. They do it so subtlety most people don't even notice - usually through 'catching up' another character, for example they used Banner and Parker heavily in those roles at the start of Infinity War but it happens in basically every movie.

Agree that she'll be key, as will likely the impact of the finale of Loki, but as with the movies they've both been written so that a lot has happened behind the scenes to move along the character development however the overall MCU narrative hasn't shifted dramatically for those that missed it - Wanda has always been powerful so how she leveled up further isn't going to be hard to explain when she appears next

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wanda's status-quo would be fairly easy to establish in any movie script's first act; it could be written with the heroes unaware of Wanda's turn to "evil", the reveal during a review of some CCTV footage, or Wanda attacking (say) Ant-Man when he gets in the way of The McGuffin. Said turn we know was caused by her grief, itself caused within the MCU so can't imagine it'd need much work to get audiences up to speed there.

Loki would be even easier given Sylvie is explained with two words of dialogue - alternate universe - something I reckon even a casual film watcher would understand as a concept these days.

On the Loki impact, we've had time travel and variants in Endgame already so it is completely natural. It was really Loki that set up their own strawman that there couldn't be other timelines. Add to alternative universe term the at this stage well known concept of multi-verse and it is easy. Presuming the go the Kang route as the big bad, they won't need the Loki backstory as to why it hasn't been an issue until now.

I don't think Wanda has turned to 'evil' yet but agree on the ease to explain her powers - CCTV footage or simple discussion about what she did to the town. Darkhold can be explained by some asking what the book is and Dr Strange explaining. The kids and White Vision are a bit trickier but a few questions will give enough background for the story to keep moving

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

God I forget of course this is still "technically" a Sony feature, lol. Wonder do their executives get told to sit at the back and be quiet during meetings 😁

Guess this is going to be the entry point for the MCU viewers who haven't watched Loki. Knew the big cameo was going to happen after the actor blabbed, but the sight of

The goblin grenade

Was a nice surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Fecking class! I saw rumours last night of..

Toby and Andrew screenshots going around so I'm guessing the 3 Spidey's will take on the Sinister Six and I'm all for it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,230 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't know if I'll ever understand why on Sony trailers, they show a few brief clips of the trailer at the start of the trailer, then a screen saying it's the trailer, and then the trailer.

Regardless, the trailer is awesome. Goblin bomb, also a shot of electricity and maybe a bunch of sand (I know Jamie Fox was announced for the cast, but was Thomas Haden Church?)

Benedi...etc looked like he was having fun in the role too, which isn't a bad direction to take Dr.Strange considering it seems like he's kinda the linchpin for so much of Phase 4 with the Multiverse stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,012 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

YouTube. the initial part becomes the autoplay part on YouTube so acts as an ad for the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,012 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I reckon Doc Oc is saying hello to Toby Maguire Peter Parker, and he is just FX'd out of the shot (or they are using a different shot)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,230 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ahhhh.... That makes sense. Still annoying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

There are a few rumours doing the rounds of a Werewolf By Night adaptation being in the works, with some claiming it will be a Halloween special for Disney+. Could well be a Moon Knight tie in too.

One of these days I'll read an announcement about the X-Men or Fantastic Four and I'll be like "finally". I'd love to know what Feige's thinking is holding the big guns back. Bedding down the multiverse maybe, so they can naturally bring in "mutants"?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭bdmc16

Is it feasible they will resurrect black window now that Loki Tv series have given free reign to alternative timelines and universe?

Sure they can resurrect anyone but I hope they do it sparingly, if at all. They already have a multiverse Gamora brought back into it, doing (m)any more will just nullify the meaning of future deaths.

He is just playing the same long game that has been so successful thus far for the MCU. How you avoid burnout for as long as possible is not to hit the public with 'big gun' after 'big gun'. They don't need to go for a home run on every movie.

I'm sure, but even the X-Men stable itself is so large you could have that approach and not prematurely burn audiences out. Start with some B tier mutants making sense or the world, the X-Men themselves not appearing for awhile. Anyway, I'm sure Feige has a plan, just a little surprised. Wonder is there a manilla folder somewhere of shortlists for the big X-Men parts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If they were to use any director to bring FF & X-Men into the MCU it would Sam Raimi for me and have him do it in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This phase has 2 team movies in Eternals and GotG3 so probably don't want to add 1 or 2 more teams to that for now. Also for a team based movie, that's a lot of main actors to be signed to multi movie deals if they decide to do that. So having to decide on the mutants to use then finding the right fit would take time.

How would you do them? Another origin movie for F4? Would've been handy if we had an announced movie with a mutant lead that could then be invited by Xavier at the end to come to the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Bully maguire is set to take over the MCU....

Gonna put some dirt in your eye...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

I have to say this next phase bar the new spiderman film does not interest me at all.

Some of the minor comic characters coming into the fold just aren't that interesting.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Not interested in the next Doctor strange movie or Thor movie no?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Not too mad on Dr Strange really as a main character but totally forgot about the new Thor. That should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,892 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Hulu's MODOK was good fun, so I'll give this a watch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

This is in fact exactly what they are doing. The rumor mill (and one I actually trust that may have the inside scoop) suggests that there will be a couple of X-Men cameos in Strange 2 and the multiverse will be used to introduce the Fantastic 4.

• Advertisement
Advertisement