Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Which is all you can do. Those class Whatsapp groups will come in handy now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The contact tracing will continue in the sports and other activities outside schools, so the changes are if a kid is positive in school it be caught at one of the sports and everyone will hear about it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Do you mind me asking if you're sure about that?We have been told at GAA and swimming there is now no requirement to fill out the usual Covid forms we were doing all along weekly - is it just an assumption that the HSE will contact trace for activities?I assume they mightn't for outdoor ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,149 ✭✭✭✭josip

Same here, not being keeping lists for outdoor soccer for 3 weeks now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yea hopefully won't come back positive but I just think it's so irresponsible to get rid of contract tracing.

One of kids in pod had a new baby sibling over the weekend. In my mind I'd be a highly irresponsible parent if my child did test positive + I didn't inform them. At least they could then keep an extra eye on their child for symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I agree . I think people are entitled to know if they are a close contact . Every family is different and some have vulnerable siblings or grandparents etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's the excessive caution that is still keeping large numbers somewhat needlessly out for school for something likely to be very, very mild. Bear in mind that vaccinated adults do not have to isolate as close contacts and with nearly 91% fully vaccinated it has become a lot harder to encounter the unvaccinated and at risk.

Yep, it's one thing to say close contacts in schools no longer have to stay at home if no symptoms but to actually not bother to follow up with contract tracing is disgraceful. Fair enough people can decide themselves on risk if adults all vaccinated + no High risk but none of us know a family's circumstances.

I mean schools + HSE send home letters informing parents of cases of head lice or mealses or mumps outbreak etc but all of a sudden Covid doesn't matter as a public health risk anymore.

My heart goes out to any parent with a vulnerable child in school with Cystic Fibrosis, recovering from cancer etc, they must be at their wits end.

People should be entitled to make up their own mind for the safety of their family and circumstances taken into consideration .

For example if a parent was not informed that their child was a close contact and took that child to visit a vulnerable grand parent ?

Some parents will choose to send the child to school some will not due to their own circumstances . Surely that is up to a parent ?

Parents are informed if another child has head lice , surely they should be informed if another child has Covid

Iamwhoiam, 100% agree, inform parents with the facts + then they can make best choice for their family.

This decision was not made though based on evidence of what was actually in the best interest in terms of public health, they were basicially just overwhelmed with all cases in schools and system fell apart.

A shambles.

• Advertisement

I think we have come to the end of that narrative really. We can see it too in the signals from health bodies on how they are now looking at COVID. The whole contract tracing was very precautionary but NPHET and the HSE point out the low risk to the very young, hence the change. I also think we need to get past the vulnerable older person as they will shortly be getting another shot. If they are at risk from this they are at risk from other things and permanently hiding away from it into perpetuity is not living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

While I understand why they are doing this I have to agree with iamwhoiam and appledrop .

People should be kept informed so they can evaluate their own particular risks in each family .

I have friends and family who regularly visit with their school age children . I also have very immunocompromised son who will not be getting an extra vaccine shot for another month at least.

I gave advised him that he is going to have to cocoon until he gets this extra dose and Iwill be asking people to stay away with their children until that is done .

There are grandparents who mind their grandchildren or others who don't have that choice .

Sure, but the question of when we stop viewing COVID as we have is now a key one.

Fair enough , we are on the way out of this , but I can't understand why they are throwing caution to the wind so abruptly like this .

Do you not agree that it is strange that parents are not only being told that there is no need to know if their children have been in contact with a positive case ,which will from now always be a symptomatic case ?

I think if your child has no symptoms , then away to school as advised, but at least with the knowledge should you need to protect someone as I have described in my above post .

Cases in children 5 to12 years have been rising in the weeks since return to school from higher base and in higher numbers than previously, yet the narrative from NPHET and the HSE has been that they are reducing !

That is talking about and including the 12 to18 year olds where cases have been slowing since they are vaccinated .

But not in the primary schoolchildren .

I think it is mad stuff tbh , after the caution all along .

I think what they're doing is comparing the tradeoff between the amount of downtime for kids with the need for them to be out of school. On balance they've concluded that it's better for kids to be in school and that this close contact approach that they've been using since the schools opened in September is probably done.

The number of cases in kids is interesting. Paul Reid himself, a few weeks back, pointed out that 40% of positive cases were kids and that 45% of all testing involved kids. When you compare cases to the numbers in hospital you can see the cases are not translating into something more serious. I suspect that was also part of their reflections on this whole thing. . Even in hospital it's the unvaccinated who seem to be experiencing the most problems with COVID.

Oh yes the infections are not serious I agree .

Still infections though and the possibility of transmission to vulnerable who have yet to have a booster or extra shot is there . Not to mention I disagree that we should be saying" sure infections in children are mild "because it is an unknown what high infection rates in children will lead to .

I find it a bit obnoxious of those in our Public Health to be insinuating , without saying directly of course, that we can let it rip in children.

Because that is what they are doing .

Colm Henry quite specifically mentioned" 0 to 18 year olds " in that statement the other day ,instead of 5 to 12 year olds .

That was deliberate , and I am disappointed in their manipulation of the numbers to achieve an end ,that parents stop worrying about their children catching it and that children are back in school,and all is well with the world. Because they have decided to pull the plug?

It's very sneaky .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

The whole thing is a mess… dunno what to make of it. Of course we should know if kids are close contacts from school. As I’d expect to know if a work colleague had it too… people think that national schools are a free for all now and that people can attend with ‘normal cold’ symptoms. People are mixing up ‘asymptomatic close contacts’ with slight symptoms as my kid can’t have Covid..

I’m in the dog house at home now. I’d a Covid test today. As I’ve a slightly sore throat. Hoping to get negative results so I can go to work Wednesday. But as my daughter isn’t vaccinated I won’t send her to school tomorrow. She’s devastated as she missed a few days last week as she had a heavy headcold (was tested and negative). Now she’s loads of work to catch up on and hates being out for another covid reason. Loads of kids in her class are going to school with colds… she’s told me I’m a nerd for sticking to rules :(

Lisha, fair play to you for being safe but unless you actually test positive my understanding is she is safe to go to school?

Now I could be wrong, sure the whole thing is a mess we can't make head nor tail of it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

People saying they are getting notified from schools today of close contacts of positive cases

It’s a bit of a grey Area from what I can read. But The school have put it in writing that a child isn’t to attend school if someone at home is waiting on a test result. In the past when one of us was waiting on a result gp said both stay off school. So that what I’m going by.. school are not great to deal with in general so I’m taking the safest option. Anyway I’d have to drive her to school which people could say is wrong until I’ve a result back.

thanks for your replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

How did the Vulnerable grandparents and children and family members protect themselves from illness before covid? My eldest is what i call a carrier, he never ever gets sick, hed have a few sneezes one day but the whole rest of the house goes down with a cross on the door. Im sure theres many children and adults like him. Ive never kept him away from his great gandmother but he 'could have killed her' all them times. Same as now. People need to accept its just another viral infection. Theres a bad dose going round now and negative PCRs. Do we quarantine the people with that viral infection and ring all their close contacts and quarantine them too. Where does it stop?

No one is forcing or asking anyone else to isolate or stay off school . The issue is that parents should at very least be informed so they can make choices to suit their circumstances .

There are families out there who have children on chemo or children post a transplant . They need to know if a sibling is a close contact of a positive case of Covid 19

One of my children has a class mate who has Leukemia and is going through chemo the last 4 years. Hes in school most days unless hes unwell/tires . As he was before covid. Nobody ever notified his mother when there was a flu/viral infection/ tummy bug before covid. My point is, vulnerable people got along fine not knowing everyones medical status before covid. They benefitted from herd immunity and took vaccines if they could. Thats where we are now with covid.

Perhaps they should have informed his mother if there was a flu going around

It would then be her choice how to proceed . Its common decency in my opinion to protect a vulnerable child in a classroom

But they didnt.

I was never informed of any such illness, nor was anyone but we all have individual circumstances that could put people at risk.

How odd . Any vulnerable child on chemotherapy should be protected by those around him . You would think people didnt need to be told that .

Most classes have a parents whatapp group for such circumstances .

Yes. Just like if someone has a severe allergy like to peanuts , everybody gets a letter about snacks etc .

Big difference someone just getting a mild illness and possibility of infection to other more vulnerable kids .

The immunocompromised would be getting vaccines for flu and other illnesses like pneumonia if possible before the season so would be protected from some of the main infections .

Not rsv though , or norovirus .

But most schools would have an alert system for classes of children with severe allergy or immunocompromise.

Absolutely . Without going in to details I know for a fact that our local primary school has such an alert system in place

But I am confident that despite the HSE throwing these kids to the wolves that the school will continue to protect them in their own way .

Are you absolutely sure that the child on chemotherapy was not informed by the school ? I would be very surprised if the parents were not fully informed of anything that would compromise that childs health . Obviously they are not going to tell you who they are informing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭fits

Our school are still going to inform if there is a case in the class and then people can make their own decisions. Happy enough with that tbh.

Sent one to school today while other was awaiting test results. Boy in school was well with no symptoms so we just have to crack on with things now. Test came back not detected anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭OrlaFS2017

any unvaccinated person needs to restrict movements if someone in the house is being tested until the negative result comes through.

my daughter had to miss a day last week waiting on her brothers result. After missing 10 days being a close contact just before that

Yeah, that’s what I felt was the right thing. It’s hard though. Like ye we are after a run if it. People definitely feel that it’s all gone away. It bloody well hasn’t.

Actually I just looked it up and we should have kept both home. My bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭the corpo

Just found out our school is abandoning pods as a result of no more contact tracing. I don't think the Dept mandated any change to pod system did it?

• Advertisement

If you are not contact tracing why would you have pods?

To try and limit spread. Found the dept advice, pods are still required where possible.

Q. Do ‘pods’ still need to be organised and implemented?

A. Yes. We have asked children to be in pods as per last year and that indoors these pods are kept in place as much as possible. This is to ensure that the number of people (adults and children) who are in close contact with a case of Covid-19 is as limited as possible, and therefore the risks to others (albeit that the risks are low within a class setting) are kept to the lowest number. This year we have asked that close friends might sit together to reflect national guidance that people are not as restricted in activities and play dates out of school and therefore it is important this occurs to further enable the number of close contacts and those at onward risk are kept as low as possible within the community.

The risk of infection may be reduced by structuring pupils and their teachers into Class Bubbles (i.e. a class grouping which stays apart from other classes as much as possible) and discrete groups or “Pods” within those class bubbles, to the extent that this is practical. If the class is divided into Pods, there should be at least (1m distance) between individual Pods within the Class Bubble and between individuals in the pod, whenever possible. Generally speaking the objective is to limit contact and sharing of common facilities between people in different Class Bubbles (and Pods within those Class Bubbles) as much as possible, rather than to avoid all contact between Pods, as the latter will not always be possible. The aim of the system within the school is that class grouping mix only with their own class from arrival at school in the morning until departure at the end of the school day. The Pods within those Class Bubbles is an additional measures, to limit the extent of close contact within the Class Bubble. Pod sizes should be kept as small as is likely to be reasonably practical in the specific classroom context. To the greatest extent possible, pupils and teaching staff should consistently be in the same Class Bubbles although this will not be possible at all times. Different Class Bubbles should where possible have separate breaks and meal times or separate areas at break or meal times (or this could be different class years i.e. 2nd class, 3rd class etc.) Sharing educational material between Pods should be avoided/minimised where possible.

DOH guidance.

All of which serves no practical value where contract tracing is not in place

There were 49 new outbreaks reported in schools in the week to last Saturday, 25 September, compared with 90 outbreaks the previous week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

• Advertisement

Was that before or after the changes re close contacts came in to play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Now if we could just end the mask requirement in secondary schools, education would be largely back to normal.

I'd imagine the decrease was largely thanks to isolating and testing asymptomatic kids. Having 10,000+ pupils out wasn't necessarily the right approach, but I'd argue did curtail outbreaks. Again, I imagine outbreaks will bounce right back up now, but now we won't know as we're not looking anymore.

I just don't understand why there wasn't a middle ground, if you're going to scale back on the testing, invest in the HEPA filters, it's a fraction of the cost that has been spent on testing since schools returned, and would have given anxious parents like me a huge sense of relief. They're just better for kids health and concentration anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

They are scaling back as we are starting to hit a financial crisis again. The Covid cost was massive and some may say a bit OTT.

Covid is now not as serious as it was before, hence the reopening program is always fully there.

Nah, it won't be as costly as you imagine. There's all that PUP and other payments to claw tax in from plus the non-PUP rate is at about 6.5%.

More than masks would need to go. Sanatising desks after every class/ staggered breaks/ base classrooms/ return of lockers/ windows open all day/ classroom doors open/ full capacity classes/ removal of social distancing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Most of these things don't exist in primary school. Masks and open windows is about the extent of it. Desks are washed and cleaned at the end of the day. But during the day things continue as they always have. I'd love mask wearing to be optional at this point.

Oh ya I'm aware of that, I was just referring to secondary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement