Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Run run run run run run run....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Unknownability

So sorry to read this, hopefully your feet heal and you can put all that training to good use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Better days are coming... Dermot Kennedy song I listen to a lot at the moment!

I'm gutted for you but as you said yourself, this running lark brings good days & bad days. The race report was just as good as I expected but for different reasons. You did yourself proud by not just heading off & sulking (which I may have been guilty of in my earlier days of running 🙈). I have really enjoyed reading about your journey to get to Berlin & you came across as someone enjoying their training & yes there were some days you didn't want to get out of bed but you did!

Sorry for waffling, I hope the feet heal quickly & you're back on the road to your next marathon 😊

Can I ask, how many Marathons have you done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Thanks for the kind words Lainey, better days are certainly coming! I think that was to be my 8th marathon.

I hope you’re all set and you get the result you deserve in Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭healy1835

Was really sorry to read that report. It's clear from your log that you're as pragmatic about these sort of things as you are invested in your running.

I'm sure you've been told all the usual tenets about what can happen on raceday so I'll spare you my two cents here 🙂 But I can only imagine how things are intensified in the rarified air that you operate in. Still though...blisters 😕 tough enough one to take.

Without playing Devil's Advocate, which is exactly what I'm doing I suppose, but if the blisters aren't too bad would Manchester be the worst option? You only got 10k in, you've a few days to clear the head, it could be a decent option. Have you talked to your coach about what's next?

FWIW, on my first attempt to crack 3 hrs, I blew up in Rotterdam on a hot day and shuffled home to finish. Months of preparation down the drain. Took a chance and ran Limerick 4 weeks later, without having even looked at the route, and broke 3 hrs.

Anyway, hope the blisters clear up quickly and the head follows suit 👍

Thanks a mill C, here's hoping I do myself & my da proud 🤗

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Sorry to hear about the blisters. That's very bad luck but I'm sure this training block will be the foundation to something impressive in the not too distant future.

Do you mind me asking about your shoes and the blisters? Had you ran many training/racing miles in them in advance? I'm very curious as I have vaporflys that I have ran sessions in and have never had any issues. Have a new pair that I am hoping to race a marathon in and while I've ran a couple of short sessions in them with no issues I'm now a bit paranoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Wow, sorry for this bad luck. I'd seen from the tracker that you'd dropped out and thought it must have been the chest injury you'd written about in your previous post. I suppose blisters are a less serious ailment so that's something! 10k seems very soon for them to come on though, so definitely something up - please share the learnings when you figure out how it happened. For now, Compeed is your friend. And good luck in Manchester if you do it (I would).

Sorry for the slowness, I switched off for a week in Cyprus where I didn't run a step, lay on the beach loads and ate and drank what I liked. It was good for the soul but maybe not for the belly. I would have liked to run a bit but my chest injury deteriorated to the point where I found it difficult to swim or even do basic things like close the boot of a car. Two embarrassing injuries in the space of a few months, I think I need minding. I gave it a full week of rest after Berlin and tried a run in the Phoenix Park today when I got back but it's still not right and I'm going to go get it checked out tomorrow. It's a shame because I'm probably still race fit and feel like I could really tackle a few shorter races and give the XC a good rattle. I'm hoping again it's just a matter of time to let it heal and then I'll need to practice a little patience coming back.

@healy1835 thanks for the kind words and appreciate your thoughts. I won't lie, about 15 minutes after pulling out I was already thinking of Manchester when I was taking the subway to the 32k mark. When something unfortunate like that puts a spanner in the works, your immediate motivation is to get out there and make it right. Things just haven't worked out like that in this case. I'd have seriously considered Manchester this weekend and backed myself for a good run but unfortunately I didn't run a mile in Cyprus and the chest injury is still there. Who knows what would have happened but I think best thing to do for now is pick out another marathon in a few months time, Seville is on my radar. Hope you're looking forward to smashing it!

@Murph_D thanks Murph, if I was a betting man I'd have put a few bob on the chest injury also. Two blisters? Not a hope I'd have said. As you say, they're a less serious ailment, it's the confidence and the fitness that needs rebuilding more than anything now. Plenty of opportunities will come my way, you take the bad and the mediocre days because those precious good days make it all worthwhile.

@TRR_the_turd Good to see the old guard still hanging around these parts! Got to take the positives from the block, it was one of the best yet so nothing lost there. I wore the AlphaFly shoes for the race and 1000 mile socks. I'd worn them both in training BUT not together. For what it's worth, I've never had blisters in the Next% and I've done a good few half distances in them and one 20 miler. I really can't pinpoint what happened but I do recall getting blisters in those areas a few weeks back, that was wearing the Nike Tempo shoes. Perhaps they didn't heal properly and pulling my socks up around my arse on race morning probably wasn't the smartest move. I wouldn't worry about it once you're practicing in training, I think I was a special case. What marathon are you planning?

Streets of Galway 8k Race Report

It was 4 weeks since 'blistergate' in Berlin and it was time to get back on a horse, any horse will do. Right after the Berlin 1/4 marathon, I retreated to the hedonistic sanctuary of Cyprus with the other half Elena who coincidentally is from Cyprus. Walking on the blisters was real struggle for the first few days but was cushioned by the 31 degree heat and cocktails. Once that affliction subsided, the upper chest pain became the new big issue. The wallop I had taken in the toll booth on the way to the airport was now taking its own toll. It was basically a repeat of the rib incident and I was utterly useless for the week. Getting up, opening a door, tying my shoelaces and all of the basic movements we take for granted were extremely painful. In the end it was really no harm being in Cyprus where lying vertical in the sun was just about all I could accomplish. Running was out of the question so I simply submitted to it all, I ate and I drank and I worshipped the sun and I had my fun.

I landed back in Dublin on a Monday morning and reality started to hit home. It's cold. I should probably go for run. I didn't want to put all of that good marathon training to waste and figured I'd be still able to put together a good cross country season and some shorter road races. My first order of business was to stop off in the Phoenix park and to just go for a run, any distance will do, just run. So I laced up, with some difficulty, and then I trotted down the North Road toward Chesterfield avenue. Within minutes I had encountered internal resistance. No, said my chest, we're not doing this today. The pain was bad, every step felt like it was doing some sort of damage. My chest just felt like one giant bruise. I was hoping it was purely muscular but I couldn't be sure, the chest is such a sensitive area and I just didn't want to risk it. I had taken the bang almost 2 weeks previously so it was starting to get a little worrying. I cut it short after a mile and meekly retreated to the car for the long drive back to Cork, but it wasn't all bad. I enjoyed a nice bag of Keogh's crisps and after being abroad for so long, they really hit the spot. The next day I went to the doctor in work, who at this stage must be thinking 'what is up with this fella'. A few weeks ago you bruised your ribs on a table while turning on a lamp and now you've managed to injure your upper chest leaning out of a car window at a toll booth. I'm putting you on my disaster list. The diagnosis was thankfully the same as the ribs, nothing dangerous in there and just pure muscular damage. He offered me some delicious pain relieving drugs but I declined. The pain is there for a reason so I'll let it tell me when it's properly healed. In the meantime he said that light running would be ok, despite the pain so that was a little bit of music to my ears.

I promise I'll get to Galway. The day after the doctor, I was a little more confident running through the pain but I went for a couch-2-5k sort of approach, a run-walk effort alternating every 5 minutes or so. It was quite nice actually though it was possibly my slowest 5 miles ever in 55 minutes. I was back on the horse for the rest of the week and managed to get through a grass session at the Farm that Saturday. On the Sunday I got 15 miles in, still in discomfort but managing. The next week was a good 70 mile week with a tempo/hills session, another grass session at the Farm and a solid 2 hour run on Sunday at 6:37 mile pace. I wasn't feeling fit like I had before the marathon but clearly I hadn't gotten very unfit either. It had been 2 months since I last raced at the Mooreabbey 10 mile in August. I decided I needed to race so I entered the Streets of Galway 8k which was on the following week. As a club, we were all targeting the Munster senior cross country team title the week after Galway so this was a good opportunity for me to enter the cauldron of pain again and get a little hardened before that. Cross country was undoubtedly going to be harder than a road race in Galway. The Streets of Galway is a race I was well aware of, it has a great history, always draws a strong field and I wasn't really up to much that weekend so I booked a little hotel in Oranmore and I was set. On the week of the race I did a decent session on the Tuesday, 5 x 1km in 3:05-08 followed by a strong tempo at around 5:15 pace. This was decent and gave me good confidence for Sunday.

Race day arrived and it had been an abysmal weekend of weather. The wipers were on overdrive on the journey up on Saturday. I stopped off in Limerick for some lunch and I've never experienced Limerick so depressing and it's not fair on Limerick, it was gushing rain and the wind was noticeably sideways. Not pleasant. I did have the nicest pizza in Ireland though on Saturday night, in Dough Bros. in Galway city. Unreal. All I knew about Sunday morning is that the wind was still going to be sticking around, and it did. It was extra windy. Despite that, the sky was blue and the sun was out and that was a pretty pleasant surprise after a pretty disgusting night. I parked about 2 miles away from the start line and that was no coincidence. There was no way I was driving the car into the city centre on race morning so I parked it exactly one warmup away. This worked out very well. I got there nice and early and there was a lovely buzz around the place. Just under 1000 people showed up for this which was certainly the biggest race I've attended post Covid, if you can consider Covid something of the past, which I don't think you can. You know what I mean. There was a lot of people. There were also a lot of what look like very good runners around, based on their strides and swagger. I knew one of the guys, Niall Shanahan of Limerick, who is on my list of people to catch but other than that I didn't recognise anyone. Clubmate Lizzie Lee was hovering around the start line also and I already knew she had the win in the bag, lucky Lizzie.

This was an 8k, which is an odd distance but not really that odd, it's quite even. It's odd in the sense that there are very few of them and most people don't talk about an 8k PB, rather a 5 mile PB. 8k is 4.97 miles but who really cares. I suppose it's a consequence of caring about PBs and times, an affliction of epidemic proportions for the current running generation obsessed with metrics. And I'm not innocent either. It's not that times weren't important in the past, they were, but they were lower in the priority queue. Racing and beating people was the priority and good times just happened. I should really remind myself of that more often. Anyway, despite all the talk of not worrying about times, my 5 mile PB was 24:37 so in my wisdom I figured I'd be able to get pretty close to that.

Mile 1 - 5:04

My plan was to run around 5 minute mile pace early on and see what happens. I kind of know what 5 minute effort feels like by now so I didn't need need to be watch watching. I didn't need to, that doesn't mean I didn't. The optimistic side of me was talking about picking it up then for the last few miles. The course looked reasonable and I knew with the wind direction that we'd be facing into it for the first few miles and once we hit Salthill, it would be pushing us home, aggressively. Once the gun went, a group of 5 boyos quickly developed a close friendship and bolted as a unit, a fast unit. I honestly just didn't have the drive or motivation to go with them, I was already feeling effort with the pace I was running and this was only minutes into the race. I was a rusty krusty. I just sat a few meters behind, pretty much solo already and feeling that this was going to be a pure slog of a day. By the time I hit the first mile, one of the 5 had come right back to me and the other 4 were looking strong yet a gap was growing.

Mile 2 - 5:01

It was quite windy at the start and not just weather windy but street windy, as in wine-dy. There were quite a few sharp turns through the city centre but eventually in the 2nd mile it started to straighten out. This straightening out did little to help my race, I was still working way harder than I thought I should be but I was after moving into 5th and I was just watching the fantastic four stretch away into the distance. I kind of knew then that I wouldn't be seeing them again. By the end of the mile I was now running head first into the wind, my entire mouth ballooned with the west coast gusts but that's possibly an exaggeration. Effort was rising and ambitions lowering. 5th is ok isn't it?

Mile 3 - 5:14

The wind deviously combined with a sneaky drag to make my life that little bit more miserable. That's silly really, I wasn't that miserable. In hindsight it's a privilege to be out there and coming 5th on a middling day. I should be thankful for the misery. Given the long straight in front of me, I was able to observe a lone soldier after getting detached from the fantastic four which now became the terrible three as they geared up to battle it out for the podium spots. I wanted to be with the terrible three, one of which was Niall, but I wasn't. Not today. I felt maxed out and stuck in one gear, possibly even going down gears. Detached 4th guy was maybe 30 seconds ahead of me and no doubt coming back but then again I was also going back. Still, I had reasonable aspirations of reeling him in over the last 2 miles.

Mile 4 - 5:11

I took a sharp turn and was now heading on a slight downhill towards the Salthill promenade, the promised land of tailwind where thing would get better, wouldn't they? I was after hitting 5k in about 15:55 but I was also now dealing with a fairly annoying side stitch and my injured chest was causing me additional pain. It was all just about tolerable but not very pretty. Pain was quite popular with all of my body parts in this stretch but I feel it was a necessary pain to get used to racing and hurting again. The stitch didn't last for too long but even when I hit the promenade at 3.5 mile and had an aggressive yet beneficial wind on my back, I just couldn't kick on. All of the higher gears were broken. The gap from myself to 4th was just the same and almost resigned myself that I wasn't catching him at this stage. All I was fighting for was preserving 5th and getting home without throwing in any towels.

(almost) Mile 5 - 4:55

I did get going a little bit in this mile in that it was quicker than my previous two miles but this was probably down to the tailwind. It looks good on Strava though. I reckon effort was quite uniformly distributed over the whole race. One big long exhausting unspectacular effort. I really don't have much to say about this mile, I was completely isolated and just going through the motions. It was getting warm too as the midday sun beamed down on us meaning my brow was very sweaty. There was some warm support out on the final stretch and I even got a "Go on Liffey Valley" shout from a middle aged man which was appreciated if a little inaccurate. I even managed to hear his wife tell him "It said Leevale" and then I still had time to hear him say "Oh sorry, go on Leevale". How I managed to hear that whole conversation is beyond me. The finish line, that delicious finish line was visible for a lot of this mile, mocking me from afar. Eventually I had the last laugh, I think, when I crossed it in 25:27. When I crossed, the clock read 24:27 and I was half thinking had I really underestimated my run but unfortunately not, the clock was lying by exactly one minute. I was pleased enough with the run. Not shambolic, not terrific, just grand. I was just very happy to be done.

All in all, an enjoyable trip up to Galway. I'm at the point where I've realised that the majority of races I do are just ok. That's maybe down to high expectations but more than likely, it's just life. You win some and you lose most. The good days, the wins and the PB's are the 1 in 10 races and I'm fine with that. You just need to keep showing up, striving for consistency and simplicity and trusting in the process. This was just another step in a long journey and when I look at it like that, it was completely worth it. Once again the journey back to Cork was comforted with a salty bag of Keogh's crisps and a bottle of banana Yazoo, firmly establishing themselves as a staples in my diet. You see not only do you get a race reports here but the nutrition advice is indisputable.

Summary5th in 25:27

Full results

Post edited by jebuz on

'...I'm at the point where I've realised that the majority of races I do are just ok. That's maybe down to high expectations but more than likely, it's just life. You win some and you lose most. The good days, the wins and the PB's are the 1 in 10 races and I'm fine with that. You just need to keep showing up, striving for consistency and simplicity and trusting in the process. This was just another step in a long journey and when I look at it like that, it was completely worth it.'

This really resonated with me. I don't race nearly enough and it took a disastrous day on the big day out for me to really realise this. Great report and nutrition advice too 👍️

• Advertisement

If the result is unexpected, It’s also worth looking at the process though, surely, rather than just trusting it? Not that this is the case here, with all the chest stuff going on. Time to sort that out and refocus, maybe (I only say that because it seems this was a disappointing result for you. Or was it?)

Post edited by Murph_D on

@healy1835 Glad to hear you got something out of my ramblings and also some good reflections on your own log about Manchester. There's a lot more coming from you and I'd really urge you to focus on the short distances for a while, it'll repay itself come the next marathon and it's just good for the mind to switch it up for a while, lower the miles and focus on pure quality. I've certainly enjoyed the last few weeks of it anyway. You just can't beat the benefits of a race no matter what shape you're in.

@Murph_D Some good feedback there Murph, thanks. It may have come across as disappointing but in hindsight, it was more of an acceptance of a run that wasn't particularly good or bad. The whole purpose was just to race and spend some time outside that comfort zone again. I had tapered for a marathon that never happened, took a whole week off and had two weeks of running behind me. In that sense, the run was about right and my expectations were probably a bit off. I still fully trust in the process as I felt I really came on this year and I just know what to do at this stage to get race fit again. That's what I mean by just keep showing up, regardless of your race fitness. I'm really glad I did it in a sense because it got a bit of a fire burning again and I raced better the following week in the Munster XC. Damn it, now you've reminded me that I probably should do that race report, thanks Murph!!

Alright, new year, same me, time to log again. Good to see the forum and the logs buzzing, it feels like it's gained some momentum in the last few weeks and I hope that's not just a new year thing. Personally I find there's good benefit in logging, not only that it might help or entertain others but the act of writing out your training, thinking aloud, describing how you feel and what's going on in your life allows you to step outside your head and possibly spot patterns or thinking errors. Maybe that should have gone into that thread about logging. I think the act of writing alone, no matter what the content is something worthwhile to keep the noggin healthy and it's something that's dying a death especially with younger people (unless it's less than 280 characters). For that reason, fair play to everyone who has kept up the logs on the forum.

Little catchup...

Since Berlin, I struggled to get back to form but ended up with a really enjoyable last few weeks of the year, finally ducking under 15 mins for the 5k which was my ultimate goal before Christmas. It was on a generous course on a perfect day but I think I'm capable of doing it on other courses this year. I did well in the XC but was just always a step behind my training group. I scored on the team to win us our first senior Munster title in 20 years but it was a little bittersweet a few weeks later in the nationals when for the first time in a long time we won a senior team medal grabbing the bronze. I was 5th scorer and seconds off earning that medal. I was delighted for the lads but I won't lie, it hurt. I can only use that as fuel for next year as we now have a belief in the group that we're capable of winning national team medals. Following the XC I found some good form on the road and it was in part thanks to a change in the training stimulus. The last 2 months have involved lowering the weekly miles to about 60 but turning up the intensity on the track sessions and I've been really enjoying the turn of pace and working on base speed.

Results since Berlin...

• Oct 24 - Streets of Galway 8k - 25:27 - 5th
    • Oct 31 - Munster senior XC - 14th (team gold, 4th scorer)
    • Nov 14 - Thomas Kent 10k - 32:00 - 1st
    • Nov 21 - National senior XC - 74th (team bronze, 5th scorer)
    • Dec 4 - Jingle Bells 5k - 15:01 - 13th
    • Dec 19 - Newmarket 5k - 14:52 - 7th
    • Dec 27 - Togher 5k - 15:04 - 3rd
    • Dec 31 - Fermoy 10k - 31:25 - 4th

Race plan for the next few weeks

• Jan 30 - Raheny 5mile
    • Feb 6 - John Treacy 10 mile
    • Feb 13 - National masters XC
    • Mar 13 - Den Haag half marathon

Because of the 10 mile and half coming up, I've upped the weekly miles to 80 and we're back doing our 20 milers on Sunday. It's going to be a case of 3 weeks of racing in a row with Raheny, John Treacy and the XC so I'm focussing on getting a solid block in for January.

Monday 03/01 - Rest

Monday rests are back in vogue and very much welcomed. I had done a 20 miler the day before and on tired legs from the Fermoy 10k so this was a day for doing zilch. Great start to the log Conor, a rest day.

Tuesday 04/01 - 16.5 miles

• AM: 4.5 miles @ 7:39 m/m
    • PM: Track session: 20 minute tempo (~5:15m/m) and 4 x 1 km (off 2 mins, 2:58, 2:55, 2:56, 2:54)

This was a solid session to kick off the year and set a good tone for the season ahead. It was a baltic night with ice hugging the inside track and spreading rapidly as temperatures were plummeting. We were told to stick to the outer lanes but once we started the tempo it was obvious it didn't make a difference so after a few laps, the whole group just slip-slided back into to lane one. We had a decent group for this despite a few casualties to Covid. Even though the tempo was just 20 minutes, you still have to make sure to relax as the real work starts with the km reps. I think we started at around 5:30 pace and finished at 5:10. I like these sessions, it's a real test fo strength and you really feel the change of pace when you hit the first km. I hadn't done a session like this in a while so didn't quite know what to expect with the km reps. After an F1 style switch of footwear into the spikes, I hit the first km in 2:58 and pleasantly surprised. I felt strong over the next 3 and hit them all around 2:55. Chasing down a particularly fast clubmate helped me to no end. Felt like a great workout and went home feeling pretty content.

Wednesday 05/01 - 13 miles

• AM: 5 miles @ 7:34 m/m
    • PM: 8 miles @ 7:28 m/m

Thursday 06/01 - 13 miles @ 6:55 m/m

With a little more emphasis on mileage for these few weeks I wanted to include a midweek long run in there so Thursday fitted best. For me, anything over 90 mins is a long run. Pointless semantics really but it's good log filler.

Friday 07/01 - 7.5 miles @ 7:29 m/m

Happy to say that the stupid early Friday morning runs are still popular. It was still dark when we finished but I'm looking forward to seeing that change over the next few weeks. Spring shall overcome.

Saturday 08/01 - 4 x 10 mins (off 2 mins) - 13.5 miles

Down to the marina this morning where the recently installed bicycle barriers have become much appreciated runner barriers. I feel a lot safer down there now for doing sessions where previously we'd have to run a lot of it on a busy road. Possibly irritating to cyclists but we always get out of the way if we do encounter bikes and always run towards traffic. There was a nice group of 5 down today but the weather wasn't very nice. It was very mean in fact. Really gusty and showery morning so it was an utter grind but I got it done pretty consistently. I remember the 2nd rep being particularly ghastly running into a headwind and a shower - head down, gritted teeth, manic smile. Still using the Nike tempos for these sessions and just bought a new cheap pair over Christmas.

Paces (m/m) for each rep: 5:11, 5:10, 5:10, 5:10

Sunday 09/01 - 20 miles @ 6:30 m/m

I had to start this one solo at 7am today as I had a horticulture course day starting at 10am on Zoom. My long run compadres kindly adjusted our usual 9am start and met me at 8:15am so I had company for the 2nd half which was very much appreciated. Felt good for this one, much better than last week anyway. I got back in plenty of time for the course day which ran on until 4pm. By 3pm I was actually holding my eyes open.

Weekly miles: 84

Post edited by jebuz on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

That's a stellar end to the year. Congrats on the sub 15. That is serious clipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Thats a serious collection of races and times. 7th in Newmarket is particularly impressive as that was a deep deep field. Really interesting to see - would you usually include a lot of racing in your training?

That's a great end to the year! Well done on the sub 15, brilliant...

Thanks all

Thanks Swashbuckler, it was a great race and a deep field always brings out the best in people because it turns into a proper race. Not only do you want to run a quick time but you want to take scalps and they usually end up complementing each other. My coach has said it over and over again - race and the times will come. I should clarify that that's not race as in just showing up to a race, it's racing the actual race.

I do think racing should be a regular fixture in training, within reason. What are we training for? I don't think people race nearly enough and are always looking too far ahead at target races when they're fit enough to race right now. Who knows what could happen in the next few weeks. If you're running sessions, you can race. Someone said to me recently 'I'm not racing until March'. That someone is actual in great shape right now so I just couldn't comprehend it, I think it's bonkers. It doesn't even matter if you're not in PB shape, races are better than any session. You learn how to hurt, how to be tactical, you're trying to break barriers and for a lot of people it's a personal battle. You just don't get the same physical and psychological stimulus from the safety of a workout. It's not that workouts don't have their place, they obviously do and are a critical element of progress but people seem to just want to train, train and train some more. You also occasionally get your arse kicked which usually serves to drive up the motivation. People care too much what other people think but honestly, nobody really cares what you run and life is too short.

At the end of December I just raced whatever was going because the group is broken up, your routine is out of whack and solo sessions are no craic. It just felt like bonus territory at that stage of the year. All that said, it's still important to put in a blocks of training as typically races are scheduled on a Sunday and that means long runs are missed and usually a session also as you'd be recovering. That's what January is for me right now.

Post edited by jebuz on

Monday 10/01 - Rest

Tuesday 11/01 - 16 miles

• AM: 4 miles @ 7:28 m/m
    • PM: 4 mile tempo (5:14, 5:11, 5:08, 5:08) & 4 x 1km (2:55, 2:56, 2:56, 2:55)

Cut and copy session from last week so I knew what was in store and a better prepared to gauge the efforts. The track was less icy, as in not at all icy so the tempo felt a lot smoother this week with less Bambi on ice manoeuvres. After a few laps we settled into a steady 5:10 pace (~77 sec laps) and just rattled off the laps, all of us basking in the excitement of the km's ahead of us. 16 laps later and it's on with the spikes and off with the gloves (metaphor, I had no gloves on). It's still such a shock to the system going from a tempo effort into V02Max effort in the space of 2 minutes, my legs feel like jelly during the first lap but then the body just accepts it and some even say learns to love it. I'm no scientist but that stimulus has to be good. I knew what I was capable of from last week so I just set out to run 2:55's again (~70 sec laps) and hit them all pretty much nail on the head and they felt steady and controlled. Again, always so much easier chasing lads and also a little humbling seeing that they were running 2:50's. Feeling in very good shape at the moment so time to preserve and protect until the racing kicks off at the end of January.

Wednesday 12/01 - 11.5 miles @ 7:22 m/m

Thursday 13/01 - 13 miles @ 7:06 m/m

Friday 14/01 - 8 miles @ 7:26 m/m + strides

Saturday 15/01 - 2 x 10 mins & 4 x 5 mins on grass (13 miles)

Back to the farm for a bit of XC style fun, and by fun I of course mean pain. I had assumed and assumed poorly that we were going to be on the roads today but the consensus was that the mud was calling us. Thanks a lot mild winter. The ground was reasonably good but some sections demanded spikes or you're just asking for trouble. I didn't have XC spikes with me and I almost wore a pair of Nike tempos but I eventually opted for my lovely clean white Dragonfly's which were sacrificed for the good of the session, but mostly my ankles. This was a good hard honest workout with a solid group of lads where pace didn't matter and it was all about the effort. I made sure to try keep the 10 minute reps controlled as there's an unwritten rule that you crank up the effort for the 5 min reps. I felt pretty strong today and this will do no harm at all in preparing the legs for the upcoming masters XC in February, a good volume based strength session.

10 mins @ 5:16 m/m (2 min rec)

10 mins @ 5:10 m/m (2 min rec)

5 mins @ 5:05 m/m (2 min rec)

5 mins @ 5:04 m/m (2 min rec)

5 mins @ 5:09 m/m (90 sec rec)

5 mins @ 5:03 m/m (90 sec rec)

Sunday 16/01 - 20 miles @ 6:32 m/m

A nice solid finish to another good week, felt grand for this one but always so much easier with good company and chat. I have to say the weather has been fantastic recently. Little or no wind, sunny days, mild(ish) temperatures - it's not far from the goldilocks zone for running, and it's January!

Weekly miles: 82

Monday 17/01 - Rest

Tuesday 18/01 - 16 miles

• AM: 4.5 miles @ 7:24 m/m
    • PM: 6 x 1 mile (200m recovery) - 4:51, 4:50, 4:50, 4:53, 4:54, 4:51

A little change of stimulus today as we draw closer to Raheny and boy it was a real wheezer of a session. The short recovery of 200m (~70-75 sec) was pretty brutal on the legs but it felt like a great stressor and I was pleased to have gotten the pacing fairly right. A mild and slightly blustery evening at the Mardyke track and a great gaggle of lads down this evening to work with. I was feeling good for the first 3 reps knocking out 72-73 sec laps but the real session started in the last 3 reps and it started demanding a lot more out of me, as it should. I developed a fairly painful side stitch during the latter stages of the 5th rep and was really starting to struggle. One thing keeping me going was some club mates doing a session of 400's in 72-73 seconds and they were dropping in behind me every few laps so I almost felt a responsibility to keep the laps steady for them, it actually ended up helping me a lot. When I finished the 5th rep I considered just calling it a good session there, especially when I noted the pace was starting to trend downwards. 5 miles is a good session yeah? During the recovery however I took some long deep breaths and relaxed before psyching myself up for the last one. It's 4 laps I thought, just go on and do it, you're well able. I was glad I did as the stitch subsided and I finished strong with a solid 4:51 and possibly one of the best sessions I've done in a while, or ever. I feel I'm almost ready for Raheny now and just need to get there in one piece.

Wednesday 19/01 - 13 miles

• AM: 9 miles @ 7:26 m/m
    • PM: 4 miles @ 7:32 m/m

Thursday 20/01 - 13.5 miles (+strides) @ 6:44 m/m

Friday 21/01 - 8 miles (+strides) @ 7:26 m/m

Saturday 22/01 - 2 x 10 mins (2 min rec) & 4 x 5 mins (1 min rec) on grass (13 miles)

Well I remembered to bring proper XC spikes this week so that meant I didn't have to spend Saturday afternoon scrubbing the white back into my Dragonflys. Another perfect morning for a session, this is getting strange. A smaller group this week with some racing going on this weekend but as always a solid group to fall in with. The farm is in ridiculously good condition which is still astonishing for January. I wasn't feeling quite as fresh as I was last week and really couldn't go up the gears on the 5 min reps but when I look at the week, I ran one of the best sessions of my life on Tuesday so there's bound to be a bit of a hangover from that. The 1 minute recovery didn't help much either. I was really struggling on the last 5 min rep and was after letting a gap form up to a clubmate but I had the strength (or stubbornness) over the last few minutes to kick on to get back up to the him. Job done. That's not me done yet for the day either, I'm moving house in 2 weeks so I've an afternoon of boxing and lifting ahead of me. You could look at it as a core session...ah who am I kidding, it's going to be sh*t.

10 mins @ 5:14 m/m (2 min rec)

10 mins @ 5:13 m/m (2 min rec)

5 mins @ 5:08 m/m (1 min rec)

5 mins @ 5:11 m/m (1 min rec)

5 mins @ 5:12 m/m (1 min rec)

5 mins @ 5:08 m/m

Sunday 23/01 - 20 miles @ 6:31 m/m

Nice 20 today which seemed to fly by but a nice starting group of 6 made for good company. I was a bit achy all over from all of the lifting yesterday (and the session I suppose) but I felt fine once I got into it. That's the last one of these for 3 weeks as we enter into a racing period but looking back on the last 4 weeks, I'm pretty happy with that block and glad to have gotten in 4 big long runs which should stand to me for the John Treacy 10 mile. An extra-hot hot chocolate capped off this week nicely.

Weekly miles: 83.5

Post edited by jebuz on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

You guys have great consistency down in Cork.

Would you have done these sessions as consistently when you were in Dublin - and does the quality of the Cork group give added motivation??

That 6x1m is eye watering!!

• Advertisement

I think my eyes might have been actually watering during it also AMK! There's a good sense of optimism around Cork around the moment in terms of running and I think the standard has really increased in the last year. Our senior women have been very successful nationally in recent years but the men now seem to be getting some momentum and belief that national medals are possible. Fellow club mate Ryan Creech has really put Cork on the map this year with some of his big performances and to be honest just being around that standard week in and week out has pushed a lot of us to higher standards ourselves. I don't think I've ever trained with a better group until now, it's just no b*llshit hard training and there are no egos. I realised last Tuesday that I was actually looking forward to training that evening, it's just enjoyable. Jesus you'd swear I was from Cork. Oh no, it's happening...

I can't compare sessions I'm doing now to those I did in Dublin, it's just not a fair comparison. They were very much the apprentice (or blissfully naive) years for me where I had just started running and was mostly training from a Pfitzinger & Douglas book, which to be fair worked well for me at the time. I was only with Donore for a few months before I headed off travelling and I can barely remember the sessions we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

Have to say, I like how detailed your run reports are. Not sure where you find the time for that (inbetween the race celebration and training 🙂) or how you remember every split, every k etc. detailed though which is impressive!

whats your expectations for raheny other than finish?

Thanks BC. Well I enjoy writing so it always feels like time well spent and typically it doesn't actually take too long once the race is still fresh in my memory. I find if I don't write the race report within 2-3 days then I should probably forget about it. Strava is a blessing for writing reports as I can relive the race through the splits. I don't actually remember splits off hand and probably shouldn't either if I'm properly racing!

Expectations for Raheny? improve on my last 24:37, that's all I can ask for. I think I'm there, it's just a case of getting it out of me on the day and hoping for decent conditions. It's going to be a cracker of a race. My bib still hasn't arrived so that kind of worries me...

Best of luck with it and hopefully the number will arrive on time 😉. Looking forward to the race report!

Monday 24/01 - Rest

Tuesday 25/01 - 14.5 miles

• AM: 4.5 miles @ 8:03 m/m
    • PM: 10 x 400m (200m rec) - 68,70,71,70,70,69,70,69,69,70

Less homework this evening with the race coming up at the weekend. Most of the group are racing Raheny this weekend so we were told to just relax and knock out 70 second laps. The session was 14 x 400m with a recovery of 200m. I had a feeling some of the group might misbehave a little and I was right, the first one was 68. I just wandered right to the back of the group then and kept out of trouble because there's really nothing to be gained this week and I was perfectly happy to run 70's. I felt a slight niggle in my achilles on the warmup and then again a few reps into the session. Not good but not alarming either. I was moving fine and feeling good but pretty much decided about 5 reps in to cut it short and I'd finish up at 10. Maybe I should have dropped out earlier because I did just say that there was nothing to be gained this week. It's easier said than done I suppose. It was only Tuesday, last little blowout before the race and I was pretty confident it would clear up for Sunday. I still felt it niggling on the cooldown but not too worried as I knew I'd be winding down now and just easy running until the race. I don't know what caused this, one possibility is the stupid clunky Hoka Arahi shoes that I wore on my warmup as I didn't feel any niggle on the morning run in my usual shoes. I rarely wear these Hokas (I won them) but was forced to as I forgot to put my Pegasus in the car in the morning. They feel so uncomfortable so I might bin or donate them...or burn them. It's always easier to blame the shoes. In other news, my race bib has still not arrived so I sent an email to the people who send bibs out asking why they did not send my bib out. I hope they send my bib out.

Wednesday 26/01 - 8 miles

• AM: 4 miles @ 8:03 m/m Intentionally slowed down this morning to mind this achilles. It's definitely a flare and I'm familiar with these as I used to get them regularly but I reckon it's been over a year since I got one. It's just a dull ache that's not very threatening but threatening enough for me to react to it. I think it's best to keep moving very lightly on it with lower volume and intensity. I'll just have to manage it up until Sunday but the timing is not bad as I'm in wind down mode anyway.
    • PM: 4 miles @ 7:57 m/m already a bit better

Thursday 27/01 - 8 miles

• AM: 4 miles @ 8:07 m/m still niggly but much better
    • PM: 4 miles @ 8:12 m/m almost there

Friday 28/01 - 7.5 miles @ 7:36 m/m

Unbelievable Jeff, it's back! The wicked pilonidal abscess that struck me down in April of 2015 is back, in all it's arsey glory. You all remember, don't you? Of course you don't but it's there in my log and I don't really want to relive it again. The story is since last Sunday I've experienced a very uncomfortable pain while sitting, just above my tailbone. It's been particularly touchy when I drive and the rugged country roads of Cork really don't help. Getting out of bed is very sore. So I went to the doctor today thinking it was a muscular pain from lifting boxes, a reasonable assumption if a little naive. To my horror he told me it's the early stages of a pilonidal abscess. I fell off the chair. I didn't fall off the chair but I could have. My heart sank a little. I shudder just thinking back to that excruciating ordeal which ended up with me having surgery and a 2 week lay off. The daily visits to a nurse to get the wound packed were my particular favourite. Anyway the good news is we caught it early this time, it's not a golf ball, not even a grain of rice but it's definitely there. The bad news is I have to go onto antibiotics for a week. I'm humming and hawing about racing Raheny now. This is ridiculous timing, as always. I'm sure I'd get through it ok but I have no idea how I'll react to antibiotics and I don't want to spend 6 hours driving just to have a stinker of a race but on the other hand I do have an excellent excuse. I can't even remember the last time I was on antibiotics and I've certainly no recollection of ever running on them. Also, I really don't want to make it worse and end up with a golf ball on my bum. But on the other hand, I was ready for Raheny and I reaaaaaallllly want to go. I don't know. The coach has suggested going for it anyway. I might do a few miles in the morning and see how I'm feeling. What does the internet reckon?

Oh, the achilles is fine also. But nobody care about that anymore

For one … Arahi wouldn’t be my favourite hoka either (and I’m a hoka fan boy 😁).

since you asked the “internet”. I don’t know how serious this whole thing is or what exactly it is but if running hard has no impact on it, go for it.

However, if it’s something where running could potentially increase the risk of being out injured I wouldn’t chance it. Life is too short to throw it away for a race. There will be plenty more to come! but again that’s only if running has an impact one way or the other.

In regards to running with antibiotics I have no experience there. Can’t even remember the last time I had antibiotics, hence no clue why someone wouldn’t run when taking them. I usually go by “if you don’t have fever which could impact your heart you are good to run”

As someone who is frustrated at not being anywhere near the shape I'd like to be in and, as a result, not running Raheny (my favourite race) on Sunday, I'd say go for it. My experience with anti-biotics is a bit hit and miss; sometimes I've gotten away with it, sometimes I haven't. But I've usually had no issue in making the decision to roll those particular dice.

But if you're not 100% sure on the achilles, I'd say keep your powder dry. Raheny isn't the race to be harbouring any doubts 😛

Another one here not doing Raheny & I'm gutted, not that I thought I'd be in peak race performance but more just looking forward to such a good race!

My opinion for what it's worth is only you will know ultimately if you can race it. From reading your linked post it sounds like it was an extremely painful thing & of course you don't want it to get that bad again but it sounds like you have caught it early enough this time. This is my 1st injury (i know, woe is me) but it has knocked me for six, simply because what I love doing has been taken away from me for now. I think I'm in the mind frame right now to be very cautious & to listen to my body carefully. There is progress being made, albeit it's slow progress which to me is good. You don't want to do anything that risks this getting worse(but you already know this😉) Weigh it all up & you will come to the best decision for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Playing catch up on the log man been a while great to see you running so well as of late. Remember Ryan Creech growing up at age group levels in cross country tough as nails great person to have around training.

In terms of Raheny my advice would be to play it safe . Should caveat that with saying that I usually steer towards a cautious approach anyway but antibiotics take a toll on the body and is it really worth the risk with a compromised immune system in the current climate in a sell out race?

• Advertisement

Saturday 29/01 - 4 miles @ 7:11 m/m

Well this was a little tester both in terms of the achilles and the antibiotics and it was all good but I think it's way too early to assess how the latter affected me since I only started them yesterday. Thanks to all for the opinions above, good to hear others perspectives. I felt good this morning and I know I'm in the shape to run a good race tomorrow but I guess how it goes would be in the hands of the gods. I know most advice will probably tell you not to race on antibiotics but I think in this case, the reason I'm on antibiotics is an isolated infection and so the real threat is not my ailment but rather the effects of the antibiotics whether that's on my immune system or GI issues. I trust the antibiotics will take care of the infection, my doctor was confident about that and he told me I'd be ok to race but said there's no way of knowing how the antibiotics will impact. I've also got to look at it as just 25 minutes of hard running, not a 10 miler or a half marathon, which will be followed by another easy week before the 10 miler. My body is telling me I can do this but it's not without caution either. I guess we'll see tomorrow...

...and great to see a legend of the boards back! hope all is well

More a myth of a runner at this stage its been so long haha.

All good bar lack of fitness haha

And this is why you have people like me talking about lost fitness and comebacks while you just get it done, fair play man great run and hope the new 400m supershoe tax Raheny implemented wasn’t too painful 😂

Sunday 30/01 - RACE! Raheny 5 mile

Ding ding ding, it's road racing season. The highly revered Raheny 5 mile is probably one of the fastest 5 miles in the Ireland (and maybe even the UK) and with the start line looking almost like a national championship, there's no better race to test yourself early in the season. My last appearance here was two years ago just before the pandemic and I ran a very satisfying 24:37 to finish 27th. I was really up for this one having been banging out some good sessions recently and feeling back in top form since the XC season. Hitting 4:50's in training for mile reps suggested I could go close to holding 4:50 for the 5 miles, well I'd try anyway.

However all of that excitement was put on hold last Wednesday when as my doctor immediately put me on a course of antibiotics to attack what is essentially a baby zit on my tailbone. It was in the early stages but had the potential to put me in hospital (again) so I was completely on board with nipping it in the butt (hehe). The antibiotics did concern me though and my own assumption was that you can't race on them but I guess it's not always that black and white. The doc told me to race away if I wanted to but expect that there may be side effects in the form of nausea or GI issues, as long as it wouldn't irritate the issue down below. In my head, I went out into a silent woods. I sat on a log and stared infinitely into the ground. Should I race? I couldn't decide so I asked boards and some runner friends. I got some mixed responses, all of them pretty sensible and much appreciated. In the end the decision was to travel up, toe the line and if I was in trouble early on I'd have the sense to pull up and call it a day. Seemed like a fair plan.

With a hotel booked in Ballymun and an IKEA shopping list in my pocket, off I set on Saturday afternoon. I was perched somewhat comfortably on an airplane neck cushion to protect my tailbone and made it up to capital city in good time with a few sympathy stops along the way. IKEA was mental even after 6pm but I did the best I could. Thankfully the hotel was right outside IKEA so I was looking forward to relaxing for the evening. I bumped into clubmate Ryan just as I was arriving in the hotel. He was just heading out for pizza with his better half so I joined them and we had a nice old doughy time of it. It was kind of sad when I had to order a heineken 0.0% though, thanks a lot drugs.

Race day arrived and the race is bloody hours away. I'm sure the 3pm start suits a lot of people travelling from around the country, but it's not great when you're in a hotel at 9am and Raheny is only 20 minutes away. I had good sensible plans to fill my time anyway with some assignments for the horticulture course. This worked out really well as I got into the zone and suddenly it was 1pm and time to leg it. My bib never arrived in the post so I had to factor in getting to the HQ to get a new bib. I didn't factor that in. I actually left the hotel at around 1:20pm and traffic wasn't great so suddenly I was hurrying to get there before 2pm which is when they say the bib collection ends. It was now 1:45pm and I'm about 1km away so I just threw the car in the closest housing estate, lobbed on my runners and legged it down to scoil Aine. I got there and there was a queue for numbers so I knew I was ok. I got the new number, pinned it on and we're all good to go. It's just after 2pm so plenty of time. I ran back to the car and got myself properly ready. I was feeling really good on the warmup jog so I was still feeling like the antibiotics weren't affecting me at all and I could possibly get through this race unscathed. I promise I was taking them. I did some leg kicks and felt an immediate strain on my hamstring. Uh oh. This worried me as I read that antibiotics can affect the muscles (lack of electrolytes) but I had been taking a few dioralytes to try combat that. Anyway it just ended up being another thing to worry about that wasn't worth worrying about. Googling of anything medical related for the average human being should be banned.

Fast forward to the start line. I found my other clubmates who had travelled up on the day. We'd really targeted this race since Christmas and we definitely had an eye on the team title. The start was chaotic two years ago and there was no reason for it to be any different this time. I ended up about three rows back which was fine. My coach told me to take it out a little easier for this race and try come through, which I actually agreed with it because I do always seem to race a bit better when I'm coming through rather than blasting out and hanging on. The day was windy, very windy but other than that, dry and mild. Almost good conditions. The wind would be a bit of a pain in the neck but I'm a little fella and there would most definitely be groups to work with today so it was about racing smart.

Mile 1: 4:48

I am terrified of big race starts ever since taking a nasty fall in the Hague half marathon two years ago. I usually start a race now with my arms spread wide to avoid getting tripped. I don't know if this strange tactic works but I suppose I haven't fallen since. It was indeed chaos, I don't know how I got swallowed up so quickly but I was a good bit back. There's no need to panic, it's a long race. It wasn't until the first turn that I got some room to the side and made my way up the field a bit. I noted four Leevale clubmates ahead of me and I was happy to sit behind the lads until I got into my stride. I wasn't watching my pace at all but did take a glace when every mile split popped up. I was feeling really good in the first mile which is pretty fast and was a little surprised to see it read 4:48. I must have been back in about 30th but I know exactly how races like these races go, people go out very hard and I was striving for consistency today.

Mile 2: 4:56

This is a draggy mile but I was feeling strong and started pulling away from the people around me. I was in danger of falling into a comfortable group but I saw clubmate Gavin maybe 20m ahead of me along with some other lads I know I can complete with on my day. There was also added motivation of scoring on the team today (first 3). As I might have said, I was left disappointed but motivated after the nationals when I was 5th scorer on the bronze winning team. Funny enough it was the exact same 5 clubmates around me in Raheny but only 3 spots today. There was no doubting number 1 on our team and I was taking note of the commentary and smiled to myself when I heard Ryan Creech was leading the way. If I got myself up to Gavin I knew we would be in with a great shout for the team. I didn't really take note of the split for this mile as I was focussed on attaching to the group ahead.

Mile 3: 4:50

About 400m into this mile I landed safely to the back of the group. There was Gavin and three or four other runners and they were moving well. I didn't need to barge to the front, this had to be a bit controlled so I just sat quietly at the back, relaxed for a few minutes and observed what was going on ahead of me. I knew we were flying as a unit it so why not take a ride off them. As we made our way towards the park, I could see the 3 mile mark approaching. I took a glance at the time and we were 14:31 or so which means we'd be hitting 5k in just over 15 minutes. This was a very similar split to my last race but I did fade in the last 2 miles back then. The little group was starting to stretch now and I figured it was time to put in some work.

Mile 4: 4:57

I took to the front of the group at the start of the mile as we charged into the park. Gavin is stuck to my back but I can feel a small gap forming and the group starting to really stretch. I wanted Gavin there for the team, but I also wanted to drop him. I'm so conflicted. We've reeled in a runner from Drogheda who was after getting detached from the lead pack and he's happy to stick around for the ride also. I took a sharp left up towards the U-turn and this was a bloody ghastly section. Not only is it a drag but the headwind was gushing into our eyeballs. It was grim, head-down-eyes-wide-grit-your-teeth grim. I was front running the group here and my gap had all but disappeared as the Drogheda runner came up alongside me. It definitely dawned on me at one point that we have been on this stretch for a very long time (compared to 2020) and when the watch beeped for 4 mile I knew something was amiss. I was 100% sure that the 4 mile mark was after the U-turn but we hadn't even turned yet. I didn't think too much about it nor had a long course occured to me at that stage. I was purely focussed on getting away from this group and finishing strong. The team wasn't even in my mind at this point, it was selfishly me for myself from here on in. I think there was a 4 mile PB in there, just over 19:30 or so.

Mile 5: 4:59 (+Mile 0.3 @ 4:41 m/m)

It's so tough to get moving again after the U-turn but I just had to get on with it. Aaron (Drogheda) took up the lead after the turn and I just stuck to him as I worked into a good rhythm again. I even noted the 4 mile mark a few minutes into this mile, but I validated it by assuming that it was the 4 mile mark on the way up the avenue and that my 2020 memory was lying. No time to think, focus. We exited the park and I think this is where GPS goes haywire with all of the trees, I'm pretty sure this mile was a tad quicker. I noted Aaron was tiring and losing form a bit. But then again, I'm also tiring and losing form. Despite both of us firmly in rag-doll territory, I decided to make a move knowing we'd only a couple of minutes running left. Also, he is way younger than me and looks very fast. Gavin was also tracking both of us closely and also has a ridiculous turn of pace so I needed to cement my place now. I went around Aaron as confidently as I could and I started getting away every so slightly. I'm really in hurty territory now but I know it's almost done. I am almost done aren't I? I'm familiar with the turny finish but suddenly out of nowhere, with a few turns yet to turn, my watch beeps for 5 miles. What? Now it all makes sense. The course is definitely long. Still, stop thinking Conor and just drive it on for these few extra seconds. Seconds right? Nope. A good bit to go yet. 500 meters to be exact. That last 90 seconds or so really, really tested me. I was running on fumes and so was everyone else but there was no way I was losing my place. I think I ended up extending the gap slightly and I held on, crossing the line in 14th place with club mate Gavin coming in just behind in 16th place. As I crossed, I knew had run a good race whatever the real time was and I heard Dick Hooper announce that Leevale have probably won the team prize. I still didn't know my position so I was over the moon later to hear I was on the first page of results, an upgrade from my last outing by 13 places. Plus we did win the team prize. I was also delighted to see Ryan having a stormer coming in second and another big performance from Tim O'Donoghue in 5th flying the flag for Cork.

As risky as it might have been, I think it was a good decision to race, you just have to take those chances when you're there and primed to compete. I did take into account how I was feeling, how the warm up felt and my general reaction to the medicine. All the signs were telling me to go for it. There doesn't seem to be any consequences (yet) and the infection is clearing up so I am on track to run again next week in Dungarvan. I averaged 4:53 per mile for the 5.3 miles so really not too far off the 4:50's I thought I was capable of and definitely heading in the right direction. I was particularly delighted with my strenght over the last 2 miles where I was able to pull away and I feel a much stronger runner than I was 2 years ago. It may be a consequence of doing a lot more 20 milers, or it could be the recent haircut I got, I don't know.

The next morning, as I lay in bed I was thinking about developing a little calculator to figure out approximate genuine times on a long/short course. Before the idea left my brain, I made a coffee, sat down and coded it up it before work. The result was this: https://myrunningpace.com/long-short. I shared the link to a couple of lads in Whatsapp and on a boards thread. That evening it was after getting almost 700 hits and doing the rounds in a lot of running circles. The internet is mad! The calculator works out your pace for 5.3 miles and then applies that pace to 5 miles, fairly simple. Even that calculation is probably a little conservative because it doesn't account for the extra distance you raced but at least it's a consistent calculation and better than people taking their 5 mile split from their GPS of which there can be wild variability. My 5 mile time came out at 24:25 which would have been a 12 second PB. I'm ok with not getting the PB, I'm thrilled with the run, the placing and winning the team prize. There'll be plenty more chances to run a 5 mile PB so it's really not worth getting upset over.

Raheny put on a great race as they always do. Yes a human error was made and a lot of people were disappointed but they held their hands up, they'll learn from it and it won't happen again. I have no doubt it will not affect the reputation and turnout of the race for next year, it's got too strong of a reputation and history. We're actually lucky to have such a high calibre race for such a small population. Despite all of that longness, it was a great kick-off to the road racing season, people are in great from and I can't wait to get stuck into some more racing. This week is all about recovery and getting fresh again for the 10 mile.

Summary: 14th in 25:55 (~24:25)

Full results

Post edited by jebuz on

Great run man and congrats on the team win.

Not quite as hectic a race morning as a certain Berlin escapade IIRC but you still like a bit of pressure on race day haha.

Good to see that majority of people seem to have taken the error in good spirit and not got too worked up about it. I think it's worth remembering that this is the first year operating without Pat Hooper as race organizer. The man was a legend and very hard boots to fill

• Advertisement

Outstanding. I was marshalling near the park exit and wondered which of the Leevale lads was you - you all looked in good shape, at what turned out to be about the 5 mile point. Thanks for not giving out about the SNAFU. The club has shared your calculator too on the website. Congrats on a great run and a brilliant account of it, and also the team prize. You should also share the link to your clubmate's top 10. Or forget that, I will:

That was Dick Hooper doing the commentary by the way, not Dave. 😉

Thanks @Murph_D, both for the kind words and your (assumed) top notch marshalling. I didn't think I needed to share Donal's 10 things, he's such a mega celeb now, it's the first thing the whole running community looks forward after a race and they're always very entertaining reads. He went easy on the mistake also which I expected, Donal's a big fan of 'approximado' races, and maybe rightly so because they're just pure races for position.

I think I might start charging for this calculator 😁 Donal had an idea of doing a supershoe calculator which adjusts your race time for 'old' shoes. I'm not sure it would be as popular...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great race and an amazing performance - to place 14th in that race is a fantastic achievement - especially with 1.1 tailbones.

Whats on the plan for you after Dungarvan?

Great read as always! Well done on another great performance😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Well done on the race and on the race report - I always enjoy the detail you give and the humorous expression of the thoughts you have as you race, makes for a great read!

edit: I've just clicked on your strava, dear god when I see it in KM's it's just shockingly fast and incredibly consistent over the distance, bravo

• Advertisement

Thanks Alan. After Dungarvan it’ll be head down for a half marathon 3 weeks later in The Hague in and after that maybe back to some shorter races again.

Hell of a performance and hell of a report. Really great to hear about what goes on at the pointy end in a race filled with such quality. Serious serious running. I was blown away by Newmarket but 14th in Raheny? Seriously? Keep the log going. Great to follow.

I’d love to see that supershoe calculator 😁

serious running though. Raheny is fast but only if you are in row 1 or 2 at the start. After that I’d say you lose so much time being stuck in traffic. Then again it adds to the excitement I assume! 14th is amazing! Really well done!

A fairly easy going week as planned with the only aim of recovering the body for Dungarvan with a small effort mid week. This was also the week I actually moved house and that certainly put a bit of stress on me both physically and mentally. Today (Saturday) was actual moving day but I was lucky to have help from my folks and more importantly a moving company - money well spent. I'm winding down for the evening now and hopeful that we get a good day of it tomorrow. It's looking mighty breezy but then again, it was mighty breezy last week too!

Monday 31/01 - 6.5 miles @ 7:27 m/m

Contemplated not running at all but ended up just meeting a club mate for a blegh run (whatever pace, whatever distance) and it ended up being a nice run.

Tuesday 01/02 - 11.5 miles @ 7:39 m/m

Went down to the track and a few of the lads who ran Raheny were just going easy so we headed out the straight road to Ballincollig and debriefed the race, again.

Wednesday 02/02 - 10 miles @ 7:29 m/m

Thursday 03/02 - 4 mile tempo (5:37, 5:27, 5:12, 4:58) (8 miles)

This suited me and my legs just fine. I was still feeling a bit tired and a 4 mile tempo didn't sound so bad even with the howling wind down at the track. I sat in with Gavin for the session who was also tired after he forced me to beat him last Sunday and it was a nice session where we took it easy to start and finished strong. We also forgot to get off at the tempo stop when we finally hit that pace, and just kept on going. No harm done (I think).

Friday 04/02 - 6 miles @ 7:31 m/m

Nice early morning jog with club mate. Finished the antibiotics today and the infection has been nuked, nice try pilonidal abscess! back to your hole (pun intended)

Saturday 05/02 - 3 miles @ 7:26 m/m

With a physically demanding day ahead of me I still wanted one last little jog in Blarney so I headed off at first light (it was really 8am) along my favourite walkway hugging the river Martin. The routes around here have served me so well for the last 5 or 6 years so it was a nice little goodbye but onto newer pastures. I just hope the day (and week) don't have a big impact on tomorrow but compared to last week this should be the least of my worries!

Post edited by jebuz on

Sunday 06/02 - RACE! Dungarvan 10 mile

This would be only my 2nd race longer than 10k in almost 2 years. That's a bit mad. I was looking forward to this after a good run last week in Raheny and hoping to take a scalp off the PB of 52:27 last summer. My plan (pre weather forecast) was to run around 5:05's and get under 51 minutes. I'd ran 50:56 in in a time trial about a year ago but on a perfectly flat loop on a perfectly calm day which doesn't really count but it at least showed me I'm capable of a similar time. Today was neither flat nor calm, it was anti-calm. The winds were expected in the region of 35 kmph and miles 3-5 were straight into that headwind. This should be fun. All of this didn't really change my plan, I just said I'd go out at the 5:05's and deal with the wind when it hit and try gauge the effort. I am staying in a hotel in Midleton for a few days until the new house is habitable and I ended up having a nice long 9 hour sleep so I was feeling well rested but not sure how the whole week of moving and being on antibiotics might still affect me. I made it down to Dungarvan just before 10am and parked up. I laced up and headed off for a 2 mile jog and really felt the brute force of those westerlies. As a small framed person prone to wind damage, I really hoped I would be able to sit in and work with a group today and willing to do some of the work too, not that I offer much physically. To the start line and I have to say there was a great buzz around the town. I chatted with some runners I hadn't seen in a while, performed some mandatory leg kicks, dumped my jacket behind a rock and finally lined up for the countdown.

Mile 1: 5:05

Off we go. It felt like a pedestrian start and I was bunched in the lead group who seemed to be working very slowly into the race. I looked around and felt a bit out of my depth but then I glanced down to see us running 5:10's and so I just went with it. The mile picked up pace as we headed back past the start and enjoyed a downhill to the roundabout where we clocked 5:05. Feeling good but looking around, I knew current company wouldn't be sticking around for long.

Mile 2: 5:05

I was right. The group dropped the hammer and the super 6 gradually pulled away. I could have gone with them but in hindsight now, it was a good decision not to, I would have been out of my depth and it was only mile 2 of 10. I continued the plan of running 5:05's and had company with West Waterford trainer partner Pat as we worked up the hill, hearing the shout of 5:10 for 2 miles. On track and feeling quite alright.

Mile 3: 5:04

Still moving well and into a good rhythm now but I had now pulled away from Pat during this mile and the inevitable of being isolated for the windy patch was not even inevitable any more, it was going to happen.

Mile 4: 5:25

Welcome to Windyville, Co.Waterford, population: you and only you. This was not very nice. As I said, I'm a small framed boy and I just really struggle with the wind. The super 6 were now a good distance ahead. I gritted my teeth and battled as best I could but it was absolutely sapping me of energy. It was like a million little tiny ghosts kicking and pushing me backwards as I mustered every ounce to hold them back. 5:25 popped up for the mile. Yep, sounds about right.

Mile 5: 5:28

One more mile of this. Can you do that? I probably can but I'm really not happy about it, I feel like I'm not even moving. Just get to the left turn and after the turn, things will get better, I promise you. But the turn is nowhere near me, it's miles away up the road. No it's around 5 miles, I promise you. It better be because this is sheer hell. Do you think you made the right decision not going with the super 6? I think so because I can't see them anymore and I'm already at death's door. I think it was a good decision too, you are very smart. Just focus on the hedges and keep going. What species of hedges do you think they are? There's a good mix of natives hedges there I'd say like whitethorn, spindle, blackthorn, you know. Yep I hear you. Ugh.

Mile 6: 5:13

It's after 5 miles, I'm still eating wind and I've still not turned yet. Eventually a turn does appear thank flip. There were crowds of people cheering but I was so downtrodden I didn't really acknowledge them. When I did turn, the relief was almost immediate with the biggest noticable difference being the sound. It was eerily calm and quiet. There was nobody behind me and nobody in front of me. Just the sounds of my clown boots slapping off the country roads. It was very, very odd and felt like I was in the middle of a big workout, which is quite typical for the longer races. I think you've too much time to think in races of 10 miles or longer. I struggled to get the engine going again but some running was starting to return to the legs. There was lady on a bike ahead which gave me something to look at and chase. She was going the same pace as me but then at some point she was just gone and I don't remember when or where she disappeared. Maybe was not real.

Mile 7: 5:03

The course was bumpy enough around here and I was still working harder than I wanted to be with 4 miles left. The course was very rural at this stage with some rural people out in their rural gardens shouting rural stuff at me, good encouraging stuff which usually prompted a weak thumbs up from me. A 10k mat and a clock appeared out of nowhere with a man nearby shouting at me to add 1 minute to the time. I think the clock read around 31:30 and I liked the look of that until I added a minute to it. I spend about 30 seconds wondering how the clock was exactly 1 minute behind. My conclusion was that they forgot to start it in sync with the starting gun and so they decided to start it exactly 1 minute later to make sums easier for the runners. "Add 26 seconds" for example would be very difficult for runners already 6.2 miles though a 10 mile race. Following the fake 10k time was a nice, nice 2 minute downhill where I let the legs completely go started to feel good, mainly because of the downhill. It was then onto a very nicely paved tarmac road and hitting 5:03 definitely lifted spirits.

Mile 8: 5:05

Despite all of the struggles, I was now moving well and felt a PB was still on. With little else to think about, I calculated I could probably run under 52 minutes if I kept the pace in the 5:0X region for the remainder. The surface was perfect here with a massive tailwind. There were pockets of support right around the course which was great and really helped push me on at some of the more difficult stages. You've got to love the Irish road racing scene and you can tell that Dungarvanites are very proud of their race. I wanted to go faster than 5:05's but I couldn't, the legs were overly zapped from the windy stretch earlier and I was running at what I felt was the fastest pace that could be sustained for 3 more miles. I finally caught a glimpse of the super 6 ahead now which was no longer a super 6 but had fragmented into smaller bits but still whole humans, each no doubt hurting just as much as I was. It still felt like a long way to go with energy running getting low. I was now approaching the final left turn where the long straight towards the finish would greet me. In the far far away distance, already on the home straight, I saw the leader Hugh Armstrong. He's so far ahead of me. I wished I was where he was but then again, someone will see me there in a few minutes and wish they were where I was. As I said, running almost 10 miles solo gives you a way too much time to think.

Mile 9: 5:14

Just after the start of mile 9 I hit a small little hill which utterly murdered my good rhythm. I then took the left turn onto the N25 and what I thought would be a flat fast mile was not really a fast mile at all. It turns out this is a sneaky drag but I didn't know it at the time and my groove was most definitely over. I was really working hard up here but glanced down at the watch and thought to myself I've less than 10 minutes of running here, just come on and do it. Get the PB. Get under 52. What was all of that hurt for earlier? I struggled on, hurting like hell at this stage, evident by the barbaric grunts and dribbly mouth. When I heard the shout of 46:55 hitting mile 9 I felt it was touch and go for the sub 52. Let's crack on and see.

Mile 10: 5:04

I did get going here but I also didn't realise that the drag was over and assumed it was all final mile energy. It was probably a combination of both. I really did get moving though and felt like I was hammering it for the last mile. I passed a sign with 800m to go, got some great shouts and was really breathing hard. Then I took a left turn, the wind slapped in the face and I was challenged to a final showdown with a dastardly climb. Rag-doll outfit on and up we charge. It felt like a lonnnnng hill but I suddenly remembered we had passed the finish at mile 3 and it was on a nice downhill. That means just get to the top of the hill, discard the outfit and GO. I did just that, the support and cheering was immense and even better because it was all for me. See, there actually are benefits to running in no-man's land! I was hurtling my little legs down that hill, finish line in sight now with the clock ticking onto 51:40. I think I can do it....I must do it....I did it. 51:58 for 7th spot. Job done and I had completely emptied myself on that last mile. For the first time after a race I felt like I was going to puke. A man came to offer me a foil blanket, first time that's happened. I was happy in that sense because I think I got the pacing and overall effort just about right.

In hindsight now it was a good result, not quite what I had hoped timewise but given the week in it and the weather conditions, running a PB in that was a very good day. Another nice unexpected bonus in leading the club to a team win also. That's race 2/3 done and it's back to the muck for next week for the national Masters in Cork.

Summary 7th in 51:58

Full results

Post edited by jebuz on

Man oh man. Running out of superlatives for these runs. Mighty impressive. How you kept managing to pull back to 5.05's each time is beyond me. Says a lot about your strength. And all solo too.

Some great humour in there too. Rural people in rural gardens shouting rural stuff 😄

Great racing. 7th in Dungarvan. Quite the CV you're building!

Super stuff, brilliant to hold that together running solo for almost the whole race. My own experience, nearly 19 minutes behind you, was pretty different, but I had a lot of the same thoughts.

Classy!

Fair play C a lot of long straight soul searching stretches on that course for a solo runner especially of a windy day. The PB is a testament to the mental strength. As much as the physical. Great but if racing as of late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Savage running and reporting.

A whirlwind of a week as I finally moved into the new gaff on Tuesday. There was a lot of physical (and mental) exertion expected with many things and people to take care of so after a chat with Donie early in the week he absolutely removed all pressure in terms of training and said take it as a down week week, no sessions and just get out for a run whenever you feel. He reminded me I'm in good shape and I'll still be fresh for the XC on Sunday. I have to say it really did work and exactly what I needed as I got to enjoy the move, got about my business and woke up in the new house every morning feeling relaxed and really to tackle the day. This is where the art of coaching becomes more than just about athletics and factors in life.

Monday 07/02 - Rest

Tuesday 08/02 - Rest

I was happy to take these two days off. Dungarvan had fairly floored me. I very much enjoyed hotel dinners and a pint each night.

Wednesday 09/02 - 6 miles @ 7:14 m/m

This was nice. I'm now living 5 minutes outside Midleton town so I drove in, parked up and headed in a random direction. I found a lovely walkway looping around the town so just relaxed and enjoyed the run. This town will do nicely.

Thursday 10/02 - 7 miles @ 6:50 m/m

Again no real plan other than get a few miles in so I just headed out on the same loop as yesterday. I was feeling very bouncy today so put in a few 30-60 sec efforts in the middle to stretch the legs. When I got back to the car at 5 miles, my partner told me she ordered takeaway which wouldn't be ready for another 20 mins. What am I supposed to do for 20 minutes? Alright fine, 2 more miles of exploring.

Friday 11/02 - 7 miles @ 7:21 m/m

Met up with some club mates mid morning who are now reasonably close (including Mr.10 things) and headed for a nice windy loop from Glounthaune to Carrigtwohill - a terrible town. The body is definitely benefiting from the lowered intensity and volume this week.

Saturday 12/02 - Rest

A big day taking a trailer of rubbish to the dump and picking paint colours so I was happy to take another rest before the XC. Also hit the Midleton market in the morning which is going to be a big hit.

Sunday 13/02 - RACE! National Masters XC

A 14 minute drive to nationals, I really timed this house move well! What a luxury being able to leave my house after 1pm for a 2:30pm kick off. Castlelyons was the venue, a town I know well and the home club are known for their excellent organisation. The day was fantastic, a superb buzz around the place despite the rain, the wind and the muck and great to see some old (pun intended) faces at a masters race. We had heard rumours of a fairly sticky course and I had a feeling this would be proper XC so that meant the 12mm spikes would be making an appearance. Unfortunately the 12mm's had to be attached to a pair of lovely white dragonfly's which were sacrificed in the name of health as my old battered XC shoes were on the verge of collapse with holes in both shoes.

I was feeling fairly rubbish on the warmup but at this stage I don't take that as a sign of anything other than things are pretty normal. Still though, when doing a few strides before the race I felt so lethargic and almost weak. I was worrying if I'd eaten enough today. It's so hard to get the fuelling right for an afternoon race. I just had to trust I'd get into the groove it when the gun went. I don't write many XC race reports so I'll just do this by laps. The distance would be 7k which consisted of a 1k loop and then 3 x 2km loops. Because we are so old and useless, we get to run 1km less than the sprightlier intermediates. The course had no major hills of note but some difficult muddy sections and a few drags. There was a bitter wind at play also on a twisty course so it would be wise to choose your moments.

Lap 1 (1km)

It's 2:30 pm, tops are off, singlets are out and 200+ auld fellas are huddled like penguins in a field in Castlelyons. We were all raring to go but of course one lad was at the back, frantically getting changed and lads pleading with the starter to hold on for a few minutes. Some were getting restless telling him to get on with it while others took pity and told the starter to hang on. I just stood there, spaced out. At this stage he had two fellas kneeled down each tying a shoe for him. I can't imagine that was the best mental preparation for a race. I had a look along the line and saw already saw a few names that I knew would be a handful today. Of east Cork there was Michael Harty and Tim O'Donohoe, a clear favourite. Sergiu Ciobanu would no doubt be featuring at the business end and there was also Paul Moloney of Mallow who has a good record on the country. We had a good team but lost one of our stronger runners to the intermediates as they needed a little more firepower. Anyways, the gun went bang and we're off. It was straight into the sticky stuff and I got an awful start. I probably wasn't aggressive enough but maybe that was ok as I actually felt really relaxed but I was way, way too far back going into the first corner, probably in the 50's. I could see a lead group forming up front including clubmate John and Donal and I needed get up there. Once we got to a straight, I pulled out to the side and gradually worked my way up and still feeling in control. As we got to the end of the 1km loop, it was back into the very sticky mud but I had gotten myself up to the front and alongside John.

Lap 2 (2km)

It was onto the first of the three 2km loops and I was getting into my stride. I was happy enough to just sit in behind the 4 or 5 and stay relaxed. The going was particularly soft but there were a few decent patches where you could get some good running in. It was probably in the 3rd km where Tim, who was looking ridiculously comfortable finally made his expected break. Tim is at another level to most in this race and I honestly didn't expect anyone to challenge him given his recent form. His clubmate Harty made the bold move to go with Tim. Was he able to challenge him? Nobody knew, we hadn't seen him race since the Munsters and Cork county masters races, of which he had won both. The rest of us were happy to play the long game and it was down to a group of 6. I've never been in a race where positions changed so much, it was back and forth but we all stuck closely and it was honestly such a great buzz running with these runners. It was good, hard, honest cross country running where you could only but respect the eventual medalists. I had no doubt I was in the runnings and capable of a medal but there was a ways to go just yet.

Lap 3 (2km)

Onto the 2nd lap and i'm really working hard, particularly in the muddy sections where I traditionally have suffered in the past. I was able to hold my own on the good sections and was doing my best to stick to clubmate John who had a great XC season last year and had clearly carried that form over despite a injury setback in December. John was looking relaxed and strong and kept making gaps which I had to close but there were gaps forming between all six of us now. An Omagh Harriers runner, Eoin, who I wasn't familiar with was right in the mix the whole time and was starting to form a gap at the end of this lap. John and Sergiu followed and I tried to follow but daylight was forming. It was during this lap that Harty had come right back to us and was within touching distance. Despite coming back, you could see how gritty he was and defiant to give up the place as he stuck with the lads ahead of me. Tim as expected is nowhere to be seen but the minor medals are wide open and I still had to believe I was in the mix though that belief was starting to fade and it was becoming more about securing the best team position I can. The support on the course was outstanding, I was getting shouts from everyone and it was lovely to see supporters of what would be local rival clubs enthusiastically cheering me on.

Lap 4 (2km)

I was still putting the chase on Sergiu, Eoin and John at this stage but a gap, albeit 2-3 seconds was getting so difficult to close and I had my own problems with Paul Maloney by my side. It was on the first straight of this lap that I first felt a worrying sensation in my left ankle, a sharp stabbing pain that made me feel like my ankle was going to give way. The ground was so cut up and uneven at this stage so it was whenever my foot hit the ground at an angle that I really felt it. I don't think the Dragonfly's were such a good choice for heavy muck. I had also badly bruised my toes on the same foot during the week dropping a heavy shower head on them (don't ask) and that was also hurting so maybe there was some unconscious overcompensating going on. Over and over, I kept feeling it jarring and was really starting to worry. Thoughts raced through my mind of having to stop and explain why I pulled up on the last lap, why I potentially cost the team a medal. I wasn't feeling injured, it was more of the threat of an injury and it really felt like I was on the edge. I tried to adjust myself up on my toes and already felt I was after taking the foot off the gas to try gather myself. I thought Paul was starting to labour but I still felt I had more left in me. Harty was meters ahead of me in 5th with the trio having already passed him. This was a case of either cautiously getting home in 7th (or worse) or blasting through whatever pain I had and coming 5th (or better). As I turned onto a drag, I found something, the pain was subsiding (I think) and on a downhill I made a conscious surge passed Paul and then powered my way up the subsequent drag. I was moving well, the threat was still there and I was laboured but I had Harty in my sights. I was getting closer and finally as we turned onto the last straight, it was about 800m to go. Harty glanced around as I came up on his shoulder. What an exhilarating moment of racing. The roars from the crowd that flanked the straight were chilling, cheering us both on. I managed to get a gap on him and I pushed again. My only goal was to get to the line now. John was right ahead of me in 4th with daylight separating 2nd and 3rd also. The places looked nailed but as we neared the end of the straight, there's still about 300m to go. When we turned, pace was absolutely decimated as we hit the sticky muck. It was incredibly energy sapping and I was aware of the East Cork singlet right on my shoulder. I drove through that section as hard as I could, utterly gassed at this stage. John was 3 seconds ahead of me and when we got to the last 50m with good footing, I put in an effort to nail the place and crossed in 5th. I fell to my knees, then just plain flat on my face. I was empty. I got up and Harty was nowhere to be seen but I'd love to have shook his hand after what was a monumental battle to the line. What a race. I was just 11 seconds off Sergiu in 2nd and 6 seconds off Eoin in 3rd. So very close to a national M35 medal and you'd be almost thinking HOW could you not find 6 seconds but that's too easy to say in hindsight, that's actually a big gap in XC. I honestly gave that my everything and came up a little short but I know it's there now. When I consider I was almost going to pull up with the ankle, I can't be but pleased with 5th.

Donal "10 things" also finished up with a very strong top 10 run and we ended up with 4th, 5th, 10th and 51st scorers which helped us to 3rd place just losing out to East Cork on a countback (70 points) and Rathfarnham (63 points) who took the title with very solid packing between 7th and 21st place. There was a gold county medal in there also which is always nice. I was happy with the race and my effort overall. I'm not the strongest of XC runners but I left it all out there today and got such a buzz from the battles. It really is hard to beat XC in terms of good honest racing where times, pace and shoes don't make a difference. It was a seriously good day for the club with the women winning the masters and the mens intermediate also taking the gold. We had to make sure to get together than evening because it's not all about the hard work, celebratory pints are also essential.

Overall, I'm delighted with that 3 weeks of racing and it bodes well for the year ahead. There's a great buzz and sense of pride in the club right now with a really solid group of lads to train with and we're all hungry for some national successes. So many positives and learnings to take away from each race, so much drama, ups and down, but at the end of the day it makes every step in training worthwhile. For now it's probably time to get the head down for a few weeks and put in another training block and we'll see what comes my way. Unfortunately the next race I had planned in 3 weeks time (The Hague half marathon) has been cancelled but I'm not too disappointed, there are enough races out there for everyone.

Summary: 5th in 22:25 (bronze team, gold county)

Full results

Post edited by jebuz on

• Advertisement
Advertisement