Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run run run run run run run....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Quick catchup on the week, another tiring week working over in Holland (quickly becoming my 2nd home). I have it all ahead of me again next week but it's not such bad timing as I start to taper anyway. Not a great week in terms of running, achilles flared up on Wednesday so I took Thursday off and feeling back to normal today at the farm. I really felt the 10 miler in the legs early in the week, it took a lot out of me so a recovery week was exactly what I needed. All my focus is now on getting to the starting line in 2 weeks in good shape and feeling confident, if that means days off here or there then thats exactly what I'll do. I'm experienced enough now (well, I should be) to know that any days off here or there at this stage have little impact on the end result.

Monday 23/03 - 9 miles @ 7:54 min/mile

Tuesday 24/03 - 5.5 miles @ 8:10 min/mile

Wednesday 25/03 - 10 miles @ 7:44 min/mile

Thursday 26/03 - Rest (achilles injury)

Friday 27/03 - 5 miles @ 7:56 min/mile

Saturday 28/03 - 10 miles @ 7:33 min/mile

I opted to stay away from any sort of session today at the farm and just jogged it out on the grass for 10 miles. The achilles felt ok so taking Thursday off and a very light jog yesterday AM seems to have done the trick. See!! it's not impossible, you can learn sense.

Sunday 29/03 - 15 miles @ 7:10 min/mile

A solid long run today means I salvaged a decent enough weeks running despite a minor achilles setback and overall I'm feeling well recovered now from Mallow. I headed out to the farm planning to get a good chunk of grass running in. Horrible morning for it, was battered with wind and rain for the first 20 minutes and then just wind for the remainder. The wind got crazy at times to the point where I felt I wasn't moving but I just got on with it, the sections with the wind on my back more than made up for it. Overall a very encouraging run, legs felt great, no niggling in the achilles and felt in good nick overall.

Weekly milage: 55 miles

And now, my favourite time of the year...

Taper.png

One week to go! Another week over in Holland last week and the craziest in terms of working hours and stress means I didn't get to do all the running I had planned. Not a big setback by any means but that sort of carry on takes its toll on the body and mind so I'm just glad I have one week here to recuperate in time for the marathon on Sunday.

Monday 30/03 - 5 miles @ 7:35 min/mile
    The 6 am flight from Cork meant todays run would be kept short having had so little sleep. Legs felt good!

Tuesday 31/03 - 10 miles @ 7:34 min/mile
    So windy! Was battered with the most bizarre hailstorm after about 3 miles. It was swift, only about 4/5 minutes but absolutely hammered down, lightning and everything. I cowered, frozen under the shelter of a canopy of a pizzeria and assumed that was the run over but then just like that it was all over and on I went, glad to get this one done.

Wednesday 01/04 - 6 miles @ 7:01 min/mile
    Plan was 10 miles but I didn't get out for this one until after 9:30pm, already knackered so picked up the pace and cut it short. I sneakily ordered room service just before I left as the cut off is 10pm. Had to swoop back to the hotel at 10pm, collect the dinner in my room and then went back to finish the run, worked out perfectly, a man's gotta eat! Good run, felt pretty fresh despite the tiredness.

Thursday 02/04 - 8.6 miles mixed

AM: 4 miles @ 7:56 min/mile
    Partial guilt of not getting the 10 miles in last night but also the anticipation of a very tough day ahead and knowing I'd struggle to get a decent run in the evening. Nice 30 minute jog before breaky.

PM: 4.5 miles @ 7:36 min/mile
    Indeed it was a late one today, got out for this after 10:30pm and 35 minutes was probably enough, probably should have even just knocked this one on the head. Got back to hotel, ate a salad and straight to bed for more fun tomorrow.

Friday - 03/04 - 5 miles @ 8:11 min/mile
    Well I was supposed to fly home this evening so checked out and drove into work planning to leave around 4pm. I knew within an hour of getting to work I'd be going nowhere this evening, nightmare. Anyway at least I got out for this run early before breakfast and had some sort of peace and quiet before the storm. Home at 11:30pm, straight to bed.

Saturday 04/04 - Rest
    Happy 32nd birthday to me! Plan was a 4 x 5 mins session on the farm but I was a long, long way from the farm. In work for 8am and the fun continued right up until 11pm that night. At one stage everything was going very smoothly and we thought we'd be out of there by 7/8pm. I thought I'd then be able to fit in some sort sort of a session but a mini crisis hit which kept us there until after 11pm, topping off what was probably my best birthday ever. Diet today: McDonalds and a kebab, ugh.

Sunday 05/04 - 12 miles @ 7:02 min/mile
    Finally escaped! Up at 5:30am to drive to Amsterdam and catch a 9:20 flight back to Cork. So glad to touch down and couldn't wait to head down to the marina for a run. Got to the car park to find my back rear tyre was punctured ARGH! fixed the tyre and finally made it back home. Geared up, coffee fix and straight to the marina. Beautiful morning and somehow I felt so fresh, legs felt good and it was exactly the run I needed after that week, really settled the doubts that have crept in recently.

Weekly milage: 47

Not the worst return given the week that was in it, I'll take 47 miles and managed to run 6/7 days so I've gotta take the positives.

I've been essentially forced into a 3 week taper since Mallow accounting for a minor achilles setback and then work commitments, what can I do only roll with it. I'm concerned about the lack of sessions and dramatic drop in milage but I've got to trust in the training already done. Concerns are creeping in but I'd be lying if I said that hasn't happened for previous marathons, I think it's expected at this stage. I know I'm in good shape given the recent result at Mallow so I just need to keep reminding myself of the work done. This week I'll be doing a 3 mile MP session on the track Tuesday which will hopefully feel ok and then we wind down to Sunday. Bring it on!

Monday 06/04 - 10 miles @ 7:48 min/mile
    Absolute cracker of a day in Cork and this was a lovely easy morning trot around the city. Had the sister down staying with me so she came for 6 miles, she's only back after recovering from a pelvic stress fracture but I fear the worst for her as she has the same pain back again, so unlucky. Anyway back to me, feeling pretty good overall and keeping the taper madness at bay pretty well.

Tuesday 07/04 - 7.6 miles with 3 miles @ MP
    So the last session before the big day. I don't particularly like this session because it always instills a bit of doubt no matter how you feel. You finish the 3 miles thinking holy crap, 23 more of those??? In fairness, it did feel ok though, it was a hot evening and the sweatband was working pretty hard but overall I'm satisfied that the effort was about where I expected it to be. Splits of 6:04, 6:03 and 6:03. If I somehow managed to continue that trend for the rest of the marathon I'd be a very happy boy, I'd probably get 12 McNuggets instead of 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

jebuz wrote: »
    Monday 06/04 - 10 miles @ 7:48 min/mile
    Absolute cracker of a day in Cork and this was a lovely easy morning trot around the city. Had the sister down staying with me so she came for 6 miles, she's only back after recovering from a pelvic stress fracture but I fear the worst for her as she has the same pain back again, so unlucky.

Ah no :( such a waste of the best athlete in your family :(

Haha I read that recently and even though I don't take those claims seriously, every time I eat McDonalds from now on, it's purely for recovery purposes :D

Thanks NE!
    Ah no :( such a waste of the best athlete in your family :(

HEY!! I heard that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Best of luck C

Wednesday 08/04 - 50 mins @ 7:40 min/mile
    To the GAA pitches after work with clubmate. Feeling well rested, good to be back into my normal routine (and diet!)

Thursday 09/04 - 40 mins @ 7:41 min/mile
    Down to the club for a light job with some of the marathon lads, few strides on the track afterwards.

Friday 10/04 - 35 mins @ 7:50 min/mile
    Last one! Nice handy jog before work, beautiful morning and legs feeling good. Just as I got back to my house, and hearing the news last night that one of our crew got injured in the last week, I realised I'm pretty lucky to be making it to the start line of my 5th marathon, time to make it count.

That's it for now, I'll probably do a very short jog tomorrow back from the expo. Until then it's rest and eat, rest and eat, pace around a little, rest and eat, pace some more, rest, rest, eat, rest, rest...race!

The only slight concern now I have is the length of the taper again but if I look at the bigger picture I've been training for this marathon since early November. Looking back on my log I've got some solid work done with good consistent milage not to mention the gains from the last marathon block. Overall I'm confident and if everything goes my way on Sunday there's no reason I can't be coming back here with a healthy new PB. Once again I'm not going there to run an exact time, I'm going to have to be prepared to adapt to conditions on the day or whatever the race throws at me. The dream time is a sub 2:40 and I really believe it's there for the taking this time. Adios!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

All the very best, you've put in a great block, hope it falls into place for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

All the best, enjoy it and hopefully you'll hit your target. You've put in an excellent cycle

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Best of everything to you Jebuz, looking forward to reading your report!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Best of luck Jebuz.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

In Jebuz we trust - best of luck lad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Best of luck Jebuz!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good luck Jebuz!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

best of luck Jebuz

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Narco0o0o0o

All the best tomorrow Conor!

Thanks for all the good wishes folks but I am absolutely gutted to say (once again) I won't be making the start line today.

Get ready for this. I have developed quite a large cyst right on my tailbone which started paining me badly on the flight over, had no idea what it was at first but I got it diagnosed last night. It's gotten to the point today where its excruciating to do almost anything, worst pain I've ever felt. Yesterday it was extremely painful to sit but walking was ok and I thought I'd maybe get through the marathon with painkillers. But today after 2 nights of almost no sleep, a fruitless visit to the hospital where they opted not to operate on it yet, and then when it took me about half an hour to put on my socks this morning I knew the game was up. I feel drained and far from in optimal shape both mentally and physically for a marathon so I felt I had no option but to call time on it. I think I could do more damage to my body while it's trying to fight an infection and I justt wouldn't do my training justice.

Yes I'm disappointed but what can I do, this is what life throws at you sometimes. There'll be more marathons, the training is banked and while it's a big inconvenience and I've lost a few quid, it's hardly a disaster compared to real problems. Just departed with my clubmates and wished them luck and I'll now be following the race online with the rest of ye. I'm supposed to stay here until Wednesday but trying to get my flight changed to get home and sort this out. Next log entry will hopefully be a run of some sort :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Really really sorry to hear this. Wishing you the very best and a full and speedy recovery. I know you're gutted despite appearing to handle it well. Again, get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Ah nuts. That's such bad luck. You were in great shape and nothing for it but to set the bar even higher for the next one and I'm sure you'll nail it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Opened my mail this morning to see an update to this thread by you which I taught was strange. Gutted for ya after reading it. Hard luck. Have some cheesecake to pick yourself up sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Ah balls...really sorry to hear that.
    Hope you get the problem sorted soon and can tow the marathon line again soon off the back of recent training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Really really sorry to hear that, have been quietly following your log, that positive attitude will get you through the disappointment, hope you get it sorted very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Oh no! So sorry to hear that, such bad timing. Hope it gets taken care of soon. Best wishes for full recovery and for getting back running soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

That's ****ty luck, but the main thing is to get yourself sorted

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Bad luck, what a bizarre way to have to pull out of a marathon! You seem to be taking it very stoically, fair play. Not sure I'd be that understanding :o

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Sucky news man but as you say there will be more marathons. Hope you get it sorted soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Really sorry to read this.
    Was just about to try and check your progress :(
    Get well soon.

Advertisement