Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Run run run run run run run....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ jebuz

Monday 25/04 - 5 miles @ 7:14 m/m

Tuesday 26/04 - 5 miles @ 7:28 m/m

Wednesday 27/04 - 10.5 miles

• AM: 6 miles @ 7:10 m/m
    • PM: 4.5 miles @ 6:57 m/m

Thursday 28/04 - 8 miles @ 7:20 m/m

Friday 29/04 - 8 miles @ 7:04 m/m

Saturday 30/04 - 5.5 miles @ 7:26 m/m

A much needed low volume and low intensity week, not only as a taper but I was doing horticulture work placement on a small farm in Loughrea, similar to what I did 5 weeks ago in Wexford. The difference this time being I wasn't just blasted with Covid so I noticeably had more energy and I have to say I really enjoyed it. The weather was also unreal. I (well, my coach mainly) decided early on in the week that I wouldn't be doing any workouts and that the work for the half marathon was done so the aim was just to relax and enjoy the week and that's exactly what happened. I was staying in a fantastic renovated farmhouse (Airbnb) which was really peaceful and I enjoyed some really nice runs on the rural Galway roads, the sort of roads where everyone and I mean everyone waves at you. You just know you're in Galway with those distinct stone walls and pristine GAA pitches. I was feeling really good on the runs as the week progressed and throwing in strides here and there, a far cry from the last few weeks where easy runs had been a struggle so I arrived back in Cork feeling ready to rock for Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ Laineyfrecks

Well done, that's a great time & great race report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭ Swashbuckler

Brilliant running as always. Nice to see its not just us slower lads that feel those drags and pulls! North circular (miles 9 and 10 for you I think?) is a sneaky part of the route. Oddly very little support, still a long way to go with the thoughts of those two big pulls coming behind the gaelic grounds and then back up towards town. I always find that section of the route very tough. The last mile is exactly what you'd want tho. Perfectly flat.

Well done on the podium. No mean feat for a big city race .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭ Murph_D

Super stuff. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭ AuldManKing

Thats an amazing run - congrats.

As you've progressed over the years - do you get used to the solo races??

When you PB'd in The Hague - had you company then (or people to chase/ chasing you) - I'd say with a deeper field, that 68.22 would be worth a 67 high??

Thanks SB and congrats on a debut sub 3 marathon, a superb achievement on a tough course and great to see the great training pay off. Yes I remember mile 9 being particularly tricky having just come from the buzz of the city centre to almost deafening silence and a hearty headwind. A real testing course but I have to say I really enjoyed the challenge. Last mile, ideal!

Thanks AMK. That's an interesting question on the solo races, I've never even thought about it but that probably means I have gotten used to them. I don't think I'm particularly prone to running solo, I like to race regularly so they're inevitable. I've experienced plenty of races with company and as you say the deeper field and the thrill of running in a pack usually brings out the best in you. In the Hague I did have a steady group, I felt great the whole way and was able to peel away from them at the end which then got really tough. I seem to do well when running solo though, maybe because I fill the void with PB calculations and other stupid random thoughts. I'd like to think that the run in Limerick was a better run than the Hague and probably worth a 67 on a faster course with company. Let's hope I get that performance out of myself later this year but it's one thing talking about it, I need to go and do it!

Yes this appears to be a very boring week of just easy running, and it was, but I think it was also an important week of milage and focus seems to be good. The primary goal was to recover from Limerick but also finding a balance so I could continue to build strength for the Cork marathon and I think I did ok there. The result in Limerick has basically whispered in my ear 'go on, give Cork a crack' and I have to say I'm a little looking forward to that prospect. I've never woken up, rolled out of bed and driven down the road to run a marathon. This has to be one of the most low key and unstructured build ups to a marathon but I am liking it and I don't really feel the same pressure or weight I would if this was a big city (e.g Berlin) marathon. The Monday off this week was absolutely mandatory as I was like a newborn calf getting out of bed and walking was in general a chore. From Tuesday I doubled up most days and ended up getting in a solid 80 mile week and feeling pretty fresh by the end of the week. I'm pleased with that considering I had exams to deal with also. It's kind of hilarious that I thought I could run the Midleton 5 mile on Thursday, I think I almost knew Monday morning that it was not happening so I just went to watch others suffer. Next week is probably going to be really tough in terms of intensity and volume and I'll probably peak in weekly milage there but at the end of the week it's only going to be 3 week until Cork so I'm ready to put in a good shift.

Monday 02/05 - Rest

Tuesday 03/05 - 10 miles

• AM: 5 miles @ 7:35 m/m
    • PM: 5 miles @ 7:08 m/m

Both runs in Walshtown woods 5 mins from my house which I am becoming very very fond of. There are deer but they always run away from me.

Wednesday 04/05 - 13 miles

• AM: 6 miles @ 7:14 m/m
    • PM: 7 miles @ 7:27 m/m

Thursday 05/05 - 10 miles

• AM: 5 miles @ 7:19 m/m
    • PM: 5 miles @ 7:19 m/m

Friday 06/05 - 20 miles @ 6:25 m/m

With plant school exams on the menu in Limerick all this weekend, running would have to take a back seat so I decided to just ensure I got my long run in this week and set off early on Friday morning with a rake of awful podcasts lined up. This was nice, I chose a hilly route and I felt strong throughout (a far cry from Monday morning) and time flew by even though I was a right Tony solo.

Saturday 07/05 - 10 miles @ 7:02 m/m

Post exams head-clear around the Marina with a retro iPod shuffle. Lovely.

Sunday 08/05 - 16 miles

• AM: 5 miles @ 7:15 m/m
    • PM: 11 miles @ 6:47 m/m

Only one exam today and already getting sick of the drive up and down to Limerick. I sneaked in a nice 5 miler in Walshtown woods early morning which really got my brain fired up and then post exam I went for a really enjoyable 11 miles in Moanbaun woods. It kind of looks like I was letting off steam which maybe I was but I actually felt quite good. I think I like running in woods. Very nice finish to the week.

weekly miles: 80

Post edited by jebuz on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ demfad

Nice timing for you for that grass session, which would be nice and forgiving on your calves/body while getting a very good quality session in. Great to run that well at this stage. Good luck with the last few weeks 👍️

I continue to be blown away by your racing . Just incredible to read. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭ Duanington

Great to see you going so well, C. Berlin 2016 seems like an age ago.

You may have answered this already, so apologies - but do you "fall in" to the club's training structure or are you doing your own thing and leaning on the group where you can?

Looking forward to seeing how you get on in Cork, best of luck with it all between now and the finish line

I was actually about to ask a question related to sessions so thanks D for opening the floor..haha.

In those club sessions do you go to the well quite a bit or is it usually fairly controlled and you finish knowing you had more in the tank?

Being a solo trainer its rare I go to the well - most sessions are relatively controlled - more specifically in training for the shorter stuff. I'm rarely feeling flogged. Just wanted to see what your opinion was on that.

All the best for Cork. Hope the weather plays ball. Looking forward to seeing the result on Strava.

Thanks for that.

All the best for the weekend. Run well.

• Advertisement

Very best of luck the weekend! Looking forward to the race report all ready😊

Monday 30/05 - Rest

Tuesday 31/05 - 11 miles

• AM: 4 miles @ 7:15 m/m
    • PM: Track: 15 mins @ MP (~5:30 m/m)

This went grand, I sat in with 2 other lads who are running the half on Sunday and we just ticked off ~82 second laps at 5:30 mile pace. I'm never quite sure what to make of this session because the actual workout contributes pretty much zero fitness gains for Sunday so its only purpose is a 'stretch of the legs' or a psychological boost to hammer home that the planned pace is comfortable. The pace did feel comfortable...I think. My HR was steady just above 150 bpm by the end of it so I know I wasn't working terribly hard but it was a humid evening and it didn't feel that easy but at the same time all I was thinking the whole way through was "is this ok? am I good? is this comfortable enough for 26 miles?. See what I mean! Maybe I'm better off not doing that session but no harm done, I think the low HR was enough validation that I can give in and around 5:30-5:35 a go on Sunday (weather permitting).

Wednesday 01/06 - 5 miles @ 7:12 m/m

Thursday 02/06 - 6 miles @ 7:xx m/m

Friday 03/06 - 6 miles @ 7:xx m/m

Saturday 04/06 - 5 miles @ 7:xx m/m

OK enough logging, time to race. Let's hope I make it past 12k this time. Compeed on both feet? check!

Post edited by jebuz on

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ Unknownability

Excellent read and congratulations on a great run.

You kept us waiting for that report but well worth the wait. Hard to know what else to say really. A perfectly executed marathon. One of those days where it all just fits into place. You're a 2.25 marathoner - a pretty amazing achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭ ReeReeG

Wow, that was some read. What a run, so well raced and the confidence to push yourself at 24 miles, that's incredible. Thanks for sharing, really interesting to read from someone at your level! Congrats on the super PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭ MisterJinx

A smashing read and a smashing race, well done, bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭ Murph_D

Really enjoyed that, many congrats on a great race. I like the relaxed attitude before and during, I think it can make a huge difference - provided you're in shape of course, which you obviously were. You describe the course very well - it's a great marathon, very underrated IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭ AuldManKing

An exceptional performance - wow!

Must feel magic when it all comes together and to know this during the event - tops the lot.

Brilliant performance captured perfectly.

• Advertisement

Brilliant read, well done on a perfectly executed marathon!

Advertisement