Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Denis Villeneuve’s Dune

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,863 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Maybe the sound of a pug barking in the background of one of the songs 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Shang Chi hit $80,000,000 at the domestic box office… way exceeding expectations. Looks like people are willing to go to the cinema, at least for a marvel film anyway. Will they be willing to go to cinema for a movie about sand and worms ? If Dune hits the $80,000,000 mark in its first week we are guaranteed a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So it seems from glancing through the reviews that it is a very arty, stylistic film. So much so, it has surprised critics.

While I’m intrigued and cannot wait to see it personally, not sure if this will “do this business” enough to green light the sequel...

When was the last time anything other then a generic superhero/action movie did huge business at the box office ? The matrix ?

Looking at the list most of the top ones are Avengers, Disney, Star Wars or Harry Potter. There are very few not attached to a franchise high up but there is Avatar and Titanic way up there.

Down in 62nd from 2001 is Lord of the Rings which is the last time I remember what I thought would be a niche nerdy movie smashing the box office. Even the Avengers was a long slow burn before it broke into the mainstream.Even those awful Aquaman and Crocubot movies dragged on for ages.

I honestly think there is already enough momentum behind this to get the sequel. You must not fear, fear is the mind killer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,303 ✭✭✭✭banie01

LOTR is IMO a particularly apt comparison for Dune. I'd long been a fan of LOTR, went to see it with a group of friends and there was som palpable WTF from some of the group as Frodo and Sam slipped off alone at the end of the Fellowship.There may have been a shout of "What a stupid way to end a film"!

The structure of Dune the book, lends a filmmaker pursuing a multi movie adaptation a few clear breaks in the storyline that allow for somewhat natural separation of the books between Paul-MuadDib and Prophet.

Now that particular breakpoint is where I feel the story fleeces well as there's a time jump there too. But I don't really care where Villeneuve has put it. He has at least done it, and I'm happy with just that.

The IGN review and a couple of others take issue with the movie spending far too long worldbuilding for a payoff that doesn't come in this movie. That's the point, that's the whole point IMO. Build the world, characters and mythos and build anticipation and interest in the payoff yet to come in movie 2. It put me immediately in mind of that winters visit to the Cinema in 2001, the hope for a story that could match the scale of Tolkien, and the friends who went expecting a neatly packaged story, with no loose ends, who after their initial disappointment with the 2 boyo's slinking off with a boat and some lembas bread...

Who are now Tolkien nerds, who love the books,the movies, anticipate the Amazon series hugely and even attempted the Silmarillion 😂

Imagine, just imagine if Villeneuve can strike a similar chord with his Dune? It won't be a 100% retelling of the book, it will amend, edit and condense...But! Reintroduce the mythos of Dune and hopefully it's Frank's Dune rather than the son's awful expansion 😉 I for one would be utterly delighted with that outcome, and fully embrace the risk that Villeneuve and the Studio are taking in their effort to catch this kind of audience.

If Villeneuve succeeds and Dune becomes a multi film franchise I can't wait to see what the studios come up with to fit Legolas into Arrakis 😂

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The LOTR movies had a perfect mix of characters who ticked every box. There was fun, humour, heart, perfectly blended with drama, peril and even horror.

My fear with DUNE is that the characters won't generate close to the same empathy, therefore the stakes will be less.

Basically they're f*cked without Hobbits.

Hopefully they dont try to make the Harkonnens funny like Lynch tried

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The world-building may draw some comparison to LOTR but I think anyone expecting LOTR in space will be disappointed. Villeneuve has described it as "Star Wars for adults", which is exactly how Dino Laurentiis pitched the 1984 film. To me that comparison still fits but I'd describe it as SW with the plotting of GOT and the themes of The Godfather.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Game of Thrones in space probably isn't a bad pitch for it.

I really hope it's a success, not because I'm a particular Dune fan (I read it years ago) but because it would be good to see more non-franchise blockbusters aimed at "adult" audiences.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They don't seem that way; in fact they come across quite vicious, but still gross and vulgar.

Is the release date here moved to September? Entertainment.ie have it pegged as September 15th, which would tie in with the announced EU release dates. Yet everywhere else has it as being the 21st October.

I'll be booking a viewing at the Omniplex' local to me and their IMAXX screen, would love to see it next week but I do think that entertainment.ie might be jumping the gun :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It’s out 21st October here, same as the US/UK.

Any idea when the big screens will be taking bookings?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

big ole....

SPOILERS WARNING

.. and such 🙂

Villeneuve and Ferguson talk before and after the first IMAX screening in Toronto

• Registered Users Posts: 17,812 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

hearing great things, ideally to be seen in an IMAX

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Theres a series on the way aswell I somehow missed hearing about this

https://deadline.com/2021/07/dune-the-sisterhood-diane-ademu-john-as-new-showrunner-1234798280/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

it's over on Denis Villeneuves imdb page

along with Dune Part 2. Depending on box office / streaming money and viewers.. maybe more could appear

Official soundtrack is now out. A lot like BR 2049's score, i.e. very atmospheric, presumedly produced alongside the sound design and not very melodic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Oh dear ,what a terrible showrunner they have chosen.

So DUNE has being released in other countries a full month ahead of here, China and the US?

That's a bit mad. I assume the first digital release is the HBO one?

I think all English speaking countries have to wait for the US release

The US RELEASE has to be the because there will be big piracy so they need to get it out internationally first, to maximise revenue.

Post edited by EltonJohn69 on

Yeah, I get that once an English version - and definitely when a digital version - are released, all bets are off in terms of piracy.

Just seems like a big gap between theatre releases.

Not sure why they chose that approach rather than to delay the digital release until after a good global theatre run.

Releasing it internationally first lets it build up word of mouth and get some box office business ahead of it hitting HBO Max and the torrent sites in Oct. Then if it underperforms at the US box office they can blame piracy and the digital release while at the same time pointing to streaming views and torrent downloads as proof that there's an audience for sequels. The film doesn't have to make a profit at the box office, it just needs to get enough views to be considered a potential loss leader and justify further investment in the franchise.

• Advertisement

The fact the first release is a month before the "West" gets it, suggests they have confidence in the film, and aren't relying on a huge opening to save them.

I just wish it would hurry up, although I'm in a race against time to re-read the book before Oct 21. :)

Advertisement