Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joe Rogan downplays the need for a vaccination and gets covid

• 02-09-2021 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

As it says in the title, Joe Rogan has announced he has covid. This isn't news in itself but I think it's worth discussing the fact that Joe has expressed doubt over the need for young people to get the vaccine.

“I’ve said, yeah, I think for the most part it's safe to get vaccinated. I do. I do. But if you're like 21 years old, and you say to me, should I get vaccinated? I'll go no.”

He clearly doesn't understand the science of vaccinations here but in fairness he did backtrack later by saying he thinks "many people should get vaccinated". He has also previously expressed doubt over the severity of covid. He is also being treated with Ivermectin, a drug used to treat parasitic infections but with no proven efficacy in regards to covid. Now I like the interviews Joe Rogan does and he seems like a nice guy. The problem is he suggests things on some shows which are really anti-science then backtracks. I mean if you're a covid sceptic fair enough but at least have the conviction to stand by what you said or think. Views?

Hugely popular US podcast host Joe Rogan has announced he has Covid, months after he caused controversy by suggesting young, healthy people did not need the coronavirus vaccine.

Rogan told his 13.1 million Instagram followers he was recovering but would have to postpone his next show.

His podcast was acquired by Spotify last year for more than $100m (£77m).

In April he faced a backlash over his vaccine comments. He later clarified: "I'm not an anti-vax person."

Anyone over the age of 12 in the US is eligible for a vaccine and nearly 62% of the country has received at least one dose. However, there has been a slowdown in the vaccination rate - particularly in the southern states - which has been blamed in part by a lack of urgency among young people.

The US has recorded nearly 39.4 million cases of Covid-19 and more than 642,000 deaths - the highest figures in the world.

Why is the US falling behind with its vaccinations?

Why Joe Rogan's exclusive Spotify deal matters

Rogan, 54, said on Instagram he had returned from a show in Florida when he began to feel "very weary" and "run down", with a headache.

He said he had quarantined himself from his family and taken a Covid test, which came back positive.

"We immediately threw the kitchen sink at it, all kinds of meds," he said, listing a string of medicines including the deworming drug ivermectin, which health experts say has yet to prove effective against Covid.

Ivermectin to be studied as Covid treatment in UK

He said that, three days on, he felt "great" but he would have to move Friday's show in Nashville to 24 October.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If he did come out of it after three days it would suggest something he was taking sped up the process? Probably the monoclonal antibodies and the steroid.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

To be honest, I'm surprised it has taken Bro Rogan this long to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Everyone is going to get it at some stage vaccinated or not.

In fairness to Rogan he admits he's not a doctor or science guy or even that intelligent and people shouldn't listen to his advice on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

First off, I'd suspect he's been vaccinated. Secondly, he went ahead and promoted a cocktail of unproven drugs that he's taking for treatment which is just as bad, if not worse than muddying the waters around vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Isn't that what he admits after the cockup? when it suits him?

• Advertisement

all joking aside,americans would want to start getting on board with the vaccines,its starting to kill in big enough numbers out there again,and likes of this lad are the ones needed to convince doubters

The smug satisfaction people on reddit/interwebs take in noted anti-vaxxers/covid deniers dying is a horrible quality.....their still people with families,kids etc let behind after em,who just been taken in by a mixture of foolishness,pride and not unreasonable concern

It’s always Americans. Seems to be like they’ve just turned everything political or into a conspiracy theory and are getting ever more lost down that rabbit hole.

There's a significant possibility that the US may just never be able to deal with COVID due to crazy politics rather than resource issues, but it could well end up doing them huge and totally unnecessary damage.

We really need to stop paying so much attention to the US crazy stuff online though. We’re at very very high levels of vaccine uptake here and, other than a few MAGA inspired types on the loonie fringe that seems much louder online than in reality, I don’t see the vaccine as being at all controversial here. It really is just the loonie fringe here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

The uptake in Ireland has been very heartening indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Me too. I'd say the alpha and beta variants took one look at him and said "no thanks".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

As someone mentioned American's seem to turn everything political.

You have people who would rather die than wear a mask because wearing a mask somehow impacts on their freedom. Their warped sense of freedom is tied to being a God fearing American.

• Advertisement

Rogan is a knuckle-dragging moron. Doesn’t surprise me in the slightest he is anti-vaccination. Is he still trying to sell overpriced ‘supplement stacks’ and nootropics to his listeners?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

This is starting to happen here too....thats why they are attacking Joe Rogan for expressing freedom of thought

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ohnohedidnt

What was the cock-up? If somebody is unvaccinated they presumably fully intend on catching the virus, even vaccinated people must realise by now that they're going to get covid.

If anything hasn't Joe Rogan just been proven to be right? He was sick for 1 day, and he's fine now, his Immunity is now far superior than the Immunity provided by any vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Name a very rich famous person like Joe Rogan that's not over 70 that has died of Covid?

Early treatment like Rogan got can save most of the lives that have been lost in people under 70, but would cost too much $

I'm glad he's highlighting early treatment with anti virals, vitamins, antibiotics, antibody treatment, needs to be talked about more.

This sit at home and suffer with only paracetamol and then end up in hospital like the HSE advice is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭Tork

Rogan got access to quite a cocktail of drugs there, didn't he? I assume he has good health insurance and so, doesn't have to worry about the big bills coming his way. That's not going to be the case for many other Americans.

Edit: I took a listen to what he said he took. He says he had Monoclonal antibodies, Ivermectin, antibiotics, prednisone, NAD drip and a vitamin drip for 3 days in a row. People are getting distracted by the Ivermectin but there are some other serious medications on that list. I know, for example, that people with respiratory problems are often prescribed a course of prednisone and antibiotics when they're ill and that they're reasonably heavy-hitting treatments. All of this suggests Rogan fell quite ill despite the bravado.

Post edited by Tork on

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭Tork

@ohnohedidnt You just said "If anything hasn't Joe Rogan just been proven to be right? He was sick for 1 day, and he's fine now, his Immunity is now far superior than the Immunity provided by any vaccine."

I'm confused. If Rogan's immunity is so great, why did he need to be treated with anything? After diagnosis, he "immediately threw the kitchen sink at it." He then went on to take Ivermectin, monoclonal antibodies, Z-pack antibiotics, and a vitamin drip for "three days in a row." I've also seen a reference to prednisone which is an anti-inflammatory often taken by people with asthma and COPD. He also said he had a headache as well as feeling “very weary” and “run down”.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Indeed it is. Annoyingly he revises his opinions depending on the guest sometimes. The thing is he has a massive following and in a pandemic I don't think it's responsible to tell your followers not to take a vaccine if you're under 21 followed by a massive contradiction such as "I believe everyone should take them and they're safe". He should really think about what he is saying and then say it.

Proven right? No, not at all. His claim was that he doesn't think under 21 year olds should get the vaccine. Reducing the amount of people who take a vaccine in a pandemic makes it more likely that the virus will find natural reservoirs (unvaccinated people) and mutate into a more dangerous version. Telling more people to stay as vaccine reservoirs in a pandemic is counter productive to say the least.

Also he says he is fine and you're repeating that as gospel. What long term effects will he have from this? The literature states that there are plenty of long term effects. A plethora of long term effects have been observed with more being discovered every day. From the Tribune.

More than 50 long-term effects of Covid-19 have been detected, with mild to debilitating symptoms lasting for weeks to months after recovery, according to a study.

A study by Houston Methodist found that the most common of these lingering symptoms are fatigue at 58 per cent, followed by headache (44 per cent), attention disorder (27 per cent), hair loss (25 per cent), shortness of breath (24 per cent), loss of taste (23 per cent) and loss of smell (21 per cent).

Other symptoms were related to lung disease, such as cough, chest discomfort, reduced pulmonary diffusing capacity, sleep apnea and pulmonary fibrosis; cardiovascular issues, such as arrhythmias and myocarditis; and unspecific problems, such as tinnitus and night sweats.

The researchers were surprised to also find a prevalence of neurological symptoms, such as dementia, depression, anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorders.

• Advertisement

You're exactly right. Rogan has health insurance out of reach for most people. It's easy for him to suggest that some people not get vaccinated as he has the money to support excellent treatment. Selfish is probably a more accurate way to put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

That's the thing, though. He doesn't think. His brain is mush. It's depressing that millions and millions of people all over the world listen to this meathead moron.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Rogan's just another cultural parasite who's happy to spread disinformation for nothing more than profit. Why anyone would take medical advice from such a man is beyond me.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Riddle101

"all kinds of meds,"

So the vaccine is bad, but taking a sh*t load of meds is good for you? Some people are so stubborn they'll do stupid things just to get out of doing the thing they're against. It's like walking onto a minefield to avoid getting shot at by the enemy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,066 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ironically, Ivermectin is a worming agent for sheep. I never really knew what to make of Rogan until recently but, as usual, my cynicism is entirely justified.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Couldn't happen to a nicer fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Erra give me a break. He's Alex Jones with shoes.

I'm amazed at this way of thinking. Joe Rogan says he would advise 21 year olds to reject the vaccination if offered and he's expressing freedom of thought, doctors, nurses and scientists reply to that comment by saying it's BS and they're not expressing freedom of thought, they're attacking Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

@godzilla1989 Ok. So let's get this straight, because he has the money to do so, he can avail of a cocktail of unproven medicine for this knowing full well if it goes south he has immediate access to some of the best healthcare on the planet.

Some of the drugs being touted as being effective at treating covid are simply not suitable for the task. Yes, they may actually be effective but they also carry many side effects and many of those side effects are quite serious. This is not the way to approach treatment of the general population. Prozac is the latest thing being promoted as being effective as a Covid treatment. It makes absolutely no sense to use it en masse, you'd just have a swathe of issues to contend with on top of treating covid.

@Alberta64 I think it's disingenuous to try and make the point that he didn't actively promote it by saying something like "Take Ivermectin blah blah blah". He promoted it by mentioning it in the mix of drugs and vitamins he claimed he took for the infection and the result is he's feeling great a few days later. That is promotion in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Poor snowflakes think that because the say something they are somehow guaranteed they are right and exempt from crtiticism.

Advertisement