Advertisement
Where is Report Post on mobile? We've made a slight change, see here
Have your say on the future of the 'Save Draft' feature in this poll
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Joe Rogan downplays the need for a vaccination and gets covid

• 02-09-2021 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,394 ✭✭✭✭ steddyeddy

As it says in the title, Joe Rogan has announced he has covid. This isn't news in itself but I think it's worth discussing the fact that Joe has expressed doubt over the need for young people to get the vaccine.

“I’ve said, yeah, I think for the most part it's safe to get vaccinated. I do. I do. But if you're like 21 years old, and you say to me, should I get vaccinated? I'll go no.”

He clearly doesn't understand the science of vaccinations here but in fairness he did backtrack later by saying he thinks "many people should get vaccinated". He has also previously expressed doubt over the severity of covid. He is also being treated with Ivermectin, a drug used to treat parasitic infections but with no proven efficacy in regards to covid. Now I like the interviews Joe Rogan does and he seems like a nice guy. The problem is he suggests things on some shows which are really anti-science then backtracks. I mean if you're a covid sceptic fair enough but at least have the conviction to stand by what you said or think. Views?

Hugely popular US podcast host Joe Rogan has announced he has Covid, months after he caused controversy by suggesting young, healthy people did not need the coronavirus vaccine.

Rogan told his 13.1 million Instagram followers he was recovering but would have to postpone his next show.

His podcast was acquired by Spotify last year for more than $100m (£77m).

In April he faced a backlash over his vaccine comments. He later clarified: "I'm not an anti-vax person."

Anyone over the age of 12 in the US is eligible for a vaccine and nearly 62% of the country has received at least one dose. However, there has been a slowdown in the vaccination rate - particularly in the southern states - which has been blamed in part by a lack of urgency among young people.

The US has recorded nearly 39.4 million cases of Covid-19 and more than 642,000 deaths - the highest figures in the world.

Why is the US falling behind with its vaccinations?

Why Joe Rogan's exclusive Spotify deal matters

Rogan, 54, said on Instagram he had returned from a show in Florida when he began to feel "very weary" and "run down", with a headache.

He said he had quarantined himself from his family and taken a Covid test, which came back positive.

"We immediately threw the kitchen sink at it, all kinds of meds," he said, listing a string of medicines including the deworming drug ivermectin, which health experts say has yet to prove effective against Covid.

Ivermectin to be studied as Covid treatment in UK

He said that, three days on, he felt "great" but he would have to move Friday's show in Nashville to 24 October.

Comments

• If he did come out of it after three days it would suggest something he was taking sped up the process? Probably the monoclonal antibodies and the steroid.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• To be honest, I'm surprised it has taken Bro Rogan this long to get it.

• Isn't that what he admits after the cockup? when it suits him?

• Advertisement

• Me too. I'd say the alpha and beta variants took one look at him and said "no thanks".

• Advertisement

• This is starting to happen here too....thats why they are attacking Joe Rogan for expressing freedom of thought

• Rogan got access to quite a cocktail of drugs there, didn't he? I assume he has good health insurance and so, doesn't have to worry about the big bills coming his way. That's not going to be the case for many other Americans.

Edit: I took a listen to what he said he took. He says he had Monoclonal antibodies, Ivermectin, antibiotics, prednisone, NAD drip and a vitamin drip for 3 days in a row. People are getting distracted by the Ivermectin but there are some other serious medications on that list. I know, for example, that people with respiratory problems are often prescribed a course of prednisone and antibiotics when they're ill and that they're reasonably heavy-hitting treatments. All of this suggests Rogan fell quite ill despite the bravado.

Post edited by Tork on

• Indeed it is. Annoyingly he revises his opinions depending on the guest sometimes. The thing is he has a massive following and in a pandemic I don't think it's responsible to tell your followers not to take a vaccine if you're under 21 followed by a massive contradiction such as "I believe everyone should take them and they're safe". He should really think about what he is saying and then say it.

• Proven right? No, not at all. His claim was that he doesn't think under 21 year olds should get the vaccine. Reducing the amount of people who take a vaccine in a pandemic makes it more likely that the virus will find natural reservoirs (unvaccinated people) and mutate into a more dangerous version. Telling more people to stay as vaccine reservoirs in a pandemic is counter productive to say the least.

Also he says he is fine and you're repeating that as gospel. What long term effects will he have from this? The literature states that there are plenty of long term effects. A plethora of long term effects have been observed with more being discovered every day. From the Tribune.

More than 50 long-term effects of Covid-19 have been detected, with mild to debilitating symptoms lasting for weeks to months after recovery, according to a study.

A study by Houston Methodist found that the most common of these lingering symptoms are fatigue at 58 per cent, followed by headache (44 per cent), attention disorder (27 per cent), hair loss (25 per cent), shortness of breath (24 per cent), loss of taste (23 per cent) and loss of smell (21 per cent).

Other symptoms were related to lung disease, such as cough, chest discomfort, reduced pulmonary diffusing capacity, sleep apnea and pulmonary fibrosis; cardiovascular issues, such as arrhythmias and myocarditis; and unspecific problems, such as tinnitus and night sweats.

The researchers were surprised to also find a prevalence of neurological symptoms, such as dementia, depression, anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorders.

• Advertisement

• That's the thing, though. He doesn't think. His brain is mush. It's depressing that millions and millions of people all over the world listen to this meathead moron.

• Couldn't happen to a nicer fella.

• Advertisement

• Poor snowflakes think that because the say something they are somehow guaranteed they are right and exempt from crtiticism.

Advertisement