Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do teachers get automatic pay rises based of years of service?

Options

Comments

It still means you're too unqualified to be a teacher. Get over yourself or get a level 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Ahhh yes, when you've no more counter arguments to make ... attack the OP.

Did you buy your dictionary from one of those joke shops while you were buying whoopee cushions and itching powder? "Another gripe" doesn't mean "the same gripe". It means "a different gripe to the gripe you already made". You griped (incorrectly) about teacher pensions already, and you were told how things actually were.

Remember folks, this is NOT the level of research and analysis skills that Ireland's pupils need from their teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

I have literally said throughout the thread that I've no intention of being a teacher, I earn more than they do for my given years of service. But you better believe I actually work for that.

Teachers are impossible to fire.

Lazy.

Have over 18 weeks off per year.

Only work 9-15:00 (for those people who will inevitably say "they supervise after school study, do corrections etc.", after school supervision is optional and paid at an extortionate hourly rate, and not all teachers have "corrections". What if you're a PE/SPHE/Religion teacher? Then you're just a glorified babysitter).

A generous pension that they don't have to contribute too.

They can literally hand over a paltry amount (less than €100) to "buy" a year of pension contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Parent and student feedback your having a laugh. You don't like a teacher or poor johnny gets a bad mark well that a low mark

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Would not work. If you put a kid down with x level and they think I am x level and only do x amount same as others in there class. If they are all together they may see how others are working and try to copy them. Also it is unfair to label students in that way.

I will give an example in 1 of my exam years most of the students were only looking to pass so they could go on interships. I can say now years later it did effect how I studies. Signs on thew next year I repeated and got over 100 + points extra in my leaving cert

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

You do sound bitter to be fair, and your ranting does your argument no favours. Take your first point for example, you are not as "qualified" as a teacher (a subjective term I don't agree with) but you earn more than a teacher who has worked the same amount of years.

Even if that teacher works really hard they can't earn as much as you.

They are not impossible to fire - that is just hyperbole on your part. Ditto for the lazy comment. Every profession has useless staff, and yes they should be weeded out.

Holidays...they are what they are and are pretty much the same over the world give or take a few weeks. Unless you begrudge children the time to be children that won't change.

If you think all teachers only work the hours they are in the classroom...again that is your ignorance and prejudice on the topic coming to the fore.

The pension argument can be made for other public sector jobs, and some private sector jobs have excellent pension perks and other benefits as well.

Haven't read the thread, OP, but educators sometimes educate and this is what they are doing here.

The reason teachers have decent pay and conditions, including increments based on hanging around for a long time, isn't just because they have the parents of Ireland over a barrel due to lack of availability of alternative child-minding options, but because of the strength of their unions.

Instead of resenting this ragtaggle bunch of n'er do wells for their luxurious lives, admire them for their ability to maximize their situation and learn the lesson: Unions are important. This is what they are trying to teach you by living an aristocratic existence at your expense.

It matters not that most teachers wouldn't know worker exploitation if it beat itself to death with a rubber hose right in front of them while shouting 'Faster! Faster!', but look and learn.

Hope this clarifies the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What about checking grades achieved by a teacher’s students against statistical averages? If they are consistently lower over a set period, questions should be asked as to why. It is understandable that some class years have better students, some worse, but if the results are consistently lower, the only constant is the teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

"A generous pension that they don't have to contribute to".

You're a liar OP. And given you have already had this explained to you in detail before, where you yourself stated that you had been misled by the "gutter media", one might suggest you are just spinning lies and whinging for attention. Same as you did on the "what do you earn" thread. You have stood out to me on a number of occasions during the last few months as having a weird and bitter anti-teacher chip on your shoulder, and on this website that takes some doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

How does a special needs child provide feedback? Or an EAL child or their non english speaking parent?

Objectives are usually different for each child, who sets objectives and decides when they've reached them. Children learn at different rates.

I always supported teachers in these kind of pay debates, they have a difficult and stressful job to do, but the day they threatened to strike unless they were prioritised for the covid vaccine, ahead of more vulnerable people I lost all respect for them and their megaphone unions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The kind of person who makes this post, might be very smart, work a very good job etc etc, but they wouldn't be able to manage a classroom of 30 children for a day, and all the drama the parents bring

How do you know they wouldn’t be able to manage a classroom given the training they would receive as a teacher? You are making an assumption that only a teacher can be a teacher, and anyone who isn't, is incapable of being one, what are you basing that on?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Maybe with the training they could be then, but it's open for anyone to go ahead and do. none of this is news to anyone.

People take different paths and then bitch that they didn't take the one that in hindsight they deem so easy or unfair compared to their own.

But the kind of post is the lazy teacher bashing, anyone can Do it, 9-2.30, all the holidays nonsense that is woefully misinformed. Im not even a teacher. I know enough good ones though to know that the above is untrue. I know some awful ones too, and do think there should be some way the bad ones should be removed

I really don’t see this thread as being “I wish I had trained to be a teacher” themed, it’s seems to be more about rewards in the form of increased renumeration based only on time served, independent of performance. There are however some posters goading others that they are incapable of being teachers, either due to personality or academic ability, with no basis for that opinion.

Anyone who has sat in a classroom knows that not all teachers have the same ability nor motivation, yet all get rewarded with pay rises. That does not sit well with some people obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

Your posts are incorrect and ill-formed on a number of points.

Teachers are not impossible to fire. There is a very clear protocol in place for this set up by the Teaching Council of Ireland.

Lazy - there are almost 66,000 teachers in Ireland, primary and secondary. Are you making this claim about them all?

The length of the school holidays is determined by the Dept of Education, not teachers.

If you are going to refer to teachers as ‘glorified babysitters’, it shows that your mindset is unlikely to be changed by facts. However, very very few teachers work 9-3pm. I don’t know any teacher who works those hours and I have worked at both primary and secondary level.

There are four separate pension deductions on my payslip adding up to approx 20% of my gross monthly pay.

Buying back a year of pension contribution costs in excess of €10,000.

Aren’t the TUI a Union rather than the employer of school teachers? How many school teachers have the TUI fired for poor performance?

There is no doubt the teachers unions have considerable clout, which they would no doubt bring to bear if any attempt was made to increase the duration of the academic year. So it is a bit facetious to say the Dept of Education has sole discretion.

The TUI - Teachers’ Union of Ireland - are one of the secondary teachers’ unions. The ASTI is the other one for secondary. Why there are two is a mystery to most people.

The INTO is the primary teachers’ union.

The Teaching Council of Ireland is a government body.

Role of the Teaching Council

The Teaching Council is the professional standards body for the teaching profession, which promotes and regulates professional standards in teaching. It acts in the interests of the public good while upholding and enhancing standards in the teaching profession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭phildenny

I usually don't engage with such BS as some people are so blinded by hatred for teachers that there is no point. However, much of this post is just lies. E. G. Secondary schools end at 4. Pension contributions are high and compulsory. For anyone on the last 2 pension schemes (over last 20 years or so) the pension is not good as already explained. The "buy back a year's pension for €100" is so out of touch with reality and false, it's laughable. If the OP can direct me to how this can be done, I'll gladly inform the many (mostly female) teachers who took years out to raise families and now can't afford the thousands of euros for each year they want to buy back for pension purposes.

I have two questions then.

How many teachers have the TUI recommended be removed from the classroom due to poor performance?

If a teacher was fired by a school/Dept of Education due to poor performance, would the member benefit from the support of their union, say the TUI, in any appeal?

Your first question is moot. A union acts on behalf of its members, it doesn’t seek to fire them. Why would anyone join a union that did that?

This also answers your second question. Obviously a union member who is being fired would seek support from their union. If they are being fired for good reason, then the union have nothing to offer them. If it’s unfair dismissal, then the support is warranted.

Which is what I thought, so I’m struggling to see why you posted about the TUI’s clear protocol for firing teachers, does this include a protocol for firing the useless variety, or is it just when they misbehave and bring the profession into disrepute? This thread is not about misbehaving teachers, it is about pay rises based on service rather than performance.

It’s not the TUI’s protocol - they are the union.

It’s the Teaching Council’s protocol. They are a government body. Totally different organisation. I outlined their role in a previous post.

A previous poster stated that teachers are ‘impossible to fire’. They are not. Hence my reply.

Do the Teaching Council of Ireland have a protocol for removing poorly performing teachers? I appreciate this is going off on a tangent from the thread, but a parallel was drawn between performance/reward in the private sector and that of teachers, teachers seem to live a gilded existence independent of performance reviews and consequence for poor performance, instead being rewarded just because of term of service.

Yes.

From their website:

Role of the Teaching Council

The Teaching Council is the professional standards body for the teaching profession, which promotes and regulates professional standards in teaching. It acts in the interests of the public good while upholding and enhancing standards in the teaching profession.

That can hardly be considered a protocol for firing teachers, it is more a mission statement.

It is a description of their role, which states that they are the body responsible for upholding standards in teaching. This includes dealing with complaints regarding underperforming teachers. Have a look at their website for further info.

• Advertisement

A mission statement is not to be confused with a “very clear protocol” set up for firing teachers, it merely outlines the aims and values of the organisation. A protocol would outline the steps which must be followed to fire a teacher, considering we are talking about performance related removal, is that outlined on their website?

Advertisement