Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed New suckler Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Again with the "dairy industry " stuff .Is it a religious thing or what that people seem to have an objection to "dairy" beef ?

Beef is beef no matter where it comes from .

And your thing about the division in Irish farming ;that's a real "everybody's out of step with my Johnny " type statement .Its the suckler cow man having a tantrum that's gonna cause that .

Another who will stay at sucklers until they are losing money .Would 100 a cow sub. keep you at them if they were only breaking even ?

If 20 cows can pay all the household bills ,pay for two cars and the holidays etc then what the fcuk are all the rest at ?

Thats what ? 40/50k a year so a net margin of 2k per cow .If I knew sucklers could give that return then I would keep a few in the morning .

To a dairy farmer the calf is not the be all and end all of it .The milk production is what its about .Would a calf worth a bit extra be worthwhile to him if it meant milk production was lessened ?

Yes ,I agree subs are subs no matter what they are dressed up as market support ,investment on farm ,environmental schemes etc etc .What we are then arguing about is the means to collect that sub .So if it was decided tomorrow morning that jersey cross calves would get all the subsidy payment would people be happy to keep them ?

Betcha people would be out complaining about getting rid of their lovely cows with generations of breeding behind them and having to look at shivery little coloured rags in the field .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I do three types of farming, I have suckler cows, I rear dairy calf to beef & I buy stores for beef. I sell between the Mart & the factory. Of the three the suckler is consistently the best preforming & takes up less of my time than the rearing dairy calves. My cows are average cows that have been bred on the farm for years, they are easy managed, quite & know when they see me opening gates that they are been moved & generally move along freely. From May until October, I walk thru them twice a day to ensure all is ok and that's about the height of the work. The next best paying is buying stores, but you need to be able to spend time around the ring for that, as there is skill in picking cattle that will go on for u. Never by group as there is always a dodge in there somewhere, you also need to keep an eye on movements & ages, loosing 20 -30 cent / kg on an animal can be the difference between profit & loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

That's the point I am making paddy regarding the calves. The dairy men want the best outcome for themselves, dont we all,and expecting them to start producing better beef calves for the beef man is a unlikely occurrence if it impact there bottom line regarding milk outputs. So the talk from bass of the diary calf improving in recent times is a false narrative.

On the subs side of it I said i agree, disagree or even mention additional suckler subsidies. I was addressing the fact all sectors of farming are subsidised to a certain degree including dairy calf to beef.

If the Jersey calf was subsidised there would be men to farm them too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

This is it, the BETTER calf to beef farms were only set up in the last couple of years. There was absolutely no research done in the 2010-2016 period when Teagasc and Jack Kennedy were pushing the Greenfield model and the JE cross breds. There was multiple research done on rearing dairy heifers and huge attempt to try to encourage beef farmers to go rearing dairy heifers for these better dairy farmers. However the spending was miniscule compared to the spending on Suckler research.

There has being absolutely no research done on dairy calf to beef until 2-3 years ago except for U16 month FR bulls. I actually had a discussion with a Teagasc advisor involved they were showing a margin of 10-150/ unit. I made the point that such a system was unsustainable, his point was you needed numbers. I made the point that 200 would leave you 25k.......for that you had to rear 200 calves and feed 200 bulls at the same time. After thinking about it for over a minute he just walked away. You need to be working at it full-time from Jan-May.

All the research at present Is for finishing as many as possible off grass during the second season.....what a about all year around beef supply. Instead we seemed to be looking for an answer in the lowest priced time of year for beef. There is more research done on meal feeding to cattle( mainly Suckler bred) than on dairy X cattle production. It's hard to believe 65-70% of our total beef production is from the dairy herd.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Dunedin

apologies, just to clarify that the household bills I was referring to were house insurance, electricity, broadband, Car (2) and jeep insurance, car and jeep tax, jeep DOE and circa 5k on holidays. There'd be other bits and bobs but that would be main parts. all in circa 10-15k. 60 acre farm, average 10 hours a week over the year. Being honest, I do enjoy the sucklers. have a decent set up so work is at a minimal and farm is all in one block which eliminates a lot of work that others might have with a fragmented farm. but I do invest a bit into the farm each year on facilities or anything I think will make life easier for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Are you saying that excluding sfp you are taking €12.5k a year nett from 20 suckler cows? Or including sfp?

Including SFP. If I wasn’t farming I wouldn’t be getting a SFP. My neighbour owns a shoe shop and he doesn’t get it.

Ah sweet divine Jesus you could keep a few pet cows and pick the blackberries off the ditches and claim to be making making the same.

unless I’m misunderstanding? If you are pocketing the full sfp and a touch with it the cows are carrying themselves and keeping the farm from going to birds then that makes some kind of sense.

• Advertisement

😂😂😂 cows are most definitely paying for themselves. And I’ll keep them until such time as they’re not. 😉😉

They should look at sequestration measures as part of any scheme.

Doesnt take many trees to cover the carbon of a diesel car for a year.

Why dont they look at retrofitting cars to run on gas and look in to biogas generation from agri? Could it be the fact that fuel is about 90 cent tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

One point that people miss is that the Government does not have to provide a Suckler scheme. This could happen in the future as there is a lot of pressure coming from the climate change lobby groups now all over the world. And with all these new data centers being built they are going to have to reduce the carbon footprint somehow, and sur who's the easy soft target for them only the suckling farmer.Farmers already get a sfp which is decoupled from production. If the Government want to reduce the Suckler cow numbers in Ireland all they have to do is get rid of this scheme, and as an added bonus half of the farmers would end up planting the land if the throw a few quid extra in for them.

The mad thing about it would be the poor oul suckler farmer would then be money in, the biggest losers would be Larry, the marts and Co-ops.

Also the farmers journal as nobody would be buying that rag anymore!!

What you are saying makes common sense, but common sense is not that common. With a movement of BPS from the east of the country west there is a case for no further increase in Suckler cow funding. Most farmers along the west coast have seen an increase in there BPS over the last 5years and will again see an increase over the next few years. If a farmer wants to subsidize the Suckler cow and processor's out of his BPS so be it.

I was down in Kerry a couple of weeks ago and there is an increased interest in sheep with the stronger sheep price. A lad able to wean 0.8-0.9 lambs per ewe is making a few bob. You would keep 8-10 mountain ewes where you keep a large Suckler cow. There would be less work. Store lambs are making over 2/kg. On 100ewes that is probably 6k plus in sales.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

It’d not go to trees, the better will be leased to Dairy farmers or you’d see more dairy heifer rearing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

When you getting your flock number?

Sheep farming isn’t easy, like all other farming in a good setup it can be ran alongside a full time job

Why would anyone want to bring that kind of misery into their lives!! And now that we have the processors where we want them we need no more ewes in the country thanks Bass!

we have a fodder crisis every 4?years in this country now on average. We are importing record levels of feed and fertilizer. There is no fear of anything but the most marginal of land not being utilised if there wasn’t another headage payment on suckler cows.

The exodus is the better land areas with intensive bigger herds from what I can see. The part time extensive guys seem happy enough here? And land in these better land areas is being ate without salt such is the demand from the milk and tillage boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

other sectors may well rue the demise of the suckler cow.

farming remains a political force in this country largely due to the large number of small beef farmers. 10 suckler Farmers with 10 cows each are worth more votes than 1 dairy farmer with 100

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭josephsoap

I often ‘tune’ into Elphin mart on a Monday evening - what I cannot understand is the price of in-calf sucklers heifers there - you rearly see one going for less than €2000.

€2000 to €2500 seems to be a standard price.

just thinking now - I would be better selling in calf heifers instead of running sucklers 😁

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Elphin caters mostly to lads farming better quality land (by West of Ireland standards) and is renowned for getting entries of top quality continental cattle. Therefore you wouldn't have much business showing middling type springers about it. There's lots of lads there to buy the tops of springers all year round, think of Martin O'Connors, Doorleys and more that have annual sales that achieve headline price's.

That's not say that there's no good incalfs in any other mart around and indeed I often saw better value elsewhere for comparable stock. However you'd see a greater variety as regards quality in a few of the neighbouring marts. Take Castlerea for example there'd be a more mixed bag of springers about it and you're still in Co. Roscommon.

As for producing springers it's not a simple task either imo. You'll have to buy the heifers to start with, anything nice and ready to bull straight away will be strong money all year round. If you want something flashy that will sell well again then you'll pay for them but lesser type heifers are harder sold and won't make the headlines when the time comes. Then you've to get them incalf (there'll be an odd expensive beef heifer no matter what you do) and carry to near calving. You'll have to hope that Tb doesn't become an issue or you'll be back at the suckling regardless of your wishes. Finally you'll have to get new homes for them and hope that they do the business to gain repeat custom. It will take a few years to get a name at the springer trade and as with everything you could sell 100 good ones and hear nothing but sell 1 bad one and watch what happens.

It's not something I'd bother with tbh, between genomic ratings, stars, calving dates, calf sex, in vogue colours ect I don't know how lad's do it. There was a man locally who used to sell lots of springers year's back. He'd buy a nice heifer of any colour and put them with whatever mongrel of a bull he had at the time. When they'd start springing they'd land back into the mart again and announced as "Running with the half halfbred LM bull, time and appearance". No guarantee of times, no scanning or talk of stars etc and lad's would buy away at them

• Advertisement

I see the Rag is trying to create panic again about Suckler farmers. Basically they are highlighting that full time intensive larger suckler's farmers will see there BPS payment fall. No mention that extensive, smaller part-time lads will see there's rise and similar with extensive sheep farmers. Once again they are taking the example of the 1-2 per parish as opposed to the majority.

It an article by some Tool of a journalist so we should not be tool surprised. Selective analysis of a situation. The Rag must have some research done that only intensive Suckler farmers buy the rag

Slava Ukrainii

A “journalist” is too complimentary for this moron. Cormac Healy must laugh every Thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

God bass if it wasn't for yourself and Jameson running down suckler cows and supporters this thread would have died long ago

So where are the outraged farmers that the ifj keeps ranting about?!

If you figure sheep are less work than sucklers, get a few. I could save you the experience by saying don't get them though. They're a ton of labour and meeting the neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I noticed that Grassroot, they seem to have a dislike for suckler farmers and don't seem to understand that every farm isn't suitable for rearing the dairy industrys cast aways. I was over west for a few days & only suckler cows could turn anything out of this type of land

I had sheep from when I was 12 years old. Absolutely loved them and constant battle with the father to see could keep more ewes.

got out in 2008 and if I got 100 ewes for nothing now, I firstly shoot the lad that gave them to me (in case he brought more) and similar faith to the ewes then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

''in a good set up'' is the important thing.

Even buying some sheep gates is a start but once sheep go through a handling unit a few times they're no problem. They seem to look forward to getting back to the fields and fly through.

Doing a bit of proper fencing every year is a good idea too...... after 50 yrs I had my whole farm done 😂

Just edited to say I accept that lowland sheep farming is a whole lot easier than hill farming

Are those miniature cows pictured or what? 😁

I am indeed an man who was reared with firstly tied up, multiple suckled cows followed by straw bedded single suck cows and yes I would rather have my tonsils pulled than ever return to them.

I have no adversity to anyone doing whatever they blooming well like on their land. And extensive suckling for environmental grazing in certain areas have a part to play perhaps.

But direct headage payments have been proven not to stay where they belong. With the farmer.

The mii have made several submissions in tandem to the ifa looking for exactly the same thing. And that for me says it all.

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/committee/dail/32/joint_committee_on_agriculture_food_and_the_marine/submissions/2019/2019-06-25_submission-meat-industry-ireland-mii_en.pdf

• Advertisement

I've a good neighbour who sold out his small angus herd, nice well adapted stock they were too. We were chatting one day and he very solemnly stood up straight and announced if someone came in the morning and told him he couldn't keep sheep ever again he didn't know how he'd go on. I said to send the same man to me and I'd ask where had he been 😀

Advertisement