Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

McCloskey was the one who told Schmidt that he wasn't going into camp to hold tackle bags and instead went to follow NI in the Euros, thus ensuring there was no way he'd ever be picked again, and then of course he was picked again and it turned out he had never said anything of the sort and it was just poorly informed, hysterical supposition on the part of posters on an internet forum, frothing about imaginary exchanges they'd dreamt up between players and coaches.

We've come so far since then, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭TRC10

This guy switched to league after school but is Irish qualified through his grandfather.

I just watched some clips of him playing league in Australia and my god he's an absolute monster. 6'7 and 130kgs.

If someone in the IRFU isn't trying to do a Ben Te'o and get him up here, they should be. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Eye opening article into how messed up SO'B was after Lions tour in NZ

Btw This new boards is appalling

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Some big seasons coming up for some Irish internationals. I expect Baird to be the incumbent 4 at Leinster now (if he wasn't already) that Fardy is gone. For me he is the perfect hybrid 4/6 type player for international rugby, but that spot seems to be with Beirne. Will Baird nail down the 19 jersey or push for more starts? It will be interesting to see how Coombes fits in. He seems like someone who will excel on the International stage, even more so than for his club, in a similar vein to POM and Stander who have been quite anonymous for Munster recently but always seem to step up for Ireland, I'd like to see him tested in the Autumn.

Dilemma for Farrell in the centre, Ringrose or Aki? I'm not quite sure how good Carbery is anymore, does H.Byrne deserve more of a shot?

Team for Japan and possibly New Zealand:

1. Healy
    2. Kelleher
    3. Furlong
    4. Henderson
    5. Ryan
    6. Beirne
    7. VDF
    8. Coombes
    9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Balacoune
    12. Aki
    13. Henshaw
    14. Earls
    15. Keenan

Herring, Kilcoyne, Porter, Baird, Conan, Gibson-Park, H.Byrne, Larmour

I don't think Coombes will start over Conan and Dorris, also Balacoune over Stockdale/Larmour, especially for the NZ game, but this is my personal preference for testing these young lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

If Frawley is for, I'd like to see him played at 12. Think he could be excellent there. Also want to see Hume given a shot at 13, maybe outside of Henshaw

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

It really depends on how much Frawley plays at 12 for Leinster before the Autumn, I can't imagine too much in important games if both RingShaw are fit. I don't see too much experimentation for the Autumn, maybe for the USA game.

I'm of the (possibly unpopular) opinion that Sexton, Earls and Healy shouldn't be playing at all in November.

They won't be at the world cup and these are uncompetitive matches. Sure we might have a better chance of beating NZ, but that means nothing if they embarrass us at the RWC again?

Carbery and H.Byrne will be the 10s at the World Cup. They need the minutes more than Sexton. The 6N is different as there's a trophy on the line. If Sexton's the best I've no issue him playing in that.

You wouldn't see any other tier 1 nation playing a 36 year old out half in uncompetitive games 2 years out from a RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

When is Jackson's contract up at LI? The irfu should prioritise getting him back before the WC. Carberry isn't good enough and HB won't be ready imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It won't and it shouldn't. How it's still a thing with people I have no idea. Regardless of the sexual assault element, he was part of a group of guys who had their fun with a girl before leaving her crying and bleeding on the bed. That's a fact that wasn't disputed. I've no idea why anyone would want someone like that representing their country. I sure as hell don't. But then maybe some people are happy to tolerate a certain level of repugnant behaviour to facilitate their entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Lads, he's not coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Don't think we need to rehash the arguments. There is zero chance of him coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭PMC83

I'd be of the same opinion tbh. Are you writing Ross off altogether though?

Ross writes himself off by never taking the ball to the line.

He has all the ability and the temperament

I think he has the ability to do this though. People bang on and on about Harry but hes never been absolutely amazing IMHO. He's had a few good outings in the PRO14 but thats pretty much it. Its hard to see him getyting a proper craic even in Europe with JS and his Ross are both fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Not wanting to debate all this again but I wouldn't share your views. The man had his day(s) in court. They believed that he had done nothing criminally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

stop this now, HB is going to becomes ireland's next 10 for the next two or three decades, fix the health service and unite all world religions.........

absolute sense spoken i have to say. hes a good player in fairness and he has great potential, but the talk of him being the second coming is a bit early tbh. if he ousts his brother or JS then maybe he should be in the conversation, but all the hype is a bit much when its about a player who is currently 3rd choice (at best) at leinster

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He has the temperament but not the ability. He has clearly tried to take the ball to the line more in his play but he is simply too slow.

• Advertisement

He has the ability, as I said. But he's never done it in green, and he's had a fair few chances.

Harry will overtake Ross next season. He's a better rugby player. He just needs to stay injury free.

Calm down lad.

Nobody is saying any of this.

Maybe he was 3rd choice last season, but he picked up a lot of niggles. I'm telling you now, he's a better player than Ross and injury permitting, will see plenty of game time in Europe next season.

He should 100% be in the conversation.

It will be interesting to see if that happens. People said the same about Joey, yet he was the one who ended up packing his bags. I think Leo likes Ross as his second pick, hes a player in the sexton mold, clever around the park, good decisions but not fancy a runner.

As a Leinster fan I obviously want Harry to be the second coming, but for me hes a little over hyped. Hopefully he quiets me down over the coming season.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

He arrived with a great splash and he certainly looked like he would be the next big thing. But his injury profile means he hasn't been able to develop into the next big thing yet. He might be able to develop this year, but he hasn't done it yet. And Frawley has arrived in the meantime and has had similar terrible luck with injury. I'm just happy to wait and see how he develops rather than presume he's going to be brilliant. Sexton will only be available occasionally from now on so he will probably have plenty of opportunities if he stays fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

By and large agree with you with the exception of Healy.

I think there is a very real possibility he plays at the next world cup if we wants it.

I know people are lamenting he's not the force of old etc etc regarding his carrying. But the fact remains he's the best scrummaging loosehead in Ireland and at present it's not close to second place.

World Rugby is littered with examples of props playing to a high standard well into their 30s.

Yes Healy will turn 36 during the next world cup. But I don't have many doubts that he's up to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ross Byrne is not in the "Sexton mould" - he might have the athleticism of a 36 year old Sexton but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

im fine for 'calming down' to be honest, my post was a bit of a joke, take it or leave it.

lots of people are talking him up as the answer to all of irelands problems, suggesting ross gets passed over completely (along with billy burns) and harry is installed as the next long term FH.

he may well be a better player than ross, id be delighted if he is because ross is a fantastic player himself. if he does get more exposure in europe and does well, then of course he should be an option

for the moment, id suggest we all 'calm down' about him until then

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Jesus. For starters, if your bar is not being a criminal its a pretty low bar. But being found not guilty isn't staying a belief no criminal activity happened. Its saying they can't prove beyond doubt that it did. Much and all as many people don't want to acknowledge that there is a very important distinction, there is a very important distinction.

We'll have to disagree there so. Sure Ross doesn't take it to the line like Sexton does, but in terms of kicking and finding space I think theres some similarities there. Sexton was hardly known for his wheels evenm in his prime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Reminds me of an exchange in Unforgiven after Gene Hackman beats up Clint Eastwood.

Strawberry Alice: You just kicked the **** out of an innocent man.

Little Bill Daggett: Innocent? Innocent of what?

Advertisement