Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The news that a charge to enter the EU is angering some in the UK and as usual the media are using it to spin it in a way that suits themselves. I found the level of ignorance in this video clip quite frustrating to watch...

• Registered Users Posts: 66,886 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is that guy normally associated with sensationalising? Because that sounds a horrific scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,001 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Incredibly, this is barely even being reported by their media. There are already warning signs there with numerous anecdotal reports of supermarket shelves in England having empty spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I found that hysterical tbh.nothing frustrating about it from my pov. If I were a remain voting Brit I'd be looking to b*tch slap that silly old c*w.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I literally experienced this last week in London and despite being pretty au fait with Brexit and its effects I didn't put 2 & 2 together until a few hours later.

Waitrose had what I wanted so it didn't irk me, so I can imagine until it starts to hit items that are taken for granted, then it will stay unreported for a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There is a shortage of HGV drivers in the UK for several reasons - one being the Eastern European drivers being excluded from the UK. The UK Gov have announced a quick qualification for HGV drivers, but that will not be instant - if ever. Also, many EU freight operators are avoiding the UK.

Pressure is building and will soon lead to a breakdown in the freight system, which will result in produce not getting to supermarkets. That would appear to be self-evident.

Apparently, supply chains are already running into huge problems. Deliveries to supermarkets arriving several days late or not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,810 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

F*** 'em.

"A little revolution now and then is a good thing." - Jefferson.

If it takes the failure of Brexit to bring about the end of Brexit and hardline, right wing, agenda driven Euroscepticism in the UK forever, so be it. Ordinary Brits just have to want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

No, I think that is desperation borne from frustration.

He can see the iceberg, he’s called the bridge about it, but the bridge ain’t listening nor turning, it’s still full steam ahead.

The British government reportedly doesn’t want to know about the problem, for love or money.

Supermarkets are reportedly gagging their staff, whilst using ‘sorry there is just such demand for these goods right now’ cards on shelves (-which some have even taken to dismantle outright for reducing total shelving capacity in store, by some credible accounts), as ever more goods become ever more+longer absent from stores.

But that isn’t a problem solvable by PR, no matter how big or how dead the cat is.

It will be hard for the Tory press to spin their way out of this one. No such food shortages in any EU state.

• Advertisement

There’s a lot of bad stuff I’ve wished on Brexitards, and still too many of those whom I wouldn’t pee on if they were on fire…

…but I can’t abide the thought of the 48+% put through food riots and all sorts of other societal breakdown nasties. Not even the Brexit-voting mother-in-law and ‘friends’.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well the good news for you is that there is never going to be any food riots; there will be a significant cost increase however. Here's the thing; food IS available right there in the EU but currently it's not being sent over due to cost. However throw enough cash at the trucking companies in EU and the food will arrive to the stores (while UK government simply waves through the trucks at the border control) but as noted at a premium. And those trucks in the UK will be focused on doing delivery from warehouse to store rather than local farm pick ups which means UK will be importing food they could produce themselves.

This ties back with the original problem as well; this is not something new happening in the UK. The simple fact is great majority of truck drivers are low paid and if you don't pay people don't want to do a long hard job like that. Hence they will need to raise the local salaries, they will need to throw money at EU truck drivers to drive food stuff in that they could already produce which will drive up the cost of food items accordingly. Then to counter this the government will lower the food standards (though I'm sure their wording will be along the lines of more flexible requirements or bravely taking UK to the forefront of food quality or something similar, and of course allow repackage of the meat in UK allow them to use a "UK made" or similar to ensure people can't spot it). It will be presented as a Brexit dividend and part of a "plan to put cheaper food on people's table" and people will cheer them on for doing so and getting hormone beef and chlorinated chicken. A lot of it without even being aware of what's going on as it will be used in pre-made meals, schools, restaurants at lower end etc. Of course the people who can put 1 + 1 together will realize that but even among them there will be people who intentionally ignore that to save a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,810 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Maybe it'll take that to make them angry enough.

And also, for that matter, to wake the inexplicably silent Labour Party. Keir Starmer has been an absolute let down, a vacuum of leadership.

He seems to have mistaken backing the Tory COVID strategy in time of national peril, for an instruction to shut up about everything, forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

@ambro25 wrote:

"Supermarkets are reportedly gagging their staff, whilst using ‘sorry there is just such demand for these goods right now’ cards on shelves (-which some have even taken to dismantle outright for reducing total shelving capacity in store, by some credible accounts), as ever more goods become ever more+longer absent from stores."

I've had issues over the last several weeks getting certain products and [some of] the local Tesco staff have been up front in saying the deliveries just are not coming in when they're meant to be, making it all a bit unreliable to state the obvious; with the reading being that it's down to a lack of available drivers. I've noticed some of the shelves at the back that would typically be 'special runs' laying more empty too but it's hard to say if that's the supermarket pulling the purse strings closed on special seasonal stuff, brexit, or covid; possibly all three on account of the purse getting squeezed by brexit and covid.

At this point, I am not sure what will have to transpire to grab the collective conscious of the UK population and proverbially slam its head against the brick wall until it wakes up to the malfeasant democidal cowboys ru(i)nning the nation. Someone can stand up in Parliament and absolutely destroy the Tories over a food supply chain collapse, maybe some people may even get hospitalised (and/or die) for want of food in a supposedly first world nation as a direct result of this; and instead we'll get some banal sh1te about what colour the Johnsons have painted their bedroom this week splashed across the media. It's not like we haven't been here before with staggering numbers of Covid deaths, and instead we get pictures of Johnson clapping for the NHS as if that'll make it all better.

I'm seeing that line taken by Owen Jones quite a lot from people, including friends of mine, who are all EXTREMELY careful to avoid being labelled an ardent 'remainer' but will say 'on balance I voted remain, but the EU is all a bit imperfect, unpalatable and in dire need of reform and.. blah blah.'

Just watch how carefully he reiterated how he respected the result of the referendum, people had good reasons for voting leave and so on.

It's like there's a terror of saying that you're in favour of EU membership anymore, even amongst polite society in England.

That's also a very clear illustration of where the Labour Party sits on this and is why Labour hasn't and won't come along to save the day and push for a remain or even a rejoin vote.

I remember working there in the 00s (before Brexit was even word) and one of the things that used to quite surprise me was how vitriolic some of the anti-EU or anti-Euro currency commentary was. There was a certain element that would just begin foaming at the mouth when they mentioned the word. It's fed by the tabloids, but it's also just a bubble that feeds itself and has been doing so for decades.

For many of the people I encountered it wasn't a discussion of economics or practicalities, they simply hated Europe and there was no real discussion of why or anything else. It was just a visceral dislike of the concept of being part of something that they felt they didn't have absolute control over. I think it's very much an inability to get beyond their empire era. The concept finding compromise, consensus, corporative points and so on just wasn't in their worldview at all and there is absolutely a sense of exceptionalism and superiority that stems from that too.

I'm not saying it's everyone in England, and I think that's unfair. It's a particular tranche of society that is associated with the right wing of the Tories, UKIP and other elements that all exist in that area. They send it up themselves quite often in comedy. I mean, characters like Alf Garnett didn't come from nowhere. However, it's there and I think it's all too easy gloss over it. Right wing tabloid newspapers don't buy and read themselves - there's an audience. Which came first, the chicken or the egg... that's another debate!

I think sometimes in Ireland we have rather distorted view of England because how we interact with it. We've relatively little modern contact with 'middle England' or non-urban northern England, rather most of our contact tends to be with London and some of the other bigger cities, as those are the kinds of places that people might have spent time living/working or perhaps emigrated to for a time and they are also they're the places we visit.

How many of us regularly spend time in northern English towns? There might have been more contact with those in the 1950s when they were industrial boom towns, but not today.

Then the other distortion is that we view England and British politics almost exclusively through the medium of television, because British terrestrial television and channels like Sky News are carried commercially on cable, IPTV and satellite platforms here. British television news (with the exception of the very recent launch of GB News) is by and large very balanced, regulated and presents much more considered views than print or radio. The majority of us do not read English tabloid newspapers, the versions sold here are different, and we by and large don't listen to a lot of English radio, particularly not talk radio. The clips from the likes of LBC and so on, are mostly coming from social media or people who are specifically interested in topics like Brexit posting online. Perhaps we imagine we've more understanding of England and English politics than we really do, because of that level of familiarity through television.

I was hoping that Brexit wouldn't happen, but I had a feeling in my gut that it wasn't a sure thing, yet I think most people looking on from an Irish, or indeed a London, point of view all seemed totally shocked when it passed and continue to be shocked at how English politics is continuing to drive an extremely hard and often self destructive line. I think we're still not quite 'getting' how deeply embedded in English political culture this is.

There isn't going to be a pragmatic outcome anytime soon and the shrill, paranoid, vitriolic language will continue as they go on to blame the EU, blame foreigners, blame Brussels when the reality of not being in the EU has practical consequences.

How long that goes on for is anyone's guess, but I would suspect at least a few decades.

The point being made on ETIAS is ridiculous too. The system is a full decade in development, having being launched as a proposal in 2011 and is due to come into effect next year, for everyone who's a non-EU / non-Schengen passport holder and has a visa waiver into the Schengen area. It's very similar to the US, Canadian and Australian systems and even to one of the proposals that Priti Patel and others have been bouncing around for the UK itself and it applies universally. It's nothing to do with nor is about the UK or Brexit in any way, yet in the commentators' heads in England, EVERYTHING is about them, and revenge and plots against them. If anything, it's just a view into their mindset rather than anything to do with reality.

I'd see commentary like that in much the way I'd see someone's interpretation of inkblots. You can tell a lot about the political culture you're dealing with.

Some excellent points ^^ Fintan O'Toole tried to address much of it in his book. He reckons loss of empire and the inability to come to terms with it, Britain's troubled and conflicting memory of WW2 (including many urban myths) and the rise of English nationalism are key factors in the country's almost bizarre relationship with Europe.

Fintan O'Toole certainly provided an interesting analysis of it. I think it's definitely an area where we need to be careful not to project our world view and by doing so misinterpret theirs.

We speak a common language, we by and large get each other's sense of humour and many aspects of each other's cultures, but when it comes to politics and how we see and define ourselves, things start to diverge quite drastically. One is a former imperial power, the other is a former colony. We share a common, and very deeply intertwined history, but we played entirely opposite roles. It's always one area where familiarity does not imply shared perspective and it can be risky to assume it does. I have found it rather jarring to see attempts by right wing British parties and movements to appeal to Irish nationalism, without having the slightest clue of what it is or how its values might be quite literally the polar opposite to theirs on many issues, particularly that of having a warm and fuzzy feeling towards empire and the commonwealth and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Have little personal experience of UK public opinion, but I've come to believe their politicians could never fully accept the fact that the UK was not the main driver of the project (possibly that's some "exceptionalism" kicking in). I think they would have wished to have a position for the UK within the EU of an "indispensible" nation, or a first among equals.

Unfortunately for them it is France/Germany that come closest to occupying that role in the current EU setup and that was never going to change. It was probably hard to stomach the reality that the France/Germany pair usually disagreed with them about the EUs direction, and the UK without having some more EU "allies" on board was never able (on its own) to drive the EU to develop in directions that the France/Germany partnership did not want.

The UK couldn't stop the Euro (and its later bailouts) from happening or EU integration deepening and they couldn't get any wind behind further Eastward expansions.

Finally under Cameron the UK failed to secure all the (fairly selfish) changes to the EU it wanted by appealing to the UKs indispensibility (via the danger of a UK exit caused by a referendum).

Again, this brings us back to the loss of empire. Britain thinking it is too special or too important to be a mere 'equal partner' with the other 27 states. This fuelled all the opt outs and may well have fuelled Brexit itself : "We're so important that we don't even need the EU or to be a member of it".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Can you enlighten me as to why a sixty odd year old Irish person(a nation which wasn't involved in ww2) is someone who's opinion is relevant regarding British memories of ww2?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭20silkcut

As machiavelli once said : ““Just as artists who draw landscapes get down in the valley to study the mountains and go up to the mountains to look down on the valley, so one has to be a prince to get to know the character of a people and a man of the people to know the character of a prince.”

basically you don’t have to be intrinsically involved in a situation to make insightful observations on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Because they might know what they're talking about. What a weird question.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pay rise for Aldi lorry drivers amid shortage "its careers website states wages are between £14.15 and £15.34 per hour for day shifts, and £16.98 and £18.41 per hour for night shifts."

Low enough paid jobs, and there's the health and safety aspect of the extra hour HGV drivers are "allowed" to do may make it unattractive to some. Offer enough money and you'll get drivers back from the EU. But prices would have to go up a bit.

If/when self driving trucks become a thing all those drivers could be out of work fairly quickly.

On a separate note UK car factories will have to compete with other factories in areas with EU free trade agreements owned by their parent group when electric or self driving cars means a production line is to be upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

To be honest this sums up an element of the British attitude about WW2. It was a big complicated war and didn't just involve the UK. Ireland was involved in WW2. While the nation was nominally neutral, Irish concessions to the allies did make important contributions to the allied cause. A very prominent example being weather reports which played a key part in the timings of the D Day landing. There are other examples.

To bring it back to Brexit, Ireland is an island off the coast of Europe and shared a land border with one of the major particpants of the war. The country was impacted and involved in WW2. Geography dictated that. Its the same Geography that will force the UK to deal with the EU. Many of the issues the UK is facing for example with truck drivers are issues driven by the geographic realities of its local logistics. Just because Brexit has happened doesn't mean the EU will go away and the UK won't have to deal with the "Europe" question.

Virtually none of the Brexiteers / Leave voters lived through it either. O'Toole challenges their narrative of Britain "winning" the war and "liberating Europe" - this garbled remembering of how the war panned out is not one shared in Europe (France itself for example played a big part in its own liberation through the resistance and the Free French forces). GB is seen as one of just many protagonists in that war and one which was probably saved from invasion by the English Channel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's not garbled, it's deceit plain and simple. Not only that, it's a superlative of disgusting disregard for the millions of men from the commonwealth who fought for the British. My World War 2 strategy game , Hearts of Iron IV plays speeches from allied leaders at various points so I've heard Churchill's speeches several times at this point. You can say many things about the man but he is careful to always pay high praise to the "great French army" as well as the dominions in his speeches. It was the empire that stood alone, not the UK. That's before we get to the various Europeans who flew RAF planes, the tens of thousands of Irish who kept British industry going, etc.

It horrifies me that the British right has been able to blatantly lie about something like this for so long and never be held accountable.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Yes, the "We'd all be speaking German now but for us liberating Europe" narrative goes totally unchallenged. The allied forces were always known as 'The Allies' (even by the Germans themselves at the time of D-Day). The Brexit nationalists have almost edited out that the likes of Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa were also at war with the Nazis, not to mention the Americans, Russians and the Free French.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Indeed, spare a thought for the poor UK which stood completely alone in mid 1940, except for half a billion inhabitants of the Raj and a world spanning empire.

Advertisement