Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Boating chit chat thread.

19192939597

Comments



  • fergal.b wrote: »
    You might get lost in here with all the chit chat :) maybe start a new topic in the forum if you need to. My advice to you would be to get rid of the lot if you do not know what you are doing and look for a good running boat if you still want one. If the trailer was let to go to pieces I'm sure the rest of the boat and engine has also, for a mechanic to work on it you could be looking at 60=80 euros an hour on top of the cost of a water pump kit, new oil top and bottom, carb kit and so on then you have the price of a trailer and any boat repairs $$$$$$$:eek:$$$$$$$





    $

    hi Fergal, thanks for the reply, wasn't sure if this was the best spot, wasn't sure I warranted a thread - will look at starting one up :)

    I should have given a little more detail in my initial post, the boat was stored in a shed for most of its life, but the trailer was left outside so its in a much worse state of repair - thankfully, the transom on the boat 'appears' to be solid but haven't taken the motor off or anything to do a detailed investigation.

    The motor does run, we put an impeller, new 2t oil & new spark plugs in it before we started it up (it had been sitting for 4-5 years in the last guy's shed)

    We have had it in water, briefly, it floats (yay :D) and the motor does run and engage in forward and reverse, but she doesn't go particularly fast or get on the plane, she did get onto the plane at one point but it was short lived and unexplained - it has manual trim which appears to be damaged so not sure if this is the cause of the lack of speed or something else.

    Would be happy to pay decent money for someones services - even just to tell us if it's a go-er or a scrapper, we don't really want to sell it without a decent understanding of it's condition to be honest, wouldn't really feel comfortable pricing it or letting it on to someone without knowing true details of it. (probably should have applied that logic when buying - but them's the breaks :pac:)

    It would be rude not to post a photo I guess:

    fletcherarrowflyte140.jpg




  • Hi all,

    I recently got involved in both power boating and sailing and I am loving both.

    I am looking to get a good quality log book that captures both powerboating & sailing, is there a ‘go to’ log book that everyone uses or or they all the same.

    Thanks.




  • Super, thanks for that Andy




  • Cheensbo wrote: »
    hi Fergal, thanks for the reply, wasn't sure if this was the best spot, wasn't sure I warranted a thread - will look at starting one up :)

    I should have given a little more detail in my initial post, the boat was stored in a shed for most of its life, but the trailer was left outside so its in a much worse state of repair - thankfully, the transom on the boat 'appears' to be solid but haven't taken the motor off or anything to do a detailed investigation.

    The motor does run, we put an impeller, new 2t oil & new spark plugs in it before we started it up (it had been sitting for 4-5 years in the last guy's shed)

    We have had it in water, briefly, it floats (yay :D) and the motor does run and engage in forward and reverse, but she doesn't go particularly fast or get on the plane, she did get onto the plane at one point but it was short lived and unexplained - it has manual trim which appears to be damaged so not sure if this is the cause of the lack of speed or something else.

    Would be happy to pay decent money for someones services - even just to tell us if it's a go-er or a scrapper, we don't really want to sell it without a decent understanding of it's condition to be honest, wouldn't really feel comfortable pricing it or letting it on to someone without knowing true details of it. (probably should have applied that logic when buying - but them's the breaks :pac:)

    It would be rude not to post a photo I guess:

    fletcherarrowflyte140.jpg

    She looks good, I would start with a carb rebuild kit as it has been sitting for a few years the fuel can gum up so a good cleaning new fuel and you should be good to go, you could probably do it yourself with the help of some YouTube videos.




    .


  • Advertisement


  • Anyone know of a diver on the Northside who would be prepared to dive and scrub boat hulls? Trying to figure out if it’s cheaper than getting a lift-out in a marina.




  • Major Dad wrote: »
    Anyone know of a diver on the Northside who would be prepared to dive and scrub boat hulls? Trying to figure out if it’s cheaper than getting a lift-out in a marina.

    Where you based? Regular diver in Howth who scrubs on the marina and costs similar to crane




  • Wasn’t there a guy posting here about a year ago thinking about setting up as a hull scrub diver???

    Malahide charge me something like €120 to get a sling wash (8.7m boat length) and I like to have a good look around the hull myself, as well as give the propellor a good clean (the barnacles are fcuking ridiculous), and change the shaft anode if it needs changing….




  • Sad to see the death of the ‘voice’ for many years of the Dublin Bay Hut. RIP.

    WINKELMANN .. Carmel Elizabeth … Peacefully, in her 93rd year,
    Due to the Government restrictions, a family funeral will take a place privately ………As a mark of respect, the funeral cortège will be passing the yacht clubs in Dun Laoghaire on Friday morning at 9am. ………Family flowers only please. Donations, if desired online, to the RNLI.




  • Mick Tator wrote: »
    Sad to see the death of the ‘voice’ for many years of the Dublin Bay Hut. RIP.

    WINKELMANN .. Carmel Elizabeth … Peacefully, in her 93rd year,
    Due to the Government restrictions, a family funeral will take a place privately ………As a mark of respect, the funeral cortège will be passing the yacht clubs in Dun Laoghaire on Friday morning at 9am. ………Family flowers only please. Donations, if desired online, to the RNLI.
    Truly a legend gone.


    Even when she could no longer make it down to the Hut (and could barely make it into the clubhouse), right up until Covid put a stop to our collective gallop she was on the balcony in the Irish every Thursday and Saturday before racing - drinking her latte, holding court, marshalling the Committee Boat teams, making sure everything was running ship-shape, and keeping up with the gossip.


    She was amazing.


    RIP Carmel :(


  • Advertisement


  • Major Dad wrote: »
    Anyone know of a diver on the Northside who would be prepared to dive and scrub boat hulls? Trying to figure out if it’s cheaper than getting a lift-out in a marina.

    The regulations around diving are very strict now, no more one-man operations. It's a three person job now and the cost reflects this.




  • Is there an environmental implication associated with scrubbing your boat (which may have a coat of anti-foul on it) under water in a marina?




  • Van Doozy wrote: »
    Is there an environmental implication associated with scrubbing your boat (which may have a coat of anti-foul on it) under water in a marina?
    I can't imagine it's any worse than scrubbing it up on the hard - the dust/debris winds up in the water eventually anyway!




  • I’m berthed in Malahide Marina and it costs about EUR140 for a sling wash. I have used VC Offshore anti founding for the past two years and whilst it gives a fantastic finish, it dosn’t last long. After about 4-5 weeks there’s a scum on the hull and after 8-10 weeks there is growth. It comes off real easy but it’s a pain having to sling wash at least twice during the season. Hence the question about the cost of a diver.




  • Major Dad wrote: »
    I’m berthed in Malahide Marina and it costs about EUR140 for a sling wash. I have used VC Offshore anti founding for the past two years and whilst it gives a fantastic finish, it dosn’t last long. After about 4-5 weeks there’s a scum on the hull and after 8-10 weeks there is growth. It comes off real easy but it’s a pain having to sling wash at least twice during the season. Hence the question about the cost of a diver.


    In Malahide myself, used Hempel last year and never again…..

    Had a sling wash back in April, and already I’ve 1-2 ft long stuff growing from the waterline?!!




  • Has anyone left their car around the harbour in Dun Laoghaire overnight?




  • Has anyone left their car around the harbour in Dun Laoghaire overnight?

    I have, a few times over the years. No problem at all.

    I think the underground car park between the marina and the George is locked up overnight if you're worried about security. I think the Pavilion might close overnight as well but not sure about that these days, I'm going back a couple of years.




  • Has anyone left their car around the harbour in Dun Laoghaire overnight?

    Not unusual to see camper vans overnighting in the carpark beside the slipway, might be an option to park up near them?




  • Back in the day when the Pavillion was a cinema I left my car parked at Man-o-War Steps, loaded gear onto the boat and sailed off. A week or so later my car was recovered but it took me another week to retrieve it - I still believe that the garda who found it took it to Cork to see his girlfriend.




  • In Malahide myself, used Hempel last year and never again…..

    Had a sling wash back in April, and already I’ve 1-2 ft long stuff growing from the waterline?!!
    I've used Hempel for years on my sailing cruiser and was very pleased with it. Used it (brown) this spring on my new motorboat and its OK so far.........


  • Advertisement


  • Interesting one from the South Coast;
    Former U2 stage manager rescued after 52 days at sea

    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0706/1233377-kinsale-rescue/




  • Just curious, how would 5 if the 6 sails be knackered. Would they have not been up to it before he left??




  • rje66 wrote: »
    Just curious, how would 5 if the 6 sails be knackered. Would they have not been up to it before he left??

    Found that quite strange also when it said he wasn't moving due to a lack of wind.




  • I presume in the five weeks he was under sail with no engine he hit some heavy weather and they got damaged, and the 10 days he was drifting in no wind was close to Ireland which is when the coastguard was tracking him.




  • No surprise to see the usual totally garbled RTE nonsense/uninformed comment about the engine not working, all he needed that for was leaving and entering port. Solar panels and/or turbine should be fitted and working to charge batteries minimum for radio and nav lights. Would anyone do a transat without one or both of them?

    Martinique to here is about 3,500 nm. A voyage like that would usually take 25-30 days in a 52-foot ketch. He spent fifty-two days at sea, about double the norm. He’s lucky he had water, but I suppose alone on a 52 footer he had room.

    Photos show a perfectly sound genoa, and the main and mizen are furled on their booms. To rip one sail is an accident, to rip two is carelessness but ….“He said he has to make repairs to five of the six sails on board, as well as the engine and three of the winches before he can continue his journey.”

    Winds were favorable for W to E over the last several weeks There was decent wind out there for the last couple of them, not a huge amount but F1-3 most days (and wet!). No storms and Elsa was heading in the other direction. Personally, I think the guy was out of his depth (literally and figuratively) and just got tired. Otherwise, WTF was he at?




  • Jaysus, Prof/Ciara Peelo on RTE just now saying the 49'er guys are being protested by the jury because a harness was overweight.

    Could DSQ them from both of today's races 😱





  • 90g overweight too… I know every bit counts and they need to be strict for one design, but that will be sickening if it leads to a disqualification.



  • Advertisement




Advertisement