Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Boating chit chat thread.

19192949697

Comments



  • When it lands in Ireland you'll get an email from the delivery company with an invoice for VAT, Duty and Customs Agent Fee. They'll require you to pay that before they deliver it to you.




  • OSI wrote: »
    When it lands in Ireland you'll get an email from the delivery company with an invoice for VAT, Duty and Customs Agent Fee. They'll require you to pay that before they deliver it to you.

    oh shizer!!!!

    So if purchase price is £375, VAT should be another 23% on top of that, £86.25, then what would I be talking for Duty & Customs Agent Fee?

    (its actually coming in at £413.98 on their site (Marine Scene) as their charging £38.99 shipping)..

    might be easier to just sail over to Wales to collect it and pay U.K. VAT on it...




  • I'm not sure what if any duty is applied to marine goods to be honest. The customs agent fee varies by the agent, I've paid anywhere from 3.50 to 15 so far. VAT will be due on the shipping costs as well :)




  • might be easier to just sail over to Wales to collect it and pay U.K. VAT on it...

    Let me know if you need crew!

    I am sick of getting roasted on stuff from the UK. I converted a camper recently and got stung big time on a some the items I brought in for the conversion.

    Aside from the fact that it's taking about 3 weeks or so to actually get the stuff in, a lot of sellers don't have processes in place for export and can;t be arsed with the paperwork so they are simply just declining business from ROI.

    Others don't seem to be aware that if they're exporting an item then they don't have to charge VAT (we pay it at the point of entry) so an Irish buyer might have to pay it twice...

    To make matters worse many of the Irish agents for niche items are UK based :rolleyes:




  • I'm thinking Northern Ireland might be the loophole, but I was looking and not a whole lot in the way of chandlers up there...
    found Bosun Bobs & Sands, but not a lot in the way of inflatable dinghy offerings..


  • Advertisement


  • A lot of the seagull engine parts I have bought over the years came from the UK but it looks like I won't be doing any more as even the smallest part now cost 25 euros to post. :(






    .




  • Be a lovely little boat for trips on the inland waters in Ireland. A snip at $2.7m.

    https://robbreport.com/motors/marine/savvy-superyacht-barge-canal-cruise-1234604776/




  • is there anyone along the shannon hiring out speedboats? or is that sort of thing unheard of?




  • fryup wrote: »
    is there anyone along the shannon hiring out speedboats? or is that sort of thing unheard of?

    With insurance and fuel prices it would not be feasible you would probably also have to carry a powerboat cert to cover the insurance as they are very dangerous things in the wrong hands. Lakeside marina do day hire boats some with cuddy cabins but you won't be getting up on the plane in any of them :)



    .




  • fryup wrote: »
    is there anyone along the shannon hiring out speedboats? or is that sort of thing unheard of?

    Wineport Lodge, Athlone do to my knowledge. More like a plastic rib with a centre console.


  • Advertisement


  • The Tesla community are not happy………

    unkel wrote: »
    I'll leave this here, first time I was at Ballacolla :p

    555334.jpg




  • The Tesla community are not happy………


    Reading the EV thread the pic is about four years old. Not making excuses for the guy, but with a few dozen Teslas in the country back then it's not the same 'issue' as it would be today.




  • Mick Tator wrote: »
    Reading the EV thread the pic is about four years old. Not making excuses for the guy, but with a few dozen Teslas in the country back then it's not the same 'issue' as it would be today.

    Yeah, only realised it was a few years ago when there were more Tesla chargers than Tesla’s in the country….




  • Meanwhile it looks like Dublin - Dingle is going to be a bit of an upwind slog for the fleet……




  • Meanwhile it looks like Dublin - Dingle is going to be a bit of an upwind slog for the fleet……


    The weather in the SW so far this season has been absolutely s#1te, although last week there were a few days of hefty N. Easterlies.




  • Looking like a beat and beach hopping down the east coast then a onetack beat to fastnet before cracking off to Dingle where its forecasted to go light on Friday morning.




  • Few heading out to D2D start

    20210609-130527.jpg




  • Live webcam, covering what looks like some of teh starting area found here;
    https://afloat.ie/port-news/dublin-bay-news/dun-laoghaire-sandycove-webcam/item/44321-dublin-bay-webcam-livestream




  • Hi all,

    In a moment of probable madness late last year - a friend and I purchased a little 14foot Fletcher speedboat with a '92 Yamaha 60 autolube on it, one of those 'seems like a good deal' things.. :D

    The trailer has pretty much disintegrated since towing it home so before we either sell the lot as a project or buy a new trailer to use ourselves - we would like to get the boat, particularly the motor looked at.

    In typical newbie fashion - we know nothing about boats, or outboards so hoping that someone here might recommend a mechanic who could come take a look at it and either give it a once over - or at worst give us a list of things wrong with it so we can look at our options.

    Would anyone be able to recommend someone who could come take a look - Kildare/newbridge area?

    Cheers :)




  • Looks like Freya, the line honours leader and biggest boat in the fleet has just retired!!!


  • Advertisement


  • Looks like Freya, the line honours leader and biggest boat in the fleet has just retired!!!

    Or is it just a blip? I'm waiting on the next ping to see!




  • Yeah they're back on track (and back in front!)




  • Yeah, their back in the eace now it seems!!




  • Pings only every 15 mins can be very misleading! And I'm assuming they'll go back to every 30 mins after a while.




  • Aaaaaand they're going north again!

    Something def up there




  • Saying their only doing 1kt, and off a fairly strong breeze…..

    Something up alright…




  • Saying their only doing 1kt, and off a fairly strong breeze…..

    Something up alright…

    I'm hearing they rescued a kitesurfer, transferring to lifeboat, and will resume racing :eek:




  • HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm hearing they rescued a kitesurfer, transferring to lifeboat, and will resume racing :eek:

    Oh wow, that’s interesting…. Fairly far offshore for a kite surfer to be!!!

    I guess all times will be recorded and and the time spent during the rescue will be subtracted from their time.

    Yeah, their back in the race now…..


  • Advertisement


  • Cheensbo wrote: »
    Hi all,

    In a moment of probable madness late last year - a friend and I purchased a little 14foot Fletcher speedboat with a '92 Yamaha 60 autolube on it, one of those 'seems like a good deal' things.. :D

    The trailer has pretty much disintegrated since towing it home so before we either sell the lot as a project or buy a new trailer to use ourselves - we would like to get the boat, particularly the motor looked at.

    In typical newbie fashion - we know nothing about boats, or outboards so hoping that someone here might recommend a mechanic who could come take a look at it and either give it a once over - or at worst give us a list of things wrong with it so we can look at our options.

    Would anyone be able to recommend someone who could come take a look - Kildare/newbridge area?

    Cheers :)

    You might get lost in here with all the chit chat :) maybe start a new topic in the forum if you need to. My advice to you would be to get rid of the lot if you do not know what you are doing and look for a good running boat if you still want one. If the trailer was let to go to pieces I'm sure the rest of the boat and engine has also, for a mechanic to work on it you could be looking at 60=80 euros an hour on top of the cost of a water pump kit, new oil top and bottom, carb kit and so on then you have the price of a trailer and any boat repairs $$$$$$$:eek:$$$$$$$





    $


Advertisement