Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Aaaaaand they're going north again!

Something def up there

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Saying their only doing 1kt, and off a fairly strong breeze…..

Something up alright…

Saying their only doing 1kt, and off a fairly strong breeze…..

Something up alright…

I'm hearing they rescued a kitesurfer, transferring to lifeboat, and will resume racing :eek:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm hearing they rescued a kitesurfer, transferring to lifeboat, and will resume racing :eek:

Oh wow, that’s interesting…. Fairly far offshore for a kite surfer to be!!!

I guess all times will be recorded and and the time spent during the rescue will be subtracted from their time.

Yeah, their back in the race now…..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Hi all,

In a moment of probable madness late last year - a friend and I purchased a little 14foot Fletcher speedboat with a '92 Yamaha 60 autolube on it, one of those 'seems like a good deal' things.. :D

The trailer has pretty much disintegrated since towing it home so before we either sell the lot as a project or buy a new trailer to use ourselves - we would like to get the boat, particularly the motor looked at.

In typical newbie fashion - we know nothing about boats, or outboards so hoping that someone here might recommend a mechanic who could come take a look at it and either give it a once over - or at worst give us a list of things wrong with it so we can look at our options.

Would anyone be able to recommend someone who could come take a look - Kildare/newbridge area?

Cheers :)

You might get lost in here with all the chit chat :) maybe start a new topic in the forum if you need to. My advice to you would be to get rid of the lot if you do not know what you are doing and look for a good running boat if you still want one. If the trailer was let to go to pieces I'm sure the rest of the boat and engine has also, for a mechanic to work on it you could be looking at 60=80 euros an hour on top of the cost of a water pump kit, new oil top and bottom, carb kit and so on then you have the price of a trailer and any boat repairs $$$$$$$:eek:$$$$$$$

$

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

fergal.b wrote: »
    You might get lost in here with all the chit chat :) maybe start a new topic in the forum if you need to. My advice to you would be to get rid of the lot if you do not know what you are doing and look for a good running boat if you still want one. If the trailer was let to go to pieces I'm sure the rest of the boat and engine has also, for a mechanic to work on it you could be looking at 60=80 euros an hour on top of the cost of a water pump kit, new oil top and bottom, carb kit and so on then you have the price of a trailer and any boat repairs $$$$$$$:eek:$$$$$$$

$

hi Fergal, thanks for the reply, wasn't sure if this was the best spot, wasn't sure I warranted a thread - will look at starting one up :)

I should have given a little more detail in my initial post, the boat was stored in a shed for most of its life, but the trailer was left outside so its in a much worse state of repair - thankfully, the transom on the boat 'appears' to be solid but haven't taken the motor off or anything to do a detailed investigation.

The motor does run, we put an impeller, new 2t oil & new spark plugs in it before we started it up (it had been sitting for 4-5 years in the last guy's shed)

We have had it in water, briefly, it floats (yay :D) and the motor does run and engage in forward and reverse, but she doesn't go particularly fast or get on the plane, she did get onto the plane at one point but it was short lived and unexplained - it has manual trim which appears to be damaged so not sure if this is the cause of the lack of speed or something else.

Would be happy to pay decent money for someones services - even just to tell us if it's a go-er or a scrapper, we don't really want to sell it without a decent understanding of it's condition to be honest, wouldn't really feel comfortable pricing it or letting it on to someone without knowing true details of it. (probably should have applied that logic when buying - but them's the breaks :pac:)

It would be rude not to post a photo I guess:

fletcherarrowflyte140.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Katcosy

Hi all,

I recently got involved in both power boating and sailing and I am loving both.

I am looking to get a good quality log book that captures both powerboating & sailing, is there a ‘go to’ log book that everyone uses or or they all the same.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Katcosy

Super, thanks for that Andy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Cheensbo wrote: »
    hi Fergal, thanks for the reply, wasn't sure if this was the best spot, wasn't sure I warranted a thread - will look at starting one up :)

I should have given a little more detail in my initial post, the boat was stored in a shed for most of its life, but the trailer was left outside so its in a much worse state of repair - thankfully, the transom on the boat 'appears' to be solid but haven't taken the motor off or anything to do a detailed investigation.

The motor does run, we put an impeller, new 2t oil & new spark plugs in it before we started it up (it had been sitting for 4-5 years in the last guy's shed)

We have had it in water, briefly, it floats (yay :D) and the motor does run and engage in forward and reverse, but she doesn't go particularly fast or get on the plane, she did get onto the plane at one point but it was short lived and unexplained - it has manual trim which appears to be damaged so not sure if this is the cause of the lack of speed or something else.

Would be happy to pay decent money for someones services - even just to tell us if it's a go-er or a scrapper, we don't really want to sell it without a decent understanding of it's condition to be honest, wouldn't really feel comfortable pricing it or letting it on to someone without knowing true details of it. (probably should have applied that logic when buying - but them's the breaks :pac:)

It would be rude not to post a photo I guess:

fletcherarrowflyte140.jpg

She looks good, I would start with a carb rebuild kit as it has been sitting for a few years the fuel can gum up so a good cleaning new fuel and you should be good to go, you could probably do it yourself with the help of some YouTube videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Major Dad

Anyone know of a diver on the Northside who would be prepared to dive and scrub boat hulls? Trying to figure out if it’s cheaper than getting a lift-out in a marina.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭neris

Major Dad wrote: »
    Anyone know of a diver on the Northside who would be prepared to dive and scrub boat hulls? Trying to figure out if it’s cheaper than getting a lift-out in a marina.

Where you based? Regular diver in Howth who scrubs on the marina and costs similar to crane

Wasn’t there a guy posting here about a year ago thinking about setting up as a hull scrub diver???

Malahide charge me something like €120 to get a sling wash (8.7m boat length) and I like to have a good look around the hull myself, as well as give the propellor a good clean (the barnacles are fcuking ridiculous), and change the shaft anode if it needs changing….

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Sad to see the death of the ‘voice’ for many years of the Dublin Bay Hut. RIP.

WINKELMANN .. Carmel Elizabeth … Peacefully, in her 93rd year,
    Due to the Government restrictions, a family funeral will take a place privately ………As a mark of respect, the funeral cortège will be passing the yacht clubs in Dun Laoghaire on Friday morning at 9am. ………Family flowers only please. Donations, if desired online, to the RNLI.

Mick Tator wrote: »
    Sad to see the death of the ‘voice’ for many years of the Dublin Bay Hut. RIP.

WINKELMANN .. Carmel Elizabeth … Peacefully, in her 93rd year,
    Due to the Government restrictions, a family funeral will take a place privately ………As a mark of respect, the funeral cortège will be passing the yacht clubs in Dun Laoghaire on Friday morning at 9am. ………Family flowers only please. Donations, if desired online, to the RNLI.
    Truly a legend gone.

Even when she could no longer make it down to the Hut (and could barely make it into the clubhouse), right up until Covid put a stop to our collective gallop she was on the balcony in the Irish every Thursday and Saturday before racing - drinking her latte, holding court, marshalling the Committee Boat teams, making sure everything was running ship-shape, and keeping up with the gossip.

She was amazing.

RIP Carmel :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The regulations around diving are very strict now, no more one-man operations. It's a three person job now and the cost reflects this.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Van Doozy

Is there an environmental implication associated with scrubbing your boat (which may have a coat of anti-foul on it) under water in a marina?

Van Doozy wrote: »
    Is there an environmental implication associated with scrubbing your boat (which may have a coat of anti-foul on it) under water in a marina?
    I can't imagine it's any worse than scrubbing it up on the hard - the dust/debris winds up in the water eventually anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Major Dad

I’m berthed in Malahide Marina and it costs about EUR140 for a sling wash. I have used VC Offshore anti founding for the past two years and whilst it gives a fantastic finish, it dosn’t last long. After about 4-5 weeks there’s a scum on the hull and after 8-10 weeks there is growth. It comes off real easy but it’s a pain having to sling wash at least twice during the season. Hence the question about the cost of a diver.

• Advertisement

I’m berthed in Malahide Marina and it costs about EUR140 for a sling wash. I have used VC Offshore anti founding for the past two years and whilst it gives a fantastic finish, it dosn’t last long. After about 4-5 weeks there’s a scum on the hull and after 8-10 weeks there is growth. It comes off real easy but it’s a pain having to sling wash at least twice during the season. Hence the question about the cost of a diver.

In Malahide myself, used Hempel last year and never again…..

Had a sling wash back in April, and already I’ve 1-2 ft long stuff growing from the waterline?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Panjandrums

Has anyone left their car around the harbour in Dun Laoghaire overnight?

I have, a few times over the years. No problem at all.

I think the underground car park between the marina and the George is locked up overnight if you're worried about security. I think the Pavilion might close overnight as well but not sure about that these days, I'm going back a couple of years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Not unusual to see camper vans overnighting in the carpark beside the slipway, might be an option to park up near them?

Back in the day when the Pavillion was a cinema I left my car parked at Man-o-War Steps, loaded gear onto the boat and sailed off. A week or so later my car was recovered but it took me another week to retrieve it - I still believe that the garda who found it took it to Cork to see his girlfriend.

In Malahide myself, used Hempel last year and never again…..

Had a sling wash back in April, and already I’ve 1-2 ft long stuff growing from the waterline?!!
    I've used Hempel for years on my sailing cruiser and was very pleased with it. Used it (brown) this spring on my new motorboat and its OK so far.........

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Conchir

Interesting one from the South Coast;
    Former U2 stage manager rescued after 52 days at sea

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0706/1233377-kinsale-rescue/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭rje66

Just curious, how would 5 if the 6 sails be knackered. Would they have not been up to it before he left??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

rje66 wrote: »
    Just curious, how would 5 if the 6 sails be knackered. Would they have not been up to it before he left??

Found that quite strange also when it said he wasn't moving due to a lack of wind.

Advertisement