Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boating chit chat thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I presume in the five weeks he was under sail with no engine he hit some heavy weather and they got damaged, and the 10 days he was drifting in no wind was close to Ireland which is when the coastguard was tracking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

No surprise to see the usual totally garbled RTE nonsense/uninformed comment about the engine not working, all he needed that for was leaving and entering port. Solar panels and/or turbine should be fitted and working to charge batteries minimum for radio and nav lights. Would anyone do a transat without one or both of them?

Martinique to here is about 3,500 nm. A voyage like that would usually take 25-30 days in a 52-foot ketch. He spent fifty-two days at sea, about double the norm. He’s lucky he had water, but I suppose alone on a 52 footer he had room.

Photos show a perfectly sound genoa, and the main and mizen are furled on their booms. To rip one sail is an accident, to rip two is carelessness but ….“He said he has to make repairs to five of the six sails on board, as well as the engine and three of the winches before he can continue his journey.”

Winds were favorable for W to E over the last several weeks There was decent wind out there for the last couple of them, not a huge amount but F1-3 most days (and wet!). No storms and Elsa was heading in the other direction. Personally, I think the guy was out of his depth (literally and figuratively) and just got tired. Otherwise, WTF was he at?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

Jaysus, Prof/Ciara Peelo on RTE just now saying the 49'er guys are being protested by the jury because a harness was overweight.

Could DSQ them from both of today's races 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

90g overweight too… I know every bit counts and they need to be strict for one design, but that will be sickening if it leads to a disqualification.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Devastating!

I’m not familiar with 49ers, but the measuring process seems tough - dunk the harness in water, let it drain for a minute, and then measure. At least with foils or the hull you know the weight, it doesn’t change. With the harness you’re depending on the absorbency and everything else remaining the same. Gutted for the lads.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Couldn’t believe our luck this afternoon when sailing around Howth Head as we were met by a pod of about 12-15 dolphins!!!!

I’d seen some porpoises yesterday breaching, but these lads today were jumping and getting very close to the boat!!

incredible!

I don't think I've ever seen as many reefs in one place as on this morning's Fastnet start line 😱

I do NOT envy them, that is going to be a rough, tough first 24 hours.....

Manky-looking conditions!!

Its a race this year to be enjoyed from the comfort of a chair

• Advertisement

Storm jibs and heavily reefed mains in few boats in class 2. Wonder what'll they do if they get 35 knots

One of the lads who sails with us was doing the fastnet but they had to retire shortly after the start with a blown out headsail.

Matt Sheahan on a commentary rib at the start said they'd seen a boat with a big tear in their headsail, I wonder was that them?

There must be 30 or more retired already - a multihull after a collision with a spectator boat near the start, and I saw two class 3 or 4 boats doing what looked like a slow waltz with their rigs entangled before their start. I can't believe there weren't more collisions, tbh, given the conditions.

ETA - 38 retired by 5pm

Post edited by HeidiHeidi on

First boat a tri was around the fastnet around 8am and is blasting away at 30 knots (according to marine traffic) towards France while the leading monos have barely passed the Scilly isles. 2 Irish boats lying 25th & 26th overall on IRC

Pata Negra (ISORA crewed and owned, so honorary Irish!) 8th overall - Nieulargo and Desert Star IOS best of the Irish, in the 30s and 40s.

An eagle-eyed pal of mine just pointed out that Rambler 88 seems to have sailed the wrong side of the Fastnet TSS..... whoops 🙈

*gets popcorn

And Kenny Rumball/Pamela Lee leading in the Figaros - fantastic!

It showing on yellow brick Rambler came round the fastnet and went straight back inshore leaving the TSS to starboard instead of port. YB isnt the most reliable though as it only updates every few minutes and doesnt always track the actual course sailed

That usually manifests in boats looking like they've sailed through the TSS though. In this case it's hard to imagine that track showing if they did in fact leave the TSS to port.

It'll all come out in the wash, I'm sure!

This is supposedly the keel of a beneteau first 40 that retired from the fastnet with a leaking keel boat. Another few hours and it could have been worse

• Advertisement

I'd take some small comfort from the fact that they hit something, which at least explains the damage.

Cheeky Rafkiki, I thought the keel just sheared off? With no time to raise the alarm. (I might be remembering that slightly wrong.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

They were taking on water through the keel bolts, the boat had a few grounding and the damage we never properly checked or repaired. The bolts rusted out.

The skipper was in contact by sat phone the charter company but neither realised that it was the keel. After it happened the owner of the charter company was put on trial cleared of manslaughter but found guilty of " unsafe operation of the vessel and of failing to fulfill the requirements of the Merchant Shipping Act."

Company went bankrupt and he has to live with it!

A J120 also had issues with their keel on the fastnet. Its not the 1st time a J120 had keel issues in a race. Not sure of the year of the photo but if say there was a bit of a conversation on petra negra if they heard

Pata Negra (the hon Irish ISORA crew) have finished in 3rd overall on IRC - fantastic result!! (assuming it holds, obv)

Phosphorus, finished in 5th overall, with a pal of mine on board.

Irish Offshore Sailing currently 22nd overall - they were somewhere in the 70s last time I looked, that's some fight back!!

There are two other ISORA boats doing it 2-handed Polished Manx and AJ Wanderlust, and I feel I should give them a shout for just still being out there!!!

Still a long way to go for a lot of boats 🥺

See Rambler88 did the honest thing after the finish and retired after realising their mistake on the Fastnet TSS

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I have absolutely no connection to this boat and sadly am not in the market to buy currently, but this is a bargain boat for some lucky new owner. Sounds like she is not racing material, but a terrific cruising boat.

Tom Dolan first around the Fastnet in the last leg of La Solitaire du Figaro race, and now a close 2nd (although it looks like the rest of the fleet will get the incoming wind first, so who knows how long that'll last).

Also, decision is due today on the awarding of the next Americas Cup to Cork or not - I'm not sure how I feel about that, tbh, I'd be afraid that given our track record with these things we'd either make a complete hash of it, or it would actually and finally bankrupt the country. But the fact that we're this close is something, I suppose. (I see what sounds like some last-minute furious back-pedalling by the suits, saying "oh we won't be deciding if we accept the offer until the due diligence is done".... firstly, I'm not sure that's a wise stance to take (if you actually want the gig), and secondly, why wasn't it done already???)

(disclaimer, I know precisely nothing about the processes involved, so that's just my natural scepticism/cynicism kicking in)

Post edited by HeidiHeidi on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

As much as I'd love to get the America's Cup, I can see Dubai probably 'buying' it with a mega bucks bid..... but here's hoping.

I don't really think it's an event we can screw up, as ultimately it's held out on the water. I'm guessing the team shore bases will be the key thing, but surely some locations in Cork Harbour in the port area could be seconded to the teams to set up bases.

Would be a nice little venture to own/rent about 10 Ribs for the event, as there'll be no doubt huge money to be made at an AC.

If we get the AC, do we also get the Louis Vuitton Cup? or is it simply the final race (NZ vs Challenger) we'd get?

I can just imagine some of the 'outrage' we'll read in the next few days though if we do get it..... "It's costing us how much?????", and then when they realise Coveney is a sailor!!

Advertisement