Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021 Bride/Groom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Varadkar saying couples should plan for 50 on August so no further easing of restrictions

Ridiculous we're still going on max numbers

Have had few friends with weddings in Northern Ireland the last few weeks

Numbers are dependent on the venue

I was invited to a wedding in August

No kids bar 2 nieces and nephews of the groom

All rest who got invited double vaccinated but that doesn't seem to matter

I'll be one of those culled from the list but I can accept that no bother

Bride very upset at having to uninvite people now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Yeah we're in a similar boat for August 20th and were hoping for the increase to 100. We'll have 90% of attendees fully vaccinated but that doesn't seem to be considered in the limits. Very hard to decide whether postponing by a month will change things or whether to just uninvite people back down to 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Good to hear the ambiguity for the number of wedding guests being called out on the radio this morning. I assume there still won't be clarity until the end of month though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

The UK are enjoying life and we're practically caught up in the vaccine race, so not sure where the change in tact is coming from.

Fine we've a few more cases, but similar to the UK the cases aren't translating to hospitalizations or worse death. We've currently 96 in hospital and 22 in ICU pretty much unchanged the last long while.

If anything a few more cases is beneficial, for young people it's similar to a vaccination creating antibodies. For older people each case is validation the vaccine is doing it's job breaking the logic where an older person getting COVID has to rush off to hospital.

We really should be unlocking and I'm pissed with this. This is despite our venue holding only 60 so we've currently 57 invited. Uninviting 7 people which won't have any real effect epidemically.

It's just a reflection on our populations worry. It seems we have totally forgotten how vaccinations work and we can't update our logic. Trust NPHET for a total lack of scientific leadership.

Things won't get worse in winter. People are vaccinated now. Vaccinations prevent serious disease. Without serious disease there is no worry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Do we know when they are expecting to announce whether it's going to 100 from August 5th or staying at 50? It's getting close like.

I'm hearing of venues ringing couples booked for August advising them to plan on the basis of it being 50.

I think I read in the news that there'll be discussions and decisions in the government next week. Possible the end of next week.

Leo V was in the news recently, as he was asked about wedding numbers for August. He told couples that they should plan for 50 guests. So I assume that's why venues are advising their couples to plan for 50 guests now for August. It's obviously not set in stone yet, but the "leaks" are often accurate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yes, the venues are undoubtedly basing it on what the Tánaiste stated. I watched the press conference, on one hand he said couples should plan for 50 and then on the other said there is a good possiblity that it will be a 100.

Talk about mixed messaging. Of course couples planning their weddings in August are planning on the basis of having 100 at it, the Government stated that 100 would be allowed from August 5th. Now the Tánaiste is turning around and stating in an almost sanctimonious tone that of course couples should only be planning to have 50. It is next to impossible to go from inviting 50 to 100 in the space of a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭taxdummy

I think this is going to be an issue, it's great saying Oh well the over 30 or 40 are being vaccinated so my guests will be ok, but what if your guests don't want to be vaccinated, or more so for women, what if they are pregnant and sub 14 weeks and hence not vaccinated, or sub 12 weeks so that nobody knows they are even pregnant - will they just have to make some excuse to miss a wedding, that they would otherwise be going to? What happens if they have already being invited and accepted - it's a very crap situation - esp if they were a bridesmaid etc. Leo should never have made the remark in the first place as all it's done is to cause anxiety and uncertainty to all involved.

Yeah to be honest, his tone/delivery was the worst part.

I also heard him defending his statement on the radio. But his logic didn't make any sense. When he was questioned about most guests being vaccinated, he was saying what about the children who aren't. Eh... sure aren't you allowing them for indoor dining?! And he was saying he didn't want to put couples in the awkward position of having to uninvite unvaccinated guests... eh, so instead it's easier for them to cut their numbers in half and uninvite 50 out of a 100 guests!?

Seriously, he needs to start watching what he says. He's not coming off well at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 sambowden

Ya I agree, the whole thing is so bizarre. We wouldnt even know about this backtracking if the reporter hadnt brought it up the other day. They clearly had no plan on telling anyone about it until next week at the earliest. And they clearly havent given a single seconds thought to how they could utilise the same system they are bringing into bars for weddings also. Varadkar's two weak arguments against using this system were a) what about the kids - what about them you are allowing them in bars from Monday and 2) I doubt theyd want to un-invite guests if they were not vaccinated - right, but instead they will be happy to un-invite 50 from the 100! Most people who get married are well in their 30s, so most friends and family will be similar age or older. Most over 30s will be well on their way to getting fully vaccinated by middle of August. So you would probably be able to have 80%+ of your 100 go. So of course its much better to only have to un-invite 20 than 50!! And then the next obvious question should follow - if we have the vaccination rule then we can surely just get rid of the number limit completely and then also let bands play - both saving the wedding band industry and massively helping hotels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0727/1237474-coronavirus-ireland/ - looks like the planned increase will in fact go ahead. No details about whether there is any need for a certain number of guests to be vaccinated or anything yet

relief all around for us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

'The number of people permitted to attend weddings will rise to 100 after 5 August, according to Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney.'

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0727/1237474-coronavirus-ireland/

Delighted the government has seen some sense

Some relief for those couples in August

That's the end of planned increasing in numbers for the year (unless the government go beyond the living with covid plan) but if we could hold it at 100 at least that's a better number than we've had to this point

Next thing up getting music back at weddings

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

Very true

Can't see that happening for a while though

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I married back in 2019 but still follow my wedding singer on facebook - she had a post up last night delighted with life saying live music allowed at weddings again - might be worth checking with your hotel

I know that the Government has yet to announce any update on the live music situation. Maybe some venues are doing their own thing though.

Just checked her page there now, she must have gotten ahead of herself as the post has been removed 🙈

Live music is out but DJs are allowed?

• Advertisement

That's interesting, has that been mentioned anywhere?

2022 for me but have a lot of friends getting married this year

Pity about her comment

Would have loved her to be right

"Minister Donnelly will now work to produce clarity around everything from indoor, outdoor, music or not, receptions numbers and so on, so that there's clarity before the 5th, and that will be in a regulation to ensure that it's law."

The bit about putting details about music etc into a regulation has me concerned. At the moment, the thing about no music and no dancing is just in Failte Ireland guidelines - it's not the law. My venue have been allowing music and dancing, because they don't fall under Failte Ireland and it's not illegal. But now, if they put it into the law that music and dancing ISN'T allowed at weddings, then it'll actually a huge step backwards for us.

I know this is supposed to be good news for weddings, but that really has me concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

When they say 50 guests till August 5 and 100 beyond that. Does this number Include the bride and groom?

The number hasn't included the bride and groom (or suppliers) for quite some time, so I see no reason why that would change now. We won't know for sure until they finalise the details and update the legislation though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

Thanks for letting me know

The Irish Hotels Federation are advising members that the Government guidance surrounding no live or loud music at the wedding reception remains in place.

Music at Wedding Ceremony

Please note, the Government has separately confirmed that it remains the case that music is only allowed for the wedding ceremony / service and is subject to HPSC guidance available HERE.

The Government decision remains in place that no live or loud music is permitted for the wedding reception. We are continuing to seek the lifting of this restriction as part of our discussions with the Government.

We are also seeking a review of licensing hours as well as further clarification in relation to wedding guest numbers from September onwards.

• Advertisement

Do you have a link for that? My understanding was that all the details still need to be finalised.

It's from a briefing email sent around to all IHF members.

IHF have said they are lobbying the Government for changes, but the restrictions remain the same for now.

I know some venues are more relaxed about the restrictions - i.e. allowing DJ's and so on.

Our venue has been allowing music and dancing. I'm spooked now though that they might actually put no music or dancing at weddings into legislation. That would be a huge blow to us and a lot of other couples.

I don't think they would be put into legislation, they have only ever been guidelines the whole way through as far as I am aware. Some venues just haven't been strictly adhering to the guidelines, while others have been fearing repetitional damage should there be an outbreak associated with an event.

If your venue has been allowing music and dancing up to this point I doubt they will go down the route of imposing greater restrictions at this late stage in the pandemic.

Personally I feel they should just get it over with and officially allow live music at the very least.

On RTE news they said:

"Minister Donnelly will now work to produce clarity around everything from indoor, outdoor, music or not, receptions numbers and so on, so that there's clarity before the 5th, and that will be in a regulation to ensure that it's law."

So that implies that any decisions about music may go into the law this time instead of just guidelines. If that's the case, venues won't have any choice to no longer allow music, as they'd be breaking the law otherwise.

Honestly though, if they're allowing weddings of 100 people, it would be madness not to allow music and dancing!

hopefully they will put some dates in place, even if its just indicative,

i.e. if covid number peak and begin to decrease in August then we will allow live music/dancing from Sept 3rd, and if numbers continue to grow it will be October 1st, something like that...

If they were able to put dates on the 50 and 100 guests increases then there's no reason they couldn't do something similar with the live music/dancing.

At least then you can be like, okay my weeding is August 30th, I can now 100% cancel that booking and put the money into something else. Which would also allow the bands to look for other wedding work up North so they are not hit also...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Officer999

Has the increase in wedding numbers to 100 been officially announced? Simon Convey has mentioned it in an interview and Leo was on Newstalk speaking about it but has there been any public announcement?

Gone through cabinet afaik

No major announcement due this time so no speech from Martin thankfully

Minister Coveney said the decision was made at Cabinet "in principle" and that Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly will now look at the detail.

Speaking to RTÉ's News at One, he said: "Minister Donnelly will now work to produce clarity around everything from indoor, outdoor, music or not, receptions numbers and so on, so that there's clarity before the 5th, and that will be in a regulation to ensure that it's law.

So it has been decided, but the legislation hasn't updated yet to reflect this decision.

I would hope that they won't be singing into law restrictions on dancing / music and let it be a loose arrangement.

Sure we had Tony Holohan on last night taking about how the excellent vaccine uptake will allow further restriction lifting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Officer999

Thanks all for the replies. Any word on when this clarity will be announced?

August 5th is only one week away

I would hope that they won't be singing into law restrictions on dancing / music and let it be a loose arrangement.

Sorry, but that made me laugh....obviously i know its a typo and should be signing but under the topic of music, singing in the law would be hilarious 🤣

That's it I know what I'm doing for my wedding 😂

I wonder how the statement by Catherine Martin today effects the music question. She basically said, sit tight, we are not going to make any decision or give any clarity until the end of August at the earliest, we will figure something out then, probably.

Seems to contradict Donnelly's statement about giving clarity before August 5th - or probably more to the point, lets the cat out of bag on what he is going to say about it - i.e. nothing will change until September at the earliest - we will decide then what we will let you do, probably.

We are less than a week out from the increase in numbers and still no clarity on live music, despite the Minister for Health stating that guidance would be provided. Deeply unsatisfactory.

I would honestly disagree. No clarity provides music for some. If legal clarity comes it's music for none.

The current advice is no live or loud music, which most venues are sticking by.

I know it was mentioned earlier that there were concerns any new advice could be introduced by way of regulations, but to be honest there is little chance of that happening now. The Taoiseach is on the record as stating on multiple occasions that the Government has moved beyond dealing with the pandemic by way of statutory instruments - irrespective of what the Minister for Health stated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

There was a few people here who were due to get married in June and July, would love to hear how ye got on :)

ya, would be interesting to know if hotels allowing some 'spotify music + some dancing' is the norm or the exception!

It seems there be a plan in place by the end of August in relation to the return of live music. Sounds like this would include weddings, but would also go above and beyond that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement