Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Bride/Groom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Unless I misheard the press conference, seems like they'll look at weddings at the end of next month...

I watched the press conference back and the journalist asked the question as the last question out of four she asked. For that reason they forgot to answer it but I think she repeated it again (without microphone) and the Taoiseach said something like “as I said end of the month we’ll reassess”. That previous answer was not about weddings.

Long story short I think it’s as was said above they’ll come back to weddings at the end of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

I'm so disappointed that they didn't even get a mention. I understand why funerals would get preference over weddings, and I would agree they should but for everyone in the wedding industry, all the couples waiting to get married - to not even mention them when talking about how things may be rolled out from May on is so disappointing.

We're going ahead for the first week of May with 6 guests and then a celebration for everyone else later in the year - maybe November or December.

I just can't believe we are still in this situation - who would have thought when rescheduling for a whole year into the future we would be here.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

zedhead wrote: »

We're going ahead for the first week of May with 6 guests and then a celebration for everyone else later in the year - maybe November or December.

I just can't believe we are still in this situation - who would have thought when rescheduling for a whole year into the future we would be here.

Same here. We are going ahead with just two witnesses (trying to pick just six will be a diplomatic nightmare). With variants of covid emerging that the vaccine may or may not be as effective on, we could easily be in a restricted state this time next year as well, so I don't see that we could postpone with confidence. This way, we've got the legal bit done, and a party is quick to organise if we get a window of opportunity.

Neyite wrote: »
    Same here. We are going ahead with just two witnesses (trying to pick just six will be a diplomatic nightmare). With variants of covid emerging that the vaccine may or may not be as effective on, we could easily be in a restricted state this time next year as well, so I don't see that we could postpone with confidence. This way, we've got the legal bit done, and a party is quick to organise if we get a window of opportunity.

I think i am quite lukcy in that my partner only has one brother, and one of my two sisters live abroad so the 6 guests fit both our parents and a sibling each. Its a shame our siblings partners can't be there but at least we get all of our immediate family and no picking and choosing among friends or siblings/family.

I think we are going to pick a date with our venue for the party and if by the end of the year we are still not able to go ahead with a decent number/ music and dancing then we just scrap the idea of a party and swallow the loss of the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ShortAPennt

FYI..... today's press conference.....

Dr Ronan Glynn was asked if there was any change to wedding rules on the horizon - would a couple who are getting married in July perhaps be able to have more than six guests?

He refuses to be drawn on this but says he appreciates that couples have had to postpone their weddings several times. He does not want to promise anything that may not happen.

https://www.rte.ie/news/post/103629702

...... This is extreamly disapointing. We are June and were hoping for 25...... no commitment on more than 6 for July is shocking.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

FYI..... today's press conference.....

Dr Ronan Glynn was asked if there was any change to wedding rules on the horizon - would a couple who are getting married in July perhaps be able to have more than six guests?

He refuses to be drawn on this but says he appreciates that couples have had to postpone their weddings several times. He does not want to promise anything that may not happen.

https://www.rte.ie/news/post/103629702

...... This is extreamly disapointing. We are June and were hoping for 25...... no commitment on more than 6 for July is shocking.....

I can’t blame Glynn for that approach - this is consistent with what Martin stated last night - that wedding numbers would be reviewed at the end of this month and we will just have to wait and see things how things go. It’s not shocking at all.

I for one am thankful in a way that they are being non commital, worst thing for Glynn to do would be to give hope in the form of rumour/speculation (which Varadkar loves to do:mad: ) and then for it not to actually happen in the next round of easing restrictions. THAT would be shocking. They have to wait and see how the numbers pan out over the next month.

I’m hoping for 25 in June too so exact same boat as you btw.

Goose76 wrote: »
    I can’t blame Glynn for that approach - this is consistent with what Martin stated last night - that wedding numbers would be reviewed at the end of this month and we will just have to wait and see things how things go. It’s not shocking at all.

I for one am thankful in a way that they are being non commital, worst thing for Glynn to do would be to give hope in the form of rumour/speculation (which Varadkar loves to do:mad: ) and then for it not to actually happen in the next round of easing restrictions. THAT would be shocking. They have to wait and see how the numbers pan out over the next month.

I’m hoping for 25 in June too so exact same boat as you btw.

I suppose you're right...... it would be worse to commit to something and then back track.... Its just when i read things like this its so disheartening..... I have knots in my stomach thinking about my wedding day..... I know we could look at postpoing but we really want our day in a few weeks.

I thought 25 for June was a realistic number...... at the start of the year though i though 50 would be possible.......I would just be gutted not to get that.....What are the thoughts of the likelyhood of 25 for June? Is my head stuck in the clouds and should i be preparing for 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

I suppose you're right...... it would be worse to commit to something and then back track.... Its just when i read things like this its so disheartening..... I have knots in my stomach thinking about my wedding day..... I know we could look at postpoing but we really want our day in a few weeks.

I thought 25 for June was a realistic number...... at the start of the year though i though 50 would be possible.......I would just be gutted not to get that.....What are the thoughts of the likelyhood of 25 for June? Is my head stuck in the clouds and should i be preparing for 6?

Aw I know exactly how you feel. It used to drive me round the bend but I’ve tried to take my fiancé’s advice which is to just wait and try and not worry until OFFICIAL news comes out instead of listening to all the speculation.

My friend made me feel so much better the other day when she said “if it’s not June at least you know it’ll be some time in 2021” which helped me calm down as well :) I know it’s harder for people who want larger weddings though,

I hope it all works out for you and you feel better soon.

Goose76 wrote: »
    Aw I know exactly how you feel. It used to drive me round the bend but I’ve tried to take my fiancé’s advice which is to just wait and try and not worry until OFFICIAL news comes out instead of listening to all the speculation.

My friend made me feel so much better the other day when she said “if it’s not June at least you know it’ll be some time in 2021” which helped me calm down as well :) I know it’s harder for people who want larger weddings though,

I hope it all works out for you and you feel better soon.

Thank you so much...... i would be happy with 25....... after cutting it from 180.......

You are so right and no point worrying until we get official news.....

Wishing you and us all the best for our June Weddings! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Another blip today when putting a list for 25 ppl together we realised it’ll be nearest thing to a funeral with the age group. Parents Aunts uncles etc are over 75 so don’t think it’s fair to ask a few friends minus their partners to attend esp as our friends wouldnt know each other and would be a boring day for them. So now I’m dreading the meal part as it’ll be an early finish and no dancing etc. I can’t see anyone staying for craic and drinks.

For anyone who has had 25 with just family was it as bad as I’m thinking it will be? My family have never met his so that adds to awkwardness and we wouldn’t have band if it’s just 25 so just a meal. In my head it all sounds very anticlimactic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

We are going t go ahead regardless in May. Finding it next to impossible to get anyone to cater on the day. Local restaurant "don't work mondays" so won't do it. Most Caterers looking for a minimum of between 50 and 75 guests even in level 5 which is laughable. We are not paying close to a grand for 6 or 7 people.

Decided on making food the night before and getting stuff from takeaways, chips garlic bread etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Teach30 wrote: »
    Another blip today when putting a list for 25 ppl together we realised it’ll be nearest thing to a funeral with the age group. Parents Aunts uncles etc are over 75 so don’t think it’s fair to ask a few friends minus their partners to attend esp as our friends wouldnt know each other and would be a boring day for them. So now I’m dreading the meal part as it’ll be an early finish and no dancing etc. I can’t see anyone staying for craic and drinks.

For anyone who has had 25 with just family was it as bad as I’m thinking it will be? My family have never met his so that adds to awkwardness and we wouldn’t have band if it’s just 25 so just a meal. In my head it all sounds very anticlimactic.

I know this depends on how many aunts and uncles you have and how many you're inviting, but would you not invite a small number of friends that would know each other? Or like one friend each with their partner if you're caught with numbers? We're hoping for 25 and have had to ask friends if they're OK with coming without partners and none of them have had an issue, they would all know at least one of the bridesmaids/groomsmen and us - and if there's only 25 we're taking the positive of being able to spend a decent amount of time with each guest ourselves! Our families wouldn't know each other well, they have met alright but have never spent an extended amount of time in each others' company.

I know this depends on how many aunts and uncles you have and how many you're inviting, but would you not invite a small number of friends that would know each other? Or like one friend each with their partner if you're caught with numbers? We're hoping for 25 and have had to ask friends if they're OK with coming without partners and none of them have had an issue, they would all know at least one of the bridesmaids/groomsmen and us - and if there's only 25 we're taking the positive of being able to spend a decent amount of time with each guest ourselves! Our families wouldn't know each other well, they have met alright but have never spent an extended amount of time in each others' company.

Kind of nice to know I’m not only person in similar situation with choosing guests. We split the guests so if I have just my family it’s 9 so making up the balance with aunts/uncles and my partner hasn’t as many to ask but we’d rather not ask friends as we dont think they’d have the craic if it’s only 3 or 4 people on their own who have never met. My friends have never met his and wouldn’t know our siblings either so literally everyone is meeting for the first time including our parents.

I think it’s so different for us because we see our families every day as we still live with them, so it’s not like we need to spend time with our guests if that makes sense. I’d prefer to ask friends over family but obviously can’t do that.

We just need 50 to make it a good day, I just can’t see 25 being any way enjoyable. I’d also love to be able to stop thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

@ Teach, I’m going to say it: your families have never met, despite you both still living with your families, and presumably living close enough to each other to date on at least a reasonably regular basis. Does that not strike you as unusual.

I don’t understand at all how your friends have never met. Surely there’s been birthday celebrations, nights out, engagement drinks/meals.

How on Earth were you going to have, I think, close on 300 guests (maybe it was 180, I seem to recall 280 though) if your families and friends have never met.

qwerty13 wrote: »
    @ Teach, I’m going to say it: your families have never met, despite you both still living with your families, and presumably living close enough to each other to date on at least a reasonably regular basis. Does that not strike you as unusual.

I don’t understand at all how your friends have never met. Surely there’s been birthday celebrations, nights out, engagement drinks/meals.

How on Earth were you going to have, I think, close on 300 guests (maybe it was 180, I seem to recall 280 though) if your families and friends have never met.

I might not have been too clear but we’ve met each other’s friends but each of our groups of friends would never have met!

My family doesn’t do celebrations, birthdays, meals or nights out together etc so our parents would have never had a reason to meet either. We wouldn’t live close to each other so they’d have no reason to meet up. I don’t know is that usual? It’s just really annoying tbh. The big number 300+ is neighbours, cousins, friends work colleagues and partners.

Easier have big numbers at a wedding than small because you’ll find someone to talk to and more of an atmosphere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

I might not have been too clear but we’ve met each other’s friends but each of our groups of friends would never have met!

My family doesn’t do celebrations, birthdays, meals or nights out together etc so our parents would have never had a reason to meet either. We wouldn’t live close to each other so they’d have no reason to meet up. I don’t know is that usual?

I think both of those things are quite unusual, but that's not going to help you at this stage. You said your immediate family brings it up to 9, so you have 3/4 spaces free. Could you invite a group of 3/4 of your friends, all solo? They'll know each other which is really all you need, I've been to big weddings and spent the vast majority of the day with a handful of people. And if you live at home it's likely your friends will also know your family?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Teach, surely you have a few friends who know each other? I'd invite them to make up the numbers, instead of Aunts/Uncles. It sucks that you can't invite their partners, but they'll be happy if they're with a few other people they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 redheadcork

We have a list of 25, we were meant to get married in May but postponed to October. When we started it, I had more aunts, uncles, cousins on it but then I had to think about the atmosphere and dynamics etc and who I could not be without on the day. So I tried to ‘pair up’ people. Most partners not invited except for very close family. My godfather and godmother would know each other, then friends in pairs and putting those pairs of friends together who have met. I wouldn’t be concerned about people not knowing others once they know one person. My fiancé had an aunt and uncle on the list but he hasn’t seen them in years so he won’t invite them.
    If we have 25 I’ll invite people (covid pending) to see me off at the house/ work colleagues outside church. Just an idea to include others.

I think both of those things are quite unusual, but that's not going to help you at this stage. You said your immediate family brings it up to 9, so you have 3/4 spaces free. Could you invite a group of 3/4 of your friends, all solo? They'll know each other which is really all you need, I've been to big weddings and spent the vast majority of the day with a handful of people. And if you live at home it's likely your friends will also know your family?

Thinking about it my friends have never met my family or been to my house they’d know of them but never have met. I’d never have had reason to invite them to the house!

We both feel that by asking just 2 or 3 friends each they’d have a boring enough day for them so we said it might be best to just have family and then have the party for friends afterwards when we can have bigger numbers.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone but I don’t think we can avoid asking friends over family which is very unfortunate and puts a total downer on the “party” after the ceremony in my mind. Really it’s just going to be a meal and then home for 7 or 8 we think. No one will stay for drinks etc.

woodchuck wrote: »
    Teach, surely you have a few friends who know each other? I'd invite them to make up the numbers, instead of Aunts/Uncles. It sucks that you can't invite their partners, but they'll be happy if they're with a few other people they know.

If we have a party for friends afterwards I’d prefer to invite them to that as it’d be better fun. I know what your saying though, and I agree it’d be great to have them at the real day but the cost etc of asking them to attend two separate events puts me off this.

As usual I’m probably completely overthinking it all.

• Advertisement

If we have a party for friends afterwards I’d prefer to invite them to that as it’d be better fun. I know what your saying though, and I agree it’d be great to have them at the real day but the cost etc of asking them to attend two separate events puts me off this.

I think you are overthinking it tbh. If you want them there, just ask them! It's only going to be about 3 friends that you'd be asking to both events. And they can always turn down the second invitation if they really don't want to go to the second event. And hopefully there'll be so many people at the second party that you won't miss them too much IF they don't come.

That's assuming you don't expect 2 invites to result in 2 presents...

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You might be underestimating how starved of social events people are these days and would jump at the chance. :)
    I went to give blood a couple of weeks ago and was ridiculously excited I'd a valid reason to go outside of my 5k, and the nurse who was doing it for me was excited to have a trip to Dunnes in her near future, said she'd been thinking about it all day like it was a big treat. :pac:

So, people are going to get excited about going to your wedding. Or your separate celebration of your wedding. They'll be excited to do the normal thing of putting on a bra makeup, a nice outfit, and have a drink in an actual function room setting, served by a barman. Having a meal served to you, being able to chat to someone that isn't your immediate family. Most of the men will be salivating at the idea of having an actual pint from the tap. You'll have a group of guests who are very happy to just be there, feeling like life is normal for a few hours.

Neyite wrote: »
    You might be underestimating how starved of social events people are these days and would jump at the chance. :)
    I went to give blood a couple of weeks ago and was ridiculously excited I'd a valid reason to go outside of my 5k, and the nurse who was doing it for me was excited to have a trip to Dunnes in her near future, said she'd been thinking about it all day like it was a big treat. :pac:

So, people are going to get excited about going to your wedding. Or your separate celebration of your wedding. They'll be excited to do the normal thing of putting on a bra makeup, a nice outfit, and have a drink in an actual function room setting, served by a barman. Having a meal served to you, being able to chat to someone that isn't your immediate family. Most of the men will be salivating at the idea of having an actual pint from the tap. You'll have a group of guests who are very happy to just be there, feeling like life is normal for a few hours.

I know and I’ve been told this by a few people but it will be very mixed as regards ages and my family don’t drink so will be very tame affair. Like over at 8pm kinda thing and I wouldn’t bother with band or DJ as older generation would find it too noisy.

In my head if I was asked to a similar setup I would probably dread it as I wouldn’t know anyone and would feel awkward but your right others would love the chance to get out. I do feel though if things don’t re-open people won’t have outfits, hair done etc my mother wouldn’t dare buy online and I’d hate for her to feel bad in herself on the day so still considering having it at all if hairdressers etc closed.

We still can’t decide what would be best to do, I get very down thinking about it all so it’s easier to just leave it now for another few weeks and decide then.

I'm struggling to get enthused myself tbh.

Like I said to a family member, it's impossible to plan. Do I pay out for deposits on stuff and cross my fingers that Michael Martin doesn't do a press conference the night before the wedding shutting everything down?

I've booked a dressmaker for next month. While I do some sewing myself I wouldn't feel all that confident taking apart a structured lace fitted dress and reassembling it correctly fitted so hopefully I'll meet with her, discuss the alterations and then book a day in June to do the fitting, when hopefully my exercising will have paid off. Well I already am seeing some results so that's motivating. I was all set to do it during my break times but had someone in to repair an appliance and didn't want to be all purple and sweating in front of a tradie. :o

It is very difficult to be enthusiastic about it. Im looking forward to the day, but all the little admin bits like picking ceremony songs and readings just aren't fun any more.

Plus the added stress of trying to figure out how to get something for my dad to wear. He doesn't have anything that fits him suitable - rental places seem to only do formal wedding suits and he doesn't really want to wear a suit anyway so definitely wouldn't want to buy one. I've told him he doesn't have to wear a suit - to wear what makes him comfortable but I get the impression he doesn't really believe me.

I need to also sort out my diet - not to lose weight or anything (dress alterations are almost done so I guess I just need to not gain anything) but more about clearing my skin up and just feeling a bit healthier. Stress eating is getting to me.

@zedhead I know how you feel with it all being up in the air. I see so many great looking relaxed brides on Instagram and look at photos of friends on their day and I dont feel at all confident to look or act like them at the moment.

The all had perfect hair, makeup, teeth, skin, weight and I know it took preparation to get there but with places being closed I feel like my photos will be awful. Silly I know to be like this but my mind keeps coming back to it and I feel hopeless.

Gonna try keep up the healthy eating and exercise even if I’m not too motivated to move lately.

@zedhead I know how you feel with it all being up in the air. I see so many great looking relaxed brides on Instagram and look at photos of friends on their day and I dont feel at all confident to look or act like them at the moment.

The all had perfect hair, makeup, teeth, skin, weight and I know it took preparation to get there but with places being closed I feel like my photos will be awful. Silly I know to be like this but my mind keeps coming back to it and I feel hopeless.

Gonna try keep up the healthy eating and exercise even if I’m not too motivated to move lately.

Not silly at all. I actually had those fears prepandemic. I don't have fantastic body image as it is and we are paying a lot of money for our photographer - I am terrified of hating all the photos of me. Its now compounded with the fact I am a little over a stone heavier than where I am most comfortable and scared this will show and ruin all the photos. I'd love to think we will get some gorgeous candid ones - but i worry I wont. I have been working on not equating my weight to how i feel a look but its not an easy road when I have been struggling with it my whole life.

Is anyone considering doing a "first look" photoshoot before the ceremony instead of disappearing during the drinks reception to take photos?

I wasn't planning to pre-pandemic, but I'm seriously considering it now. Especially since there's a curfew, it means we can make the most of our day and spend more time with our guests. Because of the curfew, we'll be going from dinner to the "late night" reception at a more accelerated pace - I don't want to be under pressure to get around to everyone during the meal just for the sake of it and it's always more difficult to chat once the loud music starts.

Also, I normally enjoy the drinks reception more than the late night music and dancing anyway. It's a much more chilled atmosphere and you don't have to shout over a band/DJ. We're paying good money for canapes and a live singer during the drinks reception too, so I'd like to be able to enjoy those instead of missing it all. I know we'll still need to take photos with the parents and witnesses during the reception, but that should be much quicker.

The only downside I can think of is that we technically won't be married when we take the couples photos and won't be wearing our wedding rings. But it's still our wedding day and sure we can always exchange rings ourselves for the photos if we want!

Any thoughts?

woodchuck wrote: »
    Is anyone considering doing a "first look" photoshoot before the ceremony instead of disappearing during the drinks reception to take photos?

I wasn't planning to pre-pandemic, but I'm seriously considering it now. Especially since there's a curfew, it means we can make the most of our day and spend more time with our guests. Because of the curfew, we'll be going from dinner to the "late night" reception at a more accelerated pace - I don't want to be under pressure to get around to everyone during the meal just for the sake of it and it's always more difficult to chat once the loud music starts.

Also, I normally enjoy the drinks reception more than the late night music and dancing anyway. It's a much more chilled atmosphere and you don't have to shout over a band/DJ. We're paying good money for canapes and a live singer during the drinks reception too, so I'd like to be able to enjoy those instead of missing it all. I know we'll still need to take photos with the parents and witnesses during the reception, but that should be much quicker.

The only downside I can think of is that we technically won't be married when we take the couples photos and won't be wearing our wedding rings. But it's still our wedding day and sure we can always exchange rings ourselves for the photos if we want!

Any thoughts?

We also considered this as it meant more time with our guests. however one of the most exciting parts of the day for us is the walk up the aisle..... Each to their own but I love that part of the wedding......Its up to you personally, a first look could also help settle any nerves before the ceremony.
    One other thing to think about is if maybe you might like a few moments away from your guests for just the two of you...... I am anticipating the day going like a whirlwind so the opportunity to break away from everyone and have just the two of us might act like a mini "time out" that we might need.

• Advertisement

zedhead wrote: »
    Not silly at all. I actually had those fears prepandemic. I don't have fantastic body image as it is and we are paying a lot of money for our photographer - I am terrified of hating all the photos of me. Its now compounded with the fact I am a little over a stone heavier than where I am most comfortable and scared this will show and ruin all the photos. I'd love to think we will get some gorgeous candid ones - but i worry I wont. I have been working on not equating my weight to how i feel a look but its not an easy road when I have been struggling with it my whole life.

Girls i am feeling the exact same...... so worried that without the army of bridal prep i won't look like the best version of myself for the day in June.... Its so diffuclt as i am a major stress eater. The uncertainty is causing me to reach for all the bad food. That and i feel like we have all been deprived of alot of the "normal" bridal experiences is saying f*ck it have the easter egg.....have the wine and enjoy what you can!

I know that if I knuckled down and lost a little bit of weight it would give me a confidence boost on the day so am really aiming for that..... i don't think as a bride you have to lose weight but for me personally, i know it would not only make me look better in my dress but would give me a real feel-good boost...
    Apart from eating healthy does anyone have anything else they are planning on doing on the lead up to help achieve "the bridal glow"?

Advertisement