Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Bride/Groom

Options

Comments

Out of curiosity, what are you getting for €10 each? Seems quite high for invites!

Some stationary companies create amazing invites, they are like works of art. It's possible Teach is getting hers done from one of those.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Some stationary companies create amazing invites, they are like works of art. It's possible Teach is getting hers done from one of those.

Oh I'm sure! I'm just curious what I could have gotten if I wasn't such a cheapskate! :)

Oh I'm sure! I'm just curious what I could have gotten if I wasn't such a cheapskate! :)

Ah you not a cheapskate! :) We couldn't justify spending a lot of money on the invites. I love the idea of buying really beautiful ones but not the reality. We decided to get savethedate.ie to do ours. The designer, Andreea is lovely to deal with. It's costing about €70 ish I think for 50. We aren't getting a whole suite though, just the invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Out of curiosity, what are you getting for €10 each? Seems quite high for invites!

Would you believe I can hardly remember it’s so long since I spoke with the girl making them! I just liked the look of what she did and didn’t shop around as I didn’t want the hassle. I think it was invitation, envelope, hotel directions etc and rsvp with envelope.

I can’t really get onto her at minute as we haven’t decided if we’ll go ahead or not. If it’s just 6 people I won’t bother with invitations but if it’s 25 I might. Bit of a pain getting 25 done now and then have to get more for when we have proper party for friends.

Although if it’s 25 end of June - which I doubt, it’ll only be family so prob won’t bother with invitations for them either, or would that look very bad?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Ah you not a cheapskate! :) We couldn't justify spending a lot of money on the invites. I love the idea of buying really beautiful ones but not the reality. We decided to get savethedate.ie to do ours. The designer, Andreea is lovely to deal with. It's costing about €70 ish I think for 50. We aren't getting a whole suite though, just the invite.

We're just going for the invite as well. Got beautiful ones done up by Roco and Miley with an illustration of our venue for about €3 each. I was set on getting the illustration from the beginning so was willing to pay a bit more for that but couldn't justify a full suite.

• Advertisement

Have any of you had or are having second thoughts about your wedding dress? :o
    I've heard it can be a thing but my second thoughts are quite persistent. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Lol, yep! Partly because it’s nothing like I thought I wanted and partly I think because I haven’t seen it in so long. I couldn’t collect it due to level 5 restrictions so I saw it last time in July. I deleted all pics and videos of me wearing it too so I wouldn’t be obsessing. And it looks totally different on the model online! I’m pretty hopeful that collecting it trying it on again will remind me how much I love it though, just have to be patient.

What are you concerned about?

Lol, yep! Partly because it’s nothing like I thought I wanted and partly I think because I haven’t seen it in so long. I couldn’t collect it due to level 5 restrictions so I saw it last time in July. I deleted all pics and videos of me wearing it too so I wouldn’t be obsessing. And it looks totally different on the model online! I’m pretty hopeful that collecting it trying it on again will remind me how much I love it though, just have to be patient.

What are you concerned about?

It's a terrible affliction! Do you remember how you felt when you tried it on? That's something I've been trying to focus on but I'm not being successful.
    There is definitely something with the time frame isn't there. It's something that we have to wait months to wear and in to that time goes allsorts of thoughts. Throw Covid on top of that and shure. You were right to delete pics. I have yet to do that.

There was a dress I tried on that I absolutely fell in love with but it was almost 4k and I just couldn't justify such a spend. So I went back to the drawing board. Found my dress and loved it but not quite as much as that other one. Like you Michelle it isn't what I was originally looking for. It has a train and I don't like bustles. It also has straps so I will feel a bit bare. I know my seamstress could do some things to it but sleeves would make it look very fussy. A thicker strap would also mean a big change to the whole back of the dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

No mention of weddings in any of the leaks so far. Announcement tomorrow. How is everyone feeling?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

cazzer22 wrote: »
    No mention of weddings in any of the leaks so far. Announcement tomorrow. How is everyone feeling?

I think it would actually work in my favour right now if they restricted it to just the couple, celebrant and 2 witnesses.

As it stands now, I've relatives who are hell-bent on coming from the UK as intended, so if numbers are limited, the pressure will be on me to sacrifice spots of our own siblings for my aunts and uncles 'who've came all this way' at the ceremony. If I don't, I'll never hear the end of it. We've both got siblings stuck abroad who would need at least one bout of self-paid quarantine to attend and it's a big ask when they've got families of their own, mortgages and travel costs already. We have two more siblings (and families) that likely would not be able to come because they've a vulnerable child who won't have had a vaccine by then. If I postpone I get it in the ear from aforementioned relatives about how they had a wasted journey and no guarantee that 2022 will be in any way different to 2021. I didn't want much for our wedding day, just our families around us to celebrate with us. So there's no option here that gives me that. But I tell myself that there's others who have it far worse. I'm very Meh right now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I don't think there'll be any mention of weddings tomorrow. By all accounts, the focus will be the 5km, construction and getting the remaining kids back to school.

I feel like our only hope for normality now is the vaccine rollout. With the UK variant, it doesn't seem feasible that we'll get down to manageable levels of transmission without widespread vaccination.

I think the government will want to promote domestic tourism for July and August if possible, which essentially means getting down to level 2 in order to achieve intercounty travel. Level 2 would mean 50 guests at a wedding. But who knows if they'll actually stick to the levels or just pick and choose as they please. I could see them possibly allowing intercounty travel over the Summer, but only allowing outdoor dining for example.

I'd love to have 50 guests in September, but we'd settle for 25. My brother is in Canada, but has actually gotten his vaccine now. So I hope there'll be clarity given for people travelling who have been vaccinated. I'd love to have him there if possible. I really hope my parents are vaccinated by September, or they won't be attending. Realistically if they're not vaccinated by Sept, the rollout will have gone to sh1t anyway and we'd probably want to postpone again on safety grounds. I don't want to go ahead myself unless it feels reasonably safe and safety seems to have gone completely out the window with this damn UK variant :mad:

Neyite wrote: »
    As it stands now, I've relatives who are hell-bent on coming from the UK as intended, so if numbers are limited, the pressure will be on me to sacrifice spots of our own siblings for my aunts and uncles 'who've came all this way' at the ceremony.

Jesus, they must be some bunch if they can't understand the concept of the restrictions and that you'd choose your siblings over them!! I'd be absolutely telling them where to go if it comes down to that, but I know it's easier said than done.

It's possible their flights are flexible anyway? I've heard that airlines are generally being more flexible with bookings these days, so that people aren't afraid to spend their money on bookings.
    I didn't want much for our wedding day, just our families around us to celebrate with us.

I know, tell me about it. I've always been so cynical of weddings. I'd always be rolling my eyes at some of the things you see at the typical large Irish weddings. I just wanted a small gathering of close family and friends. A chilled out day with good company, food and music. That's it! Apparently that's far too much to ask atm...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

We've decided that if there isn't any clarity by June we're going to scrap it and just have a civil ceremony by ourselves. We're booked for October, but don't want another summer like last year waiting on tenterhooks to find out what's happening. On top of that we're living on the continent, so have no idea what will happen with regards travel or when we'll be allowed home this year.

Realistically if we can't get back at some point in August it will be incredibly tight, dresses need to be fitted and suits bought, and a few other bits and pieces that got lost in the last cancellation.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

woodchuck wrote: »
    Jesus, they must be some bunch if they can't understand the concept of the restrictions and that you'd choose your siblings over them!! I'd be absolutely telling them where to go if it comes down to that, but I know it's easier said than done.

It's possible their flights are flexible anyway? I've heard that airlines are generally being more flexible with bookings these days, so that people aren't afraid to spend their money on bookings. .

Oh it's a ferry and yes, it's very flexible- I checked the website of the ferry company they are using. Trust me this is only the latest in a long line of drama from them that preceded the pandemic by years. They'd get a years worth of drama out of a teaspoon.

I found out at the weekend my sister is planning her wedding for 2022 VERY secretly and will likely only let the cat out of the bag at the bare minimum of notice and it's probably soley down to all the crap I had to put up with in the planning.

wrote:
    I know, tell me about it. I've always been so cynical of weddings. I'd always be rolling my eyes at some of the things you see at the typical large Irish weddings. I just wanted a small gathering of close family and friends. A chill out day with good company, food and music. That's it! Apparently that's far too much to ask atm...
    It's an impossible ask right now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

I think there is little to no chance there will be any mention of weddings tomorrow. The only possibility if they ease the numbers on funerals they may consider wedding too, but that is wishful thinking.
    I just want to know so I can actual focus on the next 6 weeks and what I can do for my 6 guest wedding.
    Neyite wrote: »
    I think it would actually work in my favour right now if they restricted it to just the couple, celebrant and 2 witnesses.

As it stands now, I've relatives who are hell-bent on coming from the UK as intended, so if numbers are limited, the pressure will be on me to sacrifice spots of our own siblings for my aunts and uncles 'who've came all this way' at the ceremony. If I don't, I'll never hear the end of it. We've both got siblings stuck abroad who would need at least one bout of self-paid quarantine to attend and it's a big ask when they've got families of their own, mortgages and travel costs already. We have two more siblings (and families) that likely would not be able to come because they've a vulnerable child who won't have had a vaccine by then. If I postpone I get it in the ear from aforementioned relatives about how they had a wasted journey and no guarantee that 2022 will be in any way different to 2021. I didn't want much for our wedding day, just our families around us to celebrate with us. So there's no option here that gives me that. But I tell myself that there's others who have it far worse. I'm very Meh right now.

That is so tough, i would absolutely be telling people in no uncertain terms that they should cancel any flights now as you and your partner want any siblings who can be there, there. Its your day and its sh*t enough you have to cut numbers so much, you want the few you can have there to be the most important people to you!!

zedhead wrote: »
    That is so tough, i would absolutely be telling people in no uncertain terms that they should cancel any flights now as you and your partner want any siblings who can be there, there. Its your day and its sh*t enough you have to cut numbers so much, you want the few you can have there to be the most important people to you!!

I was told " we are coming regardless, wedding or no wedding, we need a holiday" :pac: Which is grand. There's no issue with that.

The issues will start when I'm having a stripped down wedding with 6 people and I'll get "Oh we'll just sit down the back of the church and not be any bother" or if I ask my mother to keep it a secret they'll all fall out with her for sneaking off to see me get married when they came for the wedding. Or getting offended and falling out with us because we expect them to adhere to the covid guidelines and rules because they don't feel they apply to them.

I'm well used to them, and no longer give two fcuks what kind of tizzy they work themselves into. Usually what happens is that my mother and I fall out over me not bending over backwards for them which is nothing I can't handle but will be a PITA nonetheless and just an added aggravation that I don't need while trying to pull off a pandemic wedding. I'm going to offend people regardless so I might as well go out in a blaze of glory :D

I can’t see wedding as being priority in the next announcement. I’m utterly depressed about the whole thing and can’t even bring myself to consider how depressing a day it will be. I feel no joy towards the event if it is 6 or even 25ppl. My family are zero help and can’t understand why I would need to get dress, invitations flowers etc organised now for end of June. Wouldn’t two or three weeks beforehand be time enough is what my sister said to me.

Between that and trying to figure out when & how to move my belongings to the house we’ll be living in I’m in a state over it all. Trying to see what do will we do after the church, do we just go to our new house or do we go away for a few days. Do I bother with a dress and photographer. It’s all such a waste of my life trying to figure it all out. Sorry for rant but no one else I know, family etc gives a fk.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AppleD

Teach30 wrote: »
    I can’t see wedding as being priority in the next announcement. I’m utterly depressed about the whole thing and can’t even bring myself to consider how depressing a day it will be. I feel no joy towards the event if it is 6 or even 25ppl. My family are zero help and can’t understand why I would need to get dress, invitations flowers etc organised now for end of June. Wouldn’t two or three weeks beforehand be time enough is what my sister said to me.

Between that and trying to figure out when & how to move my belongings to the house we’ll be living in I’m in a state over it all. Trying to see what do will we do after the church, do we just go to our new house or do we go away for a few days. Do I bother with a dress and photographer. It’s all such a waste of my life trying to figure it all out. Sorry for rant but no one else I know, family etc gives a fk.

Whatever you do then, just suit yourself! Also if I was you- I would plan to go away for a few days- air b n b even. You will be able to do that in June, sure people are doing air b n b now. You could book a hotel break, with free cancellation and no stress then if you can't go or change your plans.

AppleD wrote: »
    Whatever you do then, just suit yourself! Also if I was you- I would plan to go away for a few days- air b n b even. You will be able to do that in June, sure people are doing air b n b now. You could book a hotel break, with free cancellation and no stress then if you can't go or change your plans.

Thanks you, I would t love to out the whole thing off and let someone else plan it but unfortunately We can’t wait another year. Your right I’ll look up someplace to go, I’d prefer a hotel as it would mean I wouldn’t have to worry about food etc.

I’m so sick of antagonising over it all and having to consider all the possible options when at the end of the day with small numbers it’s just going to be such a waste of money and more stressful than if we could have the 280+

I’m a very negative person and come from a very negative - always think the worst type of family so hard to see any positive for next few months the o only stress and worry.
    Booking a night away for night of wedding might help give me something to look forward to although knowing my luck nothing will be reopened by then.

I don't think that anyone who isn't actually planning a wedding gets the difficulty. And it's not us being negative, it's the whole situation. Like trying to put a fence up in sand that's constantly shifting.

Like, do you book a hairdresser/makeup and risk losing your deposit if it becomes illegal overnight and means you can't get your money back? Ditto for photographer, venue, videographer. Or if dressmakers stay shut, how can you alter the dress you spent €€€ on? Do you go to the expense of 100 invites but might only need to send 6? Do you buy three bridesmaids outfits that will go to waste. Favours? Flowers? etc
    Now I was going low key on the vast majority of that so was unaffected by most of those conundrums but even my planning was constantly up in the air and will be.

And that's before the usual irritating relatives who think your wedding day is all about them. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

AppleD wrote: »

This is another thing im really sad about, not being able to get away for a couple of nights after the wedding. We can stay the n ight of the wedding in the venue but thats it unless they open up hotels etc in the announcement which I don't see happening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Disappointing that there wasn't any mention of weddings and easing of restrictions in the Taoiseach's announcement. Non the wiser as to what the plan is in the months ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Disappointing that there wasn't any mention of weddings and easing of restrictions in the Taoiseach's announcement. Non the wiser as to what the plan is in the months ahead.

We had been holding out for with a tiny glimmer of hope for our wedding in the first week of May but that's not going to be happening. Hard to know when to reschedule for when there's been 0 indication provided on when they're even going to consider it..

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Did they move to 25 people at funerals and leave weddings at 6?

There was a brief period last year where more people were allowed at a wedding than a funeral.

Raisins wrote: »
    Did they move to 25 people at funerals and leave weddings at 6?

There was a brief period last year where more people were allowed at a wedding than a funeral.

Yes, they said it'll move from 10 to 25 mourners at a funeral. No mention of weddings increasing from 6 guests.

There was a very brief period last year when more people were allowed at a wedding than a funeral, but they corrected that pretty quickly. I don't see it going the other way though. To be fair, I think funerals should take priority over weddings.

We had been holding out for with a tiny glimmer of hope for our wedding in the first week of May but that's not going to be happening. Hard to know when to reschedule for when there's been 0 indication provided on when they're even going to consider it..

I'm sorry, I know the uncertainty is the absolute killer. We changed from mid-May to mid-September. As much as I don't like MM, his speech was actually unusually positive for once. I'm feeling ever more slightly hopeful about September now! There was talk of hotels possibly reopening in June for example. As more of society reopens, weddings restrictions should ease alongside that (number of guests at the very least).

Unless I misheard the press conference, seems like they'll look at weddings at the end of next month...

Unless I misheard the press conference, seems like they'll look at weddings at the end of next month...

I was watching the announcement and didn't hear that?

Full speech written here and I don't see it:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0330/1207071-taoiseach-speech/

Oh sorry, you could be right, heard elsewhere he was asked about it afterwards.

woodchuck wrote: »
    I was watching the announcement and didn't hear that?

Full speech written here and I don't see it:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0330/1207071-taoiseach-speech/

Oh sorry, you could be right, heard elsewhere he was asked about it afterwards.

I think it was Zara King asked it during the press conference, which only seemed available on twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

They appear to have abandoned the level system for living with Covid as well, making it even more unclear what will happen next. Weddings haven't got a single mention, anywhere. Incredibly frustrating, but the show must go on. 10th of April with 6 people here we come!

Advertisement