Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

That’s not a terribly accurate characterisation of the politics of partition. The civil war wasn’t fought over the border issue, as there were misconceptions on both pro- and anti-treaty sides about what shape partition would take (most assumed NI would end up smaller and more homogeneous, and, very questionably, that this would render it economically unviable.) The civil war was long over by the time the contents of the Boundary Commission report came to light (which was of course repressed, and so the treaty’s provisions regarding partition were never fully implemented).

Nor can we say that in signing up to the GFA republicans were finally accepting this outcome. The delicately balanced powersharing provisions, commitments on policing reform, concessions on prisoners, and guarantee that London would respect a democratic mandate to withdraw from the island of Ireland enabled republicans to commit to the pursuit of their aim—the end of partition—through constitutional means. I don’t disagree with you that Ireland would ultimately do what it needed to to protect its position in the SM, but you can’t call what came out of the peace process “accepting the outcome” of a British imposed partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

As far as I'm aware there's never been any talk here in the UK of Ireland leaving the single market.Any talk of that has come from EU sources.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Enough of the soapboxing and the snide comments. You've had plenty of warnings about this already. Next time, it'll be a ban.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Posts by rereg and responses removed.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭28064212

RE: OECD predictions - yes that's true, the UK is expected to have it's fastest period of growth since 1941... immediately after having its worst contraction in 300 years. This fastest period of growth will still leave them lagging behind the rest of the G7 into 2025.

“The United Kingdom could suffer the biggest reduction among G7 countries (a decline of 0.5 percentage point per annum), in part reflecting the additional adverse supply-side effects from 2021 following Brexit.”

The report also warns that “increased border costs following the exit from the EU single market will continue to weigh on foreign trade”.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/may/31/uk-growth-upgraded-but-oecd-warns-of-deepest-economic-scar-in-g7-brexit-covid-19

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Are you joking? We are literally discussing yesterday's tweet from DC where the powers that be in UK intended to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The idea of Ireland being forced out of the Single Market (to facilitate Brexit) has always been a ludicrous one - it's not as if Ireland is some tiny and insignificant part of the EU either, it's one of the net contributors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I'd be cautious believing anything that cummings has to say. He's obviously still smarting from his ignominious fall from grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,675 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yet he continually provides emails and text messages showing this conversations are what occur....

Everyone know he loves nothing more than the limelight. But the discussions all occur. The Tory government is nothing more than a bunch of empty talking heads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

But he kept his records - particularly where the bodies are buried. I assume he still has plenty of embarrassments left for Johnson and his chums.

Maybe the UK Gov would not be so concerned about controlling their borders if Eton had kept better control of their boarders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

He's probably telling the truth about Johnson and how dysfunctional the government was / is.

But he also seems a quite deluded egomaniac. Effectively saying 'Everything would have turned out fine if only people had listened to me and implemented all of the things I wanted'. No government in the world operates like this, basing its entire strategy, vision and forward planning on the ravings of one solitary individual (and not least an unelected government adviser).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The more i hear from Cummings, the more I'm reminded of the old Matthew Broderick film where a bunch of kids somehow hack the military code and almost end up starting a nuclear war. How the hell did he ever get into the positions of power he did? There's no vision, no clear guide as to how to make the world a better place. It's just starting fires and implementing chaos and then going into "error correction" mode. There's no way he thought it could ever happen.

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1419413026646732801?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭swampgas

Looks like the transportation crisis might get worse in the UK, as drivers consider going on strike ...

I doubt it will stick, but it shows the level of frustration among the drivers.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/24/lorry-drivers-plan-to-strike-over-low-pay-and-poor-working-conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 26,092 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Threatening sanctions is equally stupid, unlawful and dangerous because, of course, if the UK does violate the Treaty the EU must use the procedures laid down in the Treaty itself for addressing the dispute.

You seem very keen for the EU to escalate this dispute, raise the temperature, engage in Brexiter-type bluster and threats, etc. Oddly enough, the Vote Leave government is also keen for this, and has been trying for months to provoke it

I'm wondering why you're aligning yourself with Vote Leave in this way?

Look, you're right. I was oversimplifying the position; the Civil War wasn't primarily about partition, and I agree that Republicans who later reconciled themselves to its outcome - whether Fianna Fáil in 1927 or Sinn Féin in 1998 - were not thereby accepting partition.

But what the civil war was about was whether Ireland should act to maximise the sovereignty it could actually attain (i.e. accept the 1921 Treaty, and dominion status for the 26 counties) or hold out for total sovereignty (a 32-county republic) and thereby put in real jeopardy the attainment of any sovereignty at all. As we know the "we'll take what we can get" crowd won out. Dev later bought into this, participated in the politics of the Free State, used exclusively constitutional means to enlarge Irish sovereignty in the 1930s, continued to oppose partition but refrained from the use of force or unlawful means to oppose it.

And the modern republican movement made essentially the same decision in the 1990s.

Right. If the UK acts in ways which lead to a hardening of the border in Ireland, so intensifying partition, what can we do? We can avoid the hardening of the border by allowing the UK to force us out of the Single Market - an effective substantial diminution of our sovereignty, allowing the UK to determine our foreign relations - or we can remain in the Single Market, allow the consequences of the UK's choice to unfold, hold the UK responsible for that, and oppose it by constitutional and lawful means.

And, I'm suggesting, the consistent arc of Irish history for the last hundred years tells you which choice we'll make. We'll act so as to protect and maximise our sovereignty, which means that we won't let the UK force us out of the Single Market, even if the tactic used by the UK for that purpose is an intensification of partition.

Dominic Cummings is talking about it right now, saying that Vote Leave's strategy for avoiding a hard border would rely on forcing trade and regulatory barriers between Ireland and the EU-26. And he's not the first voice in the UK to have suggested this.

EU voices have generally oppose it. Macron (who Cumming says would have forced Ireland to do this) is actually on record as saying that the UK cannot be allowed to force the erection of trade barriers within the Single Market. People who claim that the EU talk about this are listing to the likes of Cummings pontitificating about what Macron would do rather than paying any attention to what Macron himself says.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

And much more importantly IMO, given the threats, the Republic is a bulwark of liberal democracy and civil liberties. The EU needs more Irelands and fewer Hungarys.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had meant to post this prior to the boards upgrade. Here it is now...

Another possible loss to the UK due to Brexit. OpenStreetMap, a UK based organisation is facing several issues mainly due to Brexit including the lack of an agreement between the UK and the EU on database protections...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The whole system of election used by the UK for EU Parliament election was based on a list system where voters voted for parties and not individuals, and the party chose the order of election for those candidates. Obviously Farage put himselft top of the list. You could say the he personally was never elected to any political position, since his election was as a result of votes for his party.

The UK political parties make sure they control elections and not the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

It looks like Johnson et al are determined to continue the fight with the Eu

UK rejects EU’s Northern Ireland moves, saying Brexit deal must be renegotiated | Brexit | The Guardian

Assuming the NI protocol will not be fully implemented by UK, what will be the next step for the Commission? Can it begin imposing fines or does it moves to impose tariffs or levies?

Having lived through a previous hard border on this Island, i imagine it will be disruptive but not a disaster for the average person. Not too sure about the large agribusiness concerns where milk etc. crosses the border many times as it is being processed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Funny how often I've read these things, and Ireland is again not a chief beneficiary of a Brexit-caused relocation as for one reason or another, we don't have what's needed to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Those Cummings tweets are interesting alright.

They appear to finally confirm that supposedly outre/fringe ideas were actually a core strategy of important people close edit: to Boris Johnson.

I think I've had people reply to me before on this thread that the UK would not act in such a malicious way towards its neighbours incl. Ireland; these suggestions are only coming from swivel eyed loons in the Tories and the yellow tabloid press etc.

Has strategy changed with Cummings being banished? I doubt it. UKs recent actions suggest not. The powers that be here would want to take note of it all, realise what it means for UK/Ireland relations while this fairly extreme UK govt. last and wake up + pay attention IMO. Era of hands across the water and the Queen visiting is well and truly over, we're back in "Economic War" period levels of distrust.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Back to the way things have been for much of history really. The John major/Tony Blair/ Gordon brown / David Cameron period is probably an outlier period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

It's very depressing. I really hope you are wrong about that. Unfortunately it looks like the current UK government is going to be around for quite a while and destroying things is much easier than fixing them up afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭yagan

The way I read the UKs latest strop is "UK government rejects deal it negotiated!"

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Frost and Johnston reject Frost and Johnston agreement and want to renogoiate Frost and johnston agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

any link to the EU's counter proposals they sent yesterday. The Guardian mentions them but doesnt link to them and was wondering what the EU offered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Haha, that is exactly it. It's quite bizarre. It's almost like a pantomime at this stage...

There was all this build up to the release of the UK 'Command Paper' (sounded very powerful), with the photos of Johnson at his desk signing something while the slightly dishevelled Lord Frost loitered behind, and then... nothing. The EU just said 'sorry, but no'.

I think that is the bit where we are supposed to laugh in the pantomime.

Bit of an anti-climax for Johnson, but then his fans don't understand Northern Ireland. Or the protocol. Or the EU. But then nor did his government. After 5 years of Brexit.

You do have to wonder why Johnson and Frost are continuing to poke the protocol and the border issue (and by extension the wider EU agreement, and any potential US trade deals), but it may be as simple as they didn't know what the hell they were doing, and still don't. Self made crisis to crisis, while also keeping someone, anyone else to blame. They do look very stupid while they do this though.

Interesting to note Arlene Foster is joining GB News. In turn, she will presumably do her best to blame Ireland and the EU for all NI's perceived woes, while ignoring the fact NI voted against Brexit, the majority in NI would likely rather get on with implementation, and that the protocol could actually be good for NI... Perhaps too good.

Like Johnson, Foster demands the 'UK get everything cherry unicorn scenario', while taking absolutely no responsibility for the outcome of Brexit. Her rage should really turn inwards given her awful leadership propped up the Tory government, and her party proceeded to then vote down the only Brexit which could have avoided the sea border. It is unequivocally all her fault. I wonder will she broadcast from home, or if she is already beginning the process of her threat to quit NI. She will be joining mean spirited Andrew Neil, Brexit hero Nigel Farage and intellectual Michelle Dewberry to enthrall tens of viewers.

On Dominic Cummings foray into Twitter... Don't get me started. The man's ego knows no bounds, nor does his shame. For a man who styles himself as some revolutionary intellectual, he doesn't half talk a load of shıte.

Dominic Cummings... Director of Vote Leave. Man who says on his Twitter bio 'why did I do the referendum'. The chief advisor to Boris Johnson, the mastermind, says 'I dont know if Brexit is a good or bad, I just fix problems'.🤦🏼‍♂️

Let's also not forget Johnson's consultation process for NI protocol rollout.

This is all the EU's fault. How dare they, and they better now fix it.

Advertisement