Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wimbledon 2021 Monday, June 28 - Sunday, July 11 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭klr87

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    They'll have to tell Boris to finish up, they want BBC1 back! Zverev went over on his knee, can't see this one going over 3 sets without a minor miracle.
    For a moment, I thought you meant "Broom Broom" Boris (Becker), who is doing the Zverev-FAA match with Andrew Cotter. :eek:

But that BoJo news conference is not the problem, as it will finish in a few minutes. It's all the programmes that come after on BBC1 that cannot be dropped*. They could be shunted over to BBC2 maybe, but what if there are two matches ongoing?

*And none of which I would ever, ever watch, as in the likes of The One Show or - God forbid - Eastenders,

Anyway, Zverev seems to be OK, and is a break up, but then he was in the first set as well. I think the fact that the BBC are staying with this match means they've already decided to dispense with poor old Roger and Centre Court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

klr87 wrote: »
    For a moment, I thought you meant "Broom Broom" Boris (Becker), who is doing the Zverev-FAA match with Andrew Cotter. :eek:

But that BoJo news conference is not the problem, as it will finish in a few minutes. It's all the programmes that come after on BBC1 that cannot be dropped*. They could be shunted over to BBC2 maybe, but what if there are two matches ongoing?

*And none of which I would ever, ever watch, as in the likes of The One Show or - God forbid - Eastenders,

Anyway, Zverev seems to be OK, and is a break up, but then he was in the first set as well. I think the fact that the BBC are staying with this match means they've already decided to dispense with poor old Roger and Centre Court.
    I think BBC2 stays on the tennis for the duration, and I thought they might drop some of those "indispensable" programmes for a match such as Raducanu?

Anyway, you're right, I wasn't concentrating for about 15 mins, and Zverev is doing a Lazarus! He might save the BBC's blushes yet :D

And maybe Fed will have to put up with being shunted to the red button?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Gauff is coming along ok, so much hype about her but that's not her fault and I think it leads to somewhat unfair perceptions about her. Today she just met an inspired Angie Kerber who is turning back the clock this past week. I'd pretty much written her off as a top contender but on that display she could well go very close here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Gauff is coming along ok, so much hype about her but that's not her fault and I think it leads to somewhat unfair perceptions about her. Today she just met an inspired Angie Kerber who is turning back the clock this past week. I'd pretty much written her off as a top contender but on that display she could well go very close here.

Yeah no need for Gauff to panic at all. I don't think she is as good as the hype (how could anyone) but can't be far away from reaching a grand slam quarter.

She seems good on all surfaces which obviously helps.

Kerber was very good today yep.

Her v Muchova will be a lovely match.

Agreed, I've no problem with Gauff the player or the person - she seems quite level headed for her age. But the hype turns me off, it's like the future of American tennis is being built around her.

Once Angie got her mojo back by winning in Germany the week before last, she immediately became a factor at Wimbledon. She plays her best tennis by far on fast surfaces, Gauff on slower surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

C__MC wrote: »
    How boring is this men's championship
    Djockovic cantering to this title

It's the hope that someone will beat him that kills you in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Augme

If you just ignore the fact Djokovic will win it and a canter and just focus on the tennis then the rest of the games are actually very entertaining and even.

Now it's raining, play suspended on CC and C1 while the roofs close. It could be a late night on both.

The real loser here could be the winner of the Raducanu - Tomljanovic match, who will play Barty tomorrow. Barty played first on CC, and finished her match hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Now it's raining, play suspended on CC and C1 while the roofs close. It could be a late night on both.

The real loser here could be the winner of the Raducanu - Tomljanovic match, who will play Barty tomorrow. Barty played first on CC, and finished her match hours ago.

Tough on Sonego to come out and serve at break point down, (it's virtually set point), surely they could have stopped play at deuce. Agree that Barty has a big advantage over tonight's winner, surely they should try to schedule the matches in so far as possible no one gets an unfair advantage

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Tough on Sonego to come out and serve at break point down, (it's virtually set point), surely they could have stopped play at deuce. Agree that Barty has a big advantage over tonight's winner, surely they should try to schedule the matches in so far as possible no one gets an unfair advantage

They obviously for commercial reasons wanted Radacanu as late as possible but its backfired on the 2 players hugely.

The match should have been before Zverev v FAA which had always potential to go really long.

• Advertisement

Sonego double fault hands Federer first set, although he still made hard work of it. Thought it very unfair on Sonego that play was stopped at break point down

Disappointed bbc aren't going back to the FAA and Zverev match given they shown it all u til now.

They'll have to tell Boris to finish up, they want BBC1 back! Zverev went over on his knee, can't see this one going over 3 sets without a minor miracle.

Another one of mine that aged well :rolleyes:

Zverev breaks back for 2-2 in 5th

Augme wrote: »
    Disappointed bbc aren't going back to the FAA and Zverev match given they shown it all u til now.
    Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of BBC scheduling. Every time you think they've finally got it right, they go and do something like this.

Maybe there's a rule somewhere that says Fed has to get some prime-time coverage every match he plays :rolleyes:

Like the people on Henman Hill (who have a split screen to look at), I am watching both matches at once.

Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of BBC scheduling. Every time you think they've finally got it right, they go and do something like this.

Maybe there's a rule somewhere that says Fed has to get some prime-time coverage every match he plays :rolleyes:

Like the people on Henman Hill (who have a split screen to look at), I am watching both matches at once.

No doubt they'll drop Federer's match when Raducanu match starts

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

And not even a partial order of play for tomorrow issued yet unlike all other days! (unless they give the heads up to the players privately).

All a bit over the top on account of a player who hadnt played a GS match until a week ago!

Zverev out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Poor Raducanu. The pressure on her

The schedule clash will be redundant soon I'd say..... Fed up 3-0 in 3rd, 2 breaks

• Advertisement

B2021M wrote: »
    And not even a partial order of play for tomorrow issued yet unlike all other days! (unless they give the heads up to the players privately).

All a bit over the top on account of a player who hadnt played a GS match until a week ago!
    You would think the winner of the upcoming match must play Barty second on Centre, no matter who it is. Barty is the #1 seed after all (so it should be on Centre), and it can't be first, to give tonight's winner more time to recover. If they were going to try and be fair, it shouldn't start before (say) 5 or even 6 pm, but that's not the Wimbledon way.

Federer and Sonego look nearly identical at a difference, so the only way to tell them apart is by who gets the cheers when they win a point.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Poor Raducanu. The pressure on her
    The only good news on that score is that Tomljanovic is a notorious choker, which is why she was so freaked out by Ostapenko taking a break when she (Tomljanovic) was 4-0 up in the third. Tomljanovic does not handle pressure well.

Nervous start here from Raducanu. Needs to settle down.

Settled into it very quickly, actually amazed how comfortable she seems out there. Relishing it so far.

It was always likely to end up with as Djokovic vs Berrettini in the final and then the Goatovic will likely win and take yet another fragment of Federer's soul for his collection.

Soon there will be so little of it left, to the despair of the Fed-tards!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

You would think the winner of the upcoming match must play Barty second on Centre, no matter who it is. Barty is the #1 seed after all (so it should be on Centre), and it can't be first, to give tonight's winner more time to recover. If they were going to try and be fair, it shouldn't start before (say) 5 or even 6 pm, but that's not the Wimbledon way.

Federer and Sonego look nearly identical at a difference, so the only way to tell them apart is by who gets the cheers when they win a point.

Yep. I forgot she was playing Barty due to the fact that they werent scheduled today at a similar time! Definitely second on Centre tomorrow so.

• Advertisement

Not surprisingly, the quality is poor: Raducanu has at least hit a few winners so far, Tomljanovic none. Somewhere, Ostapenko may be looking at this, not knowing whether to laugh or cry.

B2021M wrote: »
    Yep. I forgot she was playing Barty due to the fact that they werent scheduled today at a similar time! Definitely second on Centre tomorrow so.
    The schedule is out, and the winner of this match plays last on Centre, not before 4:30pm. The Medvedev - Hurkacz match is to finish first, then Jabeur - Sabalenka.

Not surprisingly, the quality is poor: Raducanu has at least hit a few winners so far, Tomljanovic none. Somewhere, Ostapenko may be looking at this, not knowing whether to laugh or cry.

2 very nervous players it was always going to be like this. The one that can get rid of the nerves will win.

a lot of balls hit long on both sides under not a lot of pressure.

Shame, she was better player majority of that set from my dodgy eyes anyway. Just didn't take her chances to break when she had them and then faded in the end.

• Advertisement

Raducanu like like she's going to throw up since the last changeover....

Khachanov, FAA and Fucsovics all won in five sets today and they are playing opponents who all won in three sets. Big ask to comeback out the next day and compete to a high level.

Raducanu doesn't strike me as looking like she's going to mount a comeback here

Raducanu like like she's going to throw up since the last changeover....

She definitely doesn't look well

Tomljanovic will be loving this.

Tomljanovic will be loving this.

Or it could be wrecking her head, second match in a row

That was sarcasm.

But not now!

Wasn't expecting that ending

Raducanu retires, obviously not wanting to face the wrath of Tomljanovic.

Joke obviously ...

Raducanu retires, obviously not wanting to face the wrath of Tomljanovic.

Joke obviously ...

The scheduling did for raducanu. She should have been on first today and not left waiting around for hours. No wonder the poor girl got sick.

• Advertisement

Wonder if it was a panic/anxiety attack. Was taking very short breathes out there.

Wonder if it was a panic/anxiety attack. Was taking very short breathes out there.

It was the build up of waiting around all day to play. She should have been on first.

The Brit media obviously don't help. And now straight away talking about how amazing she is going to be in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The Brit media obviously don't help. And now straight away talking about how amazing she is going to be in future.

They're the same with the football team too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

No doubt this is what it was. Doesn't bode well for her future if she can't even handle being in a 4th round match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭BQQ

Might well be Covid either

Rob2D wrote: »
    No doubt this is what it was. Doesn't bode well for her future if she can't even handle being in a 4th round match.

Ah think you are being unfair there. It was everything around it. The waiting around all day, the build up and the pressure on her at her first big tournament. She should have been on first and the more experienced put on later. Screw the tv got to protect the young players.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Ah think you are being unfair there. It was everything around it. The waiting around all day, the build up and the pressure on her at her first big tournament. She should have been on first and the more experienced put on later. Screw the tv got to protect the young players.

Agree, waiting around all day certainly didn't help her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

I'm sorry but no. If that's truly the case then someone needs to sit her down after this and give her a serious dose of tough love. She couldn't deal with it today and now the other girl moves on for free. She either hardens up or the next girl who wants it will move past her too. Simple. End of.

During the delay she should have been excited, not able to wait to get out there. If she really was sitting around just dreading it then she shouldn't be playing on the world stage. She'll be eaten alive by girls who want to be there.

Granted she was thrown into the deep end but this is going to be her only chance to learn from the shock. I hope she takes it.

• Advertisement

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Agree, waiting around all day certainly didn't help her

Would have been interesting to know Toml's views if she lost as obviously not great for her either.

Luckily for her she is third on court tomorrow and tonight's game did not go the distance.

Anyhow on tomorrow, I'd be getting concerned for Barty if she doesn't handle Tomljanović easily enough. Not see much of Golubic so won't comment to much on that match but about time Pliskova put a run together at this slam.

The other 2 matches though look great, Kerber whose defense is incredible against Muchova who has so much skill while Jabeur with all her variety against Saba with all the power.

Advertisement