Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2021 Monday, June 28 - Sunday, July 11 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Well done Fucsovic, but I just can't see how he troubles Novak at all.

Maybe a close first set , but unless Novak has physical issues it should be very easy. It won't reflect well on the tour that its possible he may reach the semi final without even breaking sweat.

It's a very lopsided draw though, all the players he'd want to avoid on the other side really. I think he'd beat them all anyway but the chances of an upset are even less likely when he can breeze through to the final. The top 4 seeds in the bottom half of the draw all through to the quarter finals, the top 4 in the top half outside of Djokovic all out already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

It's a very lopsided draw though, all the players he'd want to avoid on the other side really. I think he'd beat them all anyway but the chances of an upset are even less likely when he can breeze through to the final.

fair point.

Its not helped that Rublev who is a fine player and who won Halle has been patchy all event, even if he won today at his current level he probably would have been battered.

Very nice win for Shapo today though. I think he could be a pain for Novak in a semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It's a very lopsided draw though, all the players he'd want to avoid on the other side really. I think he'd beat them all anyway but the chances of an upset are even less likely when he can breeze through to the final. The top 4 seeds in the bottom half of the draw all through to the quarter finals, the top 4 in the top half outside of Djokovic all out already.

Djokovic can only beat what's in front of him, he has got a very kind draw, but, that's the luck of the draw. It is a pity it's so lopsided it would at least make it a bit more interesting, but, tbh I'd say even if he had to play the rest of the top 8 seeds in each round he'd still win it. Also the top 4 seeds in the bottom half are not through to the QF yet (Medvedev looks in control of his match,but, Zverev currently down) so might be an unset there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Sorry, getting slightly ahead of myself with the rounds there. I've probably jinxed Federer there too, I've only seen Sonego play once before against Djokovic in Rome and he looked fairly good that day so wouldn't be shocked to see him win tonight.

Sorry, getting slightly ahead of myself with the rounds there. I've probably jinxed Federer there too, I've only seen Sonego play once before against Djokovic in Rome and he looked fairly good that day so wouldn't be shocked to see him win tonight.

on a hell of a run is Sonego.

I have had a bet on him so fully expect a routine win for Roger now.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Kerber completes a "routine" 6-4 6-4 win over Gauff, and a CC crowd massively favouring the American.

The BBC could be in a right pickle if the Federer and Raducanu matches clash. They must be praying that Federer swats aside Sonego, and Zverer-FAA goes 5 sets.

Zverev in big trouble, 2 sets down and not serving well

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

klr87 wrote: »
    Kerber completes a "routine" 6-4 6-4 win over Gauff, and a CC crowd massively favouring the American.

The BBC could be in a right pickle if the Federer and Raducanu matches clash. They must be praying that Federer swats aside Sonego, and Zverer-FAA goes 5 sets.

They'll have to tell Boris to finish up, they want BBC1 back! Zverev went over on his knee, can't see this one going over 3 sets without a minor miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

glad she got knocked out, comes across as a spoilt brat

fryup wrote: »
    glad she got knocked out, comes across as a spoilt brat
    I disagree!

I think (like most players these days) she's deep in concentration and might look moody/bad-tempered/spoilt for the duration of a match - but her smile lights up straight after, and I've only ever heard her being generous and a polite girl outside of play (not very much, admittedly, so if she's thrown strops or been mean, maybe I just haven't heard about it).

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    They'll have to tell Boris to finish up, they want BBC1 back! Zverev went over on his knee, can't see this one going over 3 sets without a minor miracle.
    For a moment, I thought you meant "Broom Broom" Boris (Becker), who is doing the Zverev-FAA match with Andrew Cotter. :eek:

But that BoJo news conference is not the problem, as it will finish in a few minutes. It's all the programmes that come after on BBC1 that cannot be dropped*. They could be shunted over to BBC2 maybe, but what if there are two matches ongoing?

*And none of which I would ever, ever watch, as in the likes of The One Show or - God forbid - Eastenders,

Anyway, Zverev seems to be OK, and is a break up, but then he was in the first set as well. I think the fact that the BBC are staying with this match means they've already decided to dispense with poor old Roger and Centre Court.

For a moment, I thought you meant "Broom Broom" Boris (Becker), who is doing the Zverev-FAA match with Andrew Cotter. :eek:

But that BoJo news conference is not the problem, as it will finish in a few minutes. It's all the programmes that come after on BBC1 that cannot be dropped*. They could be shunted over to BBC2 maybe, but what if there are two matches ongoing?

*And none of which I would ever, ever watch, as in the likes of The One Show or - God forbid - Eastenders,

Anyway, Zverev seems to be OK, and is a break up, but then he was in the first set as well. I think the fact that the BBC are staying with this match means they've already decided to dispense with poor old Roger and Centre Court.
    I think BBC2 stays on the tennis for the duration, and I thought they might drop some of those "indispensable" programmes for a match such as Raducanu?

Anyway, you're right, I wasn't concentrating for about 15 mins, and Zverev is doing a Lazarus! He might save the BBC's blushes yet :D

And maybe Fed will have to put up with being shunted to the red button?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Gauff is coming along ok, so much hype about her but that's not her fault and I think it leads to somewhat unfair perceptions about her. Today she just met an inspired Angie Kerber who is turning back the clock this past week. I'd pretty much written her off as a top contender but on that display she could well go very close here.

Gauff is coming along ok, so much hype about her but that's not her fault and I think it leads to somewhat unfair perceptions about her. Today she just met an inspired Angie Kerber who is turning back the clock this past week. I'd pretty much written her off as a top contender but on that display she could well go very close here.

Yeah no need for Gauff to panic at all. I don't think she is as good as the hype (how could anyone) but can't be far away from reaching a grand slam quarter.

She seems good on all surfaces which obviously helps.

Kerber was very good today yep.

Her v Muchova will be a lovely match.

Agreed, I've no problem with Gauff the player or the person - she seems quite level headed for her age. But the hype turns me off, it's like the future of American tennis is being built around her.

Once Angie got her mojo back by winning in Germany the week before last, she immediately became a factor at Wimbledon. She plays her best tennis by far on fast surfaces, Gauff on slower surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Panrich

C__MC wrote: »
    How boring is this men's championship
    Djockovic cantering to this title

It's the hope that someone will beat him that kills you in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭Augme

If you just ignore the fact Djokovic will win it and a canter and just focus on the tennis then the rest of the games are actually very entertaining and even.

Now it's raining, play suspended on CC and C1 while the roofs close. It could be a late night on both.

The real loser here could be the winner of the Raducanu - Tomljanovic match, who will play Barty tomorrow. Barty played first on CC, and finished her match hours ago.

Now it's raining, play suspended on CC and C1 while the roofs close. It could be a late night on both.

The real loser here could be the winner of the Raducanu - Tomljanovic match, who will play Barty tomorrow. Barty played first on CC, and finished her match hours ago.

Tough on Sonego to come out and serve at break point down, (it's virtually set point), surely they could have stopped play at deuce. Agree that Barty has a big advantage over tonight's winner, surely they should try to schedule the matches in so far as possible no one gets an unfair advantage

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Tough on Sonego to come out and serve at break point down, (it's virtually set point), surely they could have stopped play at deuce. Agree that Barty has a big advantage over tonight's winner, surely they should try to schedule the matches in so far as possible no one gets an unfair advantage

They obviously for commercial reasons wanted Radacanu as late as possible but its backfired on the 2 players hugely.

The match should have been before Zverev v FAA which had always potential to go really long.

• Advertisement

Sonego double fault hands Federer first set, although he still made hard work of it. Thought it very unfair on Sonego that play was stopped at break point down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭Augme

Disappointed bbc aren't going back to the FAA and Zverev match given they shown it all u til now.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Another one of mine that aged well :rolleyes:

Zverev breaks back for 2-2 in 5th

Augme wrote: »
    Disappointed bbc aren't going back to the FAA and Zverev match given they shown it all u til now.
    Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of BBC scheduling. Every time you think they've finally got it right, they go and do something like this.

Maybe there's a rule somewhere that says Fed has to get some prime-time coverage every match he plays :rolleyes:

Like the people on Henman Hill (who have a split screen to look at), I am watching both matches at once.

Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of BBC scheduling. Every time you think they've finally got it right, they go and do something like this.

Maybe there's a rule somewhere that says Fed has to get some prime-time coverage every match he plays :rolleyes:

Like the people on Henman Hill (who have a split screen to look at), I am watching both matches at once.

No doubt they'll drop Federer's match when Raducanu match starts

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭B2021M

And not even a partial order of play for tomorrow issued yet unlike all other days! (unless they give the heads up to the players privately).

All a bit over the top on account of a player who hadnt played a GS match until a week ago!

Zverev out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Poor Raducanu. The pressure on her

The schedule clash will be redundant soon I'd say..... Fed up 3-0 in 3rd, 2 breaks

• Advertisement

B2021M wrote: »
    And not even a partial order of play for tomorrow issued yet unlike all other days! (unless they give the heads up to the players privately).

All a bit over the top on account of a player who hadnt played a GS match until a week ago!
    You would think the winner of the upcoming match must play Barty second on Centre, no matter who it is. Barty is the #1 seed after all (so it should be on Centre), and it can't be first, to give tonight's winner more time to recover. If they were going to try and be fair, it shouldn't start before (say) 5 or even 6 pm, but that's not the Wimbledon way.

Federer and Sonego look nearly identical at a difference, so the only way to tell them apart is by who gets the cheers when they win a point.

Advertisement