Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2021 Monday, June 28 - Sunday, July 11 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Delighted Kyrgios lost, one less cúnt in the competition.

Was looking forward to giving the tennis my full attention tomorrow only to then find out it's next year that they'll be playing on the first Sunday :rolleyes:

Anyway, that women's last 16 line-up is looking quite decent actually. Would be happy with either Barty, Gauff, Kerber or Swiatek/Sabalenka making the final from their halves. Having said that it'll probably end up being Tomljanovic-Golubic or something.

Men's side is decent too, but all feels very futile when it's simply a question of can any of them stop Djokovic. Heck, I'd even take them making the final competitive.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Manic Monday schedule

E5ZmZkiXoAEgQNy?format=jpg&name=medium

Think Swiatek-Jabeur is worth more than 11am on court 2 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Manic Monday schedule

E5ZmZkiXoAEgQNy?format=jpg&name=medium

Think Swiatek-Jabeur is worth more than 11am on court 2 tbh.

I think the girls are happy to get playing early as pretty sure the winner plays Tuesday?

I don't know what ladies game you move from the 2 showcourts, Barty the number 1 seed v the french champion or the teenage UK sensation? Gauff is also pretty popular at Wimbledon and facing a previous champion so that's also a very juicy match up.

Its a little annoying but not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I'd say Swiateks happy enough tbh. Hardly any focus on her at all, just swinging along quietly with minimum of fuss and expectation. Meanwhile, all the pressure being heaped on gauff and barty in particular. Not to mention the new young british next big thing. Not a bad position to be in imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I think the girls are happy to get playing early as pretty sure the winner plays Tuesday?

I don't know what ladies game you move from the 2 showcourts, Barty the number 1 seed v the french champion or the teenage UK sensation? Gauff is also pretty popular at Wimbledon and facing a previous champion so that's also a very juicy match up.

Its a little annoying but not the end of the world.
    Court 2 will be the main focus for the first couple of hours, before the two big show Courts come online. After Jabeur's performance against Muguruza on Friday, it's very likely the BBC will prioritise this match. Court 2 has seen some great second Monday morning women's matches in the past, especially the Cibulkova - Randwanska epic in 2016.

Overall, it's a really good schedule. There are both women's and men's matches spread throughout the day. Too often on this second Monday, they aggressively front-load the women's matches in the morning, with the last women's match finishing mid-afternoon. The situation was reversed for the men. So if you particularly wanted to watch either the women or the men, there was a large part of the day when there was no match to watch, and another part where there were too many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

glasso wrote: »
    Kyrgios (a) didn't seem too bothered in the on-court interview and said something along the lines of (b) not being surprised about getting injured having just come back to play high-level tennis.

wish they'd wouldn't have those on court interviews, its just not Wimbledon:o

players just wanna get off court asap esp those who lose....maybe if one of them went into a f bomb rant they might do away with it

B2021M wrote: »
    I think it was about court maintenance (although i suspect it was originally for religiois reasons).

As far as i know they changed the type of grass to a more durable one and that is why they can do it now. It may also be why they can start at 11am now too (as possibly any dew dries quicker?)
    Religious convention had a lot to do with it. Until 1980 or so, it was very rare to have any organised sport on a Sunday in the UK. The men's singles final at Wimbledon, the final round of the British Open in golf: They were held on Saturday. Football matches on a Sunday were almost unheard of. I remember being a bit shocked when the Brighton - Liverpool FA Cup tie in 1983 was played on a Sunday, because I'd not seen that happen before (not that I was that old at the time).

The 11am start time for outer courts is quite recent, and also very likely due to the change in grass, as you've mentioned.
    Girly Gal wrote: »
    I'd say they didn't want to be seen to be dropping a women's match for men's sports (football or Cilic v Medvedev match), there won't really be any backlash for dropping the Cilic v Medvedev match even though that's the match they should have stayed with.

Medvedev is a strange player, on the one hand looks like he could potentially reach the final, but, also looks like
    he could lose the next day out.
    They are probably very gun-shy about just dropping a women's match for a men's match, or any other treatment of the women that could be construed as off-hand or sexist.

As I recall, the BBC took a lot of flak (and rightly so) over how it handled the last set of the Annika Beck vs Heather Watson 1st round match in 2016. Because of the fixture congestion over the weather, played started early at 11am on the outer courts on the Thursday - this may have been before the change in grass mentioned above. The start of the BBC2 coverage remained stubbornly at 11:30. Once coverage started, they showed the match from where it resumed at 1-0 in the 3rd, until it concluded 90 minutes later, Beck winning 12-10 (and saving a triple match point at 9-10 0-40). Only then did it become apparent the coverage had been delayed by 30 minutes or so, because they had wanted to show play on BBC2 from the point of resumption. Some viewers realised what was happening, many didn't, and had no reason to. Ironically, anyone browsing via the Red Button could have watched it in real time, if only they'd known. The feeling was this would not have happened if it had been a men's match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

I think in 2004 we had middle Sunday action

Just watched the Tomjlanovic-Ostapenko flare up. One thing i don't get is they have an mto countdown clock and it had run down to zero and there was still no sign of Ostapenko for more than a minute later. Next time they showed it, it was seemingly stuck on 0.27 for some reason, which Tomljanovic queried but i did not hear the response. As one of the commentators said, what's the point of having the clock if the player simply returns when they feel like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭B2021M

C__MC wrote: »

It has happened about three or four times due to bad weather in the first week. Definitely in 1991 and i think 97? too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Just watched the Tomjlanovic-Ostapenko flare up. One thing i don't get is they have an mto countdown clock and it had run down to zero and there was still no sign of Ostapenko for more than a minute later. Next time they showed it, it was seemingly stuck on 0.27 for some reason, which Tomljanovic queried but i did not hear the response. As one of the commentators said, what's the point of having the clock if the player simply returns when they feel like it?

their was a debate about this tactic when Muchova vanished for ten minutes v Barty in Australia and returned and played lights out tennis.

Nobody is ever going to admit to gamesmanship, but because its been abused so much, they have to start thinking about penalties.

C__MC wrote: »
    And in 2016, But those were unscheduled, to catch up with a fixture backlog.

The other thing that always held them back from using middle Sunday was objections from the residents. I wonder how they got around that one? Probably strict limits on the number of courts, spectators and matches.

their was a debate about this tactic when Muchova vanished for ten minutes v Barty in Australia and returned and played lights out tennis.

Nobody is ever going to admit to gamesmanship, but because its been abused so much, they have to start thinking about penalties.

Definitely penalties if players exceed the time limit anyway i would think. A point for every minute over maybe, or something like that. Otherwise the clock is meaningless.

Bbc showing sabalenka game instead of swiatek-jabeur. Not great for non red button viewers!

Agreed.

You could argue that since Muchova played much better after the MTO, maybe she really needed it. But that cuts no ice with me: MTOs are supposed to be for injuries during the course of a match (such as Williams and Mannarino last week). If Muchova really wanted to take an MTO in that match against Barty because she was "unwell", she should have had to concede at least a one game penalty, the exact penalty perhaps depending on the length of the MTO. That would put a stop to a lot of questionable MTOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Bbc showing sabalenka game instead of swiatek-jabeur. Not great for non red button viewers!

ESPN showing the Khachanov/korda match.

There are streams ... just saying ;) Don't know if I'm allowed to post them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Floppybits

klr87 wrote: »
    Agreed.

You could argue that since Muchova played much better after the MTO, maybe she really needed it. But that cuts no ice with me: MTOs are supposed to be for injuries during the course of a match (such as Williams and Mannarino last week). If Muchova really wanted to take an MTO in that match against Barty because she was "unwell", she should have had to concede at least a one game penalty, the exact penalty perhaps depending on the length of the MTO. That would put a stop to a lot of questionable MTOs.

They need to tighten up the rules around the MTO so that Ostapenka did the other day and other have done cannot be done again, things like the trainer can only come out between change of ends unless the umpire makes an exception like what happened with Serena the other day. There should be no way that a player can just sit down like Ostapenka did.

Jabeur should have taken that set there on serve - couldn't close it out.

really should have.

not a fan of those baggy skirt-jobs that Swiatek has on (which seem to be common with other players also) -> when they are carrying a spare ball and have it scrunched around the spare ball looks like they have a white rubbish bag fashioned into a makeshift skirt around their arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That was a very nervy first set by Swiatek and Jabeur..... narrowly taken by Swiatek.

Be interesting to see who settles first in the second - I'm hoping Jabeur can get into her stride, I'm loving her tennis!

• Advertisement

There are streams ... just saying ;) Don't know if I'm allowed to post them here.

It's alright, have the iga match but stuck watching on my phone. Better than nothing.

Jabeur let that slip but impressive enough from Swiatek, might charge on now this second set.

Break in game 1 for Jabeur...... now, can she hold on to it this time???

Double break for Jabeur - come on, girl!!!

glasso wrote: »
    Jabeur should have taken that set there on serve - couldn't close it out.

really should have.

not a fan of those baggy skirt-jobs that Swiatek has on (which seem to be common with other players also) -> when they are carrying a spare ball and have it scrunched around the spare ball looks like they have a white rubbish bag fashioned into a makeshift skirt around their arse.
    That's been the story of Jabeur's career, the lack of a killer instinct when closing out a set or a match. It's why she wasted so many break points against Muguruza.

Both players seem to be sporting something of a retro look.

BBC seeing the light, switching to this match as Jabeur takes a double break.

That's been the story of Jabeur's career, the lack of a killer instinct when closing out a set or a match. It's why she wasted so many break points against Muguruza.

Exactly it. Really high quality all the way up to the clutch points and then gets all tight. If she could be more clinical, she'd be a serious contender.

Jabeur reminds me of sanchez-vicario but with a much better drop-shot and less grunt

She was the OG grunter really

6-1 Jabeur in the second :eek:

Game on!

Jabeur didn't waste any time levelling.

Grab some refreshment while Swiatek (presumably) heads to the nearest convenience.

Rybakina levels against Sabalenka, likewise Khachanov against Korda. Berrettini is the only player dominating this morning.

• Advertisement

Jabeur gone favourite on the books, fair enough really. Serve doesn't look much but so effective when she's getting a good percentage in. Swiatek didn't kick on like i thought but she just got blitzed there and no idea what the response will be now.

Advertisement