Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2021 Monday, June 28 - Sunday, July 11 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Jabeur gone favourite on the books, fair enough really. Serve doesn't look much but so effective when she's getting a good percentage in. Swiatek didn't kick on like i thought but she just got blitzed there and no idea what the response will be now.
    Jabeur has now won a lot of service points in a row, and as I say that, the streak is broken.

Rybakina had a really bad call against her, but eventually won the game.

Double on a break point is poor

Can Jabeur move on to take it without letting Swiatek back in now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

klr87 wrote: »
    Jabeur has now won a lot of service points in a row, and as I say that, the streak is broken.

Rybakina had a really bad call against her, but eventually won the game.

Jabeur serve is winning this for her. I don't think I've seen her serving this well before, never realised what a potent weapon it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

5-1 Jabeur..... serving for the set with new balls.....

Jabeur now 5-1 up, serving with new balls. She's 7/7 on break points today.

• Advertisement

Ah, delighted with that for a result!!

I'm a big Swiatek fan, but Jabeur was just brilliant today, I just love watching her.

And Iga might be persuaded to pull her skirt out of her knickers now :(

Wow. That was easy in the end for Jabeur. Holding in that one dodgy service game at 3-1 pretty much sealed it.

was very efficient on the break points today in fairness

that and the serve quality uptick made all the difference.

glasso wrote: »
    was very efficient on the break points today in fairness

that and the serve quality uptick made all the difference.
    And saving 12/15 break points on her own serve. Sabalenka (just won) might expose that serve more, but I think Jabeur could tie her up in knots with all that trickery.

No reason to fear anybody now. Sabalenka is the kind of one dimensional opponent jabeur could easily drive to distraction and was fairly clinical in the end today so keeps that up no reason she can't be champion. Would be one of the great stories if she did it.

• Advertisement

Who's the Aussie commentator calling her Rubarikina? The least she could do is get her name right (unless there's some odd Swiatek- style pronunciation that I'm not aware of?)

The volume out of Sabarenka is incredible, and not in a good way. And she looked downright rude to a ball boy at the end there.

Hope she meets her comeuppance against Jabeur, but I fear that might not be......

ETA the two posts above have cheered me up a bit though!!

I haven't been a big watcher of tennis in recent years, so not all that familiar with a lot of the players' styles.... really enjoying getting back into it!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Who's the Aussie commentator calling her Rubarikina? The least she could do is get her name right (unless there's some odd Swiatek- style pronunciation that I'm not aware of?)

The volume out of Sabarenka is incredible, and not in a good way. And she looked downright rude to a ball boy at the end there.

Hope she meets her comeuppance against Jabeur, but I fear that might not be......

I haven't been a big watcher of tennis in recent years, so not all that familiar with a lot of the players' styles.... really enjoying getting back into it!
    Liz (or is it Louise?) Plemming. Wouldn't it be ironic if people called her Fleming by mistake? ;)

Sabalenka is good but she's pure raw aggression and sometimes her radar goes and she's no plan b. Hence her rather modest slam record even given her relative youth. I think it's a guaranteed 3 setter most likely and if pushed I'd back jabeur.

I think Louise Pleming is a former Aussie pro but had never heard of her before last week tbh.

Is there only one BBC red button channel these days?? I seem to remember there being loads more a while back..... that might have been for an Olympics though...

I was enjoying the Korda match, but they've switched to Shapovalov now :(

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Sabalenka into the QF's for the first time, now the monkeys off her back she could go all the way.

Rain rain everywhere.

very fleeting appearance it seems

back on

Korda and Khachanov seemingly unable to hold serve in their final set. 8 breaks, and it's 5-5.

Are you watching the Korda match somewhere?

Another break for 6-6.

I'm reduced to watching the scores on the Wimbledon ticker on Google :(

Another break for 6-6.

ESPN if you have it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

A dozen breaks of serve now.......

• Advertisement

Korda holds and gets a standing ovation for it :pac:

Another break for 6-6.

It's on BBC2 now, but delayed a few minutes, although I think they announced that.

There are various streaming links to the BBC feeds ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭C__MC

How boring is this men's championship
    Djockovic cantering to this title

And Karen takes it. Shame. Korda would've been the much more interesting player to go through. He doesn't seem too phased by anything. Whereas Kachanov will probably get steamrolled by whoever in the next round.

Gauff due on court for singles and doubles at almost the exact same time. Surely some scheduling mishap there!

Looking a bit dark grey and windy in Wimbledon.... I hope the covers pullers are primed and ready ......

Gauff due on court for singles and doubles at almost the exact same time. Surely some scheduling mishap there!
    It won't come to that, those doubles matches can always be moved around to give players a breather.

Meanwhile, in the boy's singles, there is a young Swede called Leo Borg. He even looks a bit like his dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Well done Fucsovic, but I just can't see how he troubles Novak at all.

Maybe a close first set , but unless Novak has physical issues it should be very easy. It won't reflect well on the tour that its possible he may reach the semi final without even breaking sweat.

klr87 wrote: »
    It won't come to that, those doubles matches can always be moved around to give players a breather.

Meanwhile, in the boy's singles, there is a young Swede called Leo Borg. He even looks a bit like his dad.

Yeah, obviously she can't play them both at the same time! Still, i imagine she's going to get a short break after this and then its straight to the doubles match. Not ideal, but she's young i guess so maybe no bother to her.

• Advertisement

No holds of serve yet in the Gauff Kerber game, 5 games in ..... tis a day for breaking, it seems!!

Advertisement