Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Now lockdowns are back on the cards if this scary new variant causes an increase in case and hospital numbers

****ing sick of it all. Tony knows well the covid cert would be a ****ing nightmare for places and in turn places refusing to open cause of it. Tony says the Virus loves Alcohol, more like he doesn't like Alcohol and wants to kill the culture

And your source for this is..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭MOR316

And your source for this is..?

Tony Holohan said it today, that he won't rule it out

MOR316 wrote: »
    Tony Holohan said it today, that he won't rule it out

Ah okay, so not ruling it out now means it's guaranteed. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭MOR316

Huh? I never said anything...I was just replying to your post :confused:

The other poster said they're back on the cards. The poster never said they were guaranteed and that was made clear today

They'll probably happen though, given their track record. In my opinion of course

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭xl500

Covid pass works in other Countries no problem but our Publicians dont want it

Probably because they couldnt ram their premises way above the numbers allowed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Dickie10 wrote: »
    its hard not to see tony and his zealous mission against alcohol for what it is, but I just wonder why he has never been as zealous in anti "sale of alcohol" in supermarkets and off licence, he seems to really be gunning for nightclubs and pubs and old man pubs more than just the sale of alcohol in general.

You're dead right. The evidence doest fit the claim that the rules are driven by Tony being anti-alcohol. Onwards and upwards to the next conspiracy theory, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

xl500 wrote: »

Doesn't make sense, there is no limit on vaccinated people meeting so if they had the cert implemented they can ram as many as they like in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The Irish state can't even put together a Covid pass for 1.5 million vaccinated to travel freely in the EU when the rest of Europe has already done it..

So if you're looking for someone to blame then look to FFFG-NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mikekerry

With tonys track record "not ruling it out" means another lockdown guaranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭HBC08

mightyreds wrote: »
    Doesn't make sense, there is no limit on vaccinated people meeting so if they had the cert implemented they can ram as many as they like in.

Sigh,
    There are limits in a pub or restaurant vaccinated or not.

• Advertisement

HBC08 wrote: »
    Sigh,
    There are limits in a pub or restaurant vaccinated or not.

Yeah no ones allowed in at the minute , so no capacity but as far as i know theres no other plans till July 19th

MOR316 wrote: »
    Huh? I never said anything...I was just replying to your post :confused:

The other poster said they're back on the cards. The poster never said they were guaranteed and that was made clear today

They'll probably happen though, given their track record. In my opinion of course
    Apologies, read the post wrong :o

Given we are still in a pandemic, lockdowns are always "on the cards" - in other words a possibility. But with the vaccines being so effective, the probability of another lockdown is extremely low IMO. Anyway, I digress, for this thread is about pubs! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

So they're flouting the rules but also don't want a rule brought in that could let *some* people indoors which would be a great mask for letting lots of people who aren't vaccinated indoors if one was to flout the rules because it doesn't let them pack the pubs while following the rules??
    That is some all over the shop logic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

No the owners of licensed premises have responsibilities as they are running a licensed premises and they are required to run it properly and in accordance with the law why should Gardai have to be going around pubs the owners should be running it in accordance with the law and if not then they could lose license

Did you report transport company to the Gardai

And how do you think the process of losing their license happens? Do you think the all-knowing magic license fairy hands them out to pubs, but takes them back from the naughty ones?

If you've got a problem with a particular pub, you're perfectly free to object to their license renewal to you local Circuit Court. There's even a handy guide on how to do it. Or since the objection might carry more weight from the Gardai, you could save them having to go around pubs by reporting the specific pub with an issue.

Of course, since courts deal in facts, either of those you require actual evidence relating to a specific premises. Rather than general rants about how all publicans are evil moneygrabbers who probably grease people up on the way in so they can jam as many as physically possible inside.

(As far as the transport company goes, given Irish Rail are a monopoly, unfortunately I'm not aware of any similar method by which it's possible to object to them being the operator of a particular route. I suspect if it was they'd be long gone. )

mightyreds wrote: »

No they cant every premises has a max number under their license but this is not easy to enforce but with covid pass very easy to see how many have entered so therefore not as easy to be in breach of allowed numbers

I suspect this has a lot to do with the Vitners objections

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

No they cant every premises has a max number under their license but this is not easy to enforce but with covid pass very easy to see how many have entered so therefore not as easy to be in breach of allowed numbers

This magic "Covid pass" system just won't be done in Ireland, at least not anytime soon, there's no database or app or set of laws/rules in place for it, so you can keep having a pop at Publicans and the Vintners but it doesn't change the fact that the Government should have a system like this rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

PTH2009 wrote: »
    NPHET should be put back in there box after the stuff that's happening this week

I was chatting with a mate on Wednesday and we were saying the same thing, we thought the furore from publicans, restauranteurs and the public in general about delaying opening up would result in them putting NPHET back in their box.

But then yesterday happened and what we saw was an absolute tour de force by Tony Holohan in seizing back the narrative and scaring the sh1te out of the country all over again. Even look at the headlines on the newspapers today, they are all generated by him. What he did was a remarkable flexing of his power.

At this stage we essentially have two governments, a political one and a health only one. Holohan has his platform with his daily press conferences and all media present and if he doesnt like what the politicians are saying he uses those pressers to scare people and seize back the initiative. Its pretty remarkable really.

Ah right I thought we were chatting within the confines of covid restrictions not general restrictions on numbers, I've no argument with that

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    This magic "Covid pass" system just won't be done in Ireland, at least not anytime soon, there's no database or app or set of laws/rules in place for it, so you can keep having a pop at Publicans and the Vintners but it doesn't change the fact that the Government should have a system like this rolled out.

Not having a pop at them just pointing out they are objecting to the covid pass and saying it's unworkable etcetc even if one was ready now to go

So what's they objections if they want to open safely as they say they do then make sure everyone who enters your premises is vaccinated including staff and with the vaccine now being rolled out to younger age groups what's the problem oh of course people would know how many enters the premises can't have that can we

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭brickster69

News from Northern Ireland

Pubs and Hotels can apply to open until 2am up to 104 nights per year;
    Smaller pubs will be able to open to 1am up to 104 nights per year;
    Drinking-up time will be increased to 1 hour;

All roads lead to Rome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,916 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lucky buggers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

That's general licensing laws from later this year for some and 2022 for others, nothing to do with covid.

Sure there's a bill to be presented here soon with later licensing hours going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 9,707 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Nice to see them finally play catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Should have set up a few pubs as vaccine centres. Two pints of lager and a vaccine please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Can't help but be very concerned about the sharp upward trend in hospitalisations when looking at the 7 day average. 77% of cases Delta variant.

Looking more and more like we'll see a tightening of restrictions rather than an easing. A shame. A lot of irresponsible publicans serving takeaway pints with no care as to the consequences have only themselves to blame in my opinion. A shame.

At this stage nothing will stop Delta becoming the only form of Covid infection here. Bring on Vax Passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Here in limerick what I've seen over the last couple of weeks is that any pub with a smoking area has it converted to outdoor drinking. Pubs that were closed since March 2020 have opened up even 'old man's pubs' . Purely to trade and have some kind of normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Can't help but be very concerned about the sharp upward trend in hospitalisations when looking at the 7 day average. 77% of cases Delta variant.

Looking more and more like we'll see a tightening of restrictions rather than an easing. A shame. A lot of irresponsible publicans serving takeaway pints with no care as to the consequences have only themselves to blame in my opinion. A shame.

Yawn!

Here in limerick what I've seen over the last couple of weeks is that any pub with a smoking area has it converted to outdoor drinking. Pubs that were closed since March 2020 have opened up even 'old man's pubs' . Purely to trade and have some kind of normality.

Same in many places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Muahahaha wrote: »
    At this stage we essentially have two governments, a political one and a health only one. Holohan has his platform with his daily press conferences and all media present and if he doesnt like what the politicians are saying he uses those pressers to scare people and seize back the initiative. Its pretty remarkable really.
    For me the real issue is them leaving it right to the last minute, after publicans have spent 10-15 grand getting in stock. This is well beyond the level of wishful thinking prevaelant among even politicans so deliberate malace has to be assumed.

Advertisement