Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭xl500

Quite fond of the sweeping generalisation, aren't we?

This view is a microcosm of society at present, which basically translates as "I've seen some people/sectors/industries breaking rules, so all people/sectors/industries should suffer as a result".

Not really I just have to Look at what happened at Christmas and I know a Leopard wont change its spots that quickly

Honestly I think Ireland is governed by the 'Irish science' of NPHET. Holohan should have resigned in 2018 over smear testing, but even without him they seem to assume positions on testing, formulate models and projections which no reasonable person could endorse, which includes scientific opinion outside this tiny isle. That Ireland is the only place in Europe where you cannot drink at the bar should mean something to those who think NPHET are gods of science, when they are essentially spoofers. I really hope this means the end of FFail, a party which has done so much harm (not that the rest are much better0.

Well the last time the Politicans ignored his advise a lot of people died and the Health system came close to collapse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

xl500 wrote: »
    Well the last time the Politicans ignored his advise a lot of people died and the Health system came close to collapse

Love how the likes of yourself always leave out house visits and people being allowed to come home from England, during late November and December and bringing that English variant with them, when talking about Christmas.

You also leave out Tony Holohan himself saying that NPHET didn't even see it coming...

But yeah, whatever suits your argument I guess. :)

MOR316 wrote: »
    Love how the likes of yourself always leave out house visits and people being allowed to come home from England, during late November and December and bringing that English variant with them, when talking about Christmas.

You also leave out Tony Holohan himself saying that NPHET didn't even see it coming...

But yeah, whatever suits your argument I guess. :)

I wasnt actually arguing I was just saying that NEPHET advised before Christmas not to open up the Pubs Politicans ignored that advise and we are where we are

Cases went up immediatly I remember when there were 500 Cases only 12 were the English Variant so People now try to say oh we didnt see it coming well he did because he advised not to open up and that was before the english variant

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-57638936

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

I wasnt actually arguing I was just saying that NEPHET advised before Christmas not to open up the Pubs Politicans ignored that advise and we are where we are

Cases went up immediatly I remember when there were 500 Cases only 12 were the English Variant so People now try to say oh we didnt see it coming well he did because he advised not to open up and that was before the english variant

No, that's not what they advised...

They gave three scenarios...

1. Open up hospitality and ban household visits
    2. Don't open hospitality and allow household visits
    3. Open up everything for a few weeks but, it'll result in 1000-1500 cases a day.

What happened, by his own admission, they never saw coming. No one did!

I have friends who I went to college with. They work in England. They came home and it spread all over two surrounding towns that I live near.

The "English variant" was talked about around mid November time so they knew...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭aziz

Apparently the large outbreak of delta in and around dungarvan in co Waterford was caused by people returning from the uk for a funeral

So I can’t have a meal or pint indoors but no checks on what’s coming into the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The elephant in all this is government credibility.

The way hospitality was treated last summer with a constant stream of 2,3,4 week reviews had a clear message: Politics as usual, broken promises, etc. After that there was only one way "Level-5 to save xmas" was going to end: Rules will be broken, as they always have been in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The last time there wasn't anyone vaccinated and it was winter...

If you look at the history of the Health Service in Ireland it's ALWAYS close to collapse!
    We were told to lockdown to allow the health service to increase capacity and staff numbers.... that hasn't happened either.

Meanwhile they keep a large sector of the Irish economy closed based on some very dodgy predictions/modelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭bladespin

What happened the 'English' variant that was going to wipe us all out???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Would have happened with or without opening up. That wave had already started, just as the Delta wave, or to be more accurate, 'blip' is starting. Ongoing vaccinations means there will be no wave of hospitalisations, with or without opening up. But the increase in cases will be enough for NYPHET to stall opening up until seasonality kicks in. I don't see pubs opening now without a vaccination cert system until next year. Pubs could have been open for at least May without any major rise in cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭aziz

bladespin wrote: »

Was replaced by delta that is going to wipe us all out,which in turn will be replaced by lambda which will wipe us all out,etc,etc,etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The last time there wasn't anyone vaccinated and it was winter...

If you look at the history of the Health Service in Ireland it's ALWAYS close to collapse!
    We were told to lockdown to allow the health service to increase capacity and staff numbers.... that hasn't happened either.

Meanwhile they keep a large sector of the Irish economy closed based on some very dodgy predictions/modelling.

Id did, capacity anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    T

ICU capacity has increased, by 25%.

The HSE have recruited thousands in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Probably even more variants on the way. However, if enough of us are vaccinated they won't have such an impact in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

saabsaab wrote: »
    Probably even more variants on the way. However, if enough of us are vaccinated they won't have such an impact in the future.

more variants on the way lol, am sure you are wet dreaming about them can you get a life, all countries around us are more open, havent met 1 person last 2 days who thinks we are doing the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

aziz wrote: »
    Apparently the large outbreak of delta in and around dungarvan in co Waterford was caused by people returning from the uk for a funeral

So I can’t have a meal or pint indoors but no checks on what’s coming into the country

Yep ban indoor dining but international travel still full steam ahead. I’m sick of them dictating to us how to life, I think the pubs are sh*te now anyway because the ones in the city still enforcing the two hour limit when there is none for outdoor dining, that’s just as infuriating as NPHET. Thank god for the country pubs, treat their customers well and appreciate their business unlike the city ones.

agoodpunt wrote: »
    more variants on the way lol, am sure you are wet dreaming about them can you get a life, all countries around us are more open, havent met 1 person last 2 days who thinks we are doing the right thing.

Not surprising that those you hang out with probably have similar outlooks. Doesn't mean they're right.

bladespin wrote: »

And the South African one? Aren’t South Africa hosting the rugby competition... so deadly a few months ago, can anyone remember how this variant was wiped out. ?

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    And the South African one? Aren’t South Africa hosting the rugby competition... so deadly a few months ago, can anyone remember how this variant was wiped out. ?

Survival of the fittest?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Exactly as you say people ignoring rules will keep us in lockdown longer

No we shouldnt punish all forms of public transport but the rules should be followed

And I can assure you around where I live a short walk will show the rules being flouted and as regards enforcement the Publicians should abide by the rules and not need to be made enforce them it is because of them flouting rules at Christmas we are in one of the longest periods of restriction in the world

Oh I see. So because pubs within a short walk of you are failing to enforce restrictions, all indoor hospitality throughout the country, including the vast majority following the rules, should be closed.

But when a state sponsored transport company makes zero effort (and actually actively ignores) people flouting restrictions ..... that's magically a completely different scenario.

Why don't you report the offending premises to your local Gardai? It might shock you to know that they're actually the ones responsible for enforcing laws.

MOH wrote: »
    Oh I see. So because pubs within a short walk of you are failing to enforce restrictions, all indoor hospitality throughout the country, including the vast majority following the rules, should be closed.

But when a state sponsored transport company makes zero effort (and actually actively ignores) people flouting restrictions ..... that's magically a completely different scenario.

Why don't you report the offending premises to your local Gardai? It might shock you to know that they're actually the ones responsible for enforcing laws.

No the owners of licensed premises have responsibilities as they are running a licensed premises and they are required to run it properly and in accordance with the law why should Gardai have to be going around pubs the owners should be running it in accordance with the law and if not then they could lose license

Did you report transport company to the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

fin12 wrote: »
    Yep ban indoor dining but international travel still full steam ahead. I’m sick of them dictating to us how to life, I think the pubs are sh*te now anyway because the ones in the city still enforcing the two hour limit when there is none for outdoor dining, that’s just as infuriating as NPHET. Thank god for the country pubs, treat their customers well and appreciate their business unlike the city ones.

Ya reckon. Nyphet have to get together to approve that in the same way they had the meeting to cancel dining in. Expect them to recommend travel for the vaxxed only at best. Worst case scenario - they'll use the emergency brake for the delta variant.

Tazz T wrote: »
    Ya reckon. Nyphet have to get together to approve that in the same way they had the meeting to cancel dining in. Expect them to recommend travel for the vaxxed only at best. Worst case scenario - they'll use the emergency brake for the delta variant.

NPHET have never had an issue would international travel , they prefer to lock us up instead. They don’t have full control over international travel cause Europe will just sue them if they don’t open up like the rest of Europe. Sure he’ll prob be delighted with international travel , cases go through the roof and he can put us into lockdown again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

NPHET should be put back in there box after the stuff that's happening this week

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Hopefully this garbage is the straw that broke the camel's back.

We have been angry for 15 months, but this time it seems different. Be it street protests, a vote of no confidence in FF, anything, just anything, to remove this bumbling incoherent clown from office. At least one thing is changing- nobody, and I mean nobody, believes NPHET's concern is public health. Even Matt Cooper and his contrbutors were basically saying on Monday that NPHET members do not like alcohol, they didn't flat out say it but reading between the lines even the mainstream are seeing it for what it is. Even the FG and FF (in particular FF) TD's seem to have had enough of Mehole's dribbling nonsense. It would take a rebellion of six FF and FG TD's (Greens are way too wimpy to do it) to put the coalition into a minority and force a no confidence vote in the Dail to remove this disgrace of a man from office, and I pray it might come in the next week if there isn't realistic progress towards a July 19 reopening.

I am lucky enough to have caught Covid (I'd have worse hangovers most weekends) so I'm boozer ready but even I'm not excited.

Why would I be?

Until Micheal Martin is removed from office there is no guarantee of a way out of anything.

A few weeks ago I posted here that I wasn't remotely excited about July 5th because Tony would only pull the rug out from under us anyway.

A few months ago I posted that it wasn't impossible that a crowd of young people would be forced to drink in, at best, a Dundalk beer garden, but could then get a taxi to a nightclub in Newry.

Normally it's great being right, but to be honest I'm getting ****in sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Now lockdowns are back on the cards if this scary new variant causes an increase in case and hospital numbers

****ing sick of it all. Tony knows well the covid cert would be a ****ing nightmare for places and in turn places refusing to open cause of it. Tony says the Virus loves Alcohol, more like he doesn't like Alcohol and wants to kill the culture

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Now lockdowns are back on the cards if this scary new variant causes an increase in case and hospital numbers

****ing sick of it all. Tony knows well the covid cert would be a ****ing nightmare for places and in turn places refusing to open cause of it. Tony says the Virus loves Alcohol, more like he doesn't like Alcohol and wants to kill the culture

You have that right. Still the Covid cert for pubs would work for some especially 'old man' type pubs. More and more are being vaccinated every day. Some say they don't want to be a Covid cop but they ask for ID all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Dickie10

its hard not to see tony and his zealous mission against alcohol for what it is, but I just wonder why he has never been as zealous in anti "sale of alcohol" in supermarkets and off licence, he seems to really be gunning for nightclubs and pubs and old man pubs more than just the sale of alcohol in general.

Advertisement