Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

I wouldn't think so. Case numbers have remained relatively stable for a good while now

They will most likely repurpose the EU vaccine passport scheme for this reopening.

Can't see a reopening on the 19th either being honest unless there is a major fallout due to today's decision.

LIke, i don't know much about the vaccine passport and how long it is along the process but in general trying to come up and implement a process just to get a certain cohort into a pub in ~2 weeks seems a) implausible and b) ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

No chance theres a reopening on the 19th, the NPHET letter talks about rising cases until October, then we'll be in a seasonal outbreak. Its game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭saabsaab

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Marginally probably :) But yeah imagine being 52 and going to meet some mates for pints and getting ID'd and having to go home to get your passport. You'd be shredded by your mates. It really is absurd to me.

Doesn't nearly everyone have a drivers license? Or bring your vaccination card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

saabsaab wrote: »

License? Probably I guess but again it is a matter of remembering it. Personally I leave mine in the car in case I'm stopped as you have to have it when driving by law.
    Cert doesn't have a photo as far as I understand so that can't be used as ID. Even the articles mentioning it are saying certificate PLUS identification. Also leads to the question what happens if you lose your cert with a few drinks on you.

There'll be a little business in fake cards now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭aziz

Why should I,

Have we turned into North Korea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭PommieBast

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, it won't be available in the EU until 1 July so you're right!
    I will be gobsmacked if Ireland actually manages to start issuing them within36 hours.

aziz wrote: »
    Why should I,

You don't have to. You may not be allowed in. I suggest a badge (maybe sponsored by the Vintners) a large 'V' with a small 2 to show double vaccination be handed to regulars.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    License? Probably I guess but again it is a matter of remembering it. Personally I leave mine in the car in case I'm stopped as you have to have it when driving by law.
    Cert doesn't have a photo as far as I understand so that can't be used as ID. Even the articles mentioning it are saying certificate PLUS identification. Also leads to the question what happens if you lose your cert with a few drinks on you.

Bring both? If you lose it, you lose it. What happens when you lose your wallet or anything of value?

You don't have to. You may not be allowed in. I suggest a badge (maybe sponsored by the Vintners) a large 'V' with a small 2 to show double vaccination be handed to regulars.

Are you taking the piss or just insane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I know what "V" i'd give to that suggestion! :rolleyes:

Bring both? If you lose it, you lose it. What happens when you lose your wallet or anything of value?

Well if you lose your license or passport you report it lost and get it replaced. Can you do that with a vaccine cert? I genuinely don't know.

And this is what you are asking staff to deal with (and I don't disagree with him/her I didn't apply to be the vaccine cop):
    Why should I,

Are you taking the piss or just insane

Neither. I hope. My predictions so far have been fairly accurate.

Neither. I hope. My predictions so far have been fairly accurate.

So insane it is then,just like the government

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I know what "V" i'd give to that suggestion! :rolleyes:

A V2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i dont think any of us are surprised by this, like i predicted mid august for two weeks to save the summer before schools are back. not a hope anything will open before the August bank holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭thebronze14

To answer the original question. No. It does not look like the Rovers will ever return

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭xl500

If the publicians behaved responsibly then we could probably be open much earlier

Look around you the ones that are open now "outdoor" a lot of them are flouting the rules

I see everywhere no distance between tables Outdoor areas completely Enclosed no ventilation etc etc

People are comparing us to other European Countries which are open the difference is there are rules regarding face masks numbers etc and they are enforced, here is a joke and look at Christmas we all know pubs were really taking the piss

You see the Vitners reps on TV you would think butter wouldn’t melt but the reality on the ground is very different

Just go into Galway City Dublin City or any Town for that matter and see how the rules at the moment are being universally ignored by the so called responsible publicans

All this is also being observed by NEPHET and the Politicians

Now if you agree with the rules or not is another question but at the moment they are the rules

The only way way we can open up is with strictly enforced rules but that won’t happen in Ireland so we all suffer because of some

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I think its the customers that are flouting the rules mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭robbiezero

xl500 wrote: »
    If the publicians behaved responsibly then we could probably be open much earlier

Look around you the ones that are open now "outdoor" a lot of them are flouting the rules

I see everywhere no distance between tables Outdoor areas completely Enclosed no ventilation etc etc

People are comparing us to other European Countries which are open the difference is there are rules regarding face masks numbers etc and they are enforced, here is a joke and look at Christmas we all know pubs were really taking the piss

You see the Vitners reps on TV you would think butter wouldn’t melt but the reality on the ground is very different

Just go into Galway City Dublin City or any Town for that matter and see how the rules at the moment are being universally ignored by the so called responsible publicans

Now if you agree with the rules or not is another question but at the moment they are the rules

The only way way we can open up is with strictly enforced rules but that won’t happen in Ireland so we all suffer because of some

No wonder cases and hospitalizations and deaths are through the roof. Oh wait....

Nphet didnt even know people were drinking in the city last month so i doubt they have a clue whats going on in the hospitality industry (or in general)

• Advertisement

robbiezero wrote: »
    No wonder cases and hospitalizations and deaths are through the roof. Oh wait....

Nphet didnt even know people were drinking in the city last month so i doubt they have a clue whats going on in the hospitality industry (or in general)

Everyone knows, thats the problem and they know if they open indoor pubs none of the rules will be followed as is happening at the moment with outdoor

The cases and Deaths are Low because we Locked Down Look at Christmas the numbers were terrible and the Health system came close to failure

finbarrk wrote: »
    I think its the customers that are flouting the rules mostly.

On the premises of the person who is supposed to be ensuring the rules are observed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

PommieBast wrote: »
    I will be gobsmacked if Ireland actually manages to start issuing them within36 hours.

I'd be stunned if they have them in 36 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Everyone knows, thats the problem and they know if they open indoor pubs none of the rules will be followed as is happening at the moment with outdoor

The cases and Deaths are Low because we Locked Down Look at Christmas the numbers were terrible and the Health system came close to failure

Rubbish.

The vast majority of outdoor pubs in the two cities I've been in over the last week are very much following the rules. There's a handful of places I've passed regularly over the past year that have been openly flouting them regularly, but completely ignored by the Gardai. The only place I've heard of actually being sanctioned is Berlin.

The solution to a small minority of places flouting rules isn't to close everything, it's proper enforcement of those rules and closing those places.

The majority of people around me on the last train I was on were totally ignoring the mask rule. There was zero enforcement from Irish Rail. Let's shut down the trains immediately.
    And the buses, because we should apply sweeping generalisations and punish all forms of public transport.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

They were followed to a pretty high degree last summer so i see no reason why they wouldn’t this summer either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Honestly I think Ireland is governed by the 'Irish science' of NPHET. Holohan should have resigned in 2018 over smear testing, but even without him they seem to assume positions on testing, formulate models and projections which no reasonable person could endorse, which includes scientific opinion outside this tiny isle. That Ireland is the only place in Europe where you cannot drink at the bar should mean something to those who think NPHET are gods of science, when they are essentially spoofers. I really hope this means the end of FFail, a party which has done so much harm (not that the rest are much better0.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Quite fond of the sweeping generalisation, aren't we?

This view is a microcosm of society at present, which basically translates as "I've seen some people/sectors/industries breaking rules, so all people/sectors/industries should suffer as a result".

First off just to be clear I have voiced plenty of concerns of the rules not being enforced and actually quit my job in a bar over the winter because my employer was one of the outliers who was ignoring all the guidelines to grab some extra cash. But lets assume your theory is correct and this decision has at least partially come from a concern held be NPHET and the govt. that the industry is refusing to self regulate and enforce the rules then why would the same NPHET recommend opening indoors for ONLY vaccinated and recent covid recoverers when this is ripe for exploitation and would actually be one of the hardest rules brought in to enforce by the industry correctly?

MOH wrote: »
    Rubbish.

The vast majority of outdoor pubs in the two cities I've been in over the last week are very much following the rules. There's a handful of places I've passed regularly over the past year that have been openly flouting them regularly, but completely ignored by the Gardai. The only place I've heard of actually being sanctioned is Berlin.

The solution to a small minority of places flouting rules isn't to close everything, it's proper enforcement of those rules and closing those places.

The majority of people around me on the last train I was on were totally ignoring the mask rule. There was zero enforcement from Irish Rail. Let's shut down the trains immediately.
    And the buses, because we should apply sweeping generalisations and punish all forms of public transport.
    :rolleyes:

Exactly as you say people ignoring rules will keep us in lockdown longer

No we shouldnt punish all forms of public transport but the rules should be followed

And I can assure you around where I live a short walk will show the rules being flouted and as regards enforcement the Publicians should abide by the rules and not need to be made enforce them it is because of them flouting rules at Christmas we are in one of the longest periods of restriction in the world

And dont tell me its rubbish I saw with my eyes what was going on at Christmas and I can see it now we cant open because we still have this irresponsible attitude to the rules

• Advertisement

Honestly I think Ireland is governed by the 'Irish science' of NPHET. Holohan should have resigned in 2018 over smear testing, but even without him they seem to assume positions on testing, formulate models and projections which no reasonable person could endorse, which includes scientific opinion outside this tiny isle. That Ireland is the only place in Europe where you cannot drink at the bar should mean something to those who think NPHET are gods of science, when they are essentially spoofers. I really hope this means the end of FFail, a party which has done so much harm (not that the rest are much better0.

Not true Drinking at the Bar is not allowed in a lot of countries

Advertisement