Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,239 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Young people are far more at risk from a government that has thrown them on the scrapheap and destroyed their economic future than they ever were from Covid 19.

That is your opinion.. And you are entitled to it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Firstly no argument here on vaccines, that was my point and as per Dr Henry.

Where did I make a comparison apart from their low level of vaccination?
    My post was a positive as to our level and continuing high level of vaccination.

I take your reply as bad faith as you didn't read mine properly.

I did read it properly, your first sentence was and I quote:

"Look at the figures for deaths in Russia from Delta which are rising atm before you talk again about it being enough to vaccinate just the old and the vulnerable."

Russia with 14% one dosed (not two) have not got close to vaccinating the old and vulnerable so using it as evidence that vaccinating the old and vulnerable inst enough immediately fails on the first test.

I supported my point by illustrating the completely different vaccines been used in the two jurisdictions. Again making any comparison between Ireland and Russia in relation to the delta variant completely null and void.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'd keep a pack of a paracetamol and an empty couch on standby for tomorrow ;)

You reckon i got it this morning and feel 100%
    I'll have to give an update tomorrow

I don't take tablets for anything so hopefully that doesn't have to change

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭timmyntc

cheezums wrote: »
    You are confusing efficacy and effectiveness. Not the same thing.

Secondly, vaccine efficacy (controlled tests) and effectiveness (real world) are not a "hospitalisation" metric.

Wrong again.

Why dont we revisit Nolan's modelling:
    https://twitter.com/President_MU/status/1410320834342932483

The 95% figure he uses here is the efficacy relative to an unvaccinated person.
    That 95% figure means that a vaccinated person is 95% less likely to develop severe disease relative to an unvaccinated person.

An unvaccinated person already has a 1 in 5 risk of developing severe disease, so for a vaccinated person that risk is 95% lower - 1 in 100 or 1% chance of developing severe disease.

All the vaccine efficacy studies measure it in this manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Anyone think that the UK will reverse its "no going back" decision?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,239 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

TheDoctor wrote: »
    I did read it properly, your first sentence was and I quote:

"Look at the figures for deaths in Russia from Delta which are rising atm before you talk again about it being enough to vaccinate just the old and the vulnerable."

Russia with 14% one dosed (not two) have not got close to vaccinating the old and vulnerable so using it as evidence that vaccinating the old and vulnerable inst enough immediately fails on the first test.

I supported my point by illustrating the completely different vaccines been used in the two jurisdictions. Again making any comparison between Ireland and Russia in relation to the delta variant completely null and void.

Apologies if there is a ,misunderstanding here.
    I thought you were quoting the post re the comparison of deaths from UK and Scotland, vs Russia.
    I am in no way comparing Russia in terms of vaccination with us.
    It is precisely their lack of suitable vaccination that is resulting in a rise in deaths there, as opposed to the UK and Scotland according to Dr Henry today, with a " vaccine wall" holding serious disease and deaths down there.
    I reacted to a poster who was posting the old chestnut that once the old and vulnerable were vaccinated then that it would be unnecessary for younger people to be vaccinated.
    Clearly that is not the case. Serious illness is rising although at a much lower rate in UK and Scotland. In younger people.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

timmyntc wrote: »
    Wrong again.

Why dont we revisit Nolan's modelling:
    https://twitter.com/President_MU/status/1410320834342932483

The 95% figure he uses here is the efficacy relative to an unvaccinated person.
    That 95% figure means that a vaccinated person is 95% less likely to develop severe disease relative to an unvaccinated person.

An unvaccinated person already has a 1 in 5 risk of developing severe disease, so for a vaccinated person that risk is 95% lower - 1 in 100 or 1% chance of developing severe disease.

All the vaccine efficacy studies measure it in this manner.

Well done, you've mixed up efficacy and effectiveness a third time.

Secondly, you are creating all kinds of things that he didnt actually say. All he was saying was the vaccine doesn't work for everyone. 5% in fact. He couldn't have said it in more simple terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

UK still has some things in place which we don't have here particularly for kids. Any suspected/known cases in a school class are told to isolate for two weeks, none of the pod stuff/contact tracing we were trying. There's currently no plans to change that although a bit of lobbying has started.

Honestly, I dont think they'll change tactics at this Point. If they do it'll be a few months from now when hospitalistions kick off but so far, they aren't concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Secondly, you are creating all kinds of things that he didnt actually say. All he was saying was the vaccine doesn't work for everyone. 5% in fact. He couldn't have said it in more simple terms.

I'm using the terms as they should be used - exactly as they are described in the vaccine studies. Which Nolan is referencing when he uses that 95% figure. If the terminology is wrong its on his end.

Nolan came up with a figure of 25k people vulnerable to severe disease. As I have shown, that figure is false. The real number would be 5k. 5 times less.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

timmyntc wrote: »
    I'm using the terms as they should be used - exactly as they are described in the vaccine studies. Which Nolan is referencing when he uses that 95% figure. If the terminology is wrong its on his end.

Nolan came up with a figure of 25k people vulnerable to severe disease. As I have shown, that figure is false. The real number would be 5k. 5 times less.

That tweet from Nolan was not only incredibly misleading but bordering on being professionally negligent, especially for someone in his position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭NoLuckLarry

You reckon i got it this morning and feel 100%
    I'll have to give an update tomorrow

I don't take tablets for anything so hopefully that doesn't have to change

I was the same after my 1st dose, grand for the day then went downhill late evening and woke up the following day feeling like a bus had run over me twice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I was the same after my 1st dose, grand for the day then went downhill late evening and woke up the following day feeling like a bus had run over me twice :D

AH man now your scarying me
    Hopefully that just because your no luck Larry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

So no deaths for weeks and then they come out with a big scary number of 5000 total deaths today .. sounds like they are trying to justify keeping hospitality closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Sorry for your troubles, but had a genuine LOL reading this with your username!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

harr wrote: »
    So no deaths for weeks and then they come out with a big scary number of 5000 total deaths today .. sounds like they are trying to justify keeping hospitality closed.

And trying to scare us with the case numbers.

Some professor on now talking sense that there is no need for panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Is it just me or do they sound like they're speaking from a drain pipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Sorry for your troubles, but had a genuine LOL reading this with your username!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,499 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

On May 12th total deaths were 4937
    The number of people who have died is now 4,937
    https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-latest-figures-28-5435091-May2021/

Total deaths today 1st July is 5000
    The number of people who have died following a diagnosis of Covid-19 is now 5,000.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0701/1232493-covid-figures-nphet/

So in other words in 50 days a total of 63 people have died who had previously been had a positive Covid diagnosis in the previous 30 days, not exactly end of days material.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

"Dr Tony Holohan said we are going to experience very significant transmission, like what is now happening in Scotland or Northern Ireland."

Amazing that Northern Ireland can sign off on live music from 5th July

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's like they are pretending most of us haven't copped on that the figure is not 5,000 extra deaths since 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Deaths are now available again in the daily totals. While people are recoiling in horror at the huge number hospitals are at 44 with 14 in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

But that is incorrect :/ It is absolutely untrue that the vaccine "doesn't work" for 5% of people

• Registered Users Posts: 81,499 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

is_that_so wrote: »
    Deaths are now available again in the daily totals. While people are recoiling in horror at the huge number hospitals are at 44 with 14 in ICU.

Hopefully someone in the media will call them out and tell them in an average day 80 people die from non Covid related reasons in Ireland for comparison. The shock and awe tactics they are coming out with need to be questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Why did NPHET refuse to support antigen testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Look at the figures for deaths in Russia from Delta which are rising atm before you talk again about it being enough to vaccinate just the old and the vulnerable.
    Obviously they are the most at risk, but all ages are at risk just at a lower level.

Or ye could just look 100 miles across the sea at the uk today with 28k cases and a whopping 22 deaths.

But sure yeah, Russia, India etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hopefully someone in the media will call them out and tell them in an average day 80 people die from non Covid related reasons in Ireland for comparison. The shock and awe tactics they are coming out with need to be questioned.
    This is what the media come for and it's what NPHET do so that's doubtful. They can get that other data elsewhere. Someone may probe them on the wild projections.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The Irish citizens aren’t trustworthy

Paddy would be falsifying tests at home

This island of lawless drunks has vaccine uptake levels that are the envy of Europe though

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/ireland-has-highest-vaccination-rate-in-europe-for-people-over-50-ecdc-data-shows-40585369.html
    Ireland has the highest uptake of Covid-19 vaccination per capita of any EU/EEA country for people 50 or older, new ECDC data shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Tony is following the science on that....

I don't know how he hasn't been whipped up by the French or Germans or Brits Governments given that they are leading all their nations into the worst hurricane in their history....

Mind you, they probably wouldn't pay the same wages!!!

We don't have a competent health system to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭brickster69

Possible :pac::pac::pac:

New Cases (deaths)

UK 27,989 (22)
    Italy 882 (21)
    Germany 201 (28)

All roads lead to Rome.

Advertisement