Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

namloc1980 wrote: »
    He talked about the Delta plus variant also and how it's "very concerning". Anyone who thinks lockdowns/increased restrictions aren't on the cards for this winter could be in for a shock.

I've said it! Other posters have said it!

NPHET gave a document to Government back in February that was made public. It's available online. In it, it stated that lockdowns for Winter 2021 were on the cards, among other events and activities they did not recommend.

Yet, other posters said we were talking rubbish...

The guy literally just said it, right there! He also said they'd do everything so schools could open...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Delta is unstoppable he said with a big smirk on his face.

What a prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭jackboy

Not a chance, the place will be burned to the ground before they ever throw us back in to lockdown, especially now given the vaccination levels.

Wrong. We will be good little boys and girls and quietly take it without much fuss. No different to every other time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He talked about the Delta plus variant also and how it's "very concerning". Anyone who thinks lockdowns/increased restrictions aren't on the cards for this winter could be in for a shock.

Too early to say apparently.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-57564560

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Not a chance, the place will be burned to the ground before they ever throw us back in to lockdown, especially now given the vaccination levels.

Tony just said it at the briefing. Lockdowns / restrictions are on the cards if they see increases in delta and hospitalisations as a result. You think the government will defy NPHET if that's what they recommend? That's very very naïve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭bloopy

harr wrote: »
    So no deaths for weeks and then they come out with a big scary number of 5000 total deaths today .. sounds like they are trying to justify keeping hospitality closed.

Are the deaths at exactly 5000?
    When did the hack problems get sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭NoLuckLarry

jackboy wrote: »
    Wrong. We will be good little boys and girls and quietly take it without much fuss. No different to every other time.

There will of course be a cohort who will slide under the bed for another 6 months at the slightest peep of it, everybody else though? LOL. Good luck ever having compliance of that sort again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭NoLuckLarry

Tony just said it at the briefing. Lockdowns / restrictions are on the cards if they see increases in delta and hospitalisations as a result. You think the government will defy NPHET if that's what they recommend? That's very very naïve.

If he’s openly suggesting that then it’s time for people to go to the streets, enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

MOR316 wrote: »
    Tony is a liar!
    Leo is a liar!
    Micheál is a liar!
    Donnelly is a liar!

It's impossible to know what to believe

Well Mehole has told us that Delta is a slow burner and that’ll rip through the community, so he’s defo a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Jizique wrote: »
    I don’t believe him

OK..

• Advertisement

Yeah, Delta AND hospitalisations. We are in a better position than some countries on take-up, with the vast majority of over 50s fully done in the next few weeks. The younger age cohorts are less likely to end up in hospital anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

is_that_so wrote: »
    yeah, Delta AND hospitalisations. We are in a better position than some countries on take-up, with the vast majority of over 50s done in the next few weeks. The younger age cohorts are less likely to end up in hospital anyway.

I know but we know NPHET have a very very low risk tolerance. Increased number of cases will inevitably lead to additional hospitalisations. Nobody should be shocked if NPHET recommend increased restrictions and/or lockdowns over the winter. I actually think it's a certainty that they will. Up to the government how they respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭brickster69

Why can we not just copy 100% what Germany are doing in every way?

If Ireland did that then Ireland's numbers would be better than Germany :eek:

All roads lead to Rome.

I don't understand how another wave might be on the horizon.

Is it because the race between Delta and the vaccines will see Delta 'win'?
    Or do we need to reach herd immunity in order to prevent any type of wave?
    Surely though even with Delta being more transmissable the wave will be significantly less than previous because of the vaccines?
    Seeing is believing really!
    We'll pass 50% fully vaccinated and over 70% with at least one dose this month so there will be a far smaller pool at risk. The Delta spread is contingent on more social interactions and they rate it at 60% more transmissible. So with indoor activities they are projecting that to soar. It may but the key is hospitalisation. If that doesn't rise very much COVID is a cold.

I know but we know NPHET have a very very low risk tolerance. Increased number of cases will inevitably lead to additional hospitalisations. Nobody should be shocked if NPHET recommend increased restrictions and/or lockdowns over the winter. I actually think it's a certainty that they will. Up to the government how they respond.
    If hospital numbers are low enough and the HSE say they can cope the government will face them down purely on the basis of economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The words “ very concerning “ is just white noise now .

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭breadmond

Tony Holohan on rte now getting the kid gloves treatment. Basically apologising for asking him questions

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭breadmond

Holy **** he's just basically threatened to remove privileges from us if we don't behave!

He looks rattled to be fair, tie was a mess and didn't seem to be all there mentally

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I was the same after my 1st dose, grand for the day then went downhill late evening and woke up the following day feeling like a bus had run over me twice :D

Hardly noticed my first Pfizer BioNTech dose, very slight discomfort if I bumped my shoulder on something for a day or two.

Second dose I had an ache in my shoulder, a bit of a temperature and all over muscle aches, like I had over exercised, for about a day. Hadn't expected that since the first dose had been virtually unoticable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    "Dr Tony Holohan said we are going to experience very significant transmission, like what is now happening in Scotland or Northern Ireland."

Amazing that Northern Ireland can sign off on live music from 5th July

Couldn't have the 12th without live music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

breadmond wrote: »
    Holy **** he's just basically threatened to remove privileges from us if we don't behave!

He looks rattled to be fair, tie was a mess and didn't seem to be all there mentally

He can feck right off. There is no going back for me now. Daughters lost her job because of him and his ridiculously cautious approach whilst other countries just get on with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

breadmond wrote: »

He was acting like a petty asshole to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭CoisFharraige

This is a quick plea to remember to pull ourselves back a bit. At times like these with the hysteria and herd mentality around speaking with disdain (to put it mildly) about NPHET and Dr. Holohan, we need to remember what the statistics show and say. (I am not pro or anti NPHET and co.)

We're now (according to the six-one) at 43% fully vaccinated for adults. This means that 57% of the adult population is not yet vaccinated. In a few weeks, there will be a very low chance of COVID affecting the unvaccinated as they will all be in the younger cohort. At the moment, the risk is still relatively high, as 60-69 year olds are still far off being fully vaccinated.

If we go forward to the end of August when we could have 80% of the adult population vaccinated, we will still see virus breakthroughs of the vaccines. In a population of 4.9m, even if only 1% of the vulnerable saw a virus breakthrough (let's say a conservative estimate of 300,000 vulnerable people in the population), you could see 3,000 serious cases possible leading to death. Remember as well - a 90% uptake means 10% of those vulnerable people are completely unvaccinated (!)

These stats are not useful for gauging the impact on the country quantitatively, but in a qualitative sense, virus breakthroughs will happen, cases would skyrocket with the country opened more, and that will lead to more hospitilisations. The virus is dangerous and is going to spread rapidly over the coming weeks, we can't deny that. HOWEVER, as we become more protected, the virus' threat will begin to subside. The problem is that we're still 4-6 weeks from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

wadacrack wrote: »

A mad difference between Wexford and Waterford and them right next to each other.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

This is a quick plea to remember to pull ourselves back a bit. At times like these with the hysteria and herd mentality around speaking with disdain (to put it mildly) about NPHET and Dr. Holohan, we need to remember what the statistics show and say. (I am not pro or anti NPHET and co.)

We're now (according to the six-one) at 43% fully vaccinated for adults. This means that 57% of the adult population is not yet vaccinated. In a few weeks, there will be a very low chance of COVID affecting the unvaccinated as they will all be in the younger cohort. At the moment, the risk is still relatively high, as 60-69 year olds are still far off being fully vaccinated.

If we go forward to the end of August when we could have 80% of the adult population vaccinated, we will still see virus breakthroughs of the vaccines. In a population of 4.9m, even if only 1% of the vulnerable saw a virus breakthrough (let's say a conservative estimate of 300,000 vulnerable people in the population), you could see 3,000 serious cases possible leading to death. Remember as well - a 90% uptake means 10% of those vulnerable people are completely unvaccinated (!)

These stats are not useful for gauging the impact on the country quantitatively, but in a qualitative sense, virus breakthroughs will happen, cases would skyrocket with the country opened more, and that will lead to more hospitilisations. The virus is dangerous and is going to spread rapidly over the coming weeks, we can't deny that. HOWEVER, as we become more protected, the virus' threat will begin to subside. The problem is that we're still 4-6 weeks from that.

Theirs going to be a very bad wave in Europe by late August. Many countries are going to face deaths that could be worse than January.

The latest ECDC situation report does not make for good reading.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Christ.

Thats even worse than NPHETS worst case scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

No doubt Tony Holohan has lost the plot over the last few days. There should be question marks at this point about whether he is in the right frame of mind to be at work.

I think you are right.

He is talking about lock downs and restrictions at the very time all of us can see on our tv sets packed stadiums everywhere, a vaccination program in full swing we know we are an outlier in terms of the severity and longevity of the restrictions, I've said it before but it should be repeated, this role, the authority that it has afforded a plain bureaucrat has got the better of him....

A poster mentioned it before and it's spot on, this is this generations moving statue phenomenon!!! Except way more expensive and damaging to people's health and personal finances!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

wadacrack wrote: »

nordies at it again. what do they be at ffs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Stheno wrote: »
    Christ.

Thats even worse than NPHETS worst case scenario

Forecasts now seem to assume a 100% spread across the entire population now ffs and any breakthrough infections cause the exact same outcome regardless of the case being in a fit and healthy young person or old and frail.

Advertisement