Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0629/1231914-cabinet-hospitality-reopening-delay/

"NPHET presented some stark warnings to Government last night - the most severe of which predicted hundreds of thousands of cases between July and September and more than 2,000 deaths as a result of Covid-19."

Looks like they're delaying to introduce a vaccinated only indoor dining rule...

My own feeling is, that they will use this as an excuse to delay as they "develop the system". Indoor dining will be open in August for a few weeks at most before the seasonality aspect kicks in and were in another winter lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Can't blame them in fairness. The roll out has been somewhere between a joke and criminal.
    350K shots last week, similar enough this week, over 40% fully vaccinated, heading for 60% with at least one dose so yeah "somewhere between a joke and criminal".

is_that_so wrote: »
    350K shots last week, similar enough this week, over 40% fully vaccinated, heading for 60% with at least one dose so yeah "somewhere between a joke and criminal".

GP's being allowed to hand them out to whoever they like while other older people wait.

GP's being allowed to hand them out to whoever they like while other older people wait.

Some GPs handing them out to their patients, based on HSE protocols, largely based on the do not waste mandate, is hardly evidence of the dysfunctional system that you claim. MVCs are following the age groups and timings.

A lot more people are about to get pissed off with the "who you know" roll-out now too with this coming.

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1409739295053713408

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

["NPHET presented some stark warnings to Government last night - the most severe of which predicted hundreds of thousands of cases between July and September and more than 2,000 deaths as a result of Covid-19.".

Sacrificing Hospitality/Tourism for some doomsday worst case scenario that may never happen is just criminal... Looks like Holohan has turned the fear factor up to 13 on the dial meaning spineless FFFG won't dare stand up to him..

And the other idea of the Vacc'd only indoors? To be served food and drink by young unvaccinated staff??

Once MMartin bends to the latest diktat from NPHET it will mean that you won't be sitting in your favorite pub this side of Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Tenzor07 wrote: »

FFS this ****ing country is a joke.... If travel gets derailed on the 19th there should be a MASSIVE protest. Its simply unbelievable at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭bladespin

This is madness, what has Ireland done that has made it more of a risk here than anywhere else?

bladespin wrote: »
    This is madness, what has Ireland done that has made it more of a risk here than anywhere else?

Just go up the North or book into a hotel, the Delta variant can't get you there, or just go to a house party completely unregulated can't get you there either..

• Advertisement

Just go up the North or book into a hotel, the Delta variant can't get you there, or just go to a house party completely unregulated can't get you there either..

Meh, could fly to Brummy with work and back same day, be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭HBC08

Lads what will happen to all the kegs that have been delivered to pubs/restaurants? Will the breweries take them back or have they a long shelf life?

Yes the breweries that them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭saabsaab

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Jesus no! Have you seen the threads where people were going mad cause someone 38 in Cork got jabbed and they're in Dublin, 40 and not. And thats just to protect yourself from covid, never mind if you added access to indoor drinking onto it. There'd be killings :D Plus you probably now need a dedicated door person as you're essentially carding everyone coming in like a nightclub. And I haven't had one yet but assume a vaccine cert only has a name on it, no photograph, if so then all these 40+ have to start carrying passports, licenses or age cards again (well for the first time for most of that age group).

It would promote taking the jab. Anyway it won't suit every pub but I've heard that in some areas all over 18 are vaccinated now.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Timistry

At this stage it will be 2022 before the pubs open

bladespin wrote: »
    Meh, could fly to Brummy with work and back same day, be grand.

No good for the staff, they can't do that...

Unelected officials on €150,000+ making decisions to keep people out of work without having a clue about how business works.... I mean expecting young unvaccinated staff to go serve vaccinated and unvaccinated indoors and outdoors...
    Hotels open for a number of weeks now for indoor dining and no Delta outbreaks..

Ireland the outlier time after time, destroying the economy to keep case numbers low...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Do kegs go off that quickly? Would have presumed a keg of like a can. Fine if unopened.

3-4 months for the Macro beers. You won't get much more than a month out of craft as most don't contain preservatives.

is_that_so wrote: »

Your reminder that the Government didn't bother convening the first meeting of the Vaccination Committee until after a vaccine had already been approved for use.

Incompetent to the point of negligence.

No good for the staff, they can't do that...

Unelected officials on €150,000+ making decisions to keep people out of work without having a clue about how business works.... I mean expecting young unvaccinated staff to go serve vaccinated and unvaccinated indoors and outdoors...
    Hotels open for a number of weeks now for indoor dining and no Delta outbreaks..

Ireland the outlier time after time, destroying the economy to keep case numbers low...

That's my point really, I can jump on a plane and fly to the UK to carry essential work, drive around, have a bit of fun then fly back - no need to quarantine or restrict yet, can't go for lunch here, it's laughable tbh.

Well there ya go, pubs and restaurants to stay closed, or if lucky enough to be able to have a few tables on the footpath outside...

Staff and business owners left sitting at home for 16 months now taking the blame for all this... Flatten curve...done...keep hospital numbers low...done...oh errmmm....stay closed until we vaccinate more... lies..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Fuming i bet they will want to close outdoor hospitality soon

No way will they reopen indoor on the 19th July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

saabsaab wrote: »
    It would promote taking the jab. Anyway it won't suit every pub but I've heard that in some areas all over 18 are vaccinated now.

I can't believe it is actually going to happen tbh. I used to work in a place that did pensioner pints and it was embarrassing asking for ID. The idea of asking everyone who enters for ID and a cert to get served sounds horrible and open to more arguments from the type who post here bragging about how they told the staff this and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I can't believe it is actually going to happen tbh. I used to work in a place that did pensioner pints and it was embarrassing asking for ID. The idea of asking everyone who enters for ID and a cert to get served sounds horrible and open to more arguments from the type who post here bragging about how they told the staff this and that.

Oh god, I hadn't even factored those muppets in.

" I made a 19 year old girl cry for having the nerve to do her job, ain't I great"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Fuming i bet they will want to close outdoor hospitality soon

No way will they reopen indoor on the 19th July.

I wouldn't think so. Case numbers have remained relatively stable for a good while now

They will most likely repurpose the EU vaccine passport scheme for this reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Even an age-based approach would make (marginally) more sense.
    Open indoors for e.g. over-50s or over-60s, on the assumption they're old enough to make their own risk assessments if they're not fully vaccinated.
    Reduce the age limit by 5 years every week or two as younger cohorts get vaccinated.
    Indoor gets to open, at least some older people get to avail of it, without sharing with riskier younger cohorts.

It's got most of the same problems as a vaccine cert in that it's discriminatory and there's a whole host of implementation issues. But at least age-based restriction is an existing concept in pubs. Plus you're not going to have to start hassling pensioners for ID.

But the whole concept is ridiculous.

The highest paid politicians and most expensive Government in Europe for just over half thet population of London and this is the utter cr*p they come out with:

https://www.thejournal.ie/stephen-donnelly-indoor-dining-unvaccinated-workers-5480515-Jun2021/

You can't go have a beer or a burger indoors if you're under 30 and unvaccinated but you can go serve that beer and burger if you work at a hotel to someone over 40 or 50 indoors!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Sounds bloody great for me. Fully vaccinated as of last week. Wife is much younger so she has just got her appointment for her first. Pints for the Pintman while she is at home.

Be great to have my local gastropub without the trendy snotty youngsters in it. (Except the young birds serving my grub of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Sure over half the population is vaccinated now. No bother for over 50's and the medical staff I'll bet a few pubs would do well enough on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

MOH wrote: »
    Even an age-based approach would make (marginally) more sense.
    Open indoors for e.g. over-50s or over-60s, on the assumption they're old enough to make their own risk assessments if they're not fully vaccinated.
    Reduce the age limit by 5 years every week or two as younger cohorts get vaccinated.
    Indoor gets to open, at least some older people get to avail of it, without sharing with riskier younger cohorts.

It's got most of the same problems as a vaccine cert in that it's discriminatory and there's a whole host of implementation issues. But at least age-based restriction is an existing concept in pubs. Plus you're not going to have to start hassling pensioners for ID.

But the whole concept is ridiculous.

Marginally probably :) But yeah imagine being 52 and going to meet some mates for pints and getting ID'd and having to go home to get your passport. You'd be shredded by your mates. It really is absurd to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭PommieBast

They will most likely repurpose the EU vaccine passport scheme for this reopening.
    All signs I see is that the Irish state doesn't even have a vaccine passport scheme to repurpose.

• Advertisement

PommieBast wrote: »
    All signs I see is that the Irish state doesn't even have a vaccine passport scheme to repurpose.
    Well, it won't be available in the EU until 1 July so you're right!

Advertisement