Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Saw my local taking a delivery this morning.
    Hopefully they don't get the rug yanked from underneath them, but given the government's track record it is a real risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,916 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I don't think there will be a delay but some conditions may be brought in. eg ventilation, numbers inside, drink limits, closing times etc.. at least for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

saabsaab wrote: »
    I don't think tere will be a delay but some conditions may be brought in. eg ventilation, numbers inside, drink limits, closing times etc.. at least for a few weeks.

Can definitely see it being table service only so numbers inside are going to be limited imo. Closing could still be kept to an earlier time or not.. After that there are no way to impose or enforce drink limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭hynesie08

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Can definitely see it being table service only so numbers inside are going to be limited imo. Closing could still be kept to an earlier time or not.. After that there are no way to impose or enforce drink limits.

It was never not going to be table service, I don't know a single person in the industry who isn't expecting that.

I don't think there will be a delay but some conditions may be brought in. eg ventilation, numbers inside, drink limits, closing times etc.. at least for a few weeks.

HAHA drink limits.Look Paddy your only allowed 4 pints tonight and then off home with you. Heard it all now lol

• Advertisement

HAHA drink limits.Look Paddy your only allowed 4 pints tonight and then off home with you. Heard it all now lol

Well we'll see, all up in the air at the moment. Where did you get only 4 pints?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭zackory

They will bring in silly rules that will be largely unenforced, same as Christmas and last summer.

Guidelines drawn up by usual public servant complete lack of knowledge of how the real world works to the fore again.

Well we'll see, all up in the air at the moment. Where did you get only 4 pints?

Not a chance there being drink limits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Dickie10

ah now lads drink limits! come on. BUT i would be 80:20 that the pubs will not open for indoor dining til about august 8th at least , who knows after that. we all know at this stage tony would love to keep them shut forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Post i was replying to and calling a lie was this one that said Harris

That is not what Harris said, what he actually said was

Neither was he blase about or even suggest that hospitality would be shut for 3 years. reaosn i edited my post was i had posted twice and between quoting posts and quoting quotes it was a bit of a mess, thats all

As thick as he is, as health minister Harris would have been aware that the general consensus was that a vaccine was at least three years away, due to both inventing the damn thing and it going through rigourous safety trials.

Now, as we all know, desperation has meant that these safety trials have been less rigourous than any other vaccine in history. There have been consequences to this, primarily only in women of under circa 50, to which the mantra has changed from "the vaccine is safe" to "the vaccine is very safe". I'll take mine, as men seem to have ha little to reported issues. If I were a young- ish woman I'd be wary, frankly.

But aside from all of that the point still stands- Simon Harris would have been advised in March/ April 2020 that a vaccine was likely 3 plus years away.

Simon Harris was of the opinion that crowded pubs, gigs, live sport, nightclubs could all go into hibernation for three years, maybe more, and sure, that's life.

To add insult to injury he gave the interview to the Indo who put it behind a paywall. Our health minister was having brainfarts on national policy that the majority of people were only given the headline grabbing quote of.

An absolute buffoon of a man. It says a lot about him and his attitude to youthful hijinks that he was health minister while still in his 20's championing minimum alcohol pricing legislation.

Fact of the matter is, none of these people care. Do you think Harris, or Ronan Glynn, or De Gascun, regularly set foot in pubs? When Glynn was filling in for Holohan for a few months he made Tony look like Liam Gallagher in the craic and charisma stakes, I can't exactly imagine him stumbling down Camden St at 4am on a regular basis. Our policy is being directed by advisors and their sycophant politicians who couldn't give a shyte about re opening pubs as they have little personal interest in going to them.

Say what you want about Boris Johnson, from the start of this his demeanor and his actions have been of a man just as eager to get out for a pint as the rest of us are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Dickie10

As thick as he is, as health minister Harris would have been aware that the general consensus was that a vaccine was at least three years away, due to both inventing the damn thing and it going through rigourous safety trials.

Now, as we all know, desperation has meant that these safety trials have been less rigourous than any other vaccine in history. There have been consequences to this, primarily only in women of under circa 50, to which the mantra has changed from "the vaccine is safe" to "the vaccine is very safe". I'll take mine, as men seem to have ha little to reported issues. If I were a young- ish woman I'd be wary, frankly.

But aside from all of that the point still stands- Simon Harris would have been advised in March/ April 2020 that a vaccine was likely 3 plus years away.

Simon Harris was of the opinion that crowded pubs, gigs, live sport, nightclubs could all go into hibernation for three years, maybe more, and sure, that's life.

To add insult to injury he gave the interview to the Indo who put it behind a paywall. Our health minister was having brainfarts on national policy that the majority of people were only given the headline grabbing quote of.

An absolute buffoon of a man. It says a lot about him and his attitude to youthful hijinks that he was health minister while still in his 20's championing minimum alcohol pricing legislation.

Fact of the matter is, none of these people care. Do you think Harris, or Ronan Glynn, or De Gascun, regularly set foot in pubs? When Glynn was filling in for Holohan for a few months he made Tony look like Liam Gallagher in the craic and charisma stakes, I can't exactly imagine him stumbling down Camden St at 4am on a regular basis. Our policy is being directed by advisors and their sycophant politicians who couldn't give a shyte about re opening pubs as they have little personal interest in going to them.

Say what you want about Boris Johnson, from the start of this his demeanor and his actions have been of a man just as eager to get out for a pint as the rest of us are.

pretty much sums it up, they have no interest in being in pubs chewing the fat, listening to music etc, but they do enjoy dining in fine restaurants and artsy gigs, so that will pave the way for the joe soap pub to open but we all know it will be through gritted teeth done grudgingly. they now cant open michelin star restaunts without opening the Auld Trinagle type pub, that really kills them....

Dickie10 wrote: »
    pretty much sums it up, they have no interest in being in pubs chewing the fat, listening to music etc, but they do enjoy dining in fine restaurants and artsy gigs, so that will pave the way for the joe soap pub to open but we all know it will be through gritted teeth done grudgingly. they now cant open michelin star restaunts without opening the Auld Trinagle type pub, that really kills them....

Their original plan was to do exactly that last summer, it was only when pubs that did food started arguing that they are technically restaurants and would re open when restaurants did that the government caved in and allowed them open too as they couldn't be bothered getting bogged down in legal argument about what is a restaurant and what is a pub. I'm just surprised they haven't tried saying that all restaurants and gastro pubs can re open but alcohol cannot be sold- I'm fairly sure Scotland did this for a few weeks? Can't imagine many even bothered opening mind.

Make no mistake, if they could have gotten away with it we wouldn't have had a pub open for a single day last summer into autumn.

In the end we got, 10 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭HBC08

The writing was on the wall once the UK delayed by a month.They are our barometer of what happens here a few weeks later and have been all along.
    I was a bit confused last week (was it Thurs?) at the NPHET briefing when they were so upbeat.It seemed pretty obvious to me at that stage that the delta variant would be on the rise soon and will be the dominant strain here in a few weeks.
    With our vaccination roll out behind theirs and our more conservative approach in general this was only going one way.
    My guess is they'll delay reopening for 3 weeks initially and then possibly further.Its a shame and I'm disappointed but that's how it's going to play out.We can't control that but we can control how we react to it. We'll have the usuals on here and over on the loon thread talking about Mehole,mental health,longest lockdown in Europe,demonstrations in the streets,uprisings and nothing will happen except it'll be later in the year when we can have indoor scoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Avon8

HBC08 wrote: »
    The writing was on the wall once the UK delayed by a month.They are our barometer of what happens here a few weeks later and have been all along.
    I was a bit confused last week (was it Thurs?) at the NPHET briefing when they were so upbeat.It seemed pretty obvious to me at that stage that the delta variant would be on the rise soon and will be the dominant strain here in a few weeks.
    With our vaccination roll out behind , and our more conservative approach in general this was only going one way.
    My guess is they'll delay reopening for 3 weeks initially and then possibly further.Its a shame and I'm disappointed but that's how it's going to play out.We can't control that but we can control how we react to it. We'll have the usuals on here and over on the loon thread talking about Mehole,mental health,longest lockdown in Europe,demonstrations in the streets,uprisings and nothing will happen except it'll be later in the year when we can have indoor scoops.

Not sure if its intentional but obviously we're not running a few weeks behind the UK all along. They've had indoor dining since mid may, spectators at events etc. Their push back by a month, which looks like itll go ahead fully in 3 weeks, was to remove all Covid restrictions and social distancing requirements and return to pre covid normal. If we delay until late July, we won't be a month behind the UK, we'll be in the exact same stage they were in mid April, despite our vaccination progress far exceeding where the UK were in mid April.

Not sure what your point is about people complaining either? Have we not had the longest lockdown in Europe? Should we not be compared to the rest of Europe? If Government believe public opinion is in favour of restrictions (as the impression has been all along), they'll feel under no pressure to open up. Thankfully people are now complaining relentlessly and pointing out the contradictions in guidelines and the comparisons with other countries. That's not just happening here, but all over social media, in certain parts of the MSM and with lobby groups. That pressure needs to be sustained

Avon8 wrote: »
    Not sure if its intentional but obviously we're not running a few weeks behind the UK all along. They've had indoor dining since mid may, spectators at events etc. Their push back by a month, which looks like itll go ahead fully in 3 weeks, was to remove all Covid restrictions and social distancing requirements and return to pre covid normal. If we delay until late July, we won't be a month behind the UK, we'll be in the exact same stage they were in mid April, despite our vaccination progress far exceeding where the UK were in mid April.

Exactly this.

I'm struggling to see what the Brits are so annoyed about. So freedom day got cancelled- all it really was was no more masks on the bus and being allowed go to nightclubs. Probably for three weeks.

It's a minor annoyance compared to what we are looking at. We haven't even been told we will get a freedom day- various shadowy figures are still claiming we will be wearing masks an social distancing in October, vaccines at 80% or not. Completely at odds with everywhere else.

Eamon Ryan today said he was very confident that international travel would return on July 19th.

I have little doubt that we may have a situation whereby I can fly to Luton, or Bradford, or some other Indian variant spot, and have a few pints, and come home the same day, but won't be allowed inside a pub in my home city.

Staggering stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭HBC08

Avon8 wrote: »

Not sure what your point is about people complaining either? Have we not had the longest lockdown in Europe? Should we not be compared to the rest of Europe? If Government believe public opinion is in favour of restrictions (as the impression has been all along), they'll feel under no pressure to open up. Thankfully people are now complaining relentlessly and pointing out the contradictions in guidelines and the comparisons with other countries. That's not just happening here, but all over social media, in certain parts of the MSM and with lobby groups. That pressure needs to be sustained

You misunderstand me,whatever amount of weeks we are behind the UK in roll out is amplified by our cautious administration. Therefore when I saw the UK delayed their freedom day by a month I knew that the delta variant was serious and there's no way we'd be reopening as planned.I realise their reopening was the end of all restrictions and ours in less ambitious, we're not exactly comparing like with like but the point stands.

HBC08 wrote: »
    You misunderstand me,whatever amount of weeks we are behind the UK in roll out is amplified by our cautious administration. Therefore when I saw the UK delayed their freedom day by a month I knew that the delta variant was serious and there's no way we'd be reopening as planned.I realise their reopening was the end of all restrictions and ours in less ambitious, we're not exactly comparing like with like but the point stands.

What makes it more ridiculous is our government comparing the spread there like for like. The spread there started in neighbourhoods full of people from the Indian subcontinent, many living in three generation households. We don't have communities from there with their own enclaves, the spread was never going to be as rapid here.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    ah now lads drink limits! come on. BUT i would be 80:20 that the pubs will not open for indoor dining til about august 8th at least , who knows after that. we all know at this stage tony would love to keep them shut forever.

I think it will be before that but there will be some rules. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

2 bigger local pubs that refused to open if only outdoor have started posting to Facebook about the excitement of reopening on the 5th. Pics of new menus and the likes so at least the vintners in my area seem confident it is going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

ShooterSF wrote: »
    2 bigger local pubs that refused to open if only outdoor have started posting to Facebook about the excitement of reopening on the 5th. Pics of new menus and the likes so at least the vintners in my area seem confident it is going ahead.

Not a chance. It'll be nearly August. Pints outdoors. Cans indoors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭dodzy

baldbear wrote: »
    Not a chance. It'll be nearly August. Pints outdoors. Cans indoors

Every day that passes without an increase in hospital numbers is really the only barometer that should be paid heed to. And every day that cases fail to rise will surely make it harder to push this poxy lockdown out any further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 honirelandboy

Few cans after slaughtering pints -

Who wears shorts shorts

• Registered Users Posts: 38,074 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Few cans after slaughtering pints -

Who wears shorts shorts

I wear shorts shorts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

dodzy wrote: »
    Every day that passes without an increase in hospital numbers is really the only barometer that should be paid heed to. And every day that cases fail to rise will surely make it harder to push this poxy lockdown out any further.

Agreed. I don't understand how the UK aren't on the mandatory quarantine list..it makes a mockery of hunting pubs won't be opening. I heard there are 6 million pints ready for the reopening. If they are wasted it will be a national scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Listening to the chatter on the radio and from briefings and I have to say there is no way that indoor drinking is happening. I have heard on the grapevine from a source in FG that a compromise of indoor dining being allowed again with the time limits, so differentiating from wet pubs, which is something at least.

Listening to the chatter on the radio and from briefings and I have to say there is no way that indoor drinking is happening. I have heard on the grapevine from a source in FG that a compromise of indoor dining being allowed again with the time limits, so differentiating from wet pubs, which is something at least.

Ah your old FG source.

Your troll game is week, fam, as the kidz would say.

Dr T wouldn't allow the time limits option. These lads know it would be unenforced as the Gardai of this country have, aside from the Holy Joes down in Galway, have had it up to here with this nonsense as much as anybody else. I can imagine Garda morale in central Dublin, D15, Ballsbridge must be fairly low given they are tasked with enforcing Covid breaches while being ordered to stand down while BLM wasters are allowed to hold illegal protests with impunity.

While the possibility of three weeks was given, as I said earlier that would make the first open weekend a bank holiday weekend. Not a chance we will be allowed that, it runs the risk of people enjoying themselves and too many pubs that are on their last legs just about surviving.

A five or so week extension from July 5th will be just enough to permanently force a few more old man pubs out of existence just as NPHET wants.

Something I just realised the other day. Due to a combination of Covid cancellations, FIFA corruption and our backwards, sycophantic government, there will be a six year gap, where normally it is two, between the last and next time I will have enjoyed watching international tournament football in the height of summer inside a crowded pub with a few friends (2018 being the last, 2024 being the next. Hopefully). Summer tournaments hold a bit of a reasonance with me pub wise as World Cup summer 2002 was the first time I managed to successfully pass myself off as an adult with any regularity.

Allowing us watch any of the Euros inside was never on the cards. Imagine if we had actually qualified for it (although let's be honest, the chances of us having been in it by July 5th were fairly slim :pac: )

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/martin-and-varadkar-differ-on-reopening-expected-40584487.html

I suppose when election time comes Leo has to explain exactly what differs FG from FF, sluggish re opening will be his card to play.

That stuttering bumbling gobshyte Mehole surely has to come out and say July 26th, no ifs or buts, no matter if we are on 5000 cases a day.

I heard a bit on the radio news yesterday, 2- 3 weeks has now become a request of 4 to 5 weeks from some gobdaw off NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Apparently the Taoiseach was on the Week in Politics earlier and was a bit more positive about a July 5th reopening.

I think it just proves that there is no point in speculating too much and we just have to wait until the big meeting next week to see what actually happens. Think it's on Tuesday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

• Advertisement

The last 24 seconds are the positive part.

Makes no difference. The man is an idiot and will blindly follow what Tony tells him to do. As if that lad will recommend opening pubs.

When it comes to lifting, who actually decides?

Is it a cabinet vote?

Two out of the three coalition leaders?

Or David Brent himself alone?

Advertisement