Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

Drumpot wrote: »
    There's a few major differences between a cinema and a Pub I can think off the top of my head.

In a cinema you wont see much chatting, singing or shouting during the movie. Drinking Alcohol reduces peoples inhibitions and responsibility by default. Its not a popular fact to acknowledge, but there's a reason why we are encouraged not to do dangerous things when drinking alcohol. It is far easier to manage social distancing in cinemas aswell as people do not move around much. I have never seen a cinema toilet as busy as a toilet from a pub. And when people get Tipsey they are far more likely to be less compliant and reasonable when asked to be compliant.

In terms of why pubs are opening in Europe and not here, that's a different topic.

MM was asked about cinemas and theatres having access only for vaccinated people.
    He said they would work with the different sectors...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

the kelt wrote: »
    Apparently communions and confirmations were on and are now off, again.

Anyone know?

Yup they're part of indoor events pushed back

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Are the clowns trying to encourage foreign travel in July with the vaccine passport, go on my holidays and have a drink in the pub or go into the North for a drink! Absolute farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

There's a few major differences between a cinema and a Pub I can think off the top of my head.

In a cinema you wont see much chatting, singing or shouting during the movie. Drinking Alcohol reduces peoples inhibitions and responsibility by default. Its not a popular fact to acknowledge, but there's a reason why we are encouraged not to do dangerous things when drinking alcohol. It is far easier to manage social distancing in cinemas aswell as people do not move around much. I have never seen a cinema toilet as busy as a toilet from a pub. And when people get Tipsey they are far more likely to be less compliant and reasonable when asked to be compliant.

In terms of why pubs are opening in Europe and not here, that's a different topic.

Whatever about pubs, restaurants can be safer and easier to manage social distancing so why should they be discriminated against here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Scientists in Scotland had feared that hospital cases would rise rapidly from 128 on Saturday to more than 750 by the end of July. There was a chance that nearly 2,000 people would end up in hospital by the end of next month, close to the second wave peak at the end of January.
    But Scottish government forecasters have lowered estimates to 200-300 hospital cases by the end of next month.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/covid-in-scotland-experts-say-indian-variant-will-have-less-impact-than-feared-n733vcj2k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭rodge123

Newstalk reading your messages! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's exhausting. I laughed at some of the posters here when they said that NPHET would aggressively resist lifting of restrictions no matter how well the vax programme was going and no matter how low cases got. Not laughing any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Of those who were fully vaccinated who caught the Delta variant, 50 died, data from Public Health England that was published on Friday indicated.

The figure represents almost half of the total 117 deaths associated with the variant in the UK, where Delta now represents most cases.

But experts said this does not undermine what we know about the efficacy of the vaccines, given that the deaths come from age groups at higher risk and represent a tiny proportion of the 92,029 Delta cases analyzed.

Eight people under the age of 50 died after getting the Delta variant, the data showed. None was fully vaccinated, while two had received one dose of the vaccine.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/vaccinated-among-delta-deaths-but-older-relatively-few-uk-data-2021-6%3famp

50 deaths out of 92k cases isnt enough to shut down so much.

Stop it with your logical analysis of the numbers, we want the big scary graphic that is misleading and spreads fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

rodge123 wrote: »
    Newstalk reading your messages! ;)

And agreeing with it . . :p

The UK had 3 deaths yesterday, and 11 deaths previous to that.

Given we have a population 13x less, this is the equivalent of not even 1 death here - at best, a pair of arms.

The UK are 2-3 weeks ahead of us, so goes the saying, so why the the next 2-weeks considered that important here? They are consumed with the Indian variant.

The entire ruling by NPHET makes no sense at all.

• Advertisement

Just cancelled a long weekend in Kerry next month (€285) and a five-night stay in Donegal (€750) around the August Bank Holiday.

That's over a thousand euro - without a bite of food or a pint of stout drunk - the Government has just taken from small businesses in its jurisdiction and sent to northern Ireland instead.

This will be happening up and down the country today. The worst Taoiseach in the history of the state: a toxic combination of scared and spiteful which is going to take generations to recover from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before but whats the story with 50 at a wedding ... is that 50 at the ceremony or reception ... and can the reception/meal be indoors? I'm hugely confused Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Are the clowns trying to encourage foreign travel in July with the vaccine passport, go on my holidays and have a drink in the pub or go into the North for a drink! Absolute farce.

If I could bet money on foreign travel not being allowed on the 19th I would. Of course people can always just drive to the North, but at this point I'm assuming they either forget it exists or they think covid exists only south of Newry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

https://twitter.com/MarcMacsharryTD/status/1409850227717251073?s=19

A FF TD. It hasn't gone down well. The heave may be finally on.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 johnboy1298

Anyone who goes out and votes in the next election should really ask why they even bother. Politics in this country is in dire straits, a huge shake up needs to happen and get some actual leadership back into our political parties. What's happening at the moment in this country is crazy and not one person from any of the main parties even questioning it. Stuck in never ending lockdown with the debt piling up, every other country opening up and nobody in politics or mainstream media really putting the pressure on and asking why??

I honestly don't understand it at all, but the worst of it is there isn't one electable party that I'd look at and think could do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

VinLieger wrote: »
    Not according to what I heard on Virgin earlier, they said 70%+ have had 1 dose.

Nope. Stephen Donnelly on RTE yesterday detailed that 41% of Ireland's adult population has been fully vaccinated, with 65% having received one dose.

It remains that with regard to protection from the Delta variant, Public Health England have detailed that one dose of any vaccine only affords 33% protection from symptomatic infection , putting extra emphasis on the need for full vaccination.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

image.jpg

You sure?

When it comes to AZ and the elderly - a person aged over 80 who is fully vaccinated has the same risk as an unvaccinated under 50.

If i remember right the mess of an AZ trial was too tailored to ever get real efficacy for elderly - with their miriad of issues.

So far the info from the UK is pretty ropey - only seem to be stating 0.13% mortality rate with nobody under 50 who has been vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Erm...... He does realise he's in a government party right? No point giving out on Twitter. Do something about it!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The gob****e is a member of a government party. Is he going to be like that other government TD who claims to have nothing to do with anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

eskimohunt wrote: »
    The UK had 3 deaths yesterday, and 11 deaths previous to that.

Given we have a population 13x less, this is the equivalent of not even 1 death here - at best, a pair of arms.

The UK are 2-3 weeks ahead of us, so goes the saying, so why the the next 2-weeks considered that important here? They are consumed with the Indian variant.

The entire ruling by NPHET makes no sense at all.

Careful now, NPHET and the media will start saying covid causes you to lose your arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Butson

A total embarrassment of a country at this stage.

Infantile nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Anyone who goes out and votes in the next election should really ask why they even bother. Politics in this country is in dire straits, a huge shake up needs to happen and get some actual leadership back into our political parties. What's happening at the moment in this country is crazy and not one person from any of the main parties even questioning it. Stuck in never ending lockdown with the debt piling up, every other country opening up and nobody in politics or mainstream media really putting the pressure on and asking why??

I honestly don't understand it at all, but the worst of it is there isn't one electable party that I'd look at and think could do better.

I will go to the ballot box but I'll be spoiling my vote. As someone who works in aviation as far as I'm concerned none of them are deserving of my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

MOR316 wrote: »
    MM was asked about cinemas and theatres having access only for vaccinated people.
    He said they would work with the different sectors...

Does this mean kids (none of whom are vaccinated) can't go to the cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Hurrache wrote: »
    The gob****e is a member of a government party. Is he going to be like that other government TD who claims to have nothing to do with anything?

All of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Stheno wrote: »

Are they afraid of a chronically disfunctioning health system being exposed again.

This summer has now become a write off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

titan18 wrote: »
    Whatever about pubs, restaurants can be safer and easier to manage social distancing so why should they be discriminated against here.

True but I would still class them as higher risk then cinemas. I think this is part of the confusion that has caused issues. Its not completely clear how different industries are being rated in terms of risk.

But I feel this is basically a risk assessment, the government are trying to manage opening up the economy in a manner that serves the most but keeps the risk lower while we vaccinate.

I understand publicans and owners of restaurants finding this very very hard and being extremely unhappy about it. But it makes sense when you look at it from a broad sense of what is worth a risk and what is not. People keep acting as though this is a very simple thing to manage and Ireland is the only country in the world to make mistakes or be overly cautious. People select tidbits from other countries as it suits the point they want to make, but every country is generally trying to find its own way to manage this. But equally every country is not facing the exact same issues. Every country doesn't have the same health service , so comparing like for like is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Eli1

Will indoor dining in hotels continue as notmal if staying overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭dmakc

At this stage maybe it's us who should join the North and not the other way round...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Wanted to come home on the 11th for two weeks, I was even prepared to pay for the stupid PCR tests even though I'm fully vaccinated.
    Still undecided if I should bother with the b&b in Donegal or just say **** it and go north.

Advertisement