Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

benny79 wrote: »
    What happens with a NR? back in the old days you used to get a .1 back. So what happens now?
    Lots of options on this pretty flowchart:

556024.jpg

blue note wrote: »
    I'd like to see hdid change the NRs to net double bogey on the system. When you look at the average score on the hole, it's the average score of those who returned a score. It would give a truer picture of how difficult the holes were on the day.

Also, for your own stats when it shows you your best and worst holes, it can distort what your best hole is. I went through a phase of slicing my drive on 12 and losing the ball (and scratching the hole) while hdid was telling me it was one of my best holes.
    There are different rules for entering your score for a competition to what is submitted for handicap purposes. You're effectively asking the software to enter an incorrect hole score (or entering it yourself).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

prawnsambo wrote: »
    There are different rules for entering your score for a competition to what is submitted for handicap purposes. You're effectively asking the software to enter an incorrect hole score (or entering it yourself).

Or just asking to software to assign a score of whatever a net double bogey is for that player when calculating the average hole for each score. I can't imagine that's a complicated comp. I'd say it's just not something that they care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

benny79 wrote: »
    What happens with a NR? back in the old days you used to get a .1 back. So what happens now?

Have one on my record, oldest one left Benny. A score of 117 strokes was assigned to it. Essentially a net double bogey to all holes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

Not sure if this has been covered before so apologies in advance, but has anyone played V Par under the WHS yet ?
    We had a V Par singles comp recently where I finished -1 (ie 1 down), with 5 wins and 6 losses, yet the conversion of "losses" to net double bogey results in a score that would be the equivalent of 30pts or nett 6 over par.
    Is it just me or is this a pretty unfair conversion given a bogey is a loss in V Par but if you just entered the loss, as opposed to the actual score taken, you get the net double bogey conversion ? Lets say you miss a putt for a par (and a half), and don't tap it in because its a loss regardless, you seem to get credited with the double bogey. Maybe I'm missing something, I dunno, but it seemed odd that my adjusted gross showed up as 86 when realistically it was 80/81.

• Advertisement

Have one on my record, oldest one left Benny. A score of 117 strokes was assigned to it. Essentially a net double bogey to all holes

I've a 140 recorded in narin. I think we needed some app to record the score or something. Pro shop was closed. I gave up trying to find out pretty quick in fairness.

I'm not sure how many I actually took that day, but it felt like about 140 anyway.

Or just asking to software to assign a score of whatever a net double bogey is for that player when calculating the average hole for each score. I can't imagine that's a complicated comp. I'd say it's just not something that they care about.
    From what you're saying, you want this to happen only when it's working out your average hole score?

If so, not easy at all. It would be a nightmarish job to program that into the software. Basically to take a NR and turn it into a value based on your handicap at the time when that value isn't (and can't be) stored anywhere. Shudder.

From what you're saying, you want this to happen only when it's working out your average hole score?

If so, not easy at all. It would be a nightmarish job to program that into the software. Basically to take a NR and turn it into a value based on your handicap at the time when that value isn't (and can't be) stored anywhere. Shudder.

I can't imagine it would be complicated. I'm no programmer, but if it's anything like excel it would be straightforward. The program already works out your points based on your handicap at the time anyway, so that isn't a problem. And then you could just wrap an if function into the score for each hole - to give you the 18 scores adjusted for NRs.

There's just no way that's a complicated one for a computer programmer.

Russman wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been covered before so apologies in advance, but has anyone played V Par under the WHS yet ?
    We had a V Par singles comp recently where I finished -1 (ie 1 down), with 5 wins and 6 losses, yet the conversion of "losses" to net double bogey results in a score that would be the equivalent of 30pts or nett 6 over par.
    Is it just me or is this a pretty unfair conversion given a bogey is a loss in V Par but if you just entered the loss, as opposed to the actual score taken, you get the net double bogey conversion ? Lets say you miss a putt for a par (and a half), and don't tap it in because its a loss regardless, you seem to get credited with the double bogey. Maybe I'm missing something, I dunno, but it seemed odd that my adjusted gross showed up as 86 when realistically it was 80/81.
    The only solution to this is to finish the hole and record your score. The system can't 'guess' how many strokes you took if you didn't enter any. I know in theory, you pick up if you're at nett bogey, but there's a big difference handicap-wise between nett bogey and nett double-bogey. Say you pick up after a couple of penalty strokes without reaching the green, a nett bogey would not be a fair reflection of that hole score.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

We have, with a note that you put in a score for each hole as per normal comps, no different that picking up if not getting a point on hole in stableford, you finish out as normal for score unless over net double.

• Advertisement

I can't imagine it would be complicated. I'm no programmer, but if it's anything like excel it would be straightforward. The program already works out your points based on your handicap at the time anyway, so that isn't a problem. And then you could just wrap an if function into the score for each hole - to give you the 18 scores adjusted for NRs.

There's just no way that's a complicated one for a computer programmer.
    Club software works off databases for speed. So you'd have to add new columns for the data that you want to keep, calculations to actually work out what that data is and also columns for historical handicaps and calculations for that as well. Just to see your average hole score?

I definitely think you should go for it in Excel. Far, far easier to just copy and paste your results into a spreadsheet, substitute all your NRs with NDBs and work away. :)

Club software works off databases for speed. So you'd have to add new columns for the data that you want to keep, calculations to actually work out what that data is and also columns for historical handicaps and calculations for that as well. Just to see your average hole score?

I definitely think you should go for it in Excel. Far, far easier to just copy and paste your results into a spreadsheet, substitute all your NRs with NDBs and work away. :)

The fact that it works out points means it already has your handicap at the time. Or from my limited knowledge of access - after you have all the scores entered you might spew out a few reports that will have the points per player, average per score, etc. So maybe it doesn't need to store historical handicaps because the reports are generated and then set in stone. And adjusting the gross scores to whatever the net double bogey for a person is could easily be part of that.

I just can't believe that this would be a complicated change to make to the software. But I do believe that the have better things to do than change this!

The only solution to this is to finish the hole and record your score. The system can't 'guess' how many strokes you took if you didn't enter any. I know in theory, you pick up if you're at nett bogey, but there's a big difference handicap-wise between nett bogey and nett double-bogey. Say you pick up after a couple of penalty strokes without reaching the green, a nett bogey would not be a fair reflection of that hole score.

Oh I totally agree the system can't guess at your score, of course not, and I suppose its ultimately swings and roundabouts in that you'll get the benefit of a net double bogey when you might have a 10. Its probably more a communication issue in the club tbh where it needs to be made clear that you have to finish out, even your losses.
    Which then leads to the place of play argument, but thats for another day :D
    Kinda makes V Par redundant in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

Played an open day Friday (still waiting for my score to reappear in the GI and for the results of the comp) and the 6th hole was closed. I just entered 0 for that hole when I was returning my card. Had a pretty decent score so it'll be interesting to see if that hole is adjusted to a 4 or a 6. Surely the club were able to "close" that hole in the software too.

Oh I totally agree the system can't guess at your score, of course not, and I suppose its ultimately swings and roundabouts in that you'll get the benefit of a net double bogey when you might have a 10. Its probably more a communication issue in the club tbh where it needs to be made clear that you have to finish out, even your losses.
    Which then leads to the place of play argument, but thats for another day :D
    Kinda makes V Par redundant in a way.
    Well it's just to finish out if it's going to be less than NDB. Wouldn't have too much of an effect on pace of play if a lad has to take a putt where he'd normally pick up. It would be just one stroke really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

cjfitz wrote: »
    Played an open day Friday (still waiting for my score to reappear in the GI and for the results of the comp) and the 6th hole was closed. I just entered 0 for that hole when I was returning my card. Had a pretty decent score so it'll be interesting to see if that hole is adjusted to a 4 or a 6. Surely the club were able to "close" that hole in the software too.

A counting score can only be 9 or 18 holes. I doubt you will see that score on your record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

When putting a card in for general play a scratch will be registered as a NR. Because general play scores are strokes based and not stableford the club softwares are designed to show the round and hole as NR (not to be confused with “no score recorded”. It would be a pain for them to rewrite the code to have a different scoring system for normal strokes as apposed to general play.

Remember the club software does very little calculation anymore, I don’t blame them in saying let the home union work it out. In saying that I’m sure they will get round to adding a nett double bogey at some stage.

If your card has a NR for general play, Golf Ireland will adjust that to a nett double bogey for your score differential.

A counting score can only be 9 or 18 holes. I doubt you will see that score on your record.
    I'm pretty sure that an acceptable score (for an 18 hole scorecard) is a minimum ten holes played.

Well it's just to finish out if it's going to be less than NDB. Wouldn't have too much of an effect on pace of play if a lad has to take a putt where he'd normally pick up. It would be just one stroke really.

True enough. I'd guess that in my club, few if anyone actually thought it through enough to highlight it really. And I suppose, few enough will really care anyway !

Its an interesting one though, the WHS really puts the emphasis on stroke play and for a format like, for example, V Par, where the old "if you have two, take two" adage would have been true, there's a different slant to it now from a handicapping perspective as opposed to a competition of the day perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Does anyone know the rule for singles matchplay? Is it the course or playing handicaps that should be used? And is it 100% of the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the rule for singles matchplay? Is it the course or playing handicaps that should be used? And is it 100% of the difference?

https://static.clubhouse.golfireland.ie/clubs/1000/uploads/files/gi_whs_presentation.pdf

heres a good guide from golf ireland.

Individual matchplay 100% difference using course handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Submitted another 9 hole around this evening, worst golf I've played since I joined a club in January but I think that's now my 7th score so the minus deduction is gone and back up to 10.9 from 9.9 which is still a fair bit lower than I think I should be but a decent starting point. Can anyone tell me if this means that from now I just keep submitting cards until I have the 20 and it will average the lowest 8 then or does it change the calculation as I work my way through the rounds? As in I can see now on golf Ireland that its my lowest 2 scores counting and the average of the 2 score differentials but does it stay as the lowest 2 until I have submitted or does it expand out to 3/4/5/6 and so until I have 8 lowest out of 20?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

It expands out :)

WHSCalculations.png

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Submitted another 9 hole around this evening, worst golf I've played since I joined a club in January but I think that's now my 7th score so the minus deduction is gone and back up to 10.9 from 9.9 which is still a fair bit lower than I think I should be but a decent starting point. Can anyone tell me if this means that from now I just keep submitting cards until I have the 20 and it will average the lowest 8 then or does it change the calculation as I work my way through the rounds? As in I can see now on golf Ireland that its my lowest 2 scores counting and the average of the 2 score differentials but does it stay as the lowest 2 until I have submitted or does it expand out to 3/4/5/6 and so until I have 8 lowest out of 20?

Its done on a pro rata basis.

3 cards from 9 to 11 cards
    4 cards from 12 to 14 cards
    5 cards from 15 or 16 cards
    6 cards from 17 or 18 cards
    7 cards from 19 cards
    And finally 8 cards from 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Rikand wrote: »
    It expands out :)
    RGS wrote: »
    Its done on a pro rata basis.

3 cards from 9 to 11 cards
    4 cards from 12 to 14 cards
    5 cards from 15 or 16 cards
    6 cards from 17 or 18 cards
    7 cards from 19 cards
    And finally 8 cards from 20.

Thanks for that lads, that makes sense. So will have a fair idea of what my form is by the time I've 12 cards gone in hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Since the restart my handicap has been sprinting in the wrong direction but now I've arrested the slump, gone back below the 'soft cap' and 5 of my last 6 rounds are in my counting 8 with the last 5 of the 20 being my worst rounds by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Since the restart my handicap has been sprinting in the wrong direction but now I've arrested the slump, gone back below the 'soft cap' and 5 of my last 6 rounds are in my counting 8 with the last 5 of the 20 being my worst rounds by far.

Sounds like me, except I have yet to arrest the slump!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I entered some casual cards the weekend for the first time. Had quite a bad day the first day, lost balls on quite a few holes which resulted in scratches.

I put down a 10 for all these holes in the app, i presume this is ok as it gets corrected or should i have gone higher than 10?

DuckSlice wrote: »
    I entered some casual cards the weekend for the first time. Had quite a bad day the first day, lost balls on quite a few holes which resulted in scratches.

I put down a 10 for all these holes in the app, i presume this is ok as it gets corrected or should i have gone higher than 10?
    All scratches are recorded as nett double bogeys. So unless you have four shots on a par 5, you're fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

I'm pretty sure that an acceptable score (for an 18 hole scorecard) is a minimum ten holes played.

Spot on again, prawnsambo. My score came through last week despite only 17 holes being open for the comp. The closed hole was adjusted to a net double bogey.

Advertisement