Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Daughter did a casual 9 tonight. Played well. Score is uploaded to Golf Ireland but it's not being included in handicap calculation. It's her best score to date. Does it take a while to recalculate her HC?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I think it updates overnight when its a one of the lowest eight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,312 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I think it updates overnight when its a one of the lowest eight.
    Yeah, it's overnight. It doesn't have to be one of the best eight since a new score could push an old best eight score out of your latest twenty. So they all can potentially change your handicap index.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah, it's overnight. It doesn't have to be one of the best eight since a new score could push an old best eight score out of your latest twenty. So they all can potentially change your handicap index.

How is 9 holes treated? Does it not need to combine up with a second 9 holes to make an 18 for one of the 20 scores before it will be considered?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

37 points for my best round of the year

6 par
    10 bogies
    2 doubles

No scratches and kept the same ball for the full round is progress. Hcap index cut from 13. 9 to 13.3 so down a full shot on my playing hcap

• Advertisement

How is 9 holes treated? Does it not need to combine up with a second 9 holes to make an 18 for one of the 20 scores before it will be considered?
    No. They only did that for conversion scores from CONGU rounds. We now have course and slope ratings for front and back nines on each set of tees, so score differentials can be calculated for them separately.

No. They only did that for conversion scores from CONGU rounds. We now have course and slope ratings for front and back nines on each set of tees, so score differentials can be calculated for them separately.

I get that, but how do you take the average of 7.5 rounds or 8.5 rounds? Do you not need to have 2*9 hole scores (even if they are on different courses etc) to correctly run your average score calc under the system? I know under the US system, when you posted a 9 hole score it sits as pending until you post a second 9 to pair it with and create a synthetic 18 hole score differential for factoring into your average calc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I get that, but how do you take the average of 7.5 rounds or 8.5 rounds? Do you not need to have 2*9 hole scores (even if they are on different courses etc) to correctly run your average score calc under the system? I know under the US system, when you posted a 9 hole score it sits as pending until you post a second 9 to pair it with and create a synthetic 18 hole score differential for factoring into your average calc

A 9 hole round is not a 0.5 round. As I understand it, the score differential is calculated and is treated as any of the 18 hole score differential.

Edit: OK this is still confusing for me.. all the info seems to indicate that we scale up to 18 holes, but its not clear how that is actually done.

A 9 hole round is not a 0.5 round. As I understand it, the score differential is calculated and is treated as any of the 18 hole score differential.

Is it multiplied by 2 to make it equivalent to an 18 hole score then?

If I play 9 in 5 over for a net differential of 4, in handicap terms that should surely be equivalent to an ND of 8, not 4

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Its assumes par to your handicap for the non played 9 , i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

If that was the case in the US it would be different now under WHS you would imagine

Is it multiplied by 2 to make it equivalent to an 18 hole score then?

If I play 9 in 5 over for a net differential of 4, in handicap terms that should surely be equivalent to an ND of 8, not 4
    No. You literally have a course rating and slope rating for the holes played and your handicap based on the indexes for the holes played. So everything is already pro-rata giving an accurate score differential. Here's an example of how it would look on a handicap record Note that the playing handicap is calculated for the nine holes in question and the score differential is within the same ball park without any doubling or other manipulation.

557194.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

How do I cancel a round on the Golf Ireland App?

I picked the wrong tee's so just played without keeping score. The whites were not out so it's not a case of just switching tees.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

When you enter a team competition your score does not count towards your handicap but can you enter your score on the competition computer for the comp and also on the Golf Ireland app to count towards your handicap?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

dan_ep82 wrote: »

I picked the wrong tee's so just played without keeping score. The whites were not out so it's not a case of just switching tees.

I made a balls of my first round on it. It stayed for a week or so but then disappeared. I'm not sure if it's a system setting or if our HC Sec deleted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

PARlance wrote: »
    I made a balls of my first round on it. It stayed for a week or so but then disappeared. I'm not sure if it's a system setting or if our HC Sec deleted it.

I think the club can delete them

Seve OB wrote: »
    I think the club can delete them
    There's the wonderfully named "Unsatisfied Score Intents" report available to clubs on the WHS portal. :)

Wobs wrote: »
    When you enter a team competition your score does not count towards your handicap but can you enter your score on the competition computer for the comp and also on the Golf Ireland app to count towards your handicap?
    Assuming you play the round according to the rules of singles golf. No gimmes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I would’ve said it shouldn’t and should be for singles play only.

Different mentality with a team event (ie all play own ball to finish hole and 1 score counts). You may be taking on crazy shots/arseing about with irrelevant putts. Completely different psychologically.

In saying that, I don’t know the answer.

Edit: Can see above poster said you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I sent a message to our committee guys on this, as I played team comps, that were, in essence, stableford comps 2 weeks in a row.

Was told an answer of NO, citing the following:

Scores for handicap purposes can only be played in individual stroke play format and can be in competition or casual round format as per Rule 2.1a of the Congu Rules of Handicapping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 dmc100

dan_ep82 wrote: »

Happened a mate before. Picked the back 9 instead of the front. If you go into the app and click Enter Score. Swipe left on the round before clicking into it and it should allow you to delete. You have to give a reason for deleting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

dmc100 wrote: »
    Happened a mate before. Picked the back 9 instead of the front. If you go into the app and click Enter Score. Swipe left on the round before clicking into it and it should allow you to delete. You have to give a reason for deleting.

This worked for me, thanks for that

I sent a message to our committee guys on this, as I played team comps, that were, in essence, stableford comps 2 weeks in a row.

Was told an answer of NO, citing the following:

Scores for handicap purposes can only be played in individual stroke play format and can be in competition or casual round format as per Rule 2.1a of the Congu Rules of Handicapping.
    They're right and wrong at the same time. :)

That's the rule for acceptable formats of play for handicapping purposes under WHS/Golf Ireland. They're taking the strict view that the score you put in in the team competition is not acceptable for handicap purposes. This is correct.

However (as I said above - and now elaborating on), you can fill out a separate card on the day for yourself and play the team competition according to the rules of singles play and submit that card as a GP score attested by one of your partners.

We have done this at our club under CONGU where members are playing in the club matchplay comps on days when club competitions are being run and entering their score from the matchplay in the club comp. Obviously no gimmes etc. Singles (or fourball) matchplay are not currently acceptable formats for handicap, but it's perfectly acceptable to do it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

That's the rule for acceptable formats of play for handicapping purposes under WHS/Golf Ireland. They're taking the strict view that the score you put in in the team competition is not acceptable for handicap purposes. This is correct.

However (as I said above - and now elaborating on), you can fill out a separate card on the day for yourself and play the team competition according to the rules of singles play and submit that card as a GP score attested by one of your partners.

We have done this at our club under CONGU where members are playing in the club matchplay comps on days when club competitions are being run and entering their score from the matchplay in the club comp. Obviously no gimmes etc. Singles (or fourball) matchplay are not currently acceptable formats for handicap, but it's perfectly acceptable to do it this way.

Is it not against the rules of golf to double up formats of play or discouraged as the rules can be quite different?.

DuckSlice wrote: »
    Is it not against the rules of golf to double up formats of play or discouraged as the rules can be quite different?.
    As I said. You must play by the rules of singles golf. So long as you do that, you're fine. And you can quite easily play matchplay under those rules. You can be given gimmes for the matchplay, but must hole out for the stroke/stableford score. Can lead to some interesting outcomes like getting a gimme and then missing the putt. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

As I said. You must play by the rules of singles golf. So long as you do that, you're fine. And you can quite easily play matchplay under those rules. You can be given gimmes for the matchplay, but must hole out for the stroke/stableford score. Can lead to some interesting outcomes like getting a gimme and then missing the putt. :)

Yea I have done that before but stopped doing it as i prefer to concentrate on the match. Below is all i could find on the RANDA website. You dont even have to bother with the gimmes as they have to putt out anyway, but i suppose they wouldnt give any back in that case.

The combining of match play and stroke play is discouraged as certain Rules are substantially different between the two formats. But there will be times when players either request to combine the two forms of play or, having done so on their own, request a ruling. The Committee should make its best efforts to support players at these times and should use the following guidelines in doing so.

If a Committee chooses to allow players to play a match while competing in a stroke-play competition, it is recommended that the players be advised that the Rules for stroke play apply throughout. For example, no concessions are allowed and if one player plays out of turn, the other does not have the option of recalling the stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Ok, so we could have entered into the fourball via the computer, and logged a casual round via the app...theoretically, assuming we played under singles stableford conditions. I'd assumed that would be the case, but took the guidance of the committee and didnt enter the casual rounds

DuckSlice wrote: »
    Yea I have done that before but stopped doing it as i prefer to concentrate on the match. Below is all i could find on the RANDA website. You dont even have to bother with the gimmes as they have to putt out anyway, but i suppose they wouldnt give any back in that case.
    Yeah, it's not ideal as they are two very different mindsets and even approaches to each shot. But it can be often the case that members have to play their matchplay rounds on weekends when a competition is on and this could be an important comp that they want to enter. So committees should allow this with the proviso that they insist on singles rules of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Thanks for the replies!

I was asking as I had played in a 2 person team event where we had to input both our scores anyway and I shot my best round by 10 shots, was disapointed that it wouldn't count towards my handicap.

I played and finished all holes and recorded my scores the same way I would have in a normal singles comp, so was just wondering next time I played in a similar format if I could enter scores seperatley. I can see why it wouldn't be ideal in other team formats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Yeah, it's not ideal as they are two very different mindsets and even approaches to each shot. But it can be often the case that members have to play their matchplay rounds on weekends when a competition is on and this could be an important comp that they want to enter. So committees should allow this with the proviso that they insist on singles rules of play.

The problem too you have to call your opponent on everything as you have a duty to protect the field rather than just worry about the impact to the match. In stroke play you would be expecting the player to call penalties on himself but in match play you are always watching to ensure they don't get an advantage. It can get a bit tense quickly and no great for any playing partners :)

Also it also can slow the field down as you could have to finish holes out in a field playing stableford. I've won a hole with an 11 before but I could imagine the group behind in a stableford comp not being too happy watching that sh1te :pac:

Advertisement