Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Cona44 wrote: »
    It’s actually highly unlikely that he could of done it and not leave some form of evidence behind.

But someone did do it and not leave some form of evidence behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cona44

Sadb wrote: »
    But someone did do it and not leave some form of evidence behind.

Yeah this is the hardest part for me...was there really no dna left at the scene? Was it just mishandled after being left outside so long or was it somehow covered up by AGS?

Does anyone know the exact string of events when Gardai arrived onsite?
    Who entered the house and when?

My guess is that senior Garda entered the house instructing junior gardai to mind the path/body. Then found something they didn’t like and went about cleaning up...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Did Sophie have a house phone?? if so were her phone call records ever looked at?

more than likely she got a phone call late that night from her killer to meet her at the gate, may explain why she left the house impromptu in night clothes...seems like she was hurried

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Yes there was a landline phone. She rang her husband c 10 30 and he rang back 11 pm. She was listed in phone directory under her maiden name.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Cona44 wrote: »
    I used to firmly be in the same boat that IB was guilty as it was too obvious. When I looked though, there just is zero evidence and the story the guards tried to sell is completely implausible.

It’s actually highly unlikely that he could of done it and not leave some form of evidence behind.

Tend to agree, established no known link between victim and Bailey, no motive and zero evidence. Could he of done it, absolutely yes but evidence is non existent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

discostu1 wrote: »
    You forgot the best part, Marie said the Barca tried it on and later appeared in a bedroom she was cleaning ,he was naked.When challenged as this sounded so unbelievable,Marie described a mark/growth on the Gardas nether regions.The Barca admitted yes he had such a mark/growth but he had confided this information to Marie's husband who "must have told her" ��

Why would he tell the husband that :confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

That was just one of the many questions only Me and Mrs Farrell could answer ,I cannot imagine anyone you didn't extremely dwell as in best friends saying "Did I ever tell ! You I have a growth on my groin" but that was the story the Barca put forwards the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

The growth was apparently on his abdomen, never heard it was nether regions. He said that Mr Farrell noticed spots of blood on his shirt and he explained that he had a lesion, and Mr Farrell told his wife.

Hard to know what's true because Marie Farrell is so bat****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭gussieg

It seems odd that the son would want to be where his beloved mother was so brutally murdered, and to come back every year. Unless he is still looking for evidence and the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Larsso30

gussieg wrote: »
    It seems odd that the son would want to be where his beloved mother was so brutally murdered, and to come back every year. Unless he is still looking for evidence and the truth.

May be odd to your or me but may be comforting for him. Not really one for us to judge really, maybe it makes him feel closer to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭gussieg

Larsso30 wrote: »
    May be odd to your or me but may be comforting for him. Not really one for us to judge really, maybe it makes him feel closer to her.

Not a judgement. And so little about her husband.

fryup wrote: »
    Did Sophie have a house phone?? if so were her phone call records ever looked at?

more than likely she got a phone call late that night from her killer to meet her at the gate, may explain why she left the house impromptu in night clothes...seems like she was hurried
    Garlinge wrote: »
    Yes there was a landline phone. She rang her husband c 10 30 and he rang back 11 pm. She was listed in phone directory under her maiden name.

Well if there's no record of a late night phone call, i'm thinking that maybe her killer was with her in the cottage that night...they had there night of romance chatting & drinking wine - which would explain the close proximity of the chairs and the two wine glasses in the sink, later in the wee hours she accompanies him to the gate and as they get there she tells him its over she doesn't want to see him again, which results in murder. He then in panic returns to the cottage to make sure there's no incriminating evidence against him which would explain the bloodstain on the door as his hands were covered in her blood. He has a quick look around and legs it....but does he run? or did he have a car parked at the gate? and if he did run..where did he run to without being seen?? through the fields?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

vladmydad wrote: »
    My prime suspect would have been the man living next door. The fact that she probably knew her killer, put on her boots to go outside etc. Did he come over late at night for something then made a pass and she rejected him. The murder appears like overkill. Was their house searched, his DNA, hair etc taken , clothes taken ? They heard nothing saw nothing apparently and it was his wife who discovered the body. Conveniently He’s also the only person that linked Bailey to Sophie, said he’s 90% sure he introduced them, as Bailey done gardening once for him. Bailey denied being introduced.

bit harsh slandering some auld lad really with zero to back it up

sure it was marie farrell anyway, she did it was lurking out n about at all hours on the night in question

solved, now that would make a good bit of TV

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

bit harsh slandering some auld lad really with zero to back it up

sure it was marie farrell anyway, she did it was lurking out n about at all hours on the night in question

solved, now that would make a good bit of TV

Could be on to something wasn't she having an affair and with the unnamed man in the night of question , So both out on that night

What if the same man was also doing a line with Sophie & aul Mire went to confront them & things turned pair shaped ,Hence the 2 murder weapons one for Maire one for the unnamed man ,

I'm convinced if there was really a man with Marie he was a Garda , If he was real and he was a Garda it would explain the crap investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Could be on to something wasn't she having an affair and with the unnamed man in the night of question , So both out on that night

What if the same man was also doing a line with Sophie & aul Mire went to confront them & things turned pair shaped ,Hence the 2 murder weapons one for Maire one for the unnamed man ,

I'm convinced if there was really a man with Marie he was a Garda , If he was real and he was a Garda it would explain the crap investigation

Maybe she wasn't having an affair with a man?

mind blown

phone rings... hello, yes his is netflix, we would like to make another shiiiite docu with ya, really? yeah worse than da tiger king? yuppp

the thing about maire farrell is ..she was oh so careful giving a fake name > Fiona and phoning from phonebooths and then out of the blue she phones from her home ..why the sudden change in tack??????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered. But has a link between IB and Sophie ever been firmly establised? Like were they ever seen together or at least suspected of knowing each other?
    The killing was overkill so it makes no sense for IB to rock up to her house out of the blue and kill her.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

wawaman wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been asked and answered. But has a link between IB and Sophie ever been firmly establised? Like were they ever seen together or at least suspected of knowing each other?
    The killing was overkill so it makes no sense for IB to rock up to her house out of the blue and kill her.

If there was some sort of flirtation between them, is it surprising that it was completely secret?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

If there was some sort of flirtation between them, is it surprising that it was completely secret?

In rural Ireland, nothing like that nothing is ever really a secret. Somebody would have known or at least suspected something

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Maybe,marie farrell didn't phone from home because her husband might overhear but she phoned from home the last time because her husband was not home and felt safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In rural Ireland, nothing like that nothing is ever really a secret. Somebody would have known or at least suspected something

West Cork isn't typical 'rural Ireland' though. Lots of 'outsiders' who keep themselves to themselves down that way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Was Alfie Lyons ever considered as a suspect? Had a very bad relationship with her by all accounts. Suspiciously never heard anything that night. Seemed happy to participate in the stitch up of Bailey.

Bailey is definitely guilty of being a pompous arrogant git but don't think there's much evidence pointing to him for this.

To accuse Alfie Lyons is also to accuse Shirley of being involved - unless you think he could have slipped out of a small cottage in the middle of the night unnoticed, managed to clean himself off in the dark, and slip back in to get into bed knowing he had left a body for his partner to find the next day. Either that or Shirley knew and was a superb actress. She never recovered from finding Sophie's body.

Alfie at the time was a man getting on in years and physically incapable of beating his way out of a paper bag. His body was paying big time for a life as a dope smoking hippy.
    He also was a victim. The home he had lovingly created for himself and Shirley to spend the rest of their lives in was forever tainted.
    Shirley had been a teacher in a very rough End End of London school and it was the thought of retiring to their lovely cottage that kept her going.

Their dream literally died that night.

SoulWriter wrote: »
    I don't recall hearing that. What was the problem, wasn't Alfie's wife her housekeeper?

No.

Alfie's partner was a teacher in London. She retired that Summer.

She most certainly was not anyone's housekeeper.

^^^^^^^^^^

do you still live there? west cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

none whatsoever. Not even a passing flirt.

And whilst Bailey would be the first to admit he has a bit of a temper, it was almost always when he was drunk, and if someone was drunk, they would have left a lot of evidence.

And in rural Ireland, you will have gossip based on someone even looking in someone else's direction. And Sophie was someone that the locals liked to gossip about as she was different and she liked to flirt.

It is extremely rare for a murder to be totally random without some form of connection / perturbed reasoning. Even simple rejection of advances would not elicit a murder unless it got to a stage of stalking.

The gardai have never come up with a motive for Bailey, but he was an easy target. A bit eccentric, known to be belligerent and to fling out a bit, but never known to do anything on a totally random basis.

Gardai made an irrational assumption of his guilt and steered all their enquires to meet that assumption ignoring facts and basic investigation - and its not the first time such style of investigation was used

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    No.

Alfie's partner was a teacher in London. She retired that Summer.

She most certainly was not anyone's housekeeper.
    who was the woman who used to look after the place for sophie?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

To accuse Alfie Lyons is also to accuse Shirley of being involved - unless you think he could have slipped out of a small cottage in the middle of the night unnoticed, managed to clean himself off in the dark, and slip back in to get into bed knowing he had left a body for his partner to find the next day. Either that or Shirley knew and was a superb actress. She never recovered from finding Sophie's body.

Alfie at the time was a man getting on in years and physically incapable of beating his way out of a paper bag. His body was paying big time for a life as a dope smoking hippy.
    He also was a victim. The home he had lovingly created for himself and Shirley to spend the rest of their lives in was forever tainted.
    Shirley had been a teacher in a very rough End End of London school and it was the thought of retiring to their lovely cottage that kept her going.

Their dream literally died that night.

Alfie was a quite stocky bloke he wasn't a frail man,

How old was Alfie in 1996

• Registered Users Posts: 27,788 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

To accuse Alfie Lyons is also to accuse Shirley of being involved - unless you think he could have slipped out of a small cottage in the middle of the night unnoticed, managed to clean himself off in the dark, and slip back in to get into bed knowing he had left a body for his partner to find the next day. Either that or Shirley knew and was a superb actress. She never recovered from finding Sophie's body... Alfie at the time was a man getting on in years and physically incapable of beating his way out of a paper bag.

Well not necessarily, if someone is a particularly sound sleeper \ uses earplugs \ sleeping meds.

But obviously it's unlikely scenario because of your other points.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^

do you still live there? west cork

My then in-laws have a house in W Cork and knew both Alfie and Shirley very well. I haven't been there in 20 years.

I, on a good few occasions, worked with Alfie when he would do some chef shifts as a favour.

• Advertisement

SoulWriter wrote: »
    who was the woman who used to look after the place for sophie?

I have no idea. Never met Sophie. All I knew about her was she was a French film producer who would turn up unexpectedly, complain about everything, and leave just as unexpectedly.

I can categorically say who ever her housekeeper was they had nothing to do with Alfie Lyons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement