Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,456 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

We know they DPP thought the Garda in Cork made an absolute pigs ear of it , On purpose or not is the question

The Cork Garda knew the DPP won't go into detail on a case they are not pursuing so the local Garda in Cork just blame the DPP while hiding whatever it is they are hiding ,

If the Jim Fitzgerald was willing to get naked in Maire Farrell sitting room without consent what else was he up on the sly,

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Definitely think there will be a renewed pressure to reopen/reexamine this case when the Netflix documentary comes out later this month. This documentary definitely won't have as many eyeballs on it that the Netflix one will have.
    Bailey spoke to matt cooper about the netflix doc.he said it will probably be against him.he said he was aware of some stuff that will be in it and its partially funded by sofies family.
    A piece of demonising propaganda is what he called it

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was she seeing someone back here, maybe a Garda? How did the gate go missing from evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Why would the gate even matter at this stage anyway, or even 5 years after? I presume blood samples were taken from it? If not, why not? Was it checked for fingerprints?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 LMC7

What is the feeling locally in Schull?

Is it 50/50 on whether Bailey did it or is there more hatred for him?

The residents of Schull would have a bit more intuition on the case..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

the marie farrell story of seeing a guy on the bridge is absolute horses**t

this is the direct walk from jule's cottage to sophie's house: https://goo.gl/maps/6ADkUj26kPy5eALu9
    it's a long walk, 50 minute and up a hill at the end, I drove it a few weeks ago (but didn't make the final turn off to sophie's house, even the road before that you feel like you're on a private boreen going into a farm)

now look at the walk if you had to pass kealfadda bridge: https://goo.gl/maps/VekixnwS615jCWct7
    it's completely out of the way and turns it into a 90 minute walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

this is the direct walk from jule's cottage to sophie's house: https://goo.gl/maps/6ADkUj26kPy5eALu9
    it's a long walk, 50 minute and up a hill at the end, I drove it a few weeks ago (but didn't make the final turn off to sophie's house, even the road before that you feel like you're on a private boreen going into a farm)

now look at the walk if you had to pass kealfadda bridge: https://goo.gl/maps/VekixnwS615jCWct7

Thanks, that's great for context. Looking even at maps that didn't feel right. She'd a strange witness, I'd take none of what she said seriously really.

Did Bailey admit going for a walk? i know he admitted going to the studio to write, how far is that from Jules house?

Probably stored in the yard at the back of Schull Garda Station, which is down a lane shared with the Irish Coast Guard Service and is often left open and unsupervised.
    But then it is accessibe to the garda. are you saying the delberately hid it?Would theyhave taken the samples from the gate before moving it ot move it and then examine for forensic?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

LMC7 wrote: »
    What is the feeling locally in Schull?

Is it 50/50 on whether Bailey did it or is there more hatred for him?

The residents of Schull would have a bit more intuition on the case..

I come from a pretty rural community. Wouldn't want to have anyone have their innocence or guilt meditated on by some of the net curtain twitchers where I'm from. Double that impulse if it's 'an outsider'. Treble it if it's a foreigner.

I'm sure the people of Schull are lovely people, but like any rural community, it's bound to have its fair share of gossips with too much time on their hands, self-appointed pillars of the community and general eccentrics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Deeec

Thanks, that's great for context. Looking even at maps that didn't feel right. She'd a strange witness, I'd take none of what she said seriously really.

Marie Farrell is as big an attention seeker as Ian Bailey. She has proven herself to be a liar. Nothing she says can be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Was Alfie Lyons ever considered as a suspect? Had a very bad relationship with her by all accounts. Suspiciously never heard anything that night. Seemed happy to participate in the stitch up of Bailey.

Bailey is definitely guilty of being a pompous arrogant git but don't think there's much evidence pointing to him for this.

Was Alfie Lyons ever considered as a suspect? Had a very bad relationship with her by all accounts. Suspiciously never heard anything that night. Seemed happy to participate in the stitch up of Bailey.

Bailey is definitely guilty of being a pompous arrogant git but don't think there's much evidence pointing to him for this.

There has never been much said about Alfie Lyons. I would assume he was a suspect at the start ( but then again the gardai investigation into the murder was pathetic ). Why did Alfie and Sophie not get on - I havent seen any reference to this in what I have read and listened to.

I don't recall hearing that. What was the problem, wasn't Alfie's wife her housekeeper?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cona44

Deeec wrote: »
    There has never been much said about Alfie Lyons. I would assume he was a suspect at the start ( but then again the gardai investigation into the murder was pathetic ). Why did Alfie and Sophie not get on - I havent seen any reference to this in what I have read and listened to.

Something about their cat getting into Sophie’s house and destroying the place in soot from chimney.

Also it’s interesting that Sophie ran away from the houses instead of towards Alfie’s. Was there a car inside the gate based on tire marks?
    Why not run up to your neighbours?

Also, there was no lights on in the house. You would imaging if she got up during the night she would have left a light on. Could easily have been the morning time when this happened.

Was there two people involved in the murder? One got the slate whilst the other got the block?

Cona44 wrote: »
    Something about their cat getting into Sophie’s house and destroying the place in soot from chimney.

Also it’s interesting that Sophie ran away from the houses instead of towards Alfie’s. Was there a car inside the gate based on tire marks?

Also, there was no lights on in the house. You would imaging if she got up during the night she would have left a light on. Could easily have been the morning time when this happened.

Was there two people involved in the murder? One got the slate whilst the other got the block?

It is possible there were more than 1 person involved. If trying to run from an attacker it doesnt make sense that she would run to the road where there are no houses and not much of a chance of a car driving by. If in danger the most logical thing to do would be to run to your neighbours. I know its easy to say that when your not in that situation though - I can only imagine it is hard to think rationally ( but she did have time to put boots on). It is possible of course she was at the gate to let someone in.

There seems to be another house also close by - Does anyone know if that house was occupied at the time of the murder?

she did have breakfast in stomach. Maybe someone was there all night? She wasn't found until around 10.am

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Really enjoying Sky’s series. I also intend to watch the upcoming series on Netflix. I don’t know why but the case is one of those that stuck with me.

While I don’t deny that the Gardai made a complete mess of the investment I am firmly convinced that Ian Bailey is guilty as sin.

And I don’t think Marie Farrell can be trusted as far you could throw her.

If the Jim Fitzgerald was willing to get naked in Maire Farrell sitting room without consent what else was he up on the sly,

Could you believe a word of that though?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Ye very possible could be why the man in the car with her was never named
    Although i always thoughtful maybe it was a Guard in her car ,

You forgot the best part, Marie said the Barca tried it on and later appeared in a bedroom she was cleaning ,he was naked.When challenged as this sounded so unbelievable,Marie described a mark/growth on the Gardas nether regions.The Barca admitted yes he had such a mark/growth but he had confided this information to Marie's husband who "must have told her" 🙄

• Advertisement

discostu1 wrote: »
    You forgot the best part, Marie said the Barca tried it on and later appeared in a bedroom she was cleaning ,he was naked.When challenged as this sounded so unbelievable,Marie described a mark/growth on the Gardas nether regions.The Barca admitted yes he had such a mark/growth but he had confided this information to Marie's husband who "must have told her" ��

Unfortunately Marie has shown she is very loose with the truth. I think the story of the Garda stripping for Marie is very unlikely!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I knew the occupants of that other house - it was one of them found the body.
    He was a retired chef and his partner - who never recovered from finding Sophie - was a just retired teacher. She had literally just moved there from London that Summer.
    This was their dream retirement home and they intended to live there permanently.

To get to their house you had to pass by Sophie's. It was up the side of a mountain in West Cork and I can confirm there was zero mobile phone signal in the area. I know as we got lost looking for the house in the summer of 1996 and were trying to phone them on the one mobile available between 5 people.

In the dead of Winter unless there were lights on in the house it would not be seen by the neighbours. There was also a lot of foliage between the two houses. However, Sophie's house could be seen from the road. Neighbour's house couldn't be seen as it was painted sky blue and very well camouflaged - which is why we couldn't find the blasted place even though our driver had been there many times.

We were going to a retirement party (a BBQ) attended mostly by people involved in the hospitality industry and one of the guests was Ian Bailey. I got the feeling he had invited himself and was infamous for gate-crashing.
    I spent most of the evening talking to him and found him a boor, tbh - no-one else wanted anything to do with him.

Much was made of Bailey's attendance at this party - yet, the Gardaí seemed confused about who was in attendance. To give an example - of a well known Cork family one brother was there - Gardaí requested an interview with another brother who had never set foot in the place.

The brother who had been there contacted Gardaí himself and insisted on being interviewed. The thrust of the questions was if Bailey had made any comments about Sophie. Gardaí were told as he spent most of the time talking to me they should ask me that.

Did Bailey comment on Sophie?
    Yes, in a roundabout way.

Another guest (not a local) asked who lived in the house we passed. Our host said it was a French film producer who comes and goes and they never know when she's there. Bailey asked if it was "that blonde woman, Sophie something". He was asked if he knew her and replied "just to see around" - there then followed a discussion on French cinema in which Bailey tried to demonstrate his knowledge. He was a know it all and a boor, and that guest that everyone who was there considered the why did you invite him person.

I have never been interviewed by the Gardaí. Or anyone else.

Gardaí were given all my contact details several times.

When I was leaving the country in 1999 I again contacted them to ask if they wanted a statement.

No one got back to me.

From day one the investigation was a cock-up.

Alfie is dead and the house is for sale I think

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Thanks for the maps.

Only when looking at these do you realise that the house is literally in the middle of nowhere. And it's miles from Schull. Is that really considered Schull?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭oceanman

Really enjoying Sky’s series. I also intend to watch the upcoming series on Netflix. I don’t know why but the case is one of those that stuck with me.

While I don’t deny that the Gardai made a complete mess of the investment I am firmly convinced that Ian Bailey is guilty as sin.

And I don’t think Marie Farrell can be trusted as far you could throw her.
    but the gardai were more than happy to believe marie farrell.....that was of course when she was telling them what they wanted to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cona44

I used to firmly be in the same boat that IB was guilty as it was too obvious. When I looked though, there just is zero evidence and the story the guards tried to sell is completely implausible.

It’s actually highly unlikely that he could of done it and not leave some form of evidence behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I am firmly convinced that Ian Bailey is guilty as sin.

Why are you firmly convinced?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

I used to firmly be in the same boat that IB was guilty as it was too obvious. When I looked though, there just is zero evidence and the story the guards tried to sell is completely implausible.

It’s actually highly unlikely that he could of done it and not leave some form of evidence behind.

Same here, I was convinced of his guilt. After listening to the West Cork podcast, I don't think he did it, guards seemed way too keen to pin it on him to cover up for someone else.

If he was guilty & DPP decided there wasn't enough evidence to pursue him, why didn't he just fade into oblivion but i think he loves the limelight hence all his antics....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I see Bailey is on Twitter now: https://twitter.com/IanKennethBail1/with_replies

no blue checkmark but it reads like the sh*te he'd be coming out with

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

upupup wrote: »
    Jilted lover tries to meet her and was seen in town by marie farrell.she tells him its over.
    He calls to the house in his blue vauxhall but shes says its over,she walks him to the gate for the last chat and he gets upset and kills her in a rage.he goes back to the house to collect the flowers/gift he brought her and leaves the blood on the door.he is seen speeding away from the scene and disappears forever.
    marie farrell is upset because the gaurds didnt believe her true statement so makes up another one about the man on the bridge

This is roughly my take on it too. I thought it was a blue Ford. Either way was this car followed up on, a list of owners etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

My prime suspect would have been the man living next door. The fact that she probably knew her killer, put on her boots to go outside etc. Did he come over late at night for something then made a pass and she rejected him. The murder appears like overkill. Was their house searched, his DNA, hair etc taken , clothes taken ? They heard nothing saw nothing apparently and it was his wife who discovered the body. Conveniently He’s also the only person that linked Bailey to Sophie, said he’s 90% sure he introduced them, as Bailey done gardening once for him. Bailey denied being introduced.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement