Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I called to a local place who said they could do it if the had the car and caliper for a day. That was in letterkenny though so may be no use. That was before I found this fella who does them. What are you looking to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I called to a local place who said they could do it if the had the car and caliper for a day. That was in letterkenny though so may be no use. That was before I found this fella who does them. What are you looking to do?

I have brackets that I bought from russia to fit bigger calipers on my caldina, I was hoping to get them replicated but noone has been willing to take it on - a friend got some made but the crowd who made them fabricated them from some form of cheese instead of steel and ignored the given dimensions.

Problem is to make it worth while they need to be selling a load of them, as all the work is in the design I expect.

Problem is to make it worth while they need to be selling a load of them, as all the work is in the design I expect.

I have a 3d drawing of it so could probably have an NC file or similar created for it, I need to do more on it but gone lazy because I have my own sorted already :pac:

Ah only reading your post right now, sure you're sorted so happy days. Thought you got calipers from Russia but needed the brackets made...

• Advertisement

Ah only reading your post right now, sure you're sorted so happy days. Thought you got calipers from Russia but needed the brackets made...

Ah no bother, mine are done alright but I was hoping to be able to return a few favours that I owe by helping them get reasonably cheap brake upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Thedarkb

Accidentally overtightened a flare nut and pulled the flare off the end of my brake pipe. Time to go begging at the local garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Thedarkb wrote: »
    Accidentally overtightened a flare nut and pulled the flare off the end of my brake pipe. Time to go begging at the local garage.

I suppose you took the title "today I did something to my car" literally. Ears down and tail between the legs

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Thedarkb

BlakeS94 wrote: »
    I suppose you took the title "today I did something to my car" literally. Ears down and tail between the legs

The local garage loaned me a flare tool and it's sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

555582.jpg

555581.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Brake pad wear warning light came on yesterday, out of the blue. Checked fluid level and it was good, then checked the pads and still brand new (having changed all four calipers, brake fluid, pads and handbrake cable in the last 2 months I assumed as much but just wanted to be sure). So assumed it was the sensor itself. Realised I haven't changed it, ever. New one got and replaced. So hopefully will sort it out.

Took the opportunity to drop the bumper and remove the headlights to replace some of the angel eye bulbs that have been gone for a couple of weeks. Got that done and all good. Then, with the bumper off I decided the time had come to tackle a job I've been putting off for some time. Bumper respray.

Not done, but started.

Lately the bumper has been looking very poorly and it seems to "foul" easier than other cars I've owned. Today I found out why. At some point someone must have decided to spray the bumper to cover up stone chips, but whomever done the "respray" needs a kick to the trixie trollox. The lazy so and so seems to have just scuffed the original paint and then primed, painted and lacquered over it, and not sanded back.

Layers upon layers of primer, lacquer, paint. Got so bad that after 2 hours of sanding I was not even down through the "new" stuff. So time for drastic action. Nitromors.

Slathered the bumper in it, waited 10 minutes, it was working so gave it another coating. Waited another 45 minutes and got to scrapping (plastic scrapper so as not to damage bumper, but needed metal ones for some parts). Took about 2 - 2.5 hours but got all the heavy stuff off. Then sanded some areas and the remaining pieces of paint came off easily. Got tired, and dark, so after about 5 hours I called it a day. Will finish sanding tomorrow check for any defects, then lay down the primer coats. Will leave the painting for the weekend, with top coat layers Monday through Wednesday. So will update as I get a little further on.

556091.jpg

556092.jpg

556093.jpg
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

zg3409 wrote: »
    555582.jpg

555581.jpg

What in the world?

Weird oil drain valve?

All sanded down (have one or two fiddly spots I need to address with a dremel and sanding head), washed, dried, ready for tack wipe then primer, tomorrow.

Was slogging away then realised I bought an orbital sander last year for this very purpose. Found it, and hello easy street. Cut the sanding process down by at least 60%.

Once that was done then it was onto hand sanding with 400 grit, 800 grit, 1200 grit, 1500 grit and finally 2000. Alternating directions to eliminate any scratches left by the initial sanding.

My first time doing something this large so its trial and error, but going well enough. The painting will be the real test.

556210.jpg
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Nice little shed you have there. Full of hand tools.

Thanks. Over 50 years of stuff covering every square inch of all three walls. Each time I move house I got a bigger garage yet I still manage to fill them, given time. Make me wonder how I managed with the 8x4 shed I started off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk7r

Cass wrote: »
    All sanded down (have one or two fiddly spots I need to address with a dremel and sanding head), washed, dried, ready for tack wipe then primer, tomorrow.

Was slogging away then realised I bought an orbital sander last year for this very purpose. Found it, and hello easy street. Cut the sanding process down by at least 60%.

Once that was done then it was onto hand sanding with 400 grit, 800 grit, 1200 grit, 1500 grit and finally 2000. Alternating directions to eliminate any scratches left by the initial sanding.

My first time doing something this large so its trial and error, but going well enough. The painting will be the real test.

556210.jpg

You don't want to be sanding any more than 400 grit before you prime, the primer needs a key to stick to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

mk7r wrote: »
    You don't want to be sanding any more than 400 grit before you prime, the primer needs a key to stick to.
    Top of my head from doing my own little bit of painting some time back I was thinking going as high as 2,000 grit was not the way to go. Was thinking 400 was too low but after a quick Google your fairly on the money!... 320 to 360 grit is whats recommended.

mk7r wrote: »

You're spot on.

At the stage the bumper was in, pictured above, I was repairing defects. That continued on for a day or two until I had any defects filled, sanded and repaired (not pictured).

I was worried I had made the bumper "too smooth" so done a check online and got the same information you're giving. So I spent some of yesterday keying the entire bumper with 320 grit sandpaper to "roughen" the finish as it was "too smooth", then washed it, dried it, quick tack cloth wipe (will repeat before priming) and left it ready for priming.

Only problem I have now is my face mask is out of filters so have to wait till Monday to get replacements before I start laying down primer, paint and top coat.

As said above its a learning experience (my only experience to date was touch ups or small areas like wing mirror backs) so any other advice is greatly welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Spent a good while coming up with this design, still not perfect but should hopefully be better than the two I made sh1t of

556464.png

This is the part in case anyone is wondering https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=PZQ84AP545&iax=images&ia=images

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What is it?

• Advertisement

What is it?

Top part of the hinge for one of these

2016-Toyota-HiLux-SR-genuine-tray.jpg

Not a complete success, bolt holes bit too small but still usable I think

556469.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Got hit last week at the recycling center. All very calm, exchanged details and got the car repaired today. Delighted with the result. Carcraft also touched up a few stonechips around the bonnet and front bumper, will probably need more attention at some stage. :)

IMG-20210604-101842.jpg

after.jpg

Last weekend she also got:
    • 2 new front tyres
    • Service
    • New brake juice
    • Sump gasket replacement
    • A fix for an annoying issue where DS mode or flappy paddles didn't work due to a broken wire
    • Tax :rolleyes:

Car is at about 151,000 km and driving brilliantly. I keep looking at newer cars but can't bring myself to spend the money when this is going well. Alloys need a refurb but that's on the longer finger. It'll end up living in a shed eventually.

Forgot to take photos, but I recently purchased a mk4 mondeo, few new bits for it. Replaced wipers front and back, and put on wind deflectors all around, also changed power steering fluid and changed interior halogens and license plate bulbs to LEDs

Will be giving it a machine polish I'll update with before and after

I'll be doing a couple more things and I'll add some photos then. Boot struts and front strut conversion kit from that manky rod should be next, then after that is a short throw quick shifter (the type you put onto the steering linkage pivots ball socket) will be getting rear windows 20% tinted I'll add a before and after. Then Address an issue with a vacuum control valve and finally to top it off, new centre wheel caps!

BlakeS94 wrote: »
    Forgot to take photos, but I recently purchased a mk4 mondeo, !
    Welcome to the club, from one newbie to another. :D

556783.jpg
    new centre wheel caps
    Need them myself.

Cass wrote:
    Sanded
    556210.jpg

Got the final coat of clear on her today. Just have to wait for it all to "settle".

Overall I'm happy enough with the outcome. It could have been better, but I learned a few things and the end result is 100 times better than the poo show i had before.

I made some rookie mistake, because I'm a rookie, but I also had to fight a loosing battle given my location. I blocked off the garage, and while I done my best, dust and other particulates were always going to be a problem and perhaps some still got in. Luckily it was minimal and while I've yet to take it into daylight it seems it landed when primer, paint, and clearcoat was dry (to the touch) so 99% seemed to wipe off without any issues.

Mistakes I made:
    • Could have better prepared the area I blocked off to make it more "air secure/tight".
    • Not checking the weather in advance (the last two clear coats were tacky after 30 minutes due to drop in temp, rise in humidity, but easily solved with garage heater being left on)
    • Missed one or two spots (almost unnoticeable) when sanding the primer. Luckily the clear plastic primer was fairly smooth, but it doesn't half show up through the black paint when you know where to look. Others that checked couldn't see them.
    • Should have given more care to the number plate area. It's going to be covered but given how well the rest came out I realise I rubbed my backside against that particular area.

Still the whole job has taken 7 days (9 if you allow for me leaving the bumper to fully cure over the weekend). Mostly a few hours each evening. If I were to do it again I'd dedicate a (long) weekend to it (allowing for drying overnight) and try cut that to 4 days.

Total cost was €128.
    Primer - €28 (1ltr tin and have 500ml left)
    Paint - €48 (500ml colour code matched)
    Clearcoat & hardener - €42 (1ltr & 500ml tins of which 700ml & 350ml remain)

All other items I already had so not bad considering local quotes started at €320 and went Northwards from there.

Didn't get a picture of it primed.

Paint only:

556784.jpg

556785.jpg

Clearcoated/Finished:

556786.jpg

556787.jpg

556788.jpg

Cass wrote: »
    Welcome to the club, from one newbie to another. :D

556783.jpg

Need them myself.

Mines the same colour so I got black ford centre caps. Also that bonnet strut conversion kit makes such a difference. I think all mondeos have the rod to hold up up hood. Quite like the car it drives very well for an 11 year old car, much better than my 13 i40 I had previously, feels better built and no rattles or anything. I forgot to add to my list I must bleed the clutch slave cylinder because I've got a soft pedal with slow return

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and pollen filter on my 2013 Discovery. 20 minute job thanks to a Sealey vacuum pump. Main dealer wanted €600+. Indy would be close to €450. Best consumables (Man and Bosch filters, Castrol Oil) circa €100 from micksgarage.ie

Put a short quick shifter on my mondeo 2010, noticeable difference in length of stroke when changing gears, small simple design took 10 minutes to install, very happy with it, DarkIceDesigns on Ebay if anyone wants to try them out

• Advertisement

Before and after

Advertisement