Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Kona

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

15,000 Km service intervals are really bad in this day and age especially for an EV

Yep, it's just a way to generate income.
    KildareMan wrote: »
    Brakes are the one thing you want to work when you press the pedal. That most are minimising their brake usage with single pedal driving it makes sense to check them on a regular basis. 15K km is more than some drive in a year so really surprised it's not 15k km or annually - whichever comes first.

My 250hp+ BMW needs a service every 2 years or 33k km, whichever comes first. It's a PHEV so has regenerative braking & actually covers quite a few kilometres on battery alone.

Are BMW wrong then?
    Are my brakes likely to fail, catastrophically, if I don't insist they check them every six months?

15k service intervals on an EV is a pure money grab.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

Kramer wrote: »
    Yep, it's just a way to generate income.

My 250hp+ BMW needs a service every 2 years or 33k km, whichever comes first. It's a PHEV so has regenerative braking & actually covers quite a few kilometres on battery alone.

Are BMW wrong then?
    Are my brakes likely to fail, catastrophically, if I don't insist they check them every six months?

Not likely to fail catastrophically no. Never said they would. but they can start sticking/binding and generally lose power.

People seem to think that an EV will be service cost free because the "engine" is gone. Well you still have steering, suspension, brakes, tyres and so on.

Will be interesting to see NCT figures for EV's. I bet there could be a higher than expected failure rate just because people think they are maintenance free.

Not likely to fail catastrophically no. Never said they would. but they can start sticking/binding and generally lose power.

People seem to think that an EV will be service cost free because the "engine" is gone. Well you still have steering, suspension, brakes, tyres and so on.

Will be interesting to see NCT figures for EV's. I bet there could be a higher than expected failure rate just because people think they are maintenance free.

Service every 15,000 Kms on an ev is taking the p1ss and it's just another way to make more money. That would be twice a year for me that's just not acceptable and a major turn off due to the hassle of having to leave the car in and pick it up and listen to waffle and it's costing me more than it should.

Not likely to fail catastrophically no. Never said they would.

Well you said:
    Brakes are the one thing you want to work when you press the pedal.

I'd take brakes not working when you press the pedal, a pretty catastrophic failure :pac:.

All cars have steering, suspension, tyres etc., yet the government don't deem it necessary to inspect any new car for a period of 4 years. 2 years thereafter, until 10, then anually. BMW reckon 33k km is plenty for their performance oriented cars.

But a brand new Kia/Hyundai EV needs to have the brakes checked every 15k km?
    P1ss taking money grab for the manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Mine is in for a service now. 50k on the clock for a Aug 2019 reg.
    During the first service at 6 months/15k, they replaced the wipers. I wasn't at all happy with that as they had very little use. Also the tyres were slightly pressure-imbalanced on return, not by much, but instead of all being 36 kPa even, they were 36/35/37 kPa.
    On the last service it was the same crack with the tyres again - I dropped them in with 36-even on all 4, got it back with one being 34 and the rest at 35 and missing two valve covers (only noticed the day after).
    Today it has gone in with all 4 tyres on 38 kPa. I'll see what I get back. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

For the record:
    40kPa on the fronts and 41kPa on the rears. But all of the stem-caps were in place for a change. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So picked up one of these guys recently, appalled at the space under the hood was not used so jimmied up a makeshift frunk.
    Few hours, removed large motor cap, bought as big a container to max space (actually had to cut a bit off it), cut two small lengths of 2x1 to fit onto the motor cap supports and then screwed the container onto the wood.
    Boom, takes all cables and paperwork etc with room to spare.
    Checked a few times and zero issue with heat, the thingy it sits on actually contains the BMS units so does not generate heat work talking about

IMG-20210513-182456.jpg

IMG-20210515-141055.jpg

IMG-20210516-173952.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,745 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why not plan out a 3d print box to clip into the existing holders for the plastic cover. Then sell the 3d print plans to other owners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I'll be your first customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭innrain

Did you lower the floor in the boot? You gain some space by doing so.

• Advertisement

innrain wrote: »
    Did you lower the floor in the boot? You gain some space by doing so.

Yeah, I do, apart from gaining some more space the "lip" gained helps stopping stuff from sliding around too

listermint wrote: »
    Why not plan out a 3d print box to clip into the existing holders for the plastic cover. Then sell the 3d print plans to other owners :)

Whilst looking up online before doing my own, there's a guy that open sourced the 3d print plans for clips to sit into the existing holders.
    I've not gone into 3d printing so easier for me to furnish a small hole in wood and make it incrementally larger until it was a perfect secure fit.
    Also means I can take out and put back as was prior to service etc.

slave1 wrote: »
    cut two small lengths of 2x1 to fit onto the motor cap supports and then screwed the container onto the wood.

2 years from now......
    "Hyundai's EV problems continue as they continue to replace dodgy batteries........
    CONFIRMED - woodworm now discovered in a European customer's Kona"

:D.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

EDIT - sorry, I thought this was a recent story but it's from October so not the reason for the upcoming recall :o

Hyundai recalls thousands of Kona electric SUV's after fire risk

Sad to say our new (to us) 191 Kona is one of these on the recall list and already back in the Hyundai garage we bought it from. We're unlucky that the fault appeared before the recall letter did!

miamee wrote: »
    EDIT - sorry, I thought this was a recent story but it's from October so not the reason for the upcoming recall :o

Hyundai recalls thousands of Kona electric SUV's after fire risk

Sad to say our new (to us) 191 Kona is one of these on the recall list and already back in the Hyundai garage we bought it from. We're unlucky that the fault appeared before the recall letter did!

Same situation here. Hyundai Ireland still have my Dad's Kona
    - recall thread @ https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058163405

The recall is known for about 6 months now or more. I got the letter to reduce the charging to 90% SoC second week of June even though we found out about it from the recall documents in the US earlier in the year. See the thread posted above. Some owners asked about this in the garage and been told it is a non-sense. So yeah it took 6 months for Hyundai Ireland to post us a letter. Mind you the recall is not published on CPCC (probably due to C...-19). Who know how long it will take to get it fix if doesn't get the error.
    While it is a inconvenient that the error appeared on yours I would not see only the bad part. You probably have a replacement car and at the end you'll have a new battery. Well wear and let us know when you get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Kramer wrote: »

Does anyone know how much a service is likely to be and also what the downside of getting it serviced every c. 30k km would be (rather than 15k km)?

Do you lose warranty or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Does anyone know how much a service is likely to be and also what the downside of getting it serviced every c. 30k km would be (rather than 15k km)?

Do you lose warranty or anything like that?

Ive been charged €90 for my 2nd, 3rd and 4th service and they did the first one for free.

Warranty is void if you don’t follow the correct intervals but it is an annoyingly short service interval and I get the impression that the garage think so too.

Anytime when we were unable to schedule a warranty service within about 1500km of the recommended intervals, the service department had to check with management to see if it was ok. So it does appear to be something that they are watching carefully.
    Frankly, I'd be sticking to it, especially seeing as to how there are already battery concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bshaftoe

How is the Kona electric in terms of driving aids and safety?

I cannot find much information on the driving aids for the Irish version.

• Advertisement

There are 2 if not 3 generations already. The first one sold in 2019, which I have. It is quite a strip down from what they've sold in UK. However, it has reverse camera which is quite good. There is a lane assist which tries to keep you in the lane, which could be useful on the motorway but a bit scary on narrow/unmarked roads. It has cruise control but not adaptive. Mine has traffic sign recognition, mostly speeds limits. It didn't come with it but managed to get Hyundai to enable it. Tyre pressure monitoring which is useful in an EV as the pressure req is higher than in ICEs and not necessarily visible when the pressure is below the required value. No frontal collision warning. It has Android Auto, wired, which works quite nice, but does not have integrated GPS. So it won't tell you where to charge on route.

The second generation is a step up but I don't know much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bshaftoe

It's the second generation, the one I am interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

I am assuming that the Kona battery issue is resolved in terms of buying a new Kona? I was on to a dealer in Waterford today who ‘believes’ the new Jan 2022 Konas will have the new facelift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I would imagine that the new "non-flammable" battery type is being put in the new models yes. Otherwise they would have to recall those too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

I see the new 'Facelift" Kona is coming to Ireland in 2022. I contacted the dealer today and he said that they are all 'premium spec' (Irish premium) and that the hyundai site is incorrect stating that the 64kw version is only available in executive trim. There's also the 39kw version ... was this in the Irish market or is this new?

The 39kWh was always a variant but not on the Irish market, some may have made their way here via UK import but I doubt it

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Some demo cars were 39kWh too I think. Bad battery pack though. Slow charging speeds like the ioniq 38.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

In a couple of weeks I'll be saying good bye to my Kona. It has served me well for almost two years, but I've had enough of Hyundai. It was a bad sign from day 0 when I was given a single phase cable for charging when one of the main features of the then new model was an upgraded 11kW three phase on-board charger.

The parts I liked were the fact it had great range and was compact enough to get around city parking easily. Beyond that, there's a whole bunch of things I didn't like:

1. A load of settings reset to default every time you turn off the car. So each time I start it up I have to switch off lane assist, again.
    2. The car like other EVs is known for having dodgy 12V management and despite software updates still manages to allow it to occasionally go dead (4 times for me in <2 years).
    3. The car goes to "sleep" after being off for few hours, meaning integration with solar is poor. If you plug the car in to allow it to soak up any excess from solar, or plug it into your charger too early, it won't wake up when the charger wants to provide power. You have to unlock it with the key or wake it up with the app manually.
    4. The high beam control has a stupid design where if you turn on automatic dipping, if the high beams are off, you can't turn off automatic dipping. You have to wait until they come on again by themselves, or switch light settings which turns off the lights as you move the selector.
    5. The air vent design is also stupid, whereby moving the direction adjust all the way to the right turns off the vent. So all the way to the right is off, but just shy of that is on and pointing to the right.
    6. The app is laggy and flakey. Oftentimes you have to issue commands twice to be sure they were actually carried out.
    7. Preconditioning when triggered from the app straight up doesn't work if the car is plugged into a charger and the charger isn't on, but works fine if the charger is on or it's not plugged in.
    8. The typical dumpster "paddy spec" has the genius design choice of redundant rear parking sensors and a reversing camera, but nothing on the front. Surely it would make more sense to put the sensors on the front with the camera on the back?
    9. You can't pop the boot lock. Not from the dash, not from the app, not from the key. Have to walk around and push the button manually.
    10. I had the passenger sensor for the seatbelt light/beep just randomly break in my car. Took them over 3 months to ship a replacement part from South Korea. By that time the problem had magically gone away by itself.
    11. In general crap service. Long wait times (3 hours for a software update?), bad estimates ("it'll be done by lunch", never was), never once got a loaner car. Dealership clearly also had no one in house with any knowledge or vague interest in EVs.
    12. Completely inadequate global response to the question of the HV battery recall. Some people say they got one, others got yet another BMS update, while they're rolling them out in North America. Hyundai Ireland and dealers clueless.

You mention the App, I though the App did not work in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Good luck with the new car. It seems that nearly half of you points are due to Hyundai and could have been avoided. It serves them right to loose you as customer. Back in 2019 Kona was the wonder kid. In 22 it is lost in the crowd.

Advertisement