Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Kona

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Kramer wrote: »
    & with the added possibility of spontaneously combusting, in your driveway :D.

Some of us have driven french cars before ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Irishjg wrote: »
    Is there anything official from Hyundai Ireland regarding the planned battery recall/replacements. Has any Hyundai EV driver received any notifications on the matter. Will Hyundai Ireland consider requests by owners of a product buyback from disgruntled owners. I haven’t seen any mention of the proposed battery replacements on the Hyundai Ireland website but it’s very badly laid out so maybe there is a section hidden in a background page.

Like the other recalls, one day everyone will just get a letter in the post, there won't be anything online.

Not sure I'd go through the hassle of a buyback tbh, you're getting a fresh battery with no degradation. Cars still perfectly good. Only unlike all the other EVs out there, the battery has undergone double the scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Kramer wrote: »
    & with the added possibility of spontaneously combusting, in your driveway :D.

Heck, why not not see if you can do better than Zafira...Hook up to the charge point underneath the Clare Hall Tesco store :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Anyone who bought a Kona 2018 (non electric) thinking of trading up to the new Tucson? Any idea of what the garage might offer in trade in etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Does anyone know if the 2021 model has electric driver seat / lumbar support?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭innrain

As ABRP beta got on the Android Auto made me link it to Torque pro using an ODBD2 and have an integrated navigation. The lack of this in the paddy spec Kona 2019 made me go fuming at the time.
    549676.jpg

So ABRP gets live updates from the car regarding battery status, temperature speed etc. There is a premium version of the software which claims that it will take into account weather and traffic info. Also it claims it will use live status of the chargers to direct you at the charger most likely to be free at the time of arrival.
    I've tested the free version around Dublin and it seems that its navigation algorithm is geared towards saving battery more than saving your time. A Carrickmines to Santry journey is directed towards town with 14 mins more than M50 route which is not given as an alternative. However, once I made it to suggest the right route its predicted battery state at arrival was quite good. So not for daily use but for longer journeys whenever those will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭10-10-20

innrain wrote: »
    So ABRP gets live updates from the car regarding battery status, temperature speed etc. There is a premium version of the software which claims that it will take into account weather and traffic info. Also it claims it will use live status of the chargers to direct you at the charger most likely to be free at the time of arrival.
    I've tested the free version around Dublin and it seems that its navigation algorithm is geared towards saving battery more than saving your time. A Carrickmines to Santry journey is directed towards town with 14 mins more than M50 route which is not given as an alternative. However, once I made it to suggest the right route its predicted battery state at arrival was quite good. So not for daily use but for longer journeys whenever those will happen.

I tested it with Torque Pro also, but found ABRP very hap-hazard in terms of functionality. Even a small twist to the route sent it into a tizzy recalculating the route, over and over. It meant that by the time you got to your destination, the graphs and data only represented a few km's of data, since the last route recalculation.
    As ABRP is dependent on Torque for the upload of EV data to the Torque servers which is then downloaded by ABRP, I even suggested to the developers of ABRP to make a OBD-II interface within the app for vehicles without native navigation, but I don't think they took it seriously. But don't get me wrong, ABRP is a very nice tool, just needs more km's under its development belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Thinking of getting a used 2019 Kona Electric from a dealer. I'm not in any rush though. Any thoughts on whether I should wait for the new model given the battery recall? Price is a bit under €30k before an 08 Focus TDI with plenty of mileage enters as trade-in. Very low mileage on the Kona. Will need the car for January.

I've very little idea of what counts as good value. Any idea roughly what I'd get for the Focus as trade-in too?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,837 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Couple of hundred for the focus unless they're running some scrappage deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,741 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Would be unusual to get a scrappage on a 19 plate car

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If it was a demo you might, not if it was pre-owned though

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Thinking of getting a used 2019 Kona Electric from a dealer. I'm not in any rush though. Any thoughts on whether I should wait for the new model given the battery recall? Price is a bit under €30k before an 08 Focus TDI with plenty of mileage enters as trade-in. Very low mileage on the Kona. Will need the car for January.

I've very little idea of what counts as good value. Any idea roughly what I'd get for the Focus as trade-in too?

I wouldn't worry about the recall, all that means is that you won't have to pay for any work done. Manufacturers do recalls all the time.

I woudl test drive one at 100 Km/hr or more though because the road noise from the 2019 I drove was deafening. You might not be bothered by it but I wouldn't be able to live with that. Could have been the tyres either but worth checking out if you think that might bother you.

I wouldn't worry about the recall, all that means is that you won't have to pay for any work done. Manufacturers do recalls all the time.

I woudl test drive one at 100 Km/hr or more though because the road noise from the 2019 I drove was deafening. You might not be bothered by it but I wouldn't be able to live with that. Could have been the tyres either but worth checking out if you think that might bother you.

I’ve a 19 Kona and the road noise is annoyingly loud, I’m still on the original tyres but I’ve wondered if different tyres would reduce it.

You do get used to it but it’s definitely noticeable at first.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    I’ve a 19 Kona and the road noise is annoyingly loud, I’m still on the original tyres but I’ve wondered if different tyres would reduce it.

You do get used to it but it’s definitely noticeable at first.

Different tyres should help but review their rating online go for the lowest db rating you can find, obviously don't compromise on wet grip which must be rated A for the torque of the front wheel drive Kona, E-Soul/Niro etc.

My tyres for the i3 were originially rated C for wet they're now A and the difference is noticeable.

Your tyres will get louder as they wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Damien360

We had a 2018 Kona petrol 1L. Road noise was absolutely terrible. You had to talk loudly to your passenger and not a hope those in the back heard you without really raising your voice. It’s not the engine (which is surprisingly pokey) unless you get to high revs and it gets very loud. We changed to a 2020 Toyota CHR and the difference is night and day. If road noise is an issue, don’t buy the Kona.

Different tyres should help but review their rating online go for the lowest db rating you can find, obviously don't compromise on wet grip which must be rated A for the torque of the front wheel drive Kona, E-Soul/Niro etc.

My tyres for the i3 were originially rated C for wet they're now A and the difference is noticeable.

Your tyres will get louder as they wear.

Yeah, that’s the plan. Tyres will probably be a bit more expensive as a result but I can’t live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 JimmyKane

Any Kona owners able to give an indication of how much it has cost them for an annual service? And whether that was with a main dealer or an independent garage? TIA

JimmyKane wrote: »
    Any Kona owners able to give an indication of how much it has cost them for an annual service? And whether that was with a main dealer or an independent garage? TIA

Dealership didn’t charge for my first service, and I’ve had 2 since that were €90 each.

No filters or anything changed in those but this will be done on the next service which I think is €160.

JimmyKane wrote: »
    Three times so far 80 quid each. One at every 15k km. Probably an expensive wash but required by the warranty. Hyundai dealership.

15,000 Km service intervals are really bad in this day and age especially for an EV, that would be twice a year for me. It was 30,000 for my 2015 Leaf.....

I'm not sure I would bring it in every 15K Kms to be honest. It's a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

15,000 Km service intervals are really bad in this day and age especially for an EV, that would be twice a year for me. It was 30,000 for my 2015 Leaf.....

I'm not sure I would bring it in every 15K Kms to be honest. It's a joke.

Seems to be a roundabout fee for the warranty. If it's only every other service that is unnecessary, then for the above poster it's €80 every 30k kilometers of a cost over regular service intervals. They should just let you pay it at 15k and 45k etc. and not bother wasting time going in if you don't want to :)

Three times so far 80 quid each. One at every 15k km. Probably an expensive wash but required by the warranty. Hyundai dealership.

Something wrong there, never heard of 15k interval for EV service, our Leaf is 30k and no service interval on Tesla.
    It’s not as if you’ll be burning through oil every 15k?

slave1 wrote: »
    Something wrong there, never heard of 15k interval for EV service, our Leaf is 30k and no service interval on Tesla.

That’s what I was told by Hyundai as well but I must check the paperwork.

I’ve been getting it serviced closer to 20K than 15K and they did the first one for free because there was nothing to service.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Roughly what price should a 2019 Kona with 30K done be costing on the 2nd hand market from a dealer?

That is in the manual. See the attach

That is in the manual. See the attach

Oh I’m not doubting the service interval is per Kona, just saying they are forcing diesel intervals into an EV which is loopy.
    The two longest serving EVs in the world have nowhere near those tiny gaps and no issues.
    I mean checking break disc and pads on an EV at 15k intervals?, they’re just making stuff up to beef what is really a very short once over

I agree here but probably they just need the data of how the battery behaves and because they don't have live connection to the car. They also want to keep the dealer network happy. As you said half of the stuff there is made up but is their warranty their rules. Skoda gives a compulsory "option" for 3 year warranty which costs 400 odd so it could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

Oh I’m not doubting the service interval is per Kona, just saying they are forcing diesel intervals into an EV which is loopy.
    The two longest serving EVs in the world have nowhere near those tiny gaps and no issues.
    I mean checking break disc and pads on an EV at 15k intervals?, they’re just making stuff up to beef what is really a very short once over

Brakes are the one thing you want to work when you press the pedal. That most are minimising their brake usage with single pedal driving it makes sense to check them on a regular basis. 15K km is more than some drive in a year so really surprised it's not 15k km or annually - whichever comes first.

I've a combined 141kms under our two EVs, all brake pads are originals without issue

• Advertisement

KildareMan wrote: »
    Brakes are the one thing you want to work when you press the pedal. That most are minimising their brake usage with single pedal driving it makes sense to check them on a regular basis. 15K km is more than some drive in a year so really surprised it's not 15k km or annually - whichever comes first.
    it actually says that in the manual but because I had my third check at 45k before the second year was up I didn't mentioned it.

Advertisement