Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Kona

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Didn't work when I first bought the car but in November 2020 it came online, guess it might depend on your model too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tony H

Bluelink works with no problems with my 2021 model , a bit slow at times to connect , but really handy .

Oh and one other really annoying thing about the Kona, whenever you're in Eco or Comfort driving mode, there's a really obvious lag in the accelerator pedal right after breaking. This is super noticeable when you're coming up to a roundabout and break, then left off and try accelerate. There's more lag than on an ICE vehicle! In sport mode it's not really a problem, but of course the car just spins the front wheels then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Howdy folks, owner of a used Kona and Mr Car saying service due 15,000kms after last one.

Is that correct? Leaf was 30,000kms so 15,000 seems very low for an EV?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭innrain

15k km or 12 months whichever comes first. Shop around and ask first about the price. First time in my life when I serviced a car after only 8k km.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The curse of the 12v battery stung me.

From reading up on it the trigger could be the boot switch causing the ECU to wake frequently instead of sleeping. We did have an issue with the boot not closing properly.

Contacted Hyundai who said that the 12v battery is 4 months out of the 2yr manuf. warranty. 😫

Before I start troubleshooting, has anybody delved deeper than this to uncover the cause?

Well known issue the 12v management is garbage. If you wake the car up too often with the app it also risks going flat, even with the latest BMS updates. Or if you leave it plugged in but not charging for more than 2 days.

Father's 12v got killed by the cold recently, good to see just how easy it was to jump start to get him going again (from EV to EV - near instantaneous).

€50 for a replacement. That's worth it just to ward off any further problems when someone isn't available to drive somewhere at a moment's notice to 'spring' him from a car park imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tony H

Has anyone experienced a ticking noise at low speeds , it's a known issue apparently, kinda sounds like a cv joint going , started about a month ago and seems to be getting progressively louder , we have about 12000km done .

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Ballylad

Got the dreaded 'check electric vehicle system' fault this morning. Called the AA breakdown assist, they could not reset fault. This car is currently awaiting battery replacement. This car has let me down several times in the last year, no hurry on battery replacement it seems. Garage closed until wednesday. Think this is my last kona, pity as range is excellent. Hyundai have handled this issue badly.

That's a shame, we have one since May and rock solid. Although, in for service last week (15k kms is waaaay to short an interval) and battery at 97% SOH which is a surprise to me given it was replaced in Feb and the size of the buffer so I phoned them and they said battery was not replaced. When I bought it (used 191) in May the seller told me it was and had letter from Kia saying it was (I don't doubt him).

I'll leave it until the new year to follow up on

Yes, they are a super ev for eating up the miles and the local garage has excellent customer service, very strange yours is at 97% SOH, hopefully they are not covering up issue, have a kia ev6 ordered to replace a e2008, maybe the kona needs to go first!. What range are you getting at the moment.

I got a good Bosch battery to replace the "Rocket" battery in situ. Got me thiniking, a deep-cycle battery would be better suited to an EV such as this as there is no need for the same level of CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) on an EV as there is on a petrol. I'm kinda thinking that if/when the Bosch goes, I'll just fit a 40A 12v golf-cart battery next time. Madness?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Dermot224

I bought a used 212 Kona and it does not have a button to turn off VESS. Is this normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I believe it's the new normal, as with new Niros.

Hi, Has anyone managed tofit a spare wheel into a 2020 Kona EV

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Bought 201 Kona electric premium SE 2 months ago from Belfast Hyundai, after 3 years of using the 28kwh classic Ioniq. I never had a single issue with the classic Ioniq, but now only 2 months with Kona. The 12w battery seems completely dead. Car won't unlock using the unlock button on car keys. Had to manually unlock using the detachable one. Am thinking to use the noco jump starter tomorrow to see if it will power up the 12w.

Anybody here has issues with the 12w. Mine only 11k miles on clock.

Post edited by peaceboi on

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that, like yourself I also had 28kw ioniq with no issues for 2years/140K kms, bought a 191 kona demo, had numerous issues with 12V battery, let me down several times, eventually had to get new battery, they said it was not covered by warranty, no issues since although its off the road again as main battery pack has to be replaced under recall/warranty.

Yes, I did have just before Christmas. It was 2 years and 4 months old. I went with a replacement Bosch battery which was only EUR 20 (140 total) more than some unheard of brand at a motor-factors.

The cold kills them, but if you load the battery by running the ancillaries with the main battery off, then it puts the 12v battery into a death-spiral. Best have the main battery engaged if you sitting in the car (listening to the radio, etc) or even pumping a tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

If you can get it jump started with the Noco then you could leave the car on in utility mode for a couple of hours as this is gives the 12v a constant charge. It's important to use utility mode rather than just leaving the car running normally.

Maybe your 12v battery is on its last legs anyway but doing the above might buy you some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'm thinking of a new electric Kona. Switching from Renault Captur that I really don't like. Has anyone got experience with both Kona models, i.e. 39kw and 69kw battery?

I'm wondering is it worth the extra money. Wouldn't be leaving Dublin too often and commute is down the M1 into town.

Also, is the 12v battery a real issue? I see it menua lot in the past few pages.

The 64kWh version gives huge range and the one that will you have a much easier time selling on in the future, the 39kWh is a bit of a lemon and should be few and far between on the Irish market.

We've had no 12v battery issue whatsoever

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We had to change our 12v battery this past weekend om our 2019 Kona as it had faile a few times over the past couple of weeks. There's only about 60k on the clock (I'm guessing from memory, OH drives it a lot more than I do)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Have the 64kWh. Love it.

Ran the battery down on the M50 the other day - went from 15% to 5% really quickly - and literally limped home in tortoise mode. If there was even a small hill on the road it drove at about 5mph. Some very angry drivers at the M50 roundabout when the lights went green and it took me 20 seconds to drive 20 feet.

Lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭spakman

Also had to replace 12v battery 191 Kona. First failed because boot wasn't closed properly so light was left on overnight and that drained the battery. It degraded from then and couldn't hold charge at all by time we got it replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

Beware boot is very small as are back seats. The few 39kWh were sold mainly dealer demo models first produced. You don't mention the range you need but say worst case winter you get 300+km range meaning you can go 150km from home without public charging. With 39kWh you can go 200+km so 100km from home. Public chargers are often busy, broken, blocked, so you don't want to need them regularly. If you have a second car for cross country trips it really helps.

In terms of 12 volt, for peace of mind replace them every 2 years, keep a small jump pack in glove box and learn how to open driver's door with emergency key. Then if say boot is left slightly open by a scarf in the gap, it won't take you more than 5 minutes to get going again. You also have free breakdown cover from AA via Hyundai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

New 2024 Kona EV in the metal, EV due for release in Korea May 2023.

Link :

Advertisement