Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a confirmed vaccine appointment - Post your age and appointment date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

I'm clinically diagnosed trypanophpobic (extreme needle phobia).
    I've got to take Xanax just to get in the same room as needles. I've done months of expensive CBT and exposure therapy to try to get this vaccine.

IMO it's totally unprofessional to use trigger words or trigger phrases. It can induce a panic attack, vasovagal syncope, etc. The nurse was probably trying to lighten the mood of another long day - they're probably exhausted. Have a laugh and make the work enjoyable but don't endanger people - medical professionals should know better.

If it helps, and it probably won’t, I’m not a fan of needles, can’t watch and get proper sweaty palms for the thought (obvs not as bad a severe phobia) but the needles used are so ridiculously thin in diameter that I genuinely did not feel it at all. Hope that can help ease the mind *thumbsup*

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I know for the flu jab, and the needles are similar, I’ve often been left waiting for the jab only to be told it’s already done.

Most doctors, nurses and dentists are also very adept at distracting you with conversation too.

Most of the time it’s over before you even know it’s begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

COVID-19 vaccine Dose 2 appointment:
    - When: Friday, 18 June
    - Where: Pairc Ui Chaoimh Vaccination Centre (CVC)

First jab was in City Hall, so change of venue!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭moshea

moshea wrote: »
    Text: 04/06
    Appointment: 07/06
    Where: Helix
    What: Pfizer

Will be rescheduling ... currently farting about wondering if I should delay rescheduling a bit as I'm not around till the 10th.

Rescheduled:04/06
    Text: 11/06
    Appointment: 15/06
    Where :Helix
    What: Pfizer

Rescheduled and got a new appointment that was 8 days after the first one. Happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If it helps, and it probably won’t, I’m not a fan of needles, can’t watch and get proper sweaty palms for the thought (obvs not as bad a severe phobia) but the needles used are so ridiculously thin in diameter that I genuinely did not feel it at all. Hope that can help ease the mind *thumbsup*

I don’t particularly like needles and generally have to look away which I did for the vaccine and I genuinely didn’t feel it at all. The girl said that’s done and i thought she’d just wiped my arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭positron

In my experience, the pain of needle going into you is usually less compared to the pain of the foreign substance being injected into you - it will have to push things around to make room for itself.

The Pfizer vaccine is such a small amount though - 0.3ml - tiny, and really doesn't hurt much.

I got my first shot three hours ago, I of course felt it, but it's immediately forgettable. And no immediate side effects either (I cycled home 30k after the shot).

You can also assume that given the number of these they're doing, they'll have it down to a find art. You're unlikely to get an inexperienced injector. So it'll be utterly unnoticeable.

I think the TV footage of needles in ultra high zoom and the overly staged injections didn't really help.
    The reality of a vaccination doesn't make good TV.

"how's it going?" "That's all done. Bye!"

Seems two ppl I know in Cork City 1981 and 1979 haven't appointments yet and one born in 1977 got theirs yesterday for Wednesday.

Doesn't seem to be moving particularly rapidly, despite the suggestions on this thread that Cork was flying though lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭xboxdad

I had bad memories about vaccinations from my childhood (decades ago).
    I was so surprised at the Helix that it's not like that anymore.
    I barely felt the whole thing at all.

I even told the vaccinator lady that I think these new needles must be extremely thin compared to the old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lumpy.Monkey

Thank you everyone for the support.

Does anyone know the opening time at Aviva? i want to go as early as possible to give myself the best chance of success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Does anyone know the opening time at Aviva? i want to go as early as possible to give myself the best chance of success.

IDK, but wanted to say one more thing:
    I haven't even seen the needle or the vaccine at all.
    I didn't try to "not see it", it just happened in a very relaxed way, we were just talking and I got it.
    I'm sure you can easily avoid ever seeing any of that stuff, which also helps I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

kenmc wrote: »
    1977, registered on the Tuesday evening when it opened early for 40-45; text today for UCD on Friday, Pfizer. Happy out

In the queue right now. Moving faster than I like, was hoping to get the afternoon off work :D

Things have changed a lot over the decades. The ability to mass produce very fine needles became more mainstream by the mid to late 1970s. It's likely anyone born after about 1975 had a very different view of needles to those born in the 40s, 50s and 60s

The volume of liquid involved in these vaccines is also absolutely tiny, so it doesn't cause pressure or discomfort.

There were also some pretty horrible older delivery systems involving intradermal injections, skin scratches, bifurcated needles, multiple rapid jabs at skin almost like tattooing and do on.

These COVID vaccines are ultra modern and designed to be delivered with a painless, intramuscular injection with an extremely fine needle. It's the same with modern flu vaccines.

So in a lot of cases, it's likely a comparison between a very brutal old techniques, old equipment and modernity. You might as well be comparing a modern car and a horse and cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

My local independent pharmacy are doing the J&J mid/ late June and taking names now .
    Think it’s a great step and will probably get the few who might have fallen through the cracks or haven’t taken up the chance to go to vacation centres.
    I know a few people 50 plus who are waiting on the on shot vaccine.

On the discussion on the getting the jab , I never even seen the needle and I didn’t feel it all and had to ask the lady if she actually had given it to me .. we were chatting away and all done. By no means nervous of needles but definitely one of the easiest vaccines I have gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Jaysus Lumpy Monkey, I'm completely invested in your getting your vaccine now. A massive well done for doing the CBT therapy and everything. Is there no way your GP would administer it for you? Or perhaps going in especially to the GPs surgery would be more difficult for you?

Anyhow, the very best of luck in the morning and I hope you get all done and dusted before anything triggers you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

40/1980
    Reg 02.06.2021
    Text 11.06.2021
    App 15.06.2021
    Meath.

What's the advice re consent? Just ignore it on the portal and complete it at the vaccination centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭techdiver

Received appointment today. Registered last Thursday 3rd of June.

Date: Thursday 17th June
    Vaccine: Moderna

Lumpy Monkey, bring a fully charged phone, headphones and something to watch or read while you're waiting.

Also be aware of the changes and evolution in the technology.

This really just is not the same system that was used when you went to get vaccines in the past.
    It shares very little in common with it, and is simply better, friendlier technology in every way.

Just try to think of it as a totally new experience. It's not at all like what you may have had done decades ago.

It'll be new, different and I guarantee you it'll change your view of this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

40/1980
    Reg 02.06.2021
    Text 11.06.2021
    App 15.06.2021
    Meath.

What's the advice re consent? Just ignore it on the portal and complete it at the vaccination centre.

Yes, they'll go through it all again anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Anyone know if they go by your birth year or by the date when you registered for the vaccine when sending out the appointments? I registered one day before my OH who just got an appointment, but I am a year younger, so I hope that's why I haven't gotten mine yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Space Dog wrote: »
    Anyone know if they go by your birth year or by the date when you registered for the vaccine when sending out the appointments? I registered one day before my OH who just got an appointment, but I am a year younger, so I hope that's why I haven't gotten mine yet...

Date of birth - registering early has no advantages.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Space Dog wrote: »

I certainly hope they go by birth year, especially if people registered before they were asked to. It does seem somewhat random.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Honestly, you will be ok.
    I had built myself up getting the vaccine over other issues I had prior to this vaccine. I didn't sleep for a few days, anxiety, pains in my chest, in fact, I felt pains everywhere beforehand.
    I can honestly say, I felt a scratch. Nothing else. I didn't really believe I had the jab til it hurt a little the next day.
    The needle for the vaccine is tiny, and because the fluid volume is tiny, it's in SO fast. You're best bet is to tell the vaccinator. Look away.
    Best of luck. (No luck needed though)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Appointment Received:14-05-21
    Appointment Date:17-05-21
    Vaccine: Moderna

Just got the text with the appointment for the second jab: 14th of June, exactly 4 weeks after the first one, can’t wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lumpy.Monkey

Lumpy Monkey, bring a fully charged phone, headphones and something to watch or read while you're waiting.

Also be aware of the changes and evolution in the technology.

This really just is not the same system that was used when you went to get vaccines in the past.
    It shares very little in common with it, and is simply better, friendlier technology in every way.

Just try to think of it as a totally new experience. It's not at all like what you may have had done decades ago.

It'll be new, different and I guarantee you it'll change your view of this subject.

It's the waiting that's half the problem - my Xanax wore off queuing last time!!
    I don't know when they open do going there for 8am tomorrow to ask and get my timing right.

With that, EMLA & disassociation techniques, I'm determined to succeed !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Has Cork slowed down?
    What age are we looking at now?
    Passed city hall yesterday and there was no one around.
    I believe 30+ registering next week.
    What are the hopes for 18+ being called in July?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭JPup

40/1980
    Reg 02.06.2021
    Text 11.06.2021
    App 15.06.2021
    Meath.

Glad to see an 80s baby on the board!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rks

I think its 9AM. What time is your appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

North county Dublin.
    Registered wed 02nd
    Text Fri 11th
    Appt Date: Wednesday 16th June
    Vaccine: Pfizer

Had to click "New" as We'd is the one day I'm not in the city. Hopefully won't be too long for the reschedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

IMO it's totally unprofessional to use trigger words or trigger phrases. It can induce a panic attack, vasovagal syncope, etc. The nurse was probably trying to lighten the mood of another long day - they're probably exhausted. Have a laugh and make the work enjoyable but don't endanger people - medical professionals should know better.

It also puts plenty of nerves people at ease. If you have a genuine phobia then you should have gone through your gp who can cater for your needs.

My son is late 20s with the same phobia. GP is happy to give him the vaccine when his age group comes up. His phobia shouldn't let him skip the queue but he has a recognised condition that allows his gp to vaccinate.

Advertisement