Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a confirmed vaccine appointment - Post your age and appointment date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭KayeQ

Registered 2nd June, I’m 43 and haven’t heard anything yet from Kildare.

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    The person saying shouting 7 meters away come down here come down here and I'll inject you with my big long needle is part of it.

3aa967b4b15ba144b6e5dd5334c44e6a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

KayeQ wrote: »
    Registered 2nd June, I’m 43 and haven’t heard anything yet from Kildare.
    Officially the start date for that age group was June 3rd so that's only 8 days. Relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

Who can I report my experience getting the vaccination injection to? I don't believe unprofessional people should be allowed to administer the vaccine.

Or just being an asshole shouldn't be allowed.

I thought this Thread was all about:
    Getting really hard to follow vaccination progress with all the OT stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

There's a guy called Joe Duffy. He can be contacted on 1850 715 815. (Queue diddly aye music).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

d15ude wrote: »
    I thought this Thread was all about:
    Getting really hard to follow vaccination progress with all the OT stuff.
    TBF that post relates to a vaccination appointment. You may find it harder to follow anyway as younger cohorts are less well represented on Boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

That wasn't the only thing, I don't really care, I went for a vaccine shot and I came away with one but their manner I could see being distressful for other people I don't want to go into it here on boards I just asked is there somewhere I can report my experience and then maybe they can have a word with the person to be more professional.

I don't understand the need for personal probing questions (Except security and medical history) this isn't a doctors appointment it's to get a vaccine shot.

You don't really care but you're getting offended on behalf of other people potentially getting upset (even though you don't know of anyone being reacting this way) and so you want to get this vaccinator into trouble?

This really sums up the modern world.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pat_bottom

3aa967b4b15ba144b6e5dd5334c44e6a.jpg

I was not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Pfizer appointment by gp.
    Done just now.
    Second dose July 8th
    South Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Age 55.
    Had my first dose. /Moderna/Fri 21 May @Breaffy

I estimate 21days gap until 2nd dose would be this, day be week.
    18 June.

Anyone else in 50s? How soon before followup dose did you get text for second appointment?

I got over a week notice for the first one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

ifconfig wrote: »
    Age 55.

18 June.

Anyone else in 50s? How soon before followup dose did you get text for second appointment?

Its a 4 week / 28 day gap between shots for Moderna - so 18th sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭twiglet24

ifconfig wrote: »
    Age 55.

18 June.

Yes- 28 day gap. I got first text on Thursday 6:30 pm for jab at 9:30 on the Saturday and get my second tomorrow morning- got the text on Wednesday afternoon. So you have plenty of time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lumpy.Monkey

is_that_so wrote: »
    I don't think that's poor behaviour TBH, just someone attracting your attention. Vent to your heart's content by all means but then just let it go.

I'm clinically diagnosed trypanophpobic (extreme needle phobia).
    I've got to take Xanax just to get in the same room as needles. I've done months of expensive CBT and exposure therapy to try to get this vaccine.

IMO it's totally unprofessional to use trigger words or trigger phrases. It can induce a panic attack, vasovagal syncope, etc. The nurse was probably trying to lighten the mood of another long day - they're probably exhausted. Have a laugh and make the work enjoyable but don't endanger people - medical professionals should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 WeepingAngels

Vaccine: Moderna 2nd jab
    Thursday 17th June - exactly 4 weeks after 1st jab

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

I've got to take Xanax just to get in the same room as needles. I've done months of expensive CBT and exposure therapy to try to get this vaccine.

IMO it's totally unprofessional to use trigger words or trigger phrases. It can induce a panic attack, vasovagal syncope, etc. The nurse was probably trying to lighten the mood of another long day - they're probably exhausted. Have a laugh and make the work enjoyable but don't endanger people - medical professionals should know better.

I understand it’s unprofessional and how tough a proper phobia like that must be, but rather than finding an official complaint portal, why not just say it to the person just as you’re finishing up?

Just say “thank you for your work, delighted to be vaccinated, but I do have a needle phobia and I found your approach to be off putting. I’m not going to complain you, but just for your own sake a more subtle approach may be best because some people find things more difficult than you might think.”

Then get up, smile and leave. They will undoubtedly apologise.

“Strongly worded letter” culture is headwrecking. Like people asking for the manager as they pay the bill in a restaurant rather than telling the waiting staff that their starter was cold at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭jd

55, scheduled for Tues 15th of June for second Pfizer at the Helix (D9)
    Four weeks to the day after my first dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I understand it’s unprofessional and how tough a proper phobia like that must be, but rather than finding an official complaint portal, why not just say it to the person just as you’re finishing up?

Just say “thank you for your work, delighted to be vaccinated, but I do have a needle phobia and I found your approach to be off putting. I’m not going to complain you, but just for your own sake a more subtle approach may be best because some people find things more difficult than you might think.”

“Strongly worded letter” culture is headwrecking. Like people asking for the manager as they pay the bill in a restaurant rather than telling the waiting staff that their starter was cold at the time.

I was actually surprised when I saw coverage of vaccine centres in Berlin. The branding was a giant syringe, painted onto the partitions in the MVC and on signage outside about 2 stories tall.

I just thought it seemed hugely inappropriate given you’ve people who would be really put off by that.

The HSE branding and layouts seem much more copped on to human psychology.

I agree though, you can’t really joke around with people about medical stuff. Lightening the mood is one thing but you have to be serious about the technical stuff.

It didn't happen to me, but if I was the person, I wouldn't be able to approach the nurse and would likely ended up hyperventilating with body spasms as that's my usual involuntarily reaction. I have a letter from my doctor explaining my phobia in case I can't speak with the anxiety.

A similar reaction happened at my last appointment at Aviva after asking for assistance outside and being told to just move on and ask the next person. They pulled me out of the queue having a panic attack after about 50 mins and sent me home as a nurse said it wasn't safe to vaccine me. The staff inside Aviva were really amazing & the nurse definitely knew how to deal with panic attacks.

People have enough ****e to be dealing with without complainers.
    I think you've got me confused with the person who had the experience ofthe nurse shouting & wanted to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I was actually surprised when I saw coverage of vaccine centres in Berlin. The branding was a giant syringe, painted onto the partitions in the MVC and on signage outside about 2 stories tall.

I just thought it seemed hugely inappropriate given you’ve people who would be really put off by that.

Yeah that would be a bit OTT tbf

Though Germany generally hasn't the best history when it comes to signage tbf ...

Irish people are incredibly bad at respectfully challenging anything. Its either quietly grumbling through fake smiles followed by bad mouthing behind the persons back, or all out aggression. The best thing for all is to deal with matters quietly and respectfully at the time. Having said that, because Irish people aren't used to being challenged in that manner, they immediately get the hackles up thinking "if that's what they say to my face, what must they really think of me"

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Yeah that would be a bit OTT tbf

Though Germany generally hasn't the best history when it comes to signage tbf ...

See what I mean: https://www.dw.com/en/germanys-covid-vaccine-campaign-showing-effect/a-57426369

How anyone thought that was a great design is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If you're phobic, don't sign up, stand aside and let others get vaccinated. You'll be better protected by the increasing herd immunity anyway.

And if, at some point, you grow a set and want to act like an adult, you can register later on down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

Not an option yet, but maybe by the time it comes to annual booster doses (if that ends up being a thing, as seems likely) this COVID vaccine patch currently in trials may be an option for you and others with similar phobias.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

Larbre34 wrote: »
    If you're phobic, don't sign up, stand aside and let others get vaccinated. You'll be better protected by the increasing herd immunity anyway.

And if, at some point, you grow a set and want to act like an adult, you can register later on down the line.

That is wholly inappropriate. People with true phobias do not choose them. Lumpy.Monkey has indicated the therapy (s)he has undertaken to address this phobia. It's absolutely not a question of needing to "grow a set" or "act like an adult".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Lumpy.Monkey tried to fight through their phobia to get vaccinated - they deserve a round of applause and not be sneered at and told to grow a set.

The other person looking for any reason to complain - not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 freckles2021

I just got this via text for anyone over 50 who hasn't received an appointment or was hoping to get Jansen:

Meaghers Pharmacy are now taking registrations for the single dose COVID 19 Vaccine Jansen to those over 50 years of age who have not yet received the vaccine. Register your interest here XXX and we will contact you to make an appointment. Optout txt MPSTOP to 51155

It won't let me post the link but it is:
    https:
    //
    bit.ly
    /3glDAGN

Vaccinations are starting mid-June...

Thanks for your feedback. I am an adult. I have one mental health challenge stemming from an abusive childhood experience. My reaction is involuntary.

If you know anything about phobias, the approach is to acknowledge it and develop coping strategies. Facing it head on to takes balls so, yea I've got a set, thanks.

I just got this via text for anyone over 50 who hasn't received an appointment or was hoping to get Jansen:

Meaghers Pharmacy are now taking registrations for the single dose COVID 19 Vaccine Jansen to those over 50 years of age who have not yet received the vaccine. Register your interest here XXX and we will contact you to make an appointment. Optout txt MPSTOP to 51155

It won't let me post the link but it is:
    https:
    //
    bit.ly
    /3glDAGN

Vaccinations are starting mid-June...

Link
    https://app.epharmacy.io/pharmacies/713b9eba-6430-441a-9fa7-874a777658ea/book/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Lumpy.Monkey tried to fight through their phobia to get vaccinated - they deserve a round of applause and not be sneered at and told to grow a set.

The other person looking for any reason to complain - not so much.

Would the GP approach not be better than an MVC in this case? There's gotta be more poor souls out there who need a bit of time and space rather than herded through like cattle. Better yet, try the pharmacy for a single shot Jansen!

• Advertisement

Irish people are incredibly bad at respectfully challenging anything. Its either quietly grumbling through fake smiles followed by bad mouthing behind the persons back, or all out aggression. The best thing for all is to deal with matters quietly and respectfully at the time. Having said that, because Irish people aren't used to being challenged in that manner, they immediately get the hackles up thinking "if that's what they say to my face, what must they really think of me"

Different cultures are different. Americans for example seem to default to full “Karen” mode way too readily and have an expectation of doormat like responses by staff, particularly if they’re living on tips, as many waiting staff and sales assistants (on commission) there do. I’ve seen horrendous arguments in the US and in Europe caused by various overly assertive Americans dealing with things “quietly and a respectfully.”

Ireland is by and large a small scale place and I think in common with a lot of the UK, France and so on, there’s a culture of avoiding direct conflicts. So you’ll get grumbling and putting up with it, or you’ll get passive aggressiveness.

There’s a Little Britain sketch where someone makes a complaint about Carol Beer (Computa Says No) when she’s working as a Spanish holiday rep. Sums it up rather well.

I think though in an MVC you’ve a fairly bubbly atmosphere and medical staff doing a very, very repetitive job.
    If you have ever dealt with very large numbers of people in any situation, it’s very trying after a while.

I’ve been hearing various horror stories of volunteers being lectured by members of the public at those centres. There’s a bit of a need in this case to just be nice and get on with it. It’s a national emergency medical crisis response, not the sales at Arnotts.

Advertisement