Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travellers Carrickpherish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭tbarry31

Young travellers from Carrickpherish road are causing hassle around the cleaboy using the northern estate and close by housing estates as shortcuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Hodger

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    its a dreadful situation, it shows our governments contempt to the seriousness of these situations, they actually dont give a sh1te about these desperate folks, its disgraceful, future elections are gonna be extremely angry affairs, and rightfully so

As many people will be aware a while ago further development plans for the Carrickphierish was voted down by councillors.

https://www.wlrfm.com/2021/03/23/waterford-traveller-group-criticises-populist-councillors-for-rejection-of-carrickphierish-plans/

One particular political party on their local facebook page tried to make the issue about " racism " but they failed to mention the anti social behavior in the area and didn,t take any concerns by non travellers residents in the area into any consideration.

Whenever the next elections are held any canvassers belonging to this political party I,ll be saying it them about the way they looked at Carrickphierish council vote from a very one sided point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Hodger wrote: »
    As many people will be aware a while ago further development plans for the Carrickphierish was voted down by councillors.

https://www.wlrfm.com/2021/03/23/waterford-traveller-group-criticises-populist-councillors-for-rejection-of-carrickphierish-plans/

One particular political party on their local facebook page tried to make the issue about " racism " but they failed to mention the anti social behavior in the area and didn,t take any concerns by non travellers residents in the area into any consideration.

Whenever the next elections are held any canvassers belonging to this political party I,ll be saying it them about the way they looked at Carrickphierish council vote from a very one sided point of view.

Which political party was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Azatadine wrote: »

Going by the linked article, I'd assume it was either the Labour party or the Greens. Could be wrong!

I'd love to see the reaction if I parked a portaloo on the footpath outside my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

In 2019 the Council spent just 46% (€77.5k) of the central funding provided by the Department of Housing for Traveller accommodation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

hardybuck wrote: »
    In 2019 the Council spent just 46% (€77.5k) of the central funding provided by the Department of Housing for Traveller accommodation.

Ah jaysus, you can't be coming on here introducing facts and logic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hodger wrote:

I'd be beyond enraged if I was living there, it's a disgraceful way to treat people, the whole situation is disgraceful. only desperate people will truly end up in those new developments, this government deserves to fall hard in the next ge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Tbf its quiet enough there at the minute, few of them gone off on the holidays including the lads in the 'Chalet'

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Tbf its quiet enough there at the minute, few of them gone off on the holidays including the lads in the 'Chalet'

Why go on holiday when you have such a beautiful chalet to live in all year round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Rustyman101

Deiseen wrote: »
    Why go on holiday when you have such a beautiful chalet to live in all year round?

Shouldn't that be Château. What kind of comoner would want to live in chalet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I passed over that way this morning and you wouldn't see as many cameras on Portlaoise prison as there are on the new estate, it's a real pity it has to be that way as the place looks well.

marlin vs wrote:
    I passed over that way this morning and you wouldn't see as many cameras on Portlaoise prison as there are on the new estate, it's a real pity it has to be that way as the place looks well.

Buildings certainly look well, but are those cameras there just during building or permanent? Such permanence sounds like an awful existence

At the time PBP had a few posts on their facebook being critical and playing the racism card over the way the councillors voted.

At the time PBP had a few posts on their facebook being critical and playing the racism card over the way the councillors voted.

happy days, we ll make sure they live next door to them then!

• Advertisement

A High Court challenge has been brought against a decision by Waterford Council's elected members not to develop Traveller accommodation in the city. Carrickphierrish Road....

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/0621/1229533-waterford-court-traveller-accommodation/

Azatadine wrote:
    A High Court challenge has been brought against a decision by Waterford Council's elected members not to develop Traveller accommodation in the city. Carrickphierrish Road....

Spotted that alright, ffs, does anyone give a sh1t about the settled residence at all

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

Video doing the round of a traveler giving a beating to one of local bikers.

Like something off of shameless.

Apologies if not related to thread- but it’s a deplorable video.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Another feud?

Biker as in a local just cycling through or a "biker" who they have an issue with? I assume they hardly just started beating up a cyclist who happened to pass through the no-mans land that is Carrickphierrish.

• Advertisement

Biker as in a local just cycling through or a "biker" who they have an issue with? I assume they hardly just started beating up a cyclist who happened to pass through the no-mans land that is Carrickphierrish.

biker as in sons of anarchy wearing leather pants biker

biker as in sons of anarchy wearing leather pants biker

This is Ireland. Hes likely a church going, middle class solicitor or accountant 45-55, in the office Monday to Friday, never off the emails and he goes all out sons of anarchy with the motorbike for 2 sunny Sundays in summer. :D

This is Ireland. Hes likely a church going, middle class solicitor or accountant 45-55, in the office Monday to Friday, never off the emails and he goes all out sons of anarchy with the motorbike for 2 sunny Sundays in summer. :D

No, he is one of the top Free wheelers. They are a fairly serious crew, I wouldn't like to get on the bad side of them.

Jaysus, sounds like all hell going to break loose up there I'd so....

No, he is one of the top Free wheelers. They are a fairly serious crew, I wouldn't like to get on the bad side of them.

Actually the attack happened in kilcohan not Carrickpherish. I'm not sure why it's being discussed in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Didnt something like this happen before and when the bikers finally cornered the "well known family" they called the guards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Rustyman101

Didnt something like this happen before and when the bikers finally cornered the "well known family" they called the guards
    I know who I'll be shouting for !

bikers wont let that one go, since authorities wont do anything about travelers, they certainly will

Not related at all, and there's a back story there. There were no 'nice guys' in that video.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Not related at all, and there's a back story there. There were no 'nice guys' in that video.

It used to be popular route for runners …….probably way to risky now to chance running past there based on above and same for the casual cyclist….?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Plenty of videos, and whatsapp messages going around.

Big lad bit off more than he can chew now though! Running looking for help, and then hiding out somewhere, while the auld lads on bikes look for him ...

Popcorn time.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

greenspurs wrote: »
    Plenty of videos, and whatsapp messages going around.

Big lad bit off more than he can chew now though! Running looking for help, and then hiding out somewhere, while the auld lads on bikes look for him ...

Popcorn time.

Is this a new fued between bikers and travellers?

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Is this a new fued between bikers and travellers?

tis now anyway, it ll get messy

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JimWinters

Back on topic, anti social issues have gone away over night! Not a sinner in the halting site in Carrickpherish, looks like everyone has cleared out of there. Maybe it’s related to the above or they’re all gone on their holibobs...

tis now anyway, it ll get messy

I would be willing to bet it won't.

I assume I can't name names here so I won't go into any detail, but I'd say as bitter as it may be to swallow that public humiliation, swallow it he will.

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    It used to be popular route for runners …….probably way to risky now to chance running past there based on above and same for the casual cyclist….?

Dunno, I'd jog past it on a regular basis and never experienced any hassle but I do know some who have had issues so who knows - its mostly the kids that are the problem I'd imagine

They seem to be causing more trouble up around the Cleaboy end at the moment though.

I would be willing to bet it won't.

I assume I can't name names here so I won't go into any detail, but I'd say as bitter as it may be to swallow that public humiliation, swallow it he will.

oh i dont think so, those lads are patient, they ll wait their turn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭aziz

A large crowd up at the clubhouse

aziz wrote: »
    A large crowd up at the clubhouse

What's the clubhouse?

• Advertisement

What's the clubhouse?

Free wheelers club house on meetinghouse lane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Saw the video. All I can sag is that I'm sure a hell is going to break lose.

I can assume its being taken down online, as I haven,t come across it.

I can assume its being taken down online, as I haven,t come across it.

Was sent it on Facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Was sent it on Facebook

Can you post a link?

Spotted that alright, ffs, does anyone give a sh1t about the settled residence at all

Growing in a local authority housing estate I remember at one point a group of travelers families arrived and set up camp on the outskirts of the estate, a few of the residents went to the council about it the group of traveler families eventually moved on.

But they caused anti social behavior in the brief time they were there. My thoughts go to the settled residents in Carrickpherish.

• Advertisement

Saw the video. All I can sag is that I'm sure a hell is going to break lose.

Those bikers will do absolutely nothing. You can be sure of that. Think you are confusing them with some chapter in America!!

The youngest of them are in their 50s and they don’t exactly look like lads into the MMA!!

Those bikers will do absolutely nothing. You can be sure of that. Think you are confusing them with some chapter in America!!

The youngest of them are in their 50s and they don’t exactly look like lads into the MMA!!

Well I mean, that's not exactly true. Couple of them who would be friends of mine are mid 30s like, but in the overall point I agree. Nothing of note will really happen, a 65 year old man went to do damage with a golf club, a kid and his missus both bearing weapons and shock horror the traveller didn't really care for reputation and handed his ass to him, and then apparently got arrested himself the day after.

I'd be more concerned if I was someone sharing the video actually, far easier targets for intimidation and reprisal to help ease the swallowing of that bitter pill.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd be willing to bet good money on it very very little will happen in the aftermath.

Well I mean, that's not exactly true. Couple of them who would be friends of mine are mid 30s like, but in the overall point I agree. Nothing of note will really happen, a 65 year old man went to do damage with a golf club, a kid and his missus both bearing weapons and shock horror the traveller didn't really care for reputation and handed his ass to him, and then apparently got arrested himself the day after.

I'd be more concerned if I was someone sharing the video actually, far easier targets for intimidation and reprisal to help ease the swallowing of that bitter pill.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd be willing to bet good money on it very very little will happen in the aftermath.

But with the whole thing being shared on social media,what are options there.
    Somehow I don’t see the bikers letting this one go,they will only lose respect from the other bike clubs in the country,so this is not the end of it,by any means

Hodger wrote:
    But they caused anti social behavior in the brief time they were there. My thoughts go to the settled residents in Carrickpherish.

It's disgraceful how badly they're being treated, and now they're gonna sell even more houses there!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement