Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers Carrickpherish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Someone got shot twice up there, but shur you took a spin up there so it must be grand.

And on the 'posh' side of town, around the same period, a teenager got acid thrown into his face. But that's on the posh side of town so that's grand.

As I pointed out, antisocial behaviour should be called out, and there are more constructive ways to do that than moaning in this thread about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭E38E3E38E3EE33

hardybuck wrote: »
    And on the 'posh' side of town, around the same period, a teenager got acid thrown into his face. But that's on the posh side of town so that's grand.

As I pointed out, antisocial behaviour should be called out, and there are more constructive ways to do that than moaning in this thread about it.

I had to call the gardai twice up there about a beating I witnessed, no gardai came in the time I was there. Maybe you should take more than a few spins up there and you might have a similar experience instead of moaning about people moaning on here.

I had to call the gardai twice up there about a beating I witnessed, no gardai came in the time I was there. Maybe you should take more than a few spins up there and you might have a similar experience instead of moaning about people moaning on here.

I have lots of experience of antisocial behaviour. I have had lots of interaction with members of the travelling community.

I'm not blind to the issues, and I'd say that was a frustrating experience involving the Gardai.

I am however bemused at some of the whinging of some here about it. I suspect some people here will overlook similar types of behaviour displayed in settled areas. While I want to avoid repeating myself, if you think this area is bad - go to any of the other cities and you'll see much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

You're saying he should go up there more often until he witnesses a beating? What's the best time to go up?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭E38E3E38E3EE33

You're saying he should go up there more often until he witnesses a beating? What's the best time to go up?

Strap a few copper pipes to yourself and go for a run there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Hodger

The rubbish is being cleaned up by the council, costing 7-8k a week iirc, Waterford News and Star have done a piece on it this week.

I read the article you speak of to no surprise no fines has being issued to anyone in question over it compare that in contrast to local news earlier this week that the council sent a warning email threatening to fine a woman over busking in the town centre, our local council sure have their priorities with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hodger wrote:
    I read the article you speak of to no surprise no fines has being issued to anyone in question over it compare that in contrast to local news earlier this week that the council sent a warning email threatening to fine a woman over busking in the town centre, our local council sure have their priorities with things.

Everyone's scaried of them, and understandable so, but this can't going on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Hodger wrote: »

€8000 weekly for council to clean up the rubbish......? Seems excessive, are they steam cleaning each caravan and stables also?

Must make a trip up that way some day to see what it’s like, I take it walking or cycling is way to risky......will have to be by car or by the way things are described is that even wise...?

Asdfgh2020 wrote:
    Must make a trip up that way some day to see what it’s like, I take it walking or cycling is way to risky......will have to be by car or by the way things are described is that even wise...?

Walking and cycling would be risky, it's a disaster zone alright, living there must be hell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, I'd avoid walking up there for sure. You could cycle by alright I'd say.

I dont know how much it costs to haul away their rubbish but it's not unusual to see mattresses and other household items fecked out on the side the road.

It'll be interesting to see how those new houses change the dynamic up there.

They won't have the whole road to themselves any more and the land for them to steal to feed the horses is starting to get reduced. There's a big development going in beside the Gaelscoil too I think so that'll reduce their land stealing further.

• Advertisement

Azatadine wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd avoid walking up there for sure. You could cycle by alright I'd say.

I dont know how much it costs to haul away their rubbish but it's not unusual to see mattresses and other household items fecked out on the side the road.

It'll be interesting to see how those new houses change the dynamic up there.

They won't have the whole road to themselves any more and the land for them to steal to feed the horses is starting to get reduced. There's a big development going in beside the Gaelscoil too I think so that'll reduce their land stealing further.

cant see it changing much at all, it ll probably just be a bigger no go area. maybe if we all started ditching our waste around the place, things might change

That's the fear alright. Might actually make the entire area a no go altogether.

That estate opposite the halting site is going up fast! Passed by on Saturday and big progress in relation to the build.

Azatadine wrote:
    That estate opposite the halting site is going up fast! Passed by on Saturday and big progress in relation to the build.

.... And only desperate people will end up in them, what a sh1t show!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    .... And only desperate people will end up in them, what a sh1t show!

I was just thinking that myself too. Imagine ending up in one of the front row with a view into the halting site and the state of it. Nice.....

I was just thinking that myself too. Imagine ending up in one of the front row with a view into the halting site and the state of it. Nice.....

its a dreadful situation, it shows our governments contempt to the seriousness of these situations, they actually dont give a sh1te about these desperate folks, its disgraceful, future elections are gonna be extremely angry affairs, and rightfully so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Bet it would be fun to live there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Bet it would be fun to live there

Just build a 20ft wall around the house with razor wire on top and you're all set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

https://youtu.be/0MKil-x5HUg

Found this video about Kilbarry in 2007. Similar problems and nothing learned since. 12 families in the bays and about 20 their illegally.

https://youtu.be/0MKil-x5HUg

Found this video about Kilbarry in 2007. Similar problems and nothing learned since. 12 families in the bays and about 20 their illegally.

we dont actually really know what to do about travelers, but we certainly keep making it worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭tbarry31

Young travellers from Carrickpherish road are causing hassle around the cleaboy using the northern estate and close by housing estates as shortcuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Hodger

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    its a dreadful situation, it shows our governments contempt to the seriousness of these situations, they actually dont give a sh1te about these desperate folks, its disgraceful, future elections are gonna be extremely angry affairs, and rightfully so

As many people will be aware a while ago further development plans for the Carrickphierish was voted down by councillors.

https://www.wlrfm.com/2021/03/23/waterford-traveller-group-criticises-populist-councillors-for-rejection-of-carrickphierish-plans/

One particular political party on their local facebook page tried to make the issue about " racism " but they failed to mention the anti social behavior in the area and didn,t take any concerns by non travellers residents in the area into any consideration.

Whenever the next elections are held any canvassers belonging to this political party I,ll be saying it them about the way they looked at Carrickphierish council vote from a very one sided point of view.

Hodger wrote: »
    As many people will be aware a while ago further development plans for the Carrickphierish was voted down by councillors.

https://www.wlrfm.com/2021/03/23/waterford-traveller-group-criticises-populist-councillors-for-rejection-of-carrickphierish-plans/

One particular political party on their local facebook page tried to make the issue about " racism " but they failed to mention the anti social behavior in the area and didn,t take any concerns by non travellers residents in the area into any consideration.

Whenever the next elections are held any canvassers belonging to this political party I,ll be saying it them about the way they looked at Carrickphierish council vote from a very one sided point of view.

Which political party was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Which political party was it?

Going by the linked article, I'd assume it was either the Labour party or the Greens. Could be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I'd love to see the reaction if I parked a portaloo on the footpath outside my house.

In 2019 the Council spent just 46% (€77.5k) of the central funding provided by the Department of Housing for Traveller accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

hardybuck wrote: »
    In 2019 the Council spent just 46% (€77.5k) of the central funding provided by the Department of Housing for Traveller accommodation.

Ah jaysus, you can't be coming on here introducing facts and logic!

Hodger wrote:

I'd be beyond enraged if I was living there, it's a disgraceful way to treat people, the whole situation is disgraceful. only desperate people will truly end up in those new developments, this government deserves to fall hard in the next ge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,012 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Tbf its quiet enough there at the minute, few of them gone off on the holidays including the lads in the 'Chalet'

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Tbf its quiet enough there at the minute, few of them gone off on the holidays including the lads in the 'Chalet'

Why go on holiday when you have such a beautiful chalet to live in all year round?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement