Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers Carrickpherish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,026 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Can second it tbh, I live in the area and use the road daily. Never had a negative interaction 🤷‍♂️ I'm sure some do of course (and I'd hate to be on the doorstep with them), but as with a lot I suppose it is quite possibly exaggerated for effect.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

On the contrary……On the balance of probabilities you would expect to witness something given the supposedly frequency of the antisocial behaviour taking place there…?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Lads, I used to cycle along the Carrickpherish road at least once a week. I had to stop and go a different way because it became too risky. One day some prick jumped at me to try and knock me off. Another day another prick ran at me with a stick. It is not exaggerated there is a problem in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Absolutely, it's a rough spot and the squalor is atrocious. I still can't understand how anyone, back in the day, thought it would be a good idea to put a halting site on a new road at the entrance to the city......and near multi nationals like Bausch and Sanofi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

It was an absolutely absurd place to put a halting site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Out of interest, where is the best place to put a halting site?

At the entrance to the city is certainly one of the worst anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Affluent areas, being around the pillars of society will change their mind set.

Like around the corner from big wig TD's and the SJW's that see nothing wrong with how they behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I don't see it being an entrance to the city. You would have to pretty much take a big diversion to go out of your way to come from any direction to pass by that area if you do indeed want to end up in the city centre.

Main entrances to the city come from the Tramore Road, Cork Road, Dunmore Road, and from across the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭nomoedoe

Bilberry halting site is directly across from the bridge at the entrance to the city ,out the Dunmore road would be a good place to put one say down by the Balinakill centre or Ardkeen stores ,but everyone knows there will never be a halting site anywhere near there ,out of sight out of mind up in Carrickpherish and that’s what the council want,give it a few years and that whole suburb will be a no go area.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Madeoface

What relevance have the multinationals in the selection of halting sites

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

“According to Cllr Jody Power (GP) the cultural requirements of the Traveller people have not been taken into consideration in the plan. He said they need horse boxes, sulkies, motorhomes, stables and fields to supplement their culture.”

Don’t know if anyone has noticed this from the article by the fella from the Green Party,

he is claiming the people of Waterford need to give these few families

1) fields (which fields?)

2) horse boxes (why?)

3) motor homes

(the rate payer in Waterford city better cough to pay 50-100 thousand euro for 1 motor home per person in that estate)

4) sulkies

(that is right, the Green Party are promoting traffic deaths and severe and disgusting animal abuse having children riding sulkies)

Please tell me this man is not still a councillor, seems like a bigger scumbag than some in those areas,

well done to the councillors who would not be allow one rule for some and one for another

The whole planning for housing/accommodation along the Carrickpherish Road is an utter embarrassment and disgrace, especially on the road opposite the halting site- apartments just built in the middle of nowhere.

I can't speak of the trouble in the area but it definitely looks tidier than it did a while back. I use the road relatively frequently and it was so bad a while back I took the long way around.

If you're visiting Sanofi, West, Bausch & Lomb, etc..., it's very much an entrance to the city. These companies are the backbone of the city economically. There's also quite a bit of land up there so any potential investors to the area are not going to want trouble on their doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Three houses there at present. Plan suggests five to be added in the site currently occupied by the tigeens. The road there is hardly an entrance to the city. Important industrialists come by air to the airport. Others come to IDA offices and thence to IDA sites. That being said, the road is mainly used by people exiting the IDA estates and seeking to cross Rice Bridge. The traveller site has been a rash on Carrigphierish since it was built and the council simply ignored all manner of activities. Housing and planning absolved themselves from any responsibility for the site. Council now find themselves having to satisfy members of the traveller community under the Traveller Accommodation Plan. I am not a Green supporter but the man from that party has it right. There was no room with three houses for horses van and horseboxes. Now that the site will be fully buit on it will have no spare ground at all. Travellers keep horses whether we like it or not. They need ground and traveller horse projects have been successful in other areas. The present proposal is completely unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Deiseen

If travellers do not have the proper facilities for horses, then the horses should be instantly taken off them. If they repeat this behaviour, then they should be fined and then jailed for animal abuse.

If they want fields or stables, then I suggest they work for them and purchase these facilities, like every other citizen in the land would have to. Otherwise they should permanently forget about owning horses if they are unable to care for these animals. The state and the tax payer should never have to foot the bill for their want to own horses.

It could not be more simple than that.

what sort of trouble….a few feral children running around after each other on footpaths about half a mile from the places you mention and a few overweight adults who use bad language and allegedly threaten /assault walkers and cyclists…..?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭azimuth17

In a perfect world, sure. In Ireland..? We'll be waiting.

If a George Floyd/Rodney king type incident occurred in Ireland and Floyd/King was from a traveller background what would be the general view of the general public…..would there be protests etc. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Is ireland known for gardai killing travellers or beating them up? Kinda bad comparison as was more history behind America protests or looting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I quite clearly stated that I cannot speak of the trouble in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

This is the same councillor who wanted a China town in Ballybricken and a bust of Michael Collins on Mount Misery.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So you'd be fine if the Gardai killed a person in the same manner? You wouldn't think its wrong and that the dehumanizing of people should change?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Or maybe it's a dumb comparison of something entirely hypothetical and something with a long and continuing history of actually happening.

The shop on the Carrickphierish road is a dangerous area in terms of parking. People actually park ON the road outside the shop. Crazy. They just park up on the actual road.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭new92

Did I read that right? Jody Power is a bigger scumbag than some in those areas. Please god give me patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Judging by the way he sees travellers as some sort of inferior race, not to be treated as serious adults, destined to remain an isolated sub-culture to feel pitied and that horses should be brutalised to allow people to get their kicks and nearly kill other traffic users or children - then yes, he is a scumbag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Why, what did he say?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement