Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

Are you for real? It was all over social media!

Master stroke by David, made news far beyond anything winning EV ever would have made, great publicity stunt, intended or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭patscott27

Bring back the Castlebar International Song contest (Think San Remo but with ****e weather)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

A few people have mentioned getting established acts to represent Ireland. It might surprise some to learn that only the singer is performing live; instruments are all pre-recorded. If for no other reason, I think that would discourage the likes of Fontaine’s DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,437 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I am still in shock that Italy won. Don't get me wrong I am delighted for Italy but the song itself if it can even be called that was terrible just a load of noise. Greece were a thousand times better and so were Sweden, Malta and a few others. Portugal's, Frances, the Uks, Icelands, Isreals, Ukraine's and Russias songs do if they can even be called that were all terrible.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,960 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

patscott27 wrote: »
    Bring back the Castlebar International Song contest (Think San Remo but with ****e weather)

BBC4 had a (repeated) documentary called Eurovision at 60 on Friday night.
    Dana was on it and mentioned that Irish winners were winners because they were just songs, songs that were not written for Eurovision, just plain old good songs.
    She even pointed out that Shay Healy was not even a song writer, he was a broadcaster.

And she was dead right, trying to engineer songs that have a certain style to fit Eurovision is a fools errand.
    Plenty of good songs have won Eurovision in recent years because they were first and foremost good songs.

So with that in mind bring back the Castlebar International Song Contest, tell the entries that they are writing songs for a small contest and then spring it on the best Irish song that they are going to represent in Europe also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy85

I think The Netherlands did a great job staging the show under difficult circumstances.

Although I'm not a huge fan of the winning song, it's hard to begrudge Italy the win. They've consistently sent strong/diverse songs since their return 10 years ago. It was only a matter of time that they won.

Was pleasantly surprised with the final top 5 result overall.

As for Ireland going forward, I really don't know what the solution is. But I don't think Sinead O'Connor is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,047 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Flying Fox wrote: »
    The Italian singer tested negative.

https://eurovision.tv/mediacentre/release/ebu-statement-on-alleged-drug-use-at-eurovision-song-contest-2021

Hopefully that knocks it on the head now. Such a stupid thing to overshadow their win.

He was just miming doing a line in keeping with his band pretending to play their instruments to keep up the rock & roll persona

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Can't believe people are falling for the negative drug story.

Jesus where have you people been hiding all your lives!!???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That’s what I said :)

Cool bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I see myself in 10 years time still listening to Ukraine's song.

One of the best songs to not win the Eurovision.

• Advertisement

Can't believe people are falling for the negative drug story.

Jesus where have you people been hiding all your lives!!???

Can't believe you're naive enough to believe something you read off Twitter.

Have you seen the actual footage? His nostrils would need to have the power of a Dyson.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,047 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

RobertKK wrote: »

Up there with Volare

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

Well done to Italy! It's a different song to most on Eurovision but having listened to it on loop on Spotify the last few days, it's a real head bopper. Their other songs are worth listening to too.

Just worth mentioning, the lead singer Damiano David of Maneskin is only 22 years of age. Born in 1999. Yes that also took me by surprise. Fair play to him, he's a real show man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Fair play to Italy, didn't think the song was great, but a win is long overdue for them. I think they abandoned eurovision for a few years but gave it another go.
    The song and staging ticked a lot of boxes and appealed to the younger voters who probably make up a lot of the voters. Bit of kitsch thrown in. quirky. men wearing eye liner, always important in eurovision these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

RobertKK wrote: »

It's funny how we all perceive music. Personally I found that lady with the green feathers song one of the most bizarre pieces of rubbish I've ever seen watching 40 years of Eurovision. In my opinion it would easily make a top 20 most bizarre Eurovision entries of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,682 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's funny how we all perceive music. Personally I found that lady with the green feathers song one of the most bizarre pieces of rubbish I've ever seen watching 40 years of Eurovision. In my opinion it would easily make a top 20 most bizarre Eurovision entries of all time.

I'm not sure I'd go quite that far..... There's been some outstanding garbage over the years that would leave her in the shade!!

(Germany's entry year being the most recent example! The Ariel "do you pod?" ad reimagined)

But I don't get the love for it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,454 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Fair play to Italy, didn't think the song was great, but a win is long overdue for them. I think they abandoned eurovision for a few years but gave it another go.
    The song and staging ticked a lot of boxes and appealed to the younger voters who probably make up a lot of the voters. Bit of kitsch thrown in. quirky. men wearing eye liner, always important in eurovision these days.

It's called a Song contest but it isn't really... from the get go points by the jury have always been awarded based on the song, the performance, the staging.
    The Switzerland entry won the award voted for by all the song composers so it might be the best 'song'.

With Italy staging the contest next year, I imagine their established artists will have an extra incentive for winning San Remo - I think in previous years the winners didn't always take up the Eurovision slot.

I think last year's Italian entry was a powerful performance also and would have done well ... virtually staged in an empty ampitheatre by Diodato

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LennieB

Irish Times today - "We’re a Eurovision flop – and we can’t blame the televoting. Here’s how Ireland can fight back"

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/we-re-a-eurovision-flop-and-we-can-t-blame-the-televoting-here-s-how-ireland-can-fight-back-1.4574035

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Britain seriously have to re-evaluate their financial contributions it’s getting ridiculous for them now

you know for a country that has given us the best pop/rock artists in the world their eurovision success has been very mediocre at best...how come they never sent Right said Fred, Rick Astley, Lisa Stansfield, Spice Girls etc etc...they have loads of singers & songwriters to choose from

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

fryup wrote: »
    you know for a country that has given us the best pop/rock artists in the world their eurovision success has been very mediocre at best...how come they never sent Right said Fred, Rick Astley, Lisa Stansfield, Spice Girls etc etc...they have loads of singers & songwriters to choose from
    They should be digging up the corny pop acts like Shampoo and Vanilla. The Europeans might like them and give a nostalgia vote.
    Jedward did well for us so we should enter B-Witched or some crap like that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

LennieB wrote: »
    Irish Times today - "We’re a Eurovision flop – and we can’t blame the televoting. Here’s how Ireland can fight back"

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/we-re-a-eurovision-flop-and-we-can-t-blame-the-televoting-here-s-how-ireland-can-fight-back-1.4574035
    They didn’t love Maps enough to give it the kind of score that could have helped propel it through to Saturday night, however, with none of them awarding the song more than three points.

I think out of the songs that it was up against it did as well as it could have expected to do. (he does explain this further down)
    Countries such as Austria, Portugal, the Netherlands, Belgium and Switzerland could similarly have claimed to be victims of bloc voting until recent years, but all have achieved some success – indeed, a number of wins – in the past few years.

I think vote block voting is a thing, it won't win the Eurovision for you, but countries on the edges won't do as well, really no reason for Spain or the UK do do as badly as they did, their songs were mediocre and forgettable, but the blocvote cause them IMO to miss out on being higher up on the list. Beligum also from a televoting perspective.

They should be digging up the corny pop acts like Shampoo and Vanilla. The Europeans might like them and give a nostalgia vote.
    Jedward did well for us so we should enter B-Witched or some crap like that :D

Eh, no. That's just more of the same old rubbish.

Send something vaguely contemporary that stands up as a song in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd go quite that far..... There's been some outstanding garbage over the years that would leave her in the shade!!

(Germany's entry year being the most recent example! The Ariel "do you pod?" ad reimagined)

But I don't get the love for it at all!

The German entry wasn't as bad imo as the Ukrainian.

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Eh, no. That's just more of the same old rubbish.

Send something vaguely contemporary that stands up as a song in its own right.
    What about going down the trad/folk route?

What about going down the trad/folk route?

Can't stop the spring Dervish brings me out in a rash when I hear it again. Not saying don't go down that route but in my opinion it was worse than Dustin.

patscott27 wrote: »
    Can't stop the spring Dervish brings me out in a rash when I hear it again. Not saying don't go down that route but in my opinion it was worse than Dustin.
    Maybe Enya? She is huge on the continent, we couldn't lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Johnny Logan is still huge in Denmark I believe!

Maybe. How about Damian Dempsey?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Funnily enough, the German song did somewhat better in the televote than the other three nul-pointers. UK, Spain and Netherlands were consistently in the bottom five of pretty much every country's televote, whereas Germany was more frequently ranked in the 14th-20th range; not popular enough to break into anyone's top ten but still performing better generally than the other zeroes did.

But it goes to show that even if your song is moderately well-liked, you're still heading for zero points unless you can get enough people who enjoy it enough to actually vote for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,454 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Funnily enough, the German song did somewhat better in the televote than the other three nul-pointers. UK, Spain and Netherlands were consistently in the bottom five of pretty much every country's televote, whereas Germany was more frequently ranked in the 14th-20th range; not popular enough to break into anyone's top ten but still performing better generally than the other zeroes did.
    But it goes to show that even if your song is moderately well-liked, you're still heading for zero points unless you can get enough people who enjoy it enough to actually vote for it.

Reading between the lines, you are better off being loved (even by smaller number) and hated (by lots) than moderately liked by all in terms of gaining points.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement