Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Best interval ever! Usually I'm wishing it would hurry up but it was class yesterday.

Love that Sweden song "Heroes"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I don't understand how people watch soaps 3 times or more a week, or the X factor for the entire run, but each to their own.

Why do people follow foreign sports, foreign soaps, foreign news etc? Why do we watch the Eurovision in the first place? Silly question.

As for money, all the county rounds could be done locally. No need to hire out the Helix for a year ;)

TG4 would do a far better job than RTE anyway.

Would be a ratings black hole. Would get zero sponsorship. Would cost a fortune.

Foreign sports are of a higher standard than LOI or would have an Irish angle, although I am a LOI fan, foreign soaps are of a much higher standard than Fair City, I’m not sure how many people watch foreign news, bar huge international stories. TG4 wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Fandymo wrote: »
    Would be a ratings black hole. Would get zero sponsorship. Would cost a fortune.

Foreign sports are of a higher standard than LOI or would have an Irish angle, although I am a LOI fan, foreign soaps are of a much higher standard than Fair City, I’m not sure how many people watch foreign news, bar huge international stories. TG4 wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole.

A long from competition utilizing local and national broadcasters, along with the 7pm slot following the 6.1 news, and final Saturday night show would allow for ratings.

But that should not be the reason to air or produce a programme or to at least pilot a programme.

Regardless of the format, look at the popularity of You're A Star when it aired.

I have found Ros Na Run often equals the British soaps, but then I can't watch EastEnders, and weather you or I like it or not Fair City retains an audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭archfi

National Warning:
    Do not in any way go down the road of counties as a framework for picking a decent effort from Ireland.
    Jaysus. Just don't.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I was driving along the motorway yesterday and saw a sign for Mullingar, and thought why don't we ask yer man Niall Horan to do a song and perform it at Eurovision??

I don't think it would be a step down or step back for him given he emerged from the X Factor/boyband/cheesy pop world....

Surely he'd be a good shout to at least qualify for the final.... I know we did similar with Jedward & Nicky Byrne, but this guy Horan seems to have a little bit of talent, and can play a guitar.... Got to be worth a shot??

Also, who was watching Reeling in the Years 2016 last night, and thinking during every Irish song "this would be a belter for the Eurovision"

As I said earlier in the thread, sod trying to win it, just use it to promote Irish culture, and all things Irish..

It's about time we gave up on the generic pop trash that we are clearly rubbish at... (I'm aware this slightly contradicts my above statement re Horan, but he could easily fall into the singer/songwriter with a guitar/Ed Sheehan category).... )(just as long as he's not singing about how much he loves loving you or some other generic pop rubbish...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

The problem with Ireland and Eurovision is that:

1. We're snobby when it comes to Eurovision, any established Irish artist is not going to go for Eurovision, as the contest is 'beneath them'

2. As an English speaking nation we put our best foot forward with radio play on a national and an international level. Unlike, say Russian, there are some of our acts in general that will see the light of the day beyond our borders. Therefore our options are watered down.

3. Even with the split in our Eurovision entries and our recent song quality output, the quality overall in general, is not that bombastic or ambitious as Eurovision warrants (I blame national radio and TV coverage for failing to recognise ambition in favour of twee/generic). I don't know what half of the other Eurovision entries are about, but they're ambitious, whether that be technically, lyrically, vocally.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

fluke wrote: »
    2. As an English speaking nation we put our best foot forward with radio play on a national and an international level. Unlike, say Russian, there are some of our acts in general that will see the light of the day beyond our borders. Therefore our options are watered down.

Maybe not at global (aka American level) but I think you underestimate the profile of European artists across other countries of similar language \ culture.

Russian artists would have an international profile among the large Russian speaking communities in other eastern European countries.
    Italian acts get exposure at San Remo across Europe.
    France-Belgium-Switzerland would have shared language connections.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

English is the most common second language in Europe and about 90% of winning songs are in English since the rules were changed to allow for any language.

Its another reason why we no longer stand out.

The main reasons why we have gone backwards in the competition are a combination of:

1. More English songs
    2. More entrants so more competition
    3. We're terrible at staging
    4. Bland acts and songs

Just send a death metal band next year and see how we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I remember Thom Yorke saying a few years ago that he would love to enter ESC for the UK, either solo or with Radiohead.
    Why have they not taken him up on the offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That voting system was torturous to watch. I don’t enjoy seeing people’s hopes built up only to be dashed.

Hah it was great.. some of these people have pretty large egos. If they can't stand the heat in the kitchen, not the place for them.

• Advertisement

No I hope the eurovision doesn't go that route of just getting the biggest names...getting Niall Horan because he has fans from 1D that will vote for him.

It's far too risky for a big name to enter anyways. If they don't win it then it looks like they're not that popular.

archfi wrote: »
    National Warning:
    Do not in any way go down the road of counties as a framework for picking a decent effort from Ireland.
    Jaysus. Just don't.

Because .... we've sent so many winners?

I am just doing it out of entertainment nothing more nothing less. You could limit the voting to Jury votes only, if you want to remove a perceived bias towards Dublin or the Six Counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭archfi

Elmo wrote: »
    Because .... we've sent so many winners?

I am just doing it out of entertainment nothing more nothing less. You could limit the voting to Jury votes only, if you want to remove a perceived bias towards Dublin or the Six Counties.
    Public voting in a competition along county lines is always disastrous.
    And to be honest, half of Dublin is populated by our country brethren - it wouldn't be skewed toward a Dubliner for sure ;)
    It'd inevitably turn into a GAA jersey joke!
    As for juries, I'd take it away completely from anyone involved or related to anyone in RTE plus go to Europe to get non-partisan, professional opinions/scoring
    Maybe after that, stick the top two up for a once off public vote.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

fluke wrote: »

1. We're snobby when it comes to Eurovision, any established Irish artist is not going to go for Eurovision, as the contest is 'beneath them'

3. Even with the split in our Eurovision entries and our recent song quality output, the quality overall in general, is not that bombastic or ambitious as Eurovision warrants (I blame national radio and TV coverage for failing to recognise ambition in favour of twee/generic). I don't know what half of the other Eurovision entries are about, but they're ambitious, whether that be technically, lyrically, vocally.

"Beneath them" is laughable though. Some of those acts on Saturday like the Italian rock band and France, Switzerland and Iceland etc would be far superior in calibre than a lot of singers on the Irish music scene. It's a bit rich to be in such a shallow musical pool and think you're too good for Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Why can't we just send the Rose of Tralee?

If ya want counties to be involved. :rolleyes:

I reckon his buddy was only giving him the gentle nudge to let him know he was on camera.

Just to clarify, I don't think he was snorting lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

Strazdas wrote: »
    "Beneath them" is laughable though. Some of those acts on Saturday like the Italian rock band and France, Switzerland and Iceland etc would be far superior in calibre than a lot of singers on the Irish music scene. It's a bit rich to be in such a shallow musical pool and think you're too good for Eurovision.

Exactly, Irish artists need to realise ESC has moved on so much from the cheese fest it used to be. It is becoming bigger and more credible every year. They should view the contest as a tremendous opportunity to promote their music on a global stage. Duncan Laurence gained a billion streams on Spotify and Maneskin are a very credible act in the Italian music scene as are the likes of Hurricane, Barbara Pravi & Sergey Lazarev in their respective domestic markets.

Ireland is really falling behind everyone else, even if you look look at our qualification history compared to other similar sized or smaller countries over the past 7 Contests (2014 - 2021);

Ireland qualified 1 Time
    Croatia, Georgia & Latvia qualified 2 Times
    Estonia, Czech Republic, Iceland & San Marino qualified 3 Times
    Malta, Albania, Slovenia & Lithuania qualified 4 Times
    Cyprus qualified 6 Times

Something needs to change in RTE regarding the way our entries are selected.

afatbollix wrote: »
    Why can't we just send the Rose of Tralee?

If ya want counties to be involved. :rolleyes:

They don't cover all of the counties and you'd have Irish Americans bringing along their poetry! :pac: .... wait this might be better.

I did say remove the local aspect by making it a Jury vote, with juries coming being made up of people selected by local radio stations etc.

As for juries, I'd take it away completely from anyone involved or related to anyone in RTE plus go to Europe to get non-partisan, professional opinions/scoring
    Maybe after that, stick the top two up for a once off public vote.

You could make it into a TV doc series A Search for Europe with the final 2 songs voted upon by the .... Public :D

LordBasil wrote: »
    Exactly, Irish artists need to realise ESC has moved on so much from the cheese fest it used to be. It is becoming bigger and more credible every year. They should view the contest as a tremendous opportunity to promote their music on a global stage. Duncan Laurence gained a billion streams on Spotify and Maneskin are a very credible act in the Italian music scene as are the likes of Hurricane, Barbara Pravi & Sergey Lazarev in their respective domestic markets.

Ireland is really falling behind everyone else, even if you look look at our qualification history compared to other similar sized or smaller countries over the past 7 Contests (2014 - 2021);

Ireland qualified 1 Time
    Croatia, Georgia & Latvia qualified 2 Times
    Estonia, Czech Republic, Iceland & San Marino qualified 3 Times
    Malta, Albania, Slovenia & Lithuania qualified 4 Times
    Cyprus qualified 6 Times

Something needs to change in RTE regarding the way our entries are selected.

Yes, it's ridiculous to be playing gigs for perhaps 500 people in Ireland but then think you are "too good" for Eurovision.

Ireland's qualification record is woeful. We seem to have gone totally backwards since 2018 (Ryan O'Shaughnessy) and not kicked on at all. Too many bland and generic entries and vocalists who are not up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Sienad o connor would be awful

Drama queen, very high maintenance. Constantly looking for attention

She’d probably stop her performance to do some sort of bs statement rather than , y’know, actually singing the damn song ...

It’s a no from me Bob

She made a great statement about church cover ups don’t belittle it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

She made a great statement about church cover ups don’t belittle it

I’m not interested in her statements

She is unhinged- has been for years- and is too much of a risk to allow do Eurovision.

Other comments on the thread back that up.

She is unhinged- has been for years- and is too much of a risk to allow do Eurovision.

She’s not a risk don’t be silly

What she is , is too old for Eurovision

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

What she is , is too old for Eurovision

maxresdefault.jpg

I’m not fans of picture this and “wild” youth but that’s where we should be looking , new young bands that have essentially made it already

No way the Italian guy was doing lines on camera. When he dips his head down you can see both his left and right hands. Never seen someone snort lines without blocking one nostril!

maxresdefault.jpg

Exactly

25th place

Pussyhands wrote: »
    No way the Italian guy was doing lines on camera. When he dips his head down you can see both his left and right hands. Never seen someone snort lines without blocking one nostril!

Unless doing 2 lines

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Re the whole cocaine thing.

He wouldn't be the first who liked the coke at Eurovision.
    To make a long story short, in a local pub a few years ago I knew one bloke who claimed he was a back up singer for the Irish Eurovision entrant one year. Tall tales I thought. But after mentioning it yet again a few were like "you didn't your bollocks" so he opens up YouTube and lo and behold he was.

He then proceeds to tell us all that the night before the Eurovision he, along with the other backup singers and the Eurovision entrant himself were going around bar to bar trying to score coke in the city.

Hardly shocking tho isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Her song and video for "Take me to Church" would have been a great EuroVision entry...
    Dunno if her current religious adventure would allow her perform it now, what you don't need is a performer using the stage for a religious/political protest.
    Incredible voice, though.

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Her song and video for "Take me to Church" would have been a great EuroVision entry...
    Dunno if her current religious adventure would allow her perform it now, what you don't need is a performer using the stage for a religious/political protest.
    Incredible voice, though.

I fear she would try and make it all about her, irrespective of whether she staged a protest or not. It would be a potential car crash in the making anyway - no guarantee she would even do well in the voting. A lot of younger viewers across Europe have probably never even heard of her.

Advertisement