Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

richie123 wrote: »
    Price has rose 25 cent in past few weeks.if it was a cartel there would be no price rise would you not agree ?
    Would lack of supply with the kill being down have anything to do with it ?
    Demand being up?

I'm saying it a long time like a broken recorder at this stage..less stock is more money at less cost for the farmer.

Ah Richie, they couldn't do the dog on it altogether and basically invite in inspection. At some point, unless they yielded a bit the price control would be undeniable. They're very much stretching credulity, as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

The factories are funny, they work as a cartel but would cut one another on a regular basis too. Nothing pissed them off more than loosing cattle they thought they were sure off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

richie123 wrote: »
    Price has rose 25 cent in past few weeks.if it was a cartel there would be no price rise would you not agree ?
    Would lack of supply with the kill being down have anything to do with it ?
    Demand being up?

I'm saying it a long time like a broken recorder at this stage..less stock is more money at less cost for the farmer.

It all very well to talk about reducing stocking rates. While I agree that lads should only work on profitability. There are many things outside farmers control.

An interesting factor is looking at the risk of destocking. There is talk at present of a nitrates quota being assigned to every farm. Therefore reducing stock numbers could have other implications. This could leave individual farmers who take this action exposed.

There is a huge push to reduce slaughter age. It is being pushed as an answer to climate change. There is no questioning the cost implications by the powers that be. It's a massive flawed assumption that we can reduce slaughter age without incurring extra cost as well as the implications to reintroducing seasonality to the slaughtering process.

The dairy sector will not not allow wholesale calf slaughtering, live export of calves,weanlings and cattle is on a fine thread and we have the dairy herd growing at 50k+/year.

Another interesting fact we now know. If as Board Bia states that the UK market had extra demand in the first quarter how come we had pressure on beef prices in February which coincided with the need of processor's to fill feedlots for May/June slaughter

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

It all very well to talk about reducing stocking rates. While I agree that lads should only work on profitability. There are many things outside farmers control.

An interesting factor is looking at the risk of destocking. There is talk at present of a nitrates quota being assigned to every farm. Therefore reducing stock numbers could have other implications. This could leave individual farmers who take this action exposed.

There is a huge push to reduce slaughter age. It is being pushed as an answer to climate change. There is no questioning the cost implications by the powers that be. It's a massive flawed assumption that we can reduce slaughter age without incurring extra cost as well as the implications to reintroducing seasonality to the slaughtering process.

The dairy sector will not not allow wholesale calf slaughtering, live export of calves,weanlings and cattle is on a fine thread and we have the dairy herd growing at 50k+/year.

Another interesting fact we now know. If as Board Bia states that the UK market had extra demand in the first quarter how come we had pressure on beef prices in February which coincided with the need of processor's to fill feedlots for May/June slaughter

Sure the whole thing is one big sorry mess as far as I can see and climate change is gonna be a massive pain in the hole with regards beef farming.hard to know what way its gonna go but its not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭amacca

So you reckon we could be in a reference year for stock quota type scenario?

If it's the environment we are trying to protect then reducing slaughter age is a counter productive "solution" imo

It's just going to lead to more numbers to try turn a profit, increased inputs and decreased prices unless the aim is to drive people out of business so they can plant anything that isn't a dairy farm.

If you increased the slaughter age so cattle have time to come into weight naturally without pumping meal etc into them and pay a half decent price then I'd almost think stocking rates would be lower as the more obviously efficient system would be invest very little and wait till they come into weight

They should be left with any narrow arse short gestation runts they turn out imo.......that might encourage producing something actually worth rearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭Good loser

On a 340 kg carcasse there is now a 270 euro difference between the UK and Ireland even after the f@@king 25c. Where we are now we should have been at Christmas. The penny is even dropping now with those that gave the market forces BS up to now. Every farm organisation is up in arms over it at this stage. I suppose we will have some one trot on soon and blame BP

We do not have a God given right to get the English/British market price.
    The British consumer decides he wants British beef and the supermarkets deliver.
    (Our prices are 10/20 c higher than Europe average - admittedly R3 bulls; are they not more entitled to complain than us?)
    Naturally as the price gap grows demand adjusts and more people will stop paying the 'British premium'; this rises prices in Ireland as happened recently.
    Irish factories adjust to market forces (as slowly as possible - again market forces). The prices will oscillate until the long term average is re established. Probably at €100/head lower.

Times are good now. As Brexit continues I think the omens are bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭grange mac

Skibb today U= Charolais bullocks *3, 2 gold & 1 white. 545kg 1600.
    Black R-, AA bullock 660kg 1600.....
    Good luck to buyers making money after giving those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

grange mac wrote: »
    Skibb today U= Charolais *3, 2 gold & 1 white. 545kg 1600.
    Black R-, AA 660kg 1600.....

Bullocks is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Probably gone to a feedlot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Probably gone to a feedlot

Not in skibb. Theres one chap there fools around with those big cattle close by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Not in skibb. Theres one chap there fools around with those big cattle close by.

Fool being the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭kk.man

Need not worry they'll make money for the next guy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There has to be at least two bidders for a price. Great money, organic wouldn't make that a few weeks ago, but not complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

640kg 15 months €1460 Bullock
    600kg 14 months €1370 Bullock
    375kg 11 months €980 Heifer
    895kg Cow €1880
    975kg Cow €2060

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

I have 15 dairy bred Whitehead heifers around the 420kg mark. Lovely shape to them. Only one move on the card.
    What sort of money are they making presently?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭Grueller

locky76 wrote: »
    I have 15 dairy bred Whitehead heifers around the 420kg mark. Lovely shape to them. Only one move on the card.
    What sort of money are they making presently?

€900
    I bought some at €2.20 a kilo a month ago

Grueller wrote: »
    €900
    I bought some at €2.20 a kilo a month ago

Prices could struggle for next few weeks because of grass. As well any castle selling now will be at grass 2-3 weeks+ so a lot of the early compensatory growth may be gone

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

Ch bullock 530kg Dec 19 €1,100
    Ch bullock 370kg Feb 20 €940
    Lm bullock 410kg Mar 20 €900

They were good quality but only sold the lighter Ch.

I've demoralised myself completely now by going back to Oct 20 weights, they made little weight up in the meantime......on 2kg nuts per day.

Offered €2.50/€2.45 per kg in mid February before the father realised they weren't in test. Scalded now.

Think I'll see if we could get rid of the 10 best at housing time and keep the rest. We've a good decent hill with water so they become very low maintenance and tear away over there and thrive the finest. I wonder would AA or HE be better there than continentals though sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

Sold 460kg Friesian bullocks (February 2020) in Bandon today - €785 - happy enough tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Hershall

Prices could struggle for next few weeks because of grass. As well any castle selling now will be at grass 2-3 weeks+ so a lot of the early compensatory growth may be gone

Some cattle being sold now might look cheaper but if theyre out a while and have a good thrive done theyre poor value

• Advertisement

trg wrote: »
    Ch bullock 530kg Dec 19 €1,100
    Ch bullock 370kg Feb 20 €940
    Lm bullock 410kg Mar 20 €900

They were good quality but only sold the lighter Ch.

I've demoralised myself completely now by going back to Oct 20 weights, they made little weight up in the meantime......on 2kg nuts per day.

Offered €2.50/€2.45 per kg in mid February before the father realised they weren't in test. Scalded now.

Think I'll see if we could get rid of the 10 best at housing time and keep the rest. We've a good decent hill with water so they become very low maintenance and tear away over there and thrive the finest. I wonder would AA or HE be better there than continentals though sometimes.

This BEEP scheme weighting is opening a lot of lads eyes. Neighbour weighted weanlings late in September last year. He had them in the last week difference between Autumn and weight now was only 60 kgs. They are out about 3 weeks. They would have got. Kg of ration inside. Allowing for 30 kgs difference in fresh and mart weight his weanling only did 30 kgs in last 7 months. Sage would be cut in late June

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

This BEEP scheme weighting is opening a lot of lads eyes. Neighbour weighted weanlings late in September last year. He had them in the last week difference between Autumn and weight now was only 60 kgs. They are out about 3 weeks. They would have got. Kg of ration inside. Allowing for 30 kgs difference in fresh and mart weight his weanling only did 30 kgs in last 7 months. Sage would be cut in late June

That seems very poor wt. gain especially giving them meal. I had 4 heifer yearlings in mart Friday. I weighed late in September too before weaning, they gained 150kg (2 butty ZAG) to 200kg (AAx) over the winter on end may haylage & 1kg nuts a day. No grass to let them out to so no choice but sell them.
    AAx 940e at 460kg, Black LMxs 840e 410kg, Pair 700e average 350kg. No grà for black LMx at all

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

How many KGs meal did they get?

Yeah not a chance they'd have been weighed without BEEP alright. I like it for that, knowledge is power.

I know you're not a fan of meal feeding to their equals.

Would they have gone back in weight if we hadn't bothered? And if so I wonder would they have caught up by time they're year and a half. We don't test the silage but what ever aftergrass silage is in it they get it. Rest of it must be poor quality.

We're going to sell the 10 best around housing time this autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭kk.man

Many don't realise this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I'll go through my weight gain tonight if I get a chance and I'll post quantities of meal as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Anyone else have trouble with the marteye app today round lunchtime?maybe it's my connection,but i find i often have to delete it & reinstall again to get it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

Iv noticed with the livestock live page I can no longer see previous prices or video highlights without subscribing for premium. Worked perfect until last few days. Was handy to see how sales went.

mickey1985 wrote: »
    Iv noticed with the livestock live page I can no longer see previous prices or video highlights without subscribing for premium. Worked perfect until last few days. Was handy to see how sales went.

Ya this is a new thing. They can f@@k off if they think I will pay. I might for a month or two out when I am buying cattle but not all year around.....not sure even then

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Ya this is a new thing. They can f@@k off if they think I will pay. I might for a month or two out when I am buying cattle but not all year around.....not sure even then
    You were raving about how you knew all the prices from the marts not too long ago ,now you would rather spend half the day in the mart not to mind the cost of diesel to get there .I think it is a mighty good service for farmers and can not see how marts could carry the full cost of this service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Agree b@llox to that
    Interestingly was watching a suckler cow sale on Friday and was suprised to see a cow get multiple bids before she entered the ring never saw that at a live audience sale.
    Find it funny that its never a problem for auctioneers getting a starting bid on an animal now.
    Like on line auctions but if people start to loose faith in the process it will fail.

Advertisement